Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've been playing catch-up, so I just finished last week's episode and I gotta say I am way more into normal Heidecker than I am into trying-to-do-a-bit Heidecker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I like Heidecker either way but yeah I'd love to have more of him just being himself with Tom, because they had a fun rapport

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. I like that he was kind of half doing a bit, but not just commiting to it for the whole call. Those ones can kind of drag.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Mike's really stirring the pot on Twitter tonight

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Toebone posted:

Mike's really stirring the pot on Twitter tonight

Really disappointing. Bring back the man who created Skeevy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What did he say? I saw Scharpling's tweet, but I think AP Mike took his down.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
He had some pretty nasty words about Islam.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
At the risk of continuing Best Show drama, did anybody save Mike's tweets?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It was just one tweet, "gently caress Allah"

Live by the millenial nerd, die by the millenial nerd.

E- @thelittlechomps @ShmupusMiss This is the tweet in question. https://t.co/pEO1B4NBYJ

always be closing fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 14, 2016

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

always be closing posted:

It was just one tweet, "gently caress Allah"

Live by the millenial nerd, die by the millenial nerd.

E- @thelittlechomps @ShmupusMiss This is the tweet in question. https://t.co/pEO1B4NBYJ

nice just got his shirt i nthe mail

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Mike is fighting back now!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

He said he wouldn't be at Best Show tonight. I am probably reading far too much in to that.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Doubtful. What a cruel coincidence. I wonder what ole Tommy will say? I might actually download this poo poo episode.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Doubtful. What a cruel coincidence. I wonder what ole Tommy will say? I might actually download this poo poo episode.

Arent you the guy who hates the Wurster calls lol

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Good memory, yeah they're bad. I'm more into Tom's wisecracks and Mike on THHOP.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Good memory, yeah they're bad. I'm more into Tom's wisecracks and Mike on THHOP.

wtf..

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

I'm sorry, with the exception of the newbridge wall, I haven't been impressed.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

how does it feel to have your skin be on the inside of your body??? (because your opinion is so backwards I have to assume everything about you is reversed)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Define "bad"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

First time I get a chance to listen live in forever, phone won't play the stream. Nice.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Favorite part of the episode so far is when this guy called in to talk about Whatchamacalit, his favorite candy bar, and Tom leans into the "wait you don't know what it's called" bit and you can just hear the caller under his breath go "ugh, here we go"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Nah the best part of the episode is when Tom indirectly addresses the tweet Mike wrote that upset people. If he moves on and doesn't mention it again, he'll have talked about it (vaguely, of course) less than the Paul F. Tompkins debacle.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well, I'm only a half hour in but I am looking forward to that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
that transition from candy bar talk to the shooting / mike's tweet then back to candy bar talk just gave me whiplash

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm with Mike. God knows I've said and done stupid poo poo when I'm really angry about something, and I feel terrible after I cool down. I like to think he's the same way.

My problem with the Wurster calls isn't Wurster, because his characters are funny. My problem is with Tom, who's so bad as the straight guy in a comedy duo that it drags down the quality for me. It would work better if Wurster drove the segment instead of Tom just awkwardly and weakly pushing him in that direction.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 16, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't hate on someone for not liking the Wurster calls. I do like them a lot but I listened for years before they grew on me. I think they are great in their own way ,but Tom wisecracking, being a dick to callers, and ranting has always been the main draw for me.

Some of the Wurster calls are fantastic though. The one where his arm fell off last week had me dying.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

What was the allusion Tom made to Mike's tweets? Closest I noticed was someone setting Tom up to make a joke at Mike's expense and getting back "any other week I'd have an answer for you".

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Just how the Best Show is inclusive and it's always been and it's his show, not anyone else's. All pretty vague, yeah, but I don't think he would be saying that had Mike not tweeted. And yeah, I'm with Mike here. He knows why tweeting that was bad and why people would be mad at him. I'd be pretty disappointed if he left the show or was forced to leave. I think he'll be back next week, though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also I don't really get why he said he's always tried to make the show positive. Like, all the complaining, rants, being a jerk to callers is supposed to be positive? All tremendously funny, I have no problem with any of it, but I wouldn't call it positive outside of the joy it brings people.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Tom is a jerk to individuals but he's always made it a point to not exclude big groups of people because of their age / sexual orientation / religion or other stuff like that. Which is what Mike tweeting "gently caress Allah" does.

That's what he meant, not "I have always tried to be positive while hosting the show".

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I dont really care what AP Mike thinks but he shouldnt have deleted that tweet.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

I'm with Mike. God knows I've said and done stupid poo poo when I'm really angry about something, and I feel terrible after I cool down. I like to think he's the same way.

I'd like to think that too, but all he's done on twitter is defensively double down, to the point where he's citing the argument that leftists are actually Islamofascist allies. I love Mike as much as any FOT, but his behavior continues to be pretty disappointing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

This is insanity to me. The name dropping talent alone is worshipable. Last weeks Replacements stuff slayed me. Are you not a music snob? I could see that being annoying if 90% of the references go over your head.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
They simultaneously make fun of music snobs and also make jokes that only music snobs would understand so there's really something for everyone in the calls. Shouldn't really matter if you know all the references or not.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
FYI from the FOT board:

Mike posted:

I took the week off for a prior commitment (job related). I wasn't benched.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Huh. Tom really does always wear polo shirts. Why did I never notice that?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Ugh I'm sure Neil Hagerty is a fine musician but these weekly calls are so dull.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Hayes hit at something last week when he brought up the show being for the listener vs. for the guest - most of the time when the Best Show veers into the bad radio zone it's because Tom is desperately trying to placate an Eff Pea who may or may not get the show.

On the positive side, man the Wurster calls have been good lately

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Did the Best Show ever have really famous people on before? Even in the WFMU days? Most of the special guests/callers that I can remember off the top of my head were not exactly household names.

Who was the biggest 'get' in the history of the show?

It's just odd that Tom is in-character with random callers one minute, and out of nowhere breaks character to answer the special phone line with someone like Neil Hagerty who just eats up time and never brings anything to the table.

Are Ted Leo and Aimee Mann still in Tom's camp at all? I remember seeing a tweet or something from John Hodgman about returning to the new Best Show, but I don't remember hearing anything from them or from Tom. I may just be looking back at the WFMU days with rose-colored glasses, but the newer generation of special guests seem to be less professional in general. Hayes is a notable exception, apart from Tom feeling the need to repeat the whole haunted house story from start to finish every time he comes by the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Tatumje posted:

Did the Best Show ever have really famous people on before?
I don't think the people he has on the show now are any more really famous than during the WFMU days. Also Tom doing awkward phone interviews isn't a new development. I'm sure the early pages of this thread have plenty of posts bitching about Todd Barry's calls.