Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

300 series - groundhog launch

fury series - challenger launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm picking up my gtx 1080 tonight. I can't wait to play Dirt Rally at a billion fps on my gsync monitor

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm picking up my gtx 1080 tonight. I can't wait to play Dirt Rally at a billion fps on my gsync monitor

Everyone should post every time they are about to get a video card. That would really be the thing to make the thread, and by extension, America, great again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

limp launch

I was actually going to ask in this thread if anybody's has shipped yet as mine hasn't either. But, its only 1:30 in CA and shipper pickups are always late so I'm still hopeful. They did charge my card though so that's actually a good sign

I got the successful charge notification not too long after the order went through last night so I have to imagine they actually have the cards and should ship them today. I hate myself for not thinking to do 3 day shipping since if it doesn't go out by end of day today there's probably zero chance of me getting it before next week.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Happy to do my part

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

repiv posted:

Vega - Godot Launch

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

limp launch

I was actually going to ask in this thread if anybody's has shipped yet as mine hasn't either. But, its only 1:30 in CA and shipper pickups are always late so I'm still hopeful. They did charge my card though so that's actually a good sign

Mine just shipped, got the FedEx tracking # moments ago, so I'm guessing you and Fluffy will be getting yours soon, since we all seem to have ordered within a few seconds of each other.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LogicalFallacy posted:

In my situation, I'm in a Rosewill Challenger U3. And the drive bays are up at the front of the case.
Picture for illustration:

If you look closely, you'll notice that the very end of the GPU is inside my 3.5" drive bay. Also I can never get over how absurdly massive my CPU cooler is.

If you aren't using the 5.25" bays, might I suggest a 3x5.25 to 4/5x3.5". That way you could remove the drive cage and increase the air intake on the front.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

Mine just shipped, got the FedEx tracking # moments ago, so I'm guessing you and Fluffy will be getting yours soon, since we all seem to have ordered within a few seconds of each other.

:woop: me too.

Can't wait to see the huge jump in performance from my garbage 980ti

oh wait

I'll probably be the most underwhelmed 1070 owner on the planet for a day or two lol

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Evil Fluffy posted:

I :f5:d the gently caress out of Newegg last night when I saw Gigabyte was going to launch their G1 1070s at midnight and managed to order one (hasn't shipped yet though :sigh:) so if you're really lucky you might get one at any time. Use the part tracker website and alerts if nothing else.

These things are selling so quick that even Nowinstock can't keep up. I have product alerts both through there and notifiers set up on EVGA's website.

I've had both trigger today and in both cases I clicked to go buy it the moment I got the notification, and they were already sold out. :sigh:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Congratulations on your side grade. The only sensible, beneficial upgrade for a 980 Ti owner is a 1080 Ti.

Even though it's probably going to cost like $800.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Hubis posted:

Vega - Godot Launch

Lisa:
Well? Shall we launch?

Raja:
Yes, let's launch.
They do not launch

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SlayVus posted:

Congratulations on your side grade. The only sensible, beneficial upgrade for a 980 Ti owner is a 1080 Ti.

Yeah for real, I'll just claim "it uses less power" and "the new features" but in reality I just didn't want to pay for a 1080 and in the end it cost less than what I sold my 980ti for. Looking forward to 1080ti/vega, im sure the 1070 will keep me happy because the 980ti kept me happy and they seem virtually identical with a tiny tiny edge to the 1070

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
B&H in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1258461-REG/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_founders.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Peanut3141 posted:

Yep, just shipped so hopefully it manages to get here Saturday since I don't think FedEx does Sunday deliveries.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
For those wondering if orders to Newegg are actually getting fulfilled, I now have a 1080 Strix at my house (and I'm on vacation elsewhere). I mean, I didn't ask my wife to actually open the box and check, but there you go.

It does seem to be, while not a paper launch, at least a supply-constrained one. I'm not sure if anyone has sources for the "G5X is the constraint" rumors that have been mentioned here, but I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case as they seem to be single-sourcing it from Micron.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am really jealous of the Tax free Newegg states. Sucks trying to budget for stuff and having to pretty much tack on another 10% to the cost for tax. :(

Also with all the RX480 stuff going on, doesn't it seem a little similar to the ATI 3000 era days? Coming from the beast that was the 1950XTX's then the short lived and fast but hot as hell 2900XT's, then hitting only up to say midrange levels with the 3870 before the 4870 finally arrived to bring some competitiveish high end back into the game again. (Sure the X2 sort of helped as well with a 2 cards 1 board craze that had lasted until the Titan Z / Fury Duo but probably won't return until VR SLI becomes a thing).

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

oh wait

I'll probably be the most underwhelmed 1070 owner on the planet for a day or two lol

I'm coming from a 7950, so I expect my mind to be blown. I'm finally going to get Witcher 3 and max out everything at 1080p. I'm also hoping that I can finally turn everything to max in the horribly-optimized but awesome thing that is XCOM2.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

I'm coming from a 7950, so I expect my mind to be blown. I'm finally going to get Witcher 3 and max out everything at 1080p. I'm also hoping that I can finally turn everything to max in the horribly-optimized but awesome thing that is XCOM2.

That's going to be a big jump :)

(although dont be shocked if XCOM still fucks up lol)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

afkmacro posted:

When I can actually buy a 1070 AIB at a reasonable price? my 280x is dying. :(

480 seems like a good card for its price.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/radeon-rx-470-benchmarks.html

So according to this the RX 470 is roughly 5% slower than the 970.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gonkish posted:

This sounds implausible to me, but if true then AMD may have done the difficult and be positioned very well.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

oh wait

Going from the high, or higher, end part to slightly less high end is always underwhelming. Going from a 6970 to a 280X was kinda like, "That's it?", although the worst one for me was actually switching from a 4ghz 940 to an E6600 that refused to go above 3.2ghz. The Core2 benched higher but there was no noticeable difference in games and it felt like a waste. On the plus side it pushed me to get a Q6600 so it was nice having a quad when most people were still using dual cores.

Edit: depending on AIB 480 overclocking I wonder if it's worth trying to flip my 390..

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
MSI Armor 1070 just came in stock for 1 second on Newegg. I wonder if they are literally updating stock with like 1 card :classiclol:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

GP104 - Holodomor launch.

Gonkish posted:

This fits with a 1792SP part based upon the WCCFTech, Chinese, and original 3DMark leaks, so it's looking that WCCFTech has legitimate info while VDZ got fooled by Firestrike misreporting on an RX470.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GP100 - Unicorn launch

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lDDQD posted:

Counterpoint: nvidia's drivers are equally trash.
Source: I've actually owned cards from both companies.

It's been a while since I ran AMD graphics other than the integrated video on my netbook, but I generally have to say that over the years Nvidia has had much better drivers than AMD. When AMD acquired ATI one of my real hopes was that they would start putting out competent drivers, but that never really seemed to happen.

I will say that the Nvidia drivers this year have been a goddamn trash fire - after 362.00 they have released a string of garbage driver updates, both on Windows and Linux. I don't know if they diverted resources to get the 1070 and 1080 out the door, but I have never seen Nvidia put out so many bad drivers before.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's been a while since I ran AMD graphics other than the integrated video on my netbook, but I generally have to say that over the years Nvidia has had much better drivers than AMD. When AMD acquired ATI one of my real hopes was that they would start putting out competent drivers, but that never really seemed to happen.

I will say that the Nvidia drivers this year have been a goddamn trash fire - after 362.00 they have released a string of garbage driver updates, both on Windows and Linux. I don't know if they diverted resources to get the 1070 and 1080 out the door, but I have never seen Nvidia put out so many bad drivers before.

After reading about the approaches taken with DX11 vs DX12 posted here earlier, I wonder if their code base just progressively integrates more and more game-specific optimizations and workarounds over time and has become this nightmarish noodly mess

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Bleh Maestro posted:

MSI Armor 1070 just came in stock for 1 second on Newegg. I wonder if they are literally updating stock with like 1 card :classiclol:

Probably just expired from someones shopping cart?

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

fletcher posted:

Probably just expired from someones shopping cart?

Doesn't save it until after you've completed the order. You can make it all the way through and then have them cancel the order.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What I meant is that Vega's specs are in question, I had thought that was completely obvious... What happens if Vega comes out and it's about as impressive as Fury X was?
Vega is based on Polaris 10 which is looking to be pretty good so yes you can always play the "what if" game but so far there isn't any reason rationally believe there will be a issue with it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There was a trick before on Newegg to check their stock supply where you added as much to your cart as possible and the number in your cart would be capped to their supply once you refreshed, that doesn't work still, does it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

After reading about the approaches taken with DX11 vs DX12 posted here earlier, I wonder if their code base just progressively integrates more and more game-specific optimizations and workarounds over time and has become this nightmarish noodly mess

That is exactly what drivers have become over the years.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

necrobobsledder posted:

There was a trick before on Newegg to check their stock supply where you added as much to your cart as possible and the number in your cart would be capped to their supply once you refreshed, that doesn't work still, does it?

even if it did, it'd just say 0

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Every couple of years I decide to give AMD a chance and I am always pushed away by their awful driver support. I am really amazed how they have never gotten them under control especially at this point.

Granted there has been some recent Nvidia issues but my god they at least work 95% of the time at the worst. I had a r360 for testing a few months ago and the driver would crash and recover several times a day, the same issue I had with a 4870 5(?) years before. I like what AMD does with their hardware but until they can get a solid set of drivers it will always be a second tier solution, at least for me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

Every couple of years I decide to give AMD a chance and I am always pushed away by their awful driver support. I am really amazed how they have never gotten them under control especially at this point.

Granted there has been some recent Nvidia issues but my god they at least work 95% of the time at the worst. I had a r360 for testing a few months ago and the driver would crash and recover several times a day, the same issue I had with a 4870 5(?) years before. I like what AMD does with their hardware but until they can get a solid set of drivers it will always be a second tier solution, at least for me.

yeah this is one thousand percent Your Fault because that's not something most people experience. how does it even need to be stated that, duh, it's not normal for your drivers to crash daily? did you just assume everyone else was quietly living with it?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
For all the talk of "paper launches" the 1080s really haven't been that difficult to get ahold of. Between nowinstock.net and manually checking a few other sites not listed there (e.g. Dell.com, Frys.com), they've been showing up in stock pretty regularly over the past couple of days. And it's not like I'm hovering over these sites hitting refresh, just randomly looking once or twice a day and noticing usually there's at least one available on one of these sites whenever I do look. Admittedly they're usually the Founders Editions though, if you're looking for a specific aftermarket card from a specific manufacturer the available supply pool is likely smaller.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Weird how the Asus 1070 has 2x DisplayPort and 2x HDMI rather than the 3/1 everyone else is using

Also the initial prices I'm seeing on the new cards here (NZ) make me feel better about shelling out for a 970 not so many months ago

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That is exactly what drivers have become over the years.

Sorta. Whenever you try to load a shader program into your GPU, the driver will first check it against its database of known shader programs. What AMD and nvidia do, is they look for poorly-written, inefficient shaders that developers ship, and then re-write them. Anyway, if a match is found, it will load the re-written version of the shader instead of the one that you attempted to load. Otherwise, I guess it has no choice but to actually run the shader code you gave it.

So it's not so much integrated into the driver, as it's this weird feature, where they maintain a database of replacement shader programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Djarum posted:

If you're getting multiple driver crashes a day, then something is wrong hardware or software wise with the system in it's entirety. Could be a bad installation of windows, bad RAM causing bad installation of drivers, bad motherboard, bad installation in general, bad hard drive causing bad installation, or bad video card that's just causing the drivers to crash.