Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So I'm about to finish up the Blue Ridge Mines I think. Whats in store next? Egypt?

I'm kinda feeling starved for Exp gear-wise, I may drop a sub for a month or whatever since I've only got 8 days on the trial left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dandywalken posted:

So I'm about to finish up the Blue Ridge Mines I think. Whats in store next? Egypt?

I'm kinda feeling starved for Exp gear-wise, I may drop a sub for a month or whatever since I've only got 8 days on the trial left.
Just to let you know, you'll need to buy the game as well as pay for a month to keep playing. It's on sale at the moment though: https://buy.thesecretworld.com/

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Run the dungeons if you haven't already. TSW excels at having fun dungeons, and they drop good loot.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Just to let you know, you'll need to buy the game as well as pay for a month to keep playing. It's on sale at the moment though: https://buy.thesecretworld.com/

Its the damndest thing, some RANDOM GUY with your name contacted me ingame already!

Truly, these are dark times

(And thank you again)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dandywalken posted:

Its the damndest thing, some RANDOM GUY with your name contacted me ingame already!

Truly, these are dark times

(And thank you again)
My thought process not long after posting that was "drat, I should've offered that key in the thread first" then about ten minutes later "Wait a minute...". :v:

Edit: And to echo what Brave New World says, you should run the dungeons. Hit me up if you want a hand with that.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 2, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sure thing! Just completed Blue Ridge Mountains, and reporting to bosswoman in New York so I'm down for whatever. Will message you sometime.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So it takes me 2-3 rotations through my DPS cycle to kill an NPC, and each one has a buddy now in Transylvania for a total of 8k HP between the two on average.

Did I reach the part of the game that it gets annoying?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Did you somehow skip Egypt and go straight to Transylvania?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nah, I pooped on Pharaoh Anktehamen or w/e and rolled into spooky town now. I may be a bit undergeared though, I will check the AH for anything and try to get at least 9's in all slots. Still have a bunch of 8's.

Should I be crafting as well?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Nah, I pooped on Pharaoh Anktehamen or w/e and rolled into spooky town now. I may be a bit undergeared though, I will check the AH for anything and try to get at least 9's in all slots. Still have a bunch of 8's.

Pretty sure I was all geared up in green 10's before I headed to Tranny, so that may indeed be why. If you're finding it frustrating you might go back to temple of the sun god and do everything there.

I would hold off on crafting until you can equip QL 10s at that point.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 4, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dandywalken posted:

General rule of thumb is to run the dungeon of the zone to get dungeon gear. Going into Trans you should def be rocking ql10 greens at the least.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dandywalken posted:

I think it's not just the level but the stats, according to the quick preview mod I've got, you were wearing 6/7 tanking pieces in dungeons last night so your damage will be on the low side anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Google Now tells me the current head writer is leaving TSW. So there goes the interesting story bits.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Prepped for Nightmares :getin:

Gear aside that is. Still gotta get the Ultimate Edition for the other 10.1 pieces, really.

Gatekeeper wasnt hard, aside from having to respec for Purge city. One I knew was coming, but then the 2nd and I was hosed. Then botched a Mine toss and it blew up too early in his casting, so didnt purge at all. Woops!

But got the fucker now.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Dandywalken posted:

Gear aside that is. Still gotta get the Ultimate Edition for the other 10.1 pieces, really.

Gatekeeper wasnt hard, aside from having to respec for Purge city. One I knew was coming, but then the 2nd and I was hosed. Then botched a Mine toss and it blew up too early in his casting, so didnt purge at all. Woops!

But got the fucker now.

I think I had to pass it as a tank because I got frustrated by failing so many times as a DPS. I never tanked before or after ever again.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dandywalken posted:

But got the fucker now.
There's a complete edition now with everything up to and including issue 15, but I think it's only available from buy.thesecretworld.com or buy.secretworld.com or something like that. Can't check cause I'm phone posting. It was on sale at the weekend for twenty quid but I have no idea if it still is or not, I didn't think to mention it. :doh:

I've not been around to do those dungeon runs I promised you cause of a rush at work but I'll be free this weekend, barring any acts of god. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah its back to full price now. I can buy the Ultimate for 30 and then the remaining issues manually maybe, or just the Complete for 70.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ultimate leaves you needing four issues, which might end up costing just as much depending on exchange rates. If you're patient and planning to pay for membership then you can buy an issue a month with your bonus points. If your main concern is the 10.1 talismans, you get all but one of them from the issues in Ultimate, leaving you only missing the one from issue 14.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Ultimate leaves you needing four issues, which might end up costing just as much depending on exchange rates. If you're patient and planning to pay for membership then you can buy an issue a month with your bonus points. If your main concern is the 10.1 talismans, you get all but one of them from the issues in Ultimate, leaving you only missing the one from issue 14.

I got the Ultimate on sale and just subscribed for a month, and was gonna come and ask what issue I should get, but I think you just answered that for me. Thanks!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
It's just occurred to me that the ultimate pack should also include issue 15, since that's replaced the side stories packs.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

It's just occurred to me that the ultimate pack should also include issue 15, since that's replaced the side stories packs.

It does, 12-14 it wants me to pay for but 15 is free in the store just like the rest I got through Steam.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

For soloing I think I may grab an alternative Head trinket for the 2.1k hp boost, putting me at 4070 hp.

I don't think I will worry about levelling it and it's glyphs, but god drat does soloing suck with 1970 hp :eyepop:

Currently at 620 hit and 510 pen. Will try to do Hell Fallen tomorrow, I've run NM Polaris like five times now.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
For soloing, you can get away with a hp minor which gives you just over 3k. In Tokyo you'll want a single heal piece too because you pretty much need some kind of self heal in your build there.

Glyphing is the big headache with gear, to be honest. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Behold my triumph!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOXFp4y6N2M

Also, Transylvania? More like dancelvania! :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hidden for No Fear Foundation spoiler:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Museum is out. Also elites and several other skills got buffed/nerfed.

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?96441-Issue-15-The-Sleuth-s-Gallery-Game-Update-1-15&p=2009831&viewfull=1#post2009831

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

FUNCOM posted:

Elemental Force: This ability will now grant 1 stack of a buff when you finish activating any damaging ability (max 1 per second). At 5 stacks, you lose all stacks and gain a 20% Critical Chance boost for 5 seconds. Buff stacks cannot be gained while this buff is active.

Elemental Force has been a staple for a long time and in the end, we felt we couldn't move forward with improving build diversity without addressing the elephant in the room. Our initial change is to allow it to still provide a good critical increase that will stack with all other critical increases which will allow it to be useful in all types of builds. In addition, we wanted to keep the timed element so a good rotation can take the most advantage of the uptime of the new buff effect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

To be fair eleforce was a bit too good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Museum etc seems pretty cool. And rebalance didnt really affect me yet since Im not quite endgame anyways.

Gonna go Rifle/Blood this time though I think, since we normally dont have a Magic user when we run Nightmares. So that way the Plague will give a buff to ranged damage, which we do have plenty of.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
+10% crit chance is still real good for 1 passive, though, right?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I'm no build expert but you can't just average it like that.

That 10-second cycle sounds tough to build around. Before it was 5x builder, 1 filler, first consumer, then second consumer force-crit on an 8s cycle.

Since it's a passive and not a on-use buff you have to use it in a continuous rotation, something like 5x builder, 2x consumer buffed, (something) for 3 more buffed seconds, then 5x builder again.

And the question then is whether the 20% buff is worth building a longer chain around.

Edit: Derp, of course it isn't always 1s=1 attack, if you used channeled consumers that added up to 5s this could work well, shootout is 2.5s, I don't know what else is.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 16, 2016

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Is the crit% granted by EleForce independent of minor critical chance? If so, it could still be useful. It looks like it would work really well with the 2.5 second channeled consumers. Otherwise wouldn't you be back to using builders while the buff is still active after the first rotation?

Has anyone tried this game with the Steam controller? I picked one up on sale. I'm a super casual scrub and used to enjoy using an Xbox controller.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

HughGRect posted:

Is the crit% granted by EleForce independent of minor critical chance? If so, it could still be useful. It looks like it would work really well with the 2.5 second channeled consumers. Otherwise wouldn't you be back to using builders while the buff is still active after the first rotation?

Has anyone tried this game with the Steam controller? I picked one up on sale. I'm a super casual scrub and used to enjoy using an Xbox controller.

I used it with the steam controller and it was allright. Bit hard to read text from my TV and interacting with objectives was a bit hard. Combat was fun though, way more maneuverabile.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Len posted:

To be fair eleforce was a bit too good.

I agree. It really was the elephant in the room, and basically pigeonholed a lot of DPS builds

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Now they can rebalance the other 9000 abilities properly :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
My hot take on the new elemental force: I'm still far too loving lazy to use it. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm at 2k DPS in NM's.

UN.

AC.

CEPTABLE.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dandywalken posted:

I'm at 2k DPS in NM's.

UN.

AC.

CEPTABLE.

Press buttans harder.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I just reinstalled, I got that itch to do at least the New England and Egypt portions again. What server should I be on to be with the majority of goons who still play? Does it matter? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Apoplexy posted:

I just reinstalled, I got that itch to do at least the New England and Egypt portions again. What server should I be on to be with the majority of goons who still play? Does it matter? I forget.
Time was it only mattered for pvp, now I don't think it even matters there. I'm on Grim though. If you want a hand with anything or you're a templar in search of a cabal, just send me a tell in game, same name as here.

• Locked thread