Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

necrobobsledder posted:

There was a trick before on Newegg to check their stock supply where you added as much to your cart as possible and the number in your cart would be capped to their supply once you refreshed, that doesn't work still, does it?
Sort of still works. They appear to have changed their system and now do per customer limits on some cards that are supply limited so you can't see total stock numbers on everything.

I believe that generally if you see a per customer limit for a card you should assume they have hardly any in stock.

Djarum posted:

I had a r360 for testing a few months ago and the driver would crash and recover several times a day, the same issue I had with a 4870 5(?) years before.
Something was wrong either with your card, driver install, or both. Even back in the ATi days this wasn't common or normal with beta drivers.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Don't know if this was already posted or not, but AMD confirmed the specifications of the Polaris 10 and 11.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/amd-radeon-rx-480-vr-benchmark/

quote:

Polaris 10 is the more powerful of the two GPUs, with 36 Compute Units and 2304 Stream Processors, 5 TFLOPS of compute performance, a 256-bit memory bus, 4th generation GCN technology and support for 4K Encode/Decode as well as DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 HDR.

Polaris 11 is the slower variant with 16 Compute Units and 1024 Stream Processors, 2 TFLOPS of compute performance, a 128-bit memory bus as well as the same 4K encode/decode and DisplayPort capabilities.

So, Polaris 10 is going to 2304 Stream Processors, possibly 128 Texture Mapping Units, and 32 Render Output Units(Aka 2304:128:32). This will put the Polaris 10 slightly above a R9 380X, which has 2048:128:32 @ 3.9 TFLOPS of Compute. Going off wikipedia the Polaris 10 with it's 2304 SPs and 5 TFLOPs, putting it's base clock speed at roughly 1085Mhz. Thereby making the GigaPixel and GigaTexture performance of 34.72 GP/s and 138.88 GT/s. Which does make it in fact faster than a R9 380X, but doesn't necessarily make it faster than even a GTX 970. Because to really drive all the HMDs that are coming out, you need GP/s performance.

A compute unit from the previous generation consisted of 1 ROP per 1 CU. I just based the TMUs off the fact that all GPUs with 32 CUs from previous generations never had more than 128 TMUs, so I just gave it the max of 128. TFLOPs = Base Clock x SPs | GP/s = Base Clock x ROPs | GT/s = Base Clock x TMUs

So, VR will be possible for the masses. However, IMHO it's not going to be the comfortable VR experience.

Edit: Looking at Reddit's SteamVR Performance Tests Wiki page, the base R9 380 with even an i5-4670 gets below a 4.0 from Valve. I can't imagine that an R9 380X will get higher than a 5.0. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/systems

Edit 2: According to Tom's Hardware's SteamVR Test results with an R9 380X and a 4670k, you barely get a 4.6 from the benchmark.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 16, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SlayVus posted:

If you're getting multiple driver crashes a day, then something is wrong hardware or software wise with the system in it's entirety. Could be a bad installation of windows, bad RAM causing bad installation of drivers, bad motherboard, bad installation in general, bad hard drive causing bad installation, or bad video card that's just causing the drivers to crash.

It is the "driver has crashed and recovered" nonsense. I have only ever gotten it with AMD cards, hardware independent. I think I have only gotten it once with a Nvidia card in a decade.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

lDDQD posted:

Sorta. Whenever you try to load a shader program into your GPU, the driver will first check it against its database of known shader programs. What AMD and nvidia do, is they look for poorly-written, inefficient shaders that developers ship, and then re-write them. Anyway, if a match is found, it will load the re-written version of the shader instead of the one that you attempted to load. Otherwise, I guess it has no choice but to actually run the shader code you gave it.

So it's not so much integrated into the driver, as it's this weird feature, where they maintain a database of replacement shader programs.

Well, the shaders you get from applications are also in an intermediate bytecode (in DirectX anyways) so there is actually an internal compiler in the driver that can do lots of different optimizations depending on what the shader/hardware is. It's kind of like JIT optimization.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

It is the "driver has crashed and recovered" nonsense. I have only ever gotten it with AMD cards, hardware independent. I think I have only gotten it once with a Nvidia card in a decade.

"if it smells like poo poo everywhere you go, look under your shoe"

the fact of the matter is that this isn't remotely a common issue with AMD drivers, i've never once experienced it, so it's ridiculous for you to hold it against them when something else is clearly the root cause.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SlayVus posted:

This will put the Polaris 10 slightly above a R9 380X
Don't forget AMD made some architectural improvements, its not just a die shrunk 380 or 390. Other leaked benches have shown it performing closer to a 980 than a 970 on synthetic tests. I'd prefer to see real world frame rates and latency performance numbers myself but it looks to be a pretty decent card for entry level VR and 1440p gaming.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SlayVus posted:

Don't know if this was already posted or not, but AMD confirmed the specifications of the Polaris 10 and 11.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/amd-radeon-rx-480-vr-benchmark/

So, Polaris 10 is going to 2304 Stream Processors, possibly 128 Texture Mapping Units, and 32 Render Output Units(Aka 2304:128:32). This will put the Polaris 10 slightly above a R9 380X, which has 2048:128:32 @ 3.9 TFLOPS of Compute. Going off wikipedia the Polaris 10 with it's 2304 SPs and 5 TFLOPs, putting it's base clock speed at roughly 1085Mhz. Thereby making the GigaPixel and GigaTexture performance of 34.72 GP/s and 138.88 GT/s. Which does make it in fact faster than a R9 380X, but doesn't necessarily make it faster than even a GTX 970. Because to really drive all the HMDs that are coming out, you need GP/s performance.

A compute unit from the previous generation consisted of 1 ROP per 1 CU. I just based the TMUs off the fact that all GPUs with 32 CUs from previous generations never had more than 128 TMUs, so I just gave it the max of 128. TFLOPs = Base Clock x SPs | GP/s = Base Clock x ROPs | GT/s = Base Clock x TMUs

So, VR will be possible for the masses. However, IMHO it's not going to be the comfortable VR experience.

Edit: Looking at Reddit's SteamVR Performance Tests Wiki page, the base R9 380 with even an i5-4670 gets below a 4.0 from Valve. I can't imagine that an R9 380X will get higher than a 5.0. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/systems

Edit 2: According to Tom's Hardware's SteamVR Test results with an R9 380X and a 4670k, you barely get a 4.6 from the benchmark.

Actually, based on most released information, the RX480 appears to be twice as powerful as a 380X, the 380Xs closest equivalent in the new lineup will likely be an OCed RX460.

RX480 = R9 Fury
RX470 = R9 290
RX460 = R9 380

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Djarum posted:

I got that from my GTX 260 when it was on its way out, and from my 970 but that got fixed. It isn't really normal and is normally failing hardware or something really wrong with your config.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Djarum posted:

I hadn't seen it until this year and with the Nvidia drivers after 362.00. I'm still considering rolling back to that driver because even under the current driver (368.39) I am seeing issues. They have really released a bunch of dumpster fire drivers the last few months.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I hadn't seen it until this year and with the Nvidia drivers after 362.00. I'm still considering rolling back to that driver because even under the current driver (368.39) I am seeing issues. They have really released a bunch of dumpster fire drivers the last few months.

I've seen the same. Use DDU, it solved it for me.

I've seen the same literally thousands of times with AMD as well but that's not worth getting into

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

i get that there are a lot of amd apologists on this here forum, but as someone who has suffered ptsd from dealing with months of significant frame loss issues in counter-strike and (other games, too, but mostly counter-strike) rolling back my drivers every time an update came out, amd can suck on eggs.

hd7870 to gtx1070 was a long needed change. sure you can save a few bucks and tout your "price-to-performance ratio" but i'd much rather have dedicated driver support and infrastructure to back whatever unnecessarily expensive graphics card i'm forced to buy

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Smithereens posted:

i get that there are a lot of amd apologists on this here forum, but as someone who has suffered ptsd from dealing with months of significant frame loss issues in counter-strike and (other games, too, but mostly counter-strike) rolling back my drivers every time an update came out, amd can suck on eggs.

hd7870 to gtx1070 was a long needed change. sure you can save a few bucks and tout your "price-to-performance ratio" but i'd much rather have dedicated driver support and infrastructure to back whatever unnecessarily expensive graphics card i'm forced to buy

People that have dealt with driver issues on Fermi cards after Kepler launched could probably write similar rants but you don't see goons offering Nvidia to suck on eggs.

(CS:GO is particularly funny because I've seen a lot of people fixing frame drops by updating their ancient integrated audio drivers)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, sound drivers are another dumb thing. MPlayer puts this in its log if it detects your video stuttering:
code:
           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
But nobody ever thinks about updating that, they always just tell you to update your GPU driver. Then blame AMD :v:

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Arzachel posted:

People that have dealt with driver issues on Fermi cards after Kepler launched could probably write similar rants but you don't see goons offering Nvidia to suck on eggs.

(CS:GO is particularly funny because I've seen a lot of people fixing frame drops by updating their ancient integrated audio drivers)

serious question: if my issue was solved by reverting to old video drivers, what interaction with audio drivers would have been the problem? i feel like you are conflating my anecdotal problem with others', which i think misses the point.

idg what you are trying to suggest, except make some kind of weak "everyone has issues" argument about why nvidia is the white devil, when nvidia seems to have significantly less game-ruining issues. a lot of people suffered from crashes and serious frame loss in a non-graphics intensive game like counter-strike because of catalyst/crimson drivers. the last time it happened for me was the wildfire operation where i would just crash to desktop over and over again. it's happened more than once and it took more than a few weeks each time for crimson driver updates to fix the problem, and it's not like i was the only one affected.

instead of suggesting that i am some kind of mislead grass is greener fool, maybe you can provide me with some actual benefits of owning an amd card other than price alone, because lord knows if amd actually had a good card comparable to 1070 (in terms of performance/tdp/temp) with similar developer/driver support that nvidia gives that is cheaper than the current 1070 i would've bought that instead because i like to consider myself an informed buyer, esports enthusiast, and all-round sensitive gamer

Truga posted:

Yeah, sound drivers are another dumb thing. MPlayer puts this in its log if it detects your video stuttering:
code:
           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
But nobody ever thinks about updating that, they always just tell you to update your GPU driver. Then blame AMD :v:

same as above.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Smithereens posted:

serious question: if my issue was solved by reverting to old video drivers, what interaction with audio drivers would have been the problem? i feel like you are conflating my anecdotal problem with others', which i think misses the point.

idg what you are trying to suggest, except make some kind of weak "everyone has issues" argument about why nvidia is the white devil, when nvidia seems to have significantly less game-ruining issues. a lot of people suffered from crashes and serious frame loss in a non-graphics intensive game like counter-strike because of catalyst/crimson drivers. the last time it happened for me was the wildfire operation where i would just crash to desktop over and over again. it's happened more than once and it took more than a few weeks each time for crimson driver updates to fix the problem, and it's not like i was the only one affected.

Nvidia seems to have less issues, because you personally haven't had any.

quote:

instead of suggesting that i am some kind of mislead grass is greener fool, maybe you can provide me with some actual benefits of owning an amd card other than price alone, because lord knows if amd actually had a good card comparable to 1070 (in terms of performance/tdp/temp) with similar developer/driver support that nvidia gives that is cheaper than the current 1070 i would've bought that instead because i like to consider myself an informed buyer, esports enthusiast, and all-round sensitive gamer

Undervolting and overvolting without having to bios mod, Freesync monitors don't cost 100-200$ extra, frame rate limiting doesn't require 3rd party apps. I'm probably building a desktop with a 480 later this year and the only feature I would honestly miss is Shadowplay.

Edit: I'm not trying to belittle the issues you had, troubleshooting performance/driver issues sucks when you just want poo poo to work. Just know that both companies have had their fair share of blunders.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 16, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Smithereens posted:

same as above.

It could be literally anything at all. This may be news to you, but all components in your PC are connected. Maybe nvidia opted to just ignore sound sync issues in their CSGO driver hacks, so they don't drop frames when they have to wait for sound, while due to new ~directx~ specifications you're not supposed to do that, so AMD didn't (I made this up, I'm sure it's actually something far more complicated)? Who the gently caress knows, but that's the wrong way to do things, because then you have to do this for *every* game that has issues with sound. I'm sure this doesn't concern you, but blaming AMD on every single issue your computer has is dumb and bad for everyone involved, including nvidia, and especially you. You pay for for this bullshit, whether you like it or not.

People bitch and moan about nvidia prices, hell, I'd charge 3 times the price they are if I had to fix people's broken audio drivers in my GPU driver.

I'm not saying AMD's drivers are perfect, or even good, because they are not, but saying nvidia drivers are better in any single loving way in TYOOL 2016 is disingenuous at best. I've had 4 blue screens just in the last 3-4 weeks playing FF14 with latest nvidia drivers (because I *need* them for VR to run without inducing sick), and people reported all kinds of dumb poo poo happening with a bunch of drivers a couple months ago (which I thankfully skipped entirely). When I was running nvidia drivers from mid 2015, there were zero issues, on the other hand. Maybe nvidia should :gitgud:, because I haven't had driver or blue screen issues with my AMD 6950 cards since 2012.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arzachel posted:

Undervolting and overvolting without having to bios mod, Freesync monitors don't cost 100-200$ extra, frame rate limiting doesn't require 3rd party apps. I'm probably building a desktop with a 480 later this year and the only feature I would honestly miss is Shadowplay.

This is why I'm getting a 480

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Truga posted:

I've had 4 blue screens just in the last 3-4 weeks playing FF14 with latest nvidia drivers

I have a lot of experience with this. It's most likely your case fans causing the problem

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Arzachel posted:

the way you phrase this implies confirmation bias, but considering i know both people who own and use both manufacturers, amd definitely has more issues, even if you discount the AMU complaints :classiclol:

Arzachel posted:

i don't think most people have a need to over/undervolt so flashing the bios isn't really a problem most people will encounter, but if you find overvolting fun or necessary, yeah, this would be a benefit. instead of going through the arduous task of flashing bios, i think most people would settle for using afterburner or equivalent program for overclocking and whatever.

freesync and gsync aren't really necessary unless you suffering from really low frame rates at extreme resolutions. considering that i like playing at 144hz on 1080, neither of those things benefit me at all. i consider myself a mainstream gamer, so i doubt many people would need or want freesync/gsync anyway.

why would anyone want to frame rate limit ever??

considering all those things, i think we may just have different priorities in gpu and gaming. i guess i just don't see the current merit of amd gpus or the culture to appreciate whatever niche benefit you see in them.

Arzachel posted:

Edit: I'm not trying to belittle the issues you had, troubleshooting performance/driver issues sucks when you just want poo poo to work. Just know that both companies have had their fair share of blunders.

i understand, pal. i hope that i'm not coming off as condescending or anything. i am just genuinely curious about what the benefits are. thanks for taking the time to reply :^]

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 16, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cavauro posted:

I have a lot of experience with this. It's most likely your case fans causing the problem

I wouldn't be surprised if it were, but rolling back the driver makes blue screens disappear!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

That 1080 FTW review posted a bit earlier with the garbage overclocking results spooked me a bit and made me cancel my pre-order.

I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Too many invariable right now with the AMD launch, Ti planned for later this year etc..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Was 1080Ti confirmed to be this year already? That's going to sting vega sales quite a bit. If vega even ends up better than 1080 anyway.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Truga posted:

It could be literally anything at all. This may be news to you, but all components in your PC are connected. Maybe nvidia opted to just ignore sound sync issues in their CSGO driver hacks, so they don't drop frames when they have to wait for sound, while due to new ~directx~ specifications you're not supposed to do that, so AMD didn't (I made this up, I'm sure it's actually something far more complicated)? Who the gently caress knows, but that's the wrong way to do things, because then you have to do this for *every* game that has issues with sound. I'm sure this doesn't concern you, but blaming AMD on every single issue your computer has is dumb and bad for everyone involved, including nvidia, and especially you. You pay for for this bullshit, whether you like it or not.

People bitch and moan about nvidia prices, hell, I'd charge 3 times the price they are if I had to fix people's broken audio drivers in my GPU driver.

I'm not saying AMD's drivers are perfect, or even good, because they are not, but saying nvidia drivers are better in any single loving way in TYOOL 2016 is disingenuous at best. I've had 4 blue screens just in the last 3-4 weeks playing FF14 with latest nvidia drivers (because I *need* them for VR to run without inducing sick), and people reported all kinds of dumb poo poo happening with a bunch of drivers a couple months ago (which I thankfully skipped entirely). When I was running nvidia drivers from mid 2015, there were zero issues, on the other hand. Maybe nvidia should :gitgud:, because I haven't had driver or blue screen issues with my AMD 6950 cards since 2012.

i don't think i've blamed every issue that my computer has had on amd drivers.

usually my logic goes like this:
1. game in question does not work as intended
2. restart computer
3. if restart does not fix problem, look at things that have changed between when game last worked and when game stopped working
4. revert changes

my gripes stem from my experience with amd and their drivers which i feel are the points of failure based on above method of troubleshooting.

i don't think i've suggested that nvidia drivers are the best for everyone in very way imaginable. i can say that from all of the stories and experiences that i've heard for my desired goal of online gaming, that nvidia has performed better as of recently (the past two years) than amd in terms of driver support. now, i am not trying to crush anyone's self-worth by bemoaning the horrible injustices that amd drivers have done to me, but this is only my experience and you are free to take it as you will. honestly, i feel like the way i talk about amd is a countenance more in sorrow than in anger, because they used to have comparable cards and drivers at some point before nvidia showed them the business. some of you guys need to chill out instead of aggressively shoving words in people's mouths because of some perceived sleight of your favored brand.

edit: i'm assuming, in your quote, that you meant to say AMD drivers for mid 2015

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 16, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mikojan posted:

That 1080 FTW review posted a bit earlier with the garbage overclocking results spooked me a bit and made me cancel my pre-order.

I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Too many invariable right now with the AMD launch, Ti planned for later this year etc..

Clock speed seems to be mostly limited by the chip sample itself, there will probably be some chips that benefit from better power delivery, better cooling or both but I think that for the most part you will need to wait for cards with heavily binned chips like the MSI Lightning, EVGA Classified & Kingpin and so on.

Basically I expect just about every non-blower card to hit somewhere between 1950 & 2150MHz depending on the chip sample.

Truga posted:

Was 1080Ti confirmed to be this year already? That's going to sting vega sales quite a bit. If vega even ends up better than 1080 anyway.

The 1080Ti is still an unknown, it depends on what GP102 ends up looking like.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arzachel posted:

I did, continuously (thanks 8800 and GTX 275), and consequently tell them to suck eggs. I never buy Nvidia cards that use more than bus power new, and even then I get "display driver has crashed" errors on my 750ti twice a day when I bother to play anything that uses a 3d renderer and it doesn't actually seem anything close to dying.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A non-FE MSI 1070 was in stock for 5 minutes on a site here in Aussieland. $770 is probably far too many dollarydoos, but the 1080s are ~$1200.

Now to wait and see if it actually ships.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

300 - 400 € 980Ti 6GB are popping up over here.

Really hard to convince myself to wait for the 1070 which will be between 500 - 600 € where I live.

Should I just pick up one of those cheap 980ti's? It would be for 1440p gaming upgrading from a 660 GTX.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If the 1070 is a bit too much and you dislike AMD (so no waiting for the RX480) than a used 980/Ti would sure seem like the best perf/cost high end part you'd be able to get for a long time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm satisfied with my 980Ti to the point I won't consider upgrading it until there's VR games out that won't play smoothly on it (not in a long time, considering 970 is the "min recommended", and that's probably not changing soon to not shrink the already tiny base even further).

It's a really good card. IMO, especially for 400e, and it's questionable when 6GB ram will not be enough for most games. That said, yeah, I'd wait until 480 releases as that will likely tank prices even further if nothing else, if you can wait 2-3 weeks.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Found a 980 TI Gigabyte G1 for 310€ (used but bought april 2016)

This thing has overclocked performance near stock 1080 GTX levels.

Is there any reason at all I should not jump on this?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Djarum posted:

This also happens to me occasionally (7970) but more so since going to Windows 8/8.1/10. It also happens to my dad's Windows 10 desktop with an AMD. Granted I haven't had an nvidia card since the 9600 GT so I have no clue how good/bad their drivers are.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Mikojan posted:

Are you on second hand sites? Alternate still has them well north of 500€

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Fragrag posted:

Are you on second hand sites? Alternate still has them well north of 500€

Yea, I'm just browsing Ebay at the moment.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Something I've wondered about, hypothetical scenario:

- AIB partner A, let's call them Zotac, who has 2 non-binned models of 1080
- AIB partner B, EVGA for example, that has 5 models of 1080 and is likely binning the good stuff for their higher end.

Let's say there is an EVGA model that's non-binned and that's the same cost as the Zotac's upper end model. If all other factors were equal, wouldn't the Zotac be a better buy because you might have a chance at winning the silicon lottery? Doesn't the fact that EVGA is binning their 1080's suggest that the top 10-20%* of overclocking specimens would already have been culled from the pool available for that model? *I just made that number up

It seems like if you are not buying a model known to be binned, then you should to stick to manufacturers that don't have any binned models at all.

Note, this is assuming that Zotac or other companies aren't secretly binning the chips anyways and doing something nefarious with them

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Something I've wondered about, hypothetical scenario:

- AIB partner A, let's call them Zotac, who has 2 non-binned models of 1080
- AIB partner B, EVGA for example, that has 5 models of 1080 and is likely binning the good stuff for their higher end.

Let's say there is an EVGA model that's non-binned and that's the same cost as the Zotac's upper end model. If all other factors were equal, wouldn't the Zotac be a better buy because you might have a chance at winning the silicon lottery? Doesn't the fact that EVGA is binning their 1080's suggest that the top 10-20%* of overclocking specimens would already have been culled from the pool available for that model? *I just made that number up

It seems like if you are not buying a model known to be binned, then you should to stick to manufacturers that don't have any binned models at all.

Note, this is assuming that Zotac or other companies aren't secretly binning the chips anyways and doing something nefarious with them

Zotac has definitely binned in the past so I don't see why they would not be doing that this time, pretty much all the AIBs bin their chips to some extent. Given the choice between Zotac and EVGA I'd probably go with EVGA since their customer service and warranty are top notch.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
it's called a paper launch because you're giving nvidia extra money for nothing.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mikojan posted:

Oh man that seller had the worst timing :unsmith:
Sounds fair considering 1070's will be €450+ here for the foreseeable future.
The only reason to pause would be if you're into VR or triple screen sim setups, for the new stuff Nvidia showed but who knows how that pans out.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fragrag posted:

Alternate still has them well north of 500€

Is Alternate a good place to buy from? They currently have the Cryorig H7 at half the price anyone else in the UK has it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.techpowerup.com/223440/msi-and-asus-send-vga-review-samples-with-higher-clocks-than-retail-cards

quote:

MSI and ASUS have been sending us review samples for their graphics cards with higher clock speeds out of the box, than what consumers get out of the box. The cards TechPowerUp has been receiving run at a higher software-defined clock speed profile than what consumers get out of the box. Consumers have access to the higher clock speed profile, too, but only if they install a custom app by the companies, and enable that profile. This, we feel, is not 100% representative of retail cards, and is questionable tactics by the two companies. This BIOS tweaking could also open the door to more elaborate changes like a quieter fan profile or different power management

GPU industry ftw

E: another independent report here http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-msi-accused-of-sending-modified-cards-to-the-press

Not a big deal, I guess, but why the hell would they do that? Seems tremendously naive

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I caved in and bought a 980ti on discount. EVGA FTW 2006 meme edition. A nice card for sure but now I wonder if I should step up to a nice 1070 when they're more available or return it. Guess I have a few weeks to find out.