Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

ShadowMoo posted:

I can see there being a lot of business applications for VR like construction, design, or job training. That market is just in the planning stages right now. It would be cool to have a VR walkthrough of a building that is being drafted.

It's way beyond the planning stages. I've been making interactive training applications in VR for the past year or so. There's lots of very big companies that are throwing money at VR training suites because it's a drat sight cheaper than building simulators and having staff take it in turns to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Spent a while playing Elite again last night on Rift. It's loving awesome. That is all.

What would be really cool would be an app which just has chilled spaces to hang out in. A beach with a sunset, stuff like that. Somewhere you can sit on the ground and just chill out enjoying the view. Anyone know of anything like this, on Steam etc?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Did anyone ever figure out exactly how to maximise the non-blurry area on the Vive? I never got it to work, it was always super small despite shifting the thing on my face and messing with ipd and all the rest. That was the biggest disadvantage of that headset compared to the rift.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

Spent a while playing Elite again last night on Rift. It's loving awesome. That is all.

What would be really cool would be an app which just has chilled spaces to hang out in. A beach with a sunset, stuff like that. Somewhere you can sit on the ground and just chill out enjoying the view. Anyone know of anything like this, on Steam etc?

I like fishing in VR minecraft :v:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

I like fishing in VR minecraft :v:
Hell I'd forgotten about Minecrift. That sounds cool!
I'd love it if Oculus Studios could release the night forest from their 'Lost' short film. Just you and the fireflies, and that atmospheric piano riff. No giant robots.

Also,

Zaphod42 posted:

Bunch of VIVE games demos just came out apparently?

http://uploadvr.com/new-htc-vive-releases-week-652016/
Valve/HTC's strategy of handing out loads of Vive Pre's does seem to be paying off, even if most of the content is more demo-y than game-y at the moment.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Destinations would be good for that. There is not much content for it yet though, so you'd have to hope someone creates a beach for it (or make one yourself).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Tested have a hands-on video with the new Razer HDK2.

I hadn't realised that they're using an RGB display, which is a pretty big deal; that gives it a much higher subpixel density than any of the other three headsets. If the lenses aren't terrible it might turn out to have surprisingly competitive visuals.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
HDK2 looks pretty good, if the game you want to play is a cockpit game and has SteamVR support, or OSVR support built in. I like the lens adjustments and I want to know more about the lenses. I think the guy was saying it's a 2 element lens design and that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Well I bought a VIVE.
On a scale from 1 to 10 how stupid am I?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

NRVNQSR posted:

I hadn't realised that they're using an RGB display, which is a pretty big deal; that gives it a much higher subpixel density than any of the other three headsets. If the lenses aren't terrible it might turn out to have surprisingly competitive visuals.

If the optics are inferior that may not be an advantage at all, however. Still, one or two interesting features, though their cable arrangement has me skeptical (along with the fact that I don't exactly associate Razer with the phrase "quality product").

Sounds like it's dropping rather soon, though, so I look forward to seeing more in-depth coverage on it even if it ends up not being great.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Well I bought a VIVE.
On a scale from 1 to 10 how stupid am I?

0. You have VR with motion controls so you win!

Speaking of motion controls - Touch vs Wands comparison: http://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-vs-htc-vive-better-controller/

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

theBeaz posted:

0. You have VR with motion controls so you win!

Speaking of motion controls - Touch vs Wands comparison: http://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-vs-htc-vive-better-controller/

I tried it out in the MS store in NY and just said "I need this in my life"

Will arrive today. Going to buy a 970 right now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

NRVNQSR posted:

They also said later in the interview though that the optics seemed to still need some work to look as nice as its bigger brothers, so it seems whatever advantage thats getting them is being negated somewhere along the line.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Michaellaneous posted:

Going to buy a 970 right now.
This, on the other hand, is very much a poor decision with all the new cards dropping now and in the very near future, unless you're getting a hell of a discount.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

This, on the other hand, is very much a poor decision with all the new cards dropping now and in the very near future, unless you're getting a hell of a discount.

It's only like 200 bucks.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Michaellaneous posted:

Still, if you're patient you could get a 1070 for that in the next few weeks. I'm still waiting on my 1080 because I am dumb as hell and hate money.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Michaellaneous posted:

Fair enough.

E: 1070 will be closer to $400 for a while.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

Fair enough.

E: 1070 will be closer to $400 for a while.

Not here. Almost 700 euros.

Anyway, questions about the basestations.
Do they need vision on the controllers as well? I am scared that one edge of my room will be blocked off by my table.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Michaellaneous posted:

Do they need vision on the controllers as well? I am scared that one edge of my room will be blocked off by my table.

I had a Rift, not a vive, but my understanding is they have IR LEDs as well, so I think yes.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

In that case, can they be kinda overhead? I could mount them on the ceiling which would cover all the space.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

In that case, can they be kinda overhead? I could mount them on the ceiling which would cover all the space.

They recommend mounting them over head height, around 2 metres or so.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Had my first VR party last night after clearing the living room and hooking my PC up to the TV. It worked really well because the TV was a 70 inch and everyone was able to really easily see what was going on and interact/give advice or request cool stuff. I didn't have success getting full 5.1 surround working but I believe that was just a limitation of what we played (Job Simulator, The Lab and Universe Sandbox). I prefer the speaker setup over headphones for showing people how to VR - with the ear buds in there is really no communication. Everyone who tried it seriously LOVED the experience and universe sandbox / archery in the lab were the favorites. Had no issues with people walking into stuff, etc. The chaperone system worked perfectly and people quickly became comfortable exploring...except for someone with a fear of heights who could only take baby steps in outer space.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 16, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

One more thing since I can't really find any info:
How far away does the basebox need to be from the playing field?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Michaellaneous posted:

If you don't mind AMD, their new RX 480 is going to be $200 and perform at GTX 980 levels.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Michaellaneous posted:

Depending on your room and how you angle it, not very.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Michaellaneous posted:

If they are mounted in the corner at ceiling height facing down 45 degrees, they'll be able to track right into the corners from inside the play area

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Michaellaneous posted:

If they aren't overhead, they don't work as well, so that's definitely what you want. Mine spaz out if a tall person uses them, and I've given up on the sync cable since they just straight up didn't seem to work with it even after fixing the channel stuff.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

With overhead I mean actually mounted on the ceiling.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Michaellaneous posted:

With overhead I mean actually mounted on the ceiling.

The higher the better, you want them high enough that even your arm lifted above your head won't block their ability to see each other.

Mine are ceiling mounted and still aren't high enough!

but they should still be at or just beyond the edges of the play space, if that's what you meant, rather than directly overhead.

Edit:
Also, I did more demos last night, and while Archery/Slingshot/Brookhaven/TiltBrush/JobSim are all huge hits, Fantastic Contraption continues to steal the show as the game people refuse to stop playing. It gets them hooked quick and makes them very unwilling to give up their turn, hahah.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 16, 2016

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I have 9' ceilings in my living room (the trade-off for not having a balcony), and 7' or so seems to be the sweet spot. It can still track me in Tilt Brush jumping as high as I can.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Michaellaneous posted:

When I first got my Vive I set a basestation on a bookshelf, with the result that a corner of my play area was "blocked" by the bookshelf. It did cause problems in that if the controller got in that area where it couldn't see one base station, *and* the other base station was blocked by my body, it would start drifting out of position. So I don't recommend it if you can avoid it.

Other than that, the base station is supposed to have about 120 degree field of view. So if you're mounting it facing 45 degrees down, it should be able to see both directly below it and straight ahead just fine. Other than that I can't really speak from experience, since both my lighthouses are outside my play area.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Well, my first experince is very positive. A few tracking issues here and there and the focus isn't always perfect. Gotta play around with that.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Rectus posted:

Destinations would be good for that. There is not much content for it yet though, so you'd have to hope someone creates a beach for it (or make one yourself).

I was considering porting some of my old Zombie Master maps to it, just for a look around them in VR. But I decided to try a bit of photogrammetry instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpgJvcAB0Q

(first pass, very crude)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ah, I figured out the issue. My table is pretty reflective I think. Will try to cover it tomorrow.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Had my first VR party last night after clearing the living room and hooking my PC up to the TV. It worked really well because the TV was a 70 inch and everyone was able to really easily see what was going on and interact/give advice or request cool stuff. I didn't have success getting full 5.1 surround working but I believe that was just a limitation of what we played (Job Simulator, The Lab and Universe Sandbox). I prefer the speaker setup over headphones for showing people how to VR - with the ear buds in there is really no communication. Everyone who tried it seriously LOVED the experience and universe sandbox / archery in the lab were the favorites. Had no issues with people walking into stuff, etc. The chaperone system worked perfectly and people quickly became comfortable exploring...except for someone with a fear of heights who could only take baby steps in outer space.

Run into any issues with foam pad grossness? Anyone sweat that poo poo up? I'm gonna have a similar situation soon and I'm worried about that part, and can't find any replacement pads for sale. Also didn't consider that universe sandbox would be that popular, I might pick it up.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

VR Cover has a sort of Leather cover that can go over it to lessens the absorption, but overall I wish someone would just make good replacement pads like the Aboutface.vr guys did.

Others here seem to have had good luck modifying padded sleep mask to use as foam pad replacements, but has anyone found any other pads that fit and can replace the use of the stock one? You would think someone would jump on that instead of these goofy covers that only kinda almost cover everything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

theBeaz posted:

quote:

The only caveat to this is that users with particularly large hands may have trouble finding the same sweet spots but this is only truly applicable in very extreme cases.
I'm one of those people who prefers the "Duke" controller on the original Xbox and thinks a Galaxy Note 4 is a nice one-handed device. Now I'm really interested to try the Oculus Touch controls just to see how comfortable they actually are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wolrah posted:

I'm one of those people who prefers the "Duke" controller on the original Xbox and thinks a Galaxy Note 4 is a nice one-handed device. Now I'm really interested to try the Oculus Touch controls just to see how comfortable they actually are.

The one goon that has Touch controllers right now also mentioned how they were on the smaller side.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

EdEddnEddy posted:

VR Cover has a sort of Leather cover that can go over it to lessens the absorption, but overall I wish someone would just make good replacement pads like the Aboutface.vr guys did.

Others here seem to have had good luck modifying padded sleep mask to use as foam pad replacements, but has anyone found any other pads that fit and can replace the use of the stock one? You would think someone would jump on that instead of these goofy covers that only kinda almost cover everything.

I've been doing something DIY, but I'm not happy with it yet. I need to find my neoprene and a few other things, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Hi thread, I'm getting a Rift tomorrow and I'm very excited. I bought a Leap Motion to play with too, are there any games or demos that do cool stuff with it?