Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
he's also a tremendous creep and has terrible opinions about every facet of game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Imagine you're one of the people who put mark kern in charge of a video game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Wait, you don't have to hold sprint anymore? Is it a toggle? Base runspeed? Someone confirm please. I can't be assed to install this poo poo again.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Seems to be always on.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Givin posted:

Wait, you don't have to hold sprint anymore? Is it a toggle? Base runspeed? Someone confirm please. I can't be assed to install this poo poo again.

Last I played when it first went f2p it was just on until you got into combat and then you had the old sprint bar

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

30.5 Days posted:

Imagine you're one of the people who put mark kern in charge of a video game.

Even worse, imagine being one of the people stuck working for him.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CoffeeBooze posted:

Even worse, imagine being one of the people stuck working for him.

Then imagine the great feeling of seeing an email from your Board of Directors that they have fired him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My friend suggested playing Wildstar the other day. I groaned and told him it was a pile of hot garbage. But I haven't played since my friend gave me a 7 day trial at launch. Is my assessment still correct?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Anoia posted:

"Former Blizzard employee" really isn't a badge of honor anymore.
It never was, since if they were any good they would still be at Blizzard. :ssh:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Warmachine posted:

My friend suggested playing Wildstar the other day. I groaned and told him it was a pile of hot garbage. But I haven't played since my friend gave me a 7 day trial at launch. Is my assessment still correct?

If you have someone to play with there is some fun to be found. The leveling experience is ok, its generic questing with mildly interesting combat. Dont expect to run instances while leveling with any reliability. Most of the early end game content can be queued for with 1-5 people, so you could duo that. Beyond that though you will need to find other players to clear content and that can be a problem.

Your time would probably be better spent playing another game, honestly.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Asimo posted:

It never was, since if they were any good they would still be at Blizzard. :ssh:

There are some exceptions like Greg Street who managed to somehow move to one thing bigger than WoW. Mostly what you said though.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Moving from WoW to a MOBA isn't exactly a step up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given that League makes a jillion dollars a day it probably is.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Orv posted:

Given that League makes a jillion dollars a day it probably is.

Yeah lol easily makes more money than wow by far. Although is was sad to hear riot sold themselves to Chinese money launderers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Minrad posted:

http://steamcharts.com/app/376570#48h

three days of growth before the player decline

i love steamcharts

There goes their last ditch effort to get a few more players.

e: forgot they were also doing a humble bundle thing at the same time.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 15, 2016

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Asimo posted:

I dunno. I learned a lot at Blizzard, but working at other studios has really helped me with perspective and exposure to other perspectives and ways of doing things. Not all of them something to emulate, mind you, but it's been educational nonetheless. :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cyster posted:

I dunno. I learned a lot at Blizzard, but working at other studios has really helped me with perspective and exposure to other perspectives and ways of doing things. Not all of them something to emulate, mind you, but it's been educational nonetheless. :v:
Well, really I mean more the big name ~star designer~ sorts. Present company is obviously excepted. :shobon:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Asimo posted:

Well, really I mean more the big name ~star designer~ sorts. Present company is obviously excepted. :shobon:

It's always the failing upwards guys that bandy that about as big deal. People who treat it as just another bullet point in their resume I can respect... and this quietly keep things running even though, well, y'know.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Cyster posted:

You poor, poor thing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyster posted:

Run away Cyster.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cyster posted:

Out of curiosity, given any opportunity when you finally get out of there would you go into another MMO company knowing what you know now about how they operate behind closed doors?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

DeathSandwich posted:

Out of curiosity, given any opportunity when you finally get out of there would you go into another MMO company knowing what you know now about how they operate behind closed doors?

I have 13 years of MMO development under my belt, so I could work on another, sure. No studio's perfect, but I enjoy the challenges. Branching out might be nice too. We'll see.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Next step is a MOBA, preferably for a game series that has absolutely nothing in common with them.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cyster posted:

I have 13 years of MMO development under my belt, so I could work on another, sure. No studio's perfect, but I enjoy the challenges. Branching out might be nice too. We'll see.

I would probably hire you solely based on your unflappable attitude. Godspeed, little melty dog.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Cyster's definitely a pro at getting through shitstorms without having a massive public spergout, which alone puts her well ahead of a lot of people in that industry.

I think Wildstar would've been a real success if they'd gone SWTOR's route with cutscenes and acting. Whoever they paid to do their initial trailers did a really good job; if they'd kept those writers and voice actors on to provide actual character to the characters, I'd have put up with the foibles in the combat system for a fun story. Instead I got a voiceless marionette that I clop around from quest to quest.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I doubt it. I mean very few people play MMO for the story and it was a new IP without the draw of Star Wars and the reputation of Bioware.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There's a lot of directions they could have taken things. They could have made it easy 40 mans like the original molten core and made it a relaxed slightly grindy experience like vanilla wow, they could have made things freeform with open plan dungeons and a lot of exploring and silly poo poo, they could have made things mega-difficult but cut raid sizes and reduced any friction between you and smashing your face against the cupcakehardcore difficulty. Instead we got TBC with Cata Heroic Raid difficulty & vanilla raid sizes/attunements. Like frankenstein's monster, it is stitched together from corpses of better things and everyone just wishes it would go away.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I think youre right. Of course, the problem is this just wouldnt ever happen. Carbine's lead designers were pretty clearly dead set on HARDCORE raiding as the main focus of the game. Unfortunately it seems most of the actual talent they had was in art, music, writing and small encounter design, while their raid designer seems to have been the adult version of a teenage D&D dungeon master who took great joy in murdering his players in ridiculous, absurd and unfun ways.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
The worst part is you just know that another MMO will take the wrong lessons away from this. Instead of 'Maybe focusing on ridiculous hardcore raid content with outdated mechanics is bad' they'll come away with 'They just weren't hardcore ENOUGH!!'

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think youre right. Of course, the problem is this just wouldnt ever happen. Carbine's lead designers were pretty clearly dead set on HARDCORE raiding as the main focus of the game. Unfortunately it seems most of the actual talent they had was in art, music, writing and small encounter design, while their raid designer seems to have been the adult version of a teenage D&D dungeon master who took great joy in murdering his players in ridiculous, absurd and unfun ways.

Considering the first zones are all about environmental damage like stampeding herds, spores that explode in poison clouds when you get near, avalanches and so forth (and this was AFTER they considerably toned things down; at first all starting mobs were close together and hostile in alpha) that was absolutely the case.

The early alpha was a trip. You'd go to the forum and post about how it really wasn't fun getting swarmed by yeti immediately upon landing on the planet and the replies were "suck it up, cupcake"

Had they not changed that, no one would have played past level 10.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pesterchum posted:

The worst part is you just know that another MMO will take the wrong lessons away from this. Instead of 'Maybe focusing on ridiculous hardcore raid content with outdated mechanics is bad' they'll come away with 'They just weren't hardcore ENOUGH!!'

It's the folly of working with THE VISION. Working with a hard goal in mind WRT how your game is going to function is great and all, but at some point you're creating something you ostensibly want other people to play. If you chase THE VISION too hard you wind up with what I call Brad McQuaid syndrome, where you start sacrificing the playing experience on the Altar of the Design Document. For Example: I don't know who's idea it was to have that bizarre 20+ step raid attunement process that you could track with a spreadsheet, but at some point before it went live someone who was in a position of power really should of took a passing glance at that because in hindsight any number of people could of told the developers what a load of unfun tedious bullshit that was going to be. As someone who played EQ1 through the Vex Thal keying process and World of Warcraft through Onyxia keys and the Scepter of the Shifting Sands I know that I had just about 0 tolerance for that sort of poo poo ever again. Say what you will about how Final Fantasy doles out its dungeons as being tied to the story in long quest chains, at least there I feel like I'm building toward something (not to mention I only ever have to do it once no matter how many classes I want to level) rather than what you got for grinding out those raid keys in the aforementioned games.

The whole thing reminds me of this but replace 'students' with 'players': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Pesterchum posted:

I think the lesson learned has been AAA MMOs are dead. Are there any in production right now? (new ones I mean, not a new expansion for WoW or whatever)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Berious posted:

I think the lesson learned has been AAA MMOs are dead. Are there any in production right now? (new ones I mean, not a new expansion for WoW or whatever)

As far as MMOs with big publishers/branding/hype behind them? None that I know of.

AAA in terms of known quantities/people involved, maybe McQuaid's Pantheon, but that is definitely in "take with a grain of salt/wait until people are playing it" territory because like I mentioned in my previous post, McQuaid is not the pinnacle of good decision making.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Berious posted:

Which publisher that can front the money for a AAA MMO doesn't already have one?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
All the ones who don't have the money to front them, but still do through loans (see: Realtime Worlds and APB). There's plenty of those left, I'm sure.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Minrad posted:

http://steamcharts.com/app/376570#48h

three days of growth before the player decline

i love steamcharts

I'd say it's going pretty steady so far.

Sometimes I really miss this game, the housing was so loving good.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Flumbooze posted:

I'd say it's going pretty steady so far.

Sometimes I really miss this game, the housing was so loving good.

There's only one server now right? I mean it's not breaking any records, but there will be people to play with.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, I'm guessing there's about 5-6K people online in total. I'm just gonna wait out for new content and if the game really gets its playerbase going. With all the rumors that NCSoft is going to sell the game, I just want to hold out investing too much time again.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rumors? Does someone want to buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Shy posted:

Rumors? Does someone want to buy it?

No nothing solid yet, but it's just that WildStar used NCSoft coins since it went F2P, then suddenly they use Protobucks. Apparently that's for the Steam release, but people still found it pretty weird especially considering how bad it is doing.

I really wish someone would buy it and just relaunch it like FFXIV.

• Locked thread