Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Leyenda. Seamstress. Pouring Ribbons. Ducks. Holiday.

E: any of Johnny Swet's bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Halloween Jack posted:

I am absolutely certain that if I put that phrase into Google, I will get that exact recipe. I'm not going to check. Everyone has done that.

You're wrong, and that's why I'm asking here. Sounds like it's totally true but everyone's too embarrassed to even list it on recipe sites, much less serve it at a bar.

It was exactly as I expected, and man I need to get through this rum so I can buy something decent instead. Not that I've seen decent light rum around, but I'm sure I can find something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flor De Cana extra seco. I think it's 4 years. I'm not a big fan of rum, but it seems good.

Speaking of rum, I had a Zombie variant for breakfast today. Pretty good.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Not that rum is the best industry (historically or in current times) for workers rights, but Flor de Cana has some really atrocious ones. It's a shame because it was super cheap - I had it in my well for a long time. Like, $6 a liter.

Go for Denizen white or Plantation. They're both cheap and good quality.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I made a Hemingway Rickey today and god drat is that a good summer drink :thurman:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, okay. I really don't know anything about rum, that's just what Kenning recommended before, and I liked it.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I really like flor de canas white rum but that's good to know about their lovely labour practices and I'd be interested if anyone has a link with some more info

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/12/7/9838244/bars-boycott-flor-de-cana-rum-over-its-dire-work-conditions

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Razzouk arak worth picking up for three dollars more per bottle than Gantous & Abou Raad? The two seem to be the only arak stocked in the state.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Some good peppermint schnapps cocktails in the cocktaildb. Is making a mint julep with bourbon and rumple minze a good idea?

Also, what about making a chango (snowcone with pickled juice, lemon and lime juice sprinkled with chili powder and chamoy) with spiced rum?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You're making GBS threads me.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Is making a mint julep with bourbon and rumple minze a good idea?

Yes. If you mix a bottle's worth in a hotel ice bucket and are a roadie tending the strippers

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Kenning, for Regent's Punch, what is the best way to deal with a lack of seville oranges? I know they're supposed to be more bitter, so would I sub in some mix of lemons and regular oranges?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Any good ideas for cocktails involving pamplemousse? Same for Amaro Montenegro.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Like I said a few posts ago I've been crushing Hemingway Rickies for the last week

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fart Car '97 posted:

Like I said a few posts ago I've been crushing Hemingway Rickies for the last week

What's your receipe?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

1.5 Oz dry gin, 1oz grapefruit, .5 lime, 1-1.5 maraschino, a dash simple. Shake, rocks glass, top with sods. I use less maraschino if it's luxardo, because it's a more potent flavor than the cheap stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fart Car '97 posted:

1.5 Oz dry gin, 1oz grapefruit, .5 lime, 1-1.5 maraschino, a dash simple. Shake, rocks glass, top with sods. I use less maraschino if it's luxardo, because it's a more potent flavor than the cheap stuff.

gonna order this and report back in 5 minutes ...... would you consider like .75 luxardo a good balance ?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oooh yeah that's a nice patio sipper. Are you doing them in a collins with a splash of mineral water rickey-style? that presentation makes it a nice refreshing contrast to a papa do me which I've always found pretty boozy and bracing

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A mint julep with spearmint from the yard is pretty much the best drink after an rear end kicker of a hill climb bike ride.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

Oooh yeah that's a nice patio sipper. Are you doing them in a collins with a splash of mineral water rickey-style? that presentation makes it a nice refreshing contrast to a papa do me which I've always found pretty boozy and bracing

Yeah, Collins with a splash of soda water. And yeah its probably only around .75 maraschino, not 1.5 like I said. It's a good drink

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Goons, I'm in Chicago for a couple days. What are the best cocktail bars in Chicago?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Rashomon posted:

Goons, I'm in Chicago for a couple days. What are the best cocktail bars in Chicago?

Billy Sunday
Lost Lake
Three Dots and a Dash
Violet Hour
Aviary?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Made this last night, no name for it yet:

1.5 White Rum
1 Peach Ginger Shrub
.5 Allspice Dram
.25 St. Germaine
2-3 Angostura Bitters (or any spicy bitters)
Egg white

Double shake, serve in a rocks glass w/ rocks if you like. I'm really happy with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's weird, I just made a peach ginger syrup on Saturday. I'll try that.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 20, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Got a recipe for that shrub?

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

The Hebug posted:

Billy Sunday
Lost Lake
Three Dots and a Dash
Violet Hour
Aviary?

I can second these. The Violet Hour bartenders are very knowledgeable and personable. Three Dots and a Dash and Lost Lake are owned by the same guy, both solid tiki, although Lost Lake's kitchen burned down a couple months ago. Aviary is good for some of the more "molecular gastronomy" kind of stuff. The Punch House under Thalia Hall also makes a mean Admiral Russell's or Regent's Punch. Haven't been to Billy Sunday yet even though I'm walking distance away but heard good things.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've been thinking of picking up some cognac as a bit of a moving celebration. Got any suggestions for decent stuff that isn't horrendously expensive? Under $100, preferably under 50.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

To drink neat or mix?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Probably both. Haven't really ventured into cognac territory before so I suppose something that wouldn't be bad for either so I could try out some different stuff with it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

Got a recipe for that shrub?

I diced 2 peaches, grated a 1 inch cube of ginger, muddled them in a rough 1:1 equivalent of sugar, let it soak overnight then added .5 parts cider vinegar and .5 parts rice vinegar and let that soak overnight again before straining the liquid out.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Probably both. Haven't really ventured into cognac territory before so I suppose something that wouldn't be bad for either so I could try out some different stuff with it.

Pick a V.S.O.P. Chalfonte is on the mild side, tasty, and mixes well enough. Remy Martin or Courvoissier V.S.O.P. are both solid and more robust. No personal experienxe with Hennessey. And I rather enjoy the earthy dried fruit flavors in Asbach Uralt though not a true cognac.

E: Were you just mixing, a decent brand VS like Remy would get you where you need to go for most drinks.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 21, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I feel like it's not a bad idea to spend a few extra bucks for VSOP, even in a sidecar or something it's a pretty noticeable difference.

edit: at least with Hennessy/Courvoisier/Remy, I don't really know poo poo about cognac or anything beyond the big brands. Definitely prefer Remy out of the 3 though

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, VS and V.S.O.P. are fairly close in price but I sometimes find the rough edges of a VS stand out and balance some sweeter drinks where V.S.O.P. would be flat.

In rum news, picked up my Smith & Cross, today. It's spunky, delicious, spicy, and my new favorite. Going to use it for my annual Thanksgiving Glasgow punch.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I thought picklebacks were super played out but im at a gay bar right now and they serve them inside a hollowed out pickle and you have to suck the liquor out. Feeling really proud of American ingenuity

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
thats extremely good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

O'Henrys in Asheville, hit me up if you ever come out west dude

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
So my buddy gave me a bottle of Canadian Club 12, but it's not particularly good straight and I'm not sure what to use it in. Is there anything that it works in particularly well? Or would I just sub it for bourbon? Or Scotch?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Made a gin fizz with half an ounce of st. Germaine elder flower. So good for the summer. Any other good recipes for st. Germaine? I need to use this bottle up in the current decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Fart Car '97 posted:

I diced 2 peaches, grated a 1 inch cube of ginger, muddled them in a rough 1:1 equivalent of sugar, let it soak overnight then added .5 parts cider vinegar and .5 parts rice vinegar and let that soak overnight again before straining the liquid out.

Thanks, deffo gonna try this out.