Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

to be fair they were running against Ed and Ed, who were promising to do exactly the same thing while looking the way they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jedit posted:

Last night my hamster was pestering to get some food in her bowl. Once I'd refilled it, she stuffed a bit in her pouches and started asking to go in her exercise ball.

Leave voters have lower intellectual capacity than a middle aged Syrian rodent. At least the rodent knows she can get Out and still have all the benefits of being In.

Send Syrian rodents back where they came form imo. We've got plenty of our own, what's wrong with keeping a pet rat you bloody forrin-lover.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

dispatch_async posted:

And yet the Tories just won a GE with a record of cutting spending in ways that has real effects on real people in day to day life just to meet arbitrary national borrowing targets, and they promised to do more of the same.
Yes, it's pretty hosed up. But you know, Our National Credit Card™ is maxed out, and we all know what happens when you max out a credit card, right? You have to cut down on takeaways and nights out, I mean it's only common sense, right?

Messaging is the most important thing in politics. Truth is second, if even that. The Tories didn't sell their policies as "we'll close your libraries and force you out of your houses" because that would be personal and resonant in the same way the immigration messaging is. They sold it as a mix of common sense and abstract number-crunching that doesn't translate well to people's lived experiences.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 16, 2016

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
On polling, I get the impression that they all only include UK citizens living in the UK - is that true?

I ask because I'm hoping that all the voters living abroad will be heavily Remain and incentivised to vote so that will swing it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zephro posted:

Ah, thanks. Must have mis-remembered.

Yeah, ask Lemondrizzle :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zephro posted:

Yes, it's pretty hosed up. But you know, Our National Credit Card™ is maxed out, and we all know what happens when you max out a credit card, right? You have to cut down on takeaways and nights out, I mean it's only common sense, right?

Messaging is the most important thing in politics. Truth is second, if even that. The Tories didn't sell their policies as "we'll close your libraries and force you out of your houses" because that would be personal and resonant in the same way the immigration messaging is. They sold it as a mix of common sense and abstract number-crunching that doesn't translate well to people's lived experiences.

Truth doesn't even crack the top 5. The GE coverage proved "Ability to eat a bacon sandwich with grace" is more important.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Jeremy Clarkson just came out for remain. Cue :qq:ing from Brexiters who are now glad that his version of Top Gear was cancelled.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Wasn't he already confirmed for Remain? Or is it just more overt now? Could've sworn he wrote an article along the lines of "it makes more sense to fix something from within than gently caress off"

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Clarkson is and always has been a massive Europhile people just find it shocking because he's a racist but he loves the continent particularly Germany and France.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

So, very hypothetically: if Cameron called a GE in the wake of a Leave victory (plus election expenses investigations maybe) and Labour somehow stopped publicly making GBS threads on their own shoes for long enough to win it, could / would they discount the referendum result? It was never a Labour pledge to hold a stupid sodding plebiscite, so far as I know, or to abide by its results.

Hobo posted:

I'm hoping that all the voters living abroad will be heavily Remain

You've not met many ex-pats, have you?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
https://cdn.theguardian.tv/mainwebsite/2016/06/16/160616LetsTalkAboutImmigration3_desk.mp4 - Watch this and weep. These people are so loving stupid.

Edit: - hahahahaha, 'I'm not racist, but in twenty years we'll all be coloureds.'

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 16, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Any government can ignore any referendum result. The only question is what the public's response would be.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I'm voting leave, I think

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

We're hosed.

:cripes:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Any government can ignore any referendum result. The only question is what the public's response would be.

Given it's Britain, nothing much probably.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Does anyone want to organise a sweepstake? Winner can nominate a charity for everyone else to donate £5 to (maybe one for a group most likely to get hosed over if we leave?).

Edit: Think % yes % No and voter turnout kind of thing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WMain00 posted:

Given it's Britain, nothing much probably.

the government should just issue a statement saying they left the EU and then do nothing. No one will check or care

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

Jeremy Clarkson just came out for remain. Cue :qq:ing from Brexiters who are now glad that his version of Top Gear was cancelled.

Clarkson literally wants a United States of Europe.

With regards to Gibraltar, would it be possible to work out a reverse Greenland deal where Gibraltar stays in the EU but we don't? Or would Spain be able to veto that. I know they kept threatening to make it difficult for an independent Scotland to join the EU because it was making them look bad for not giving their separatists a referendum but I don't know if that was hot air.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the government should just issue a statement saying they left the EU and then do nothing. No one will check or care

Plus people will feel like their lives are so much better than back in the Dark Ages. The ultimate placebo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pesmerga posted:

https://cdn.theguardian.tv/mainwebsite/2016/06/16/160616LetsTalkAboutImmigration3_desk.mp4 - Watch this and weep. These people are so loving stupid.

Edit: - hahahahaha, 'I'm not racist, but in twenty years we'll all be coloureds.'

Has anyone ever actually seen one of these palaces "they" are building to give to jobless immigrants?

Also sad: first five seconds, the old man who enthusiastically and completely without malice yells "let's take back our country!" who is clearly just happy to be out of the house and getting involved in something.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Pipski posted:

You've not met many ex-pats, have you?

There's the big groups in Spain, sure, but then there's also a lot of young workers across the EU, and various non-UK groups that can vote.

Didn't Gibraltar have a poll with 88% voting remain and a high likely turnout?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Renaissance Robot posted:

Has anyone ever actually seen one of these palaces "they" are building to give to jobless immigrants?

I mean there's those mansions in London with the secret illegal basements, but somehow I don't think that's what they mean.

Seriously, one hundred years ago these idiots would be believing that milk left outside will go sour if a gypsy walks past it. We're seeing the modern-day equivalent of superstitious yokels, only now it's 'immigrants' rather than 'witches'.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Pesmerga posted:

Seriously, one hundred years ago these idiots would be believing that milk left outside will go sour if a gypsy walks past it. We're seeing the modern-day equivalent of superstitious yokels, only now it's 'immigrants' rather than 'witches'.

maybe if capitalism would stop having all these crises and then blaming said crises on immigrants people wouldn't be so agitated about the issue

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Also sad: first five seconds, the old man who enthusiastically and completely without malice yells "let's take back our country!" who is clearly just happy to be out of the house and getting involved in something.

that guy rules

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Big Dave down the pub's sister's auntie heard that one of those Polish or Romainian families got a 6-bedroom mansion the day they came off the ferry from Calais, and their rent is paid entirely by the taxpayer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

There are still people who believe that the Rothschilds are behind water fluoridation for nefarious ends.

The well poisoning Jew never fully died out. :eng99:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What are the general statistics for voter turnout? Am I correct in remembering that there was a huge percentage of the British public that didn't vote in the last GE? I recall some statistics being passed around highlighting how the Tories had a 51% majority despite a quarter (or less) of the country actually voting for them.

The reason I ask is out of curiosity regarding how voter turnout could affect the referendum, since we could theoretically see a situation where Leave beats Remain by as much as 10% but still only represents a third of the population, or maybe less. I'd assume that Leave would need to win the referendum by a huge percentage (70-80) to negate the amount of no-votes to make Brexit actually viable to Parliament?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

The Spanish are sharpening their Gibralter knives:

quote:

But he added that Spain views Gibraltar as Spanish regardless of what happens in next week's referendum, according to Spanish newspapers.

The PM is expected to visit Gibraltar to urge the 23,000 UK citizens entitled to vote to back remain.

Speaking on Spanish National Radio, Mr Rajoy said: "The government does not like Mr Cameron travelling to Gibraltar."

He added that "what is being debated is that the United Kingdom remain in the EU or leave the EU and the campaign should happen in the United Kingdom and not in Gibraltar".

Gibraltar is a self-governing British overseas territory so if the UK leaves the EU, Gibraltar - which is 2.2 square miles and stands on the Spanish side of the mouth of the Mediterranean - leaves too.

Opinion polls suggest UK citizens in Gibraltar will vote to remain in the EU, amid concerns its border with Spain would be closed if Britain left.

Currently, Gibraltar is covered by EU rules governing the single market, specifically the free movement of people.

In March, Spain's foreign minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo told Spanish radio Spain would demand control of Gibraltar the "very next day" after a British exit from the EU, according to the Gibraltar Chronicle.

In May, Gibraltar's first minister Fabian Picardo told Sky News: "If Gibraltar wanted to have access to the single market and the rights we enjoy today of free movement, we would have to once again consider joint sovereignty with Spain, which no one in Gibraltar is prepared to consider."

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

SUNKOS posted:

What are the general statistics for voter turnout? Am I correct in remembering that there was a huge percentage of the British public that didn't vote in the last GE? I recall some statistics being passed around highlighting how the Tories had a 51% majority despite a quarter (or less) of the country actually voting for them.

The reason I ask is out of curiosity regarding how voter turnout could affect the referendum, since we could theoretically see a situation where Leave beats Remain by as much as 10% but still only represents a third of the population, or maybe less. I'd assume that Leave would need to win the referendum by a huge percentage (70-80) to negate the amount of no-votes to make Brexit actually viable to Parliament?

Lol democratic votes shouldn't get voided just cos the losing side says "Well, all our guys didn't vote, so..."

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

I'd assume that Leave would need to win the referendum by a huge percentage (70-80) to negate the amount of no-votes to make Brexit actually viable to Parliament?

You're assuming incorrectly.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Hobo posted:

There's the big groups in Spain, sure, but then there's also a lot of young workers across the EU, and various non-UK groups that can vote.

Didn't Gibraltar have a poll with 88% voting remain and a high likely turnout?

I was being a bit facetious. Dunno about Gib, but the only poll of EU expats I could find has ~72% in favour of Remain.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pesmerga posted:

We're too loving dumb to live.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Tories could ignore the referendum but that'd be stupid. Instead they'll do what they always do when they're forced to do something they don't like. gently caress it up on purpose, claim it's clearly unworkable and by then public opinion will have shifted enough no one gives a poo poo anymore.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Are Tories the good guys or the bad guys in this thread, now? I lose track a lot.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Turnout will be far higher for this than the GE, as I said before this is about saving our country, not voting for whoever we think will do the least damage.

As for that Guardian video, if the only people they could find to back Remain were non-white and/or non-British that's obviously not going to do anything to sway anyone. Did like the fella with the Polish surname speaking like a walking Daily Mail headline though.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Rakosi posted:

Lol democratic votes shouldn't get voided just cos the losing side says "Well, all our guys didn't vote, so..."

I think that happened at the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum, but there was a specific amendment made to say that it had to be over 40% of the electorate voting yes rather than just over 50% of those who voted. But I very much doubt that'll be the case here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HJB posted:

As for that Guardian video, if the only people they could find to back Remain were non-white and/or non-British that's obviously not going to do anything to sway anyone. Did like the fella with the Polish surname speaking like a walking Daily Mail headline though.

I liked his straightforwardly Partridgean "You're lovely you are."

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rakosi posted:

Are Tories the good guys or the bad guys in this thread, now? I lose track a lot.

i think the tories have joined forces with labour to be the acceptable evil for the next week or so but i'm not completely sure

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

HJB posted:

not voting for whoever we think will do the least damage.

if you genuinely believe it isn't this you're living in a dreamworld mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

"If Scotland leaves the UK, it will be fine."

"If the UK leaves the EU, it will collapse into hellfire and damnation"

• Locked thread