Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
This thread gets more posts per hour than all of gen chat on RSI and almost as many as the subreddit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SurfaceDetail posted:

This thread gets more posts per hour than all of gen chat on RSI and almost as many as the subreddit lol

The best is the Twitch viewer numbers stuck in perpetual double figues

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

Mostly us.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The whole scaling issue to fit things into CryEngine's world limits has gotten me curious.
Does Arena Commander fly differently to the PU?

Going back to the launch video of "Physics" where Roberts flies a ship around stating how it has proper thruster controllers and is controlled by a "flight computer."
Given how smooth it looks I suspect this is at a 1:1 world in Cryengine - no or little scaling. You can tell they are pushing the engine's distance limits as asteroids are beginning to have texture flickering in the background.

The ship looks like it controls as it should, which isn't much of a stretch for Cryengine as you can place particle emitters and have them link into directional controls, thus "thrusters". However this looks like it was eventually replaced by real-time thrusters which are problematic and from what I've seen look so bizarre as they swivel franticly on a dime as invisible thrusters do the actual work.

Physics in Cryengine games are a bit of a tricky beast. The engine never really was meant to be beyond ragdolls or basic collisions. Things that fly are hacked in. At the core any object has a mass which tells how much velocity is needed to move it. And some friction to stop things sliding off. You can also add some dampening to fudge in things so an apple doesn't fly into space because it weighs grams and the player weighs kilograms so the game transfers too much force into a simple bump.

Physics are very expensive to calculate so to cut down on this they are done every nth of a frame as opposed to calculating every frame. I think the engine also can throttle this under load making for physics errors when there isn't enough grunt to calculate an accurate movement, things will start skipping and misfiring.
In extreme cases (consoles) they use baked physics animations to not have to calculate something like a brick wall with individual bricks falling down.

This is all governed by the global world gravity. Space is done by setting this to a negative value, as 0 would mean nothing would move far. You also have calculations for potential immersion in water. The game still keeps track of water, even if it's been turned off.

A vehicle complicates things further by having it's own external .xml files that has to correspond to the myriad of parts that you have to model and group parts precisely in Maya. For instance hitboxes have to be low poly and can't crossover or things will break.

Creating custom xmls for new vehicles is the bane of all modders and there's precious few examples provided in the SDK. The free SDK actively discouraged and banned people for hacking in the hovercraft/VTOL controls so custom vehicles are a bit of a dark art.

code:
  <Handling>
      <Power acceleration="14" decceleration="2" topSpeed="22" reverseSpeed="6" />
      <HandBrake deccelerationPowerLock="2" decceleration="10.1" lockFront="0" lockBack="1" frontFrictionScale="3.2" backFrictionScale="0.10" angCorrectionScale="6.0" />
      <Friction back="3.0" front="2.2" offset="-1.3"/>
      <WheelSpin grip1="0.7" grip2="1.0" gripRecoverSpeed="2" accelMultiplier1="2.2" accelMultiplier2="0.5" />
      <Correction lateralSpring="0" angSpring="2"/>
      <SpeedReduction reductionAmount="0.2" reductionRate="0.2"/>
      <Compression frictionBoost="1.5f" frictionBoostHandBrake="1.5f" />
      <Inertia radius="4"/>
  </Handling>
This code is what governs the general momentum of a vehicle. When you load one into the game you then have a WYSIWYG editor where you can pick parts of the vehicle and assign weights and centres of gravity to it. As a result there's a cat and mouse effort in trying to fine-tune inconsistencies in a spaceship which is hacked into a vehicle engine where flight is basically no-clip mode.

That fancy internal gravity on a ship is actually created by placing gravity alteration bubbles onto the ship model.

Now combine a game engine that is taxed beyond it's intended limits with high poly models as it's designed to be economic by using normal mapping on low-poly models.
To compromise on having to calculate an objects tick overrides can be applied per object. But I can see physics problems being a needle in the haystack as someone has to comb through every detailed part on a ship to find out what is taking up too much weight or parts considered not critical to calculate accurately so what is likely happening is a ship is ripping itself in half as parts of it lag out.

Of course the scaling fucks this up fantastically as the engine has to calculate to compensate for foreshortened distances and effectively will divide by zero.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

INN guys actually get excited when goons start showing up to gently caress with them

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

biglads posted:

I can imagine being paid to post that way about computer games. Let me give it a try.

Well they spent the first couple of years building their offices and teams then another year or so ensuring the teams were set up correctly. In any enterprise like this you are going to take time to understand where best to deploy your resources and CIG is no different in that regard. Honestly, I'd be disappointed if the game was already out as you know it would have been a rushed product. I say you should give CIG a break and let them continue to develop this at their own pace. Nothing but the very best is good enough for Chris, and after all those terrible other space sims that are hanging around like a bad smell, you too should want the very best and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. Frankly I've enjoyed every second of my time in the 2.4 PTU and yes I have seen those dumb goon videos that show some glitches. Thing is those salty asshats are helping CIG by demonstrating the bugs for the Devs to see so they are compromising their own agenda!

It's really eerie how all Citizen justifications seem to be written from a common script.

OH, right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

I hate the "Bishop Speech" video. I still don't know what it's about because I can't sit through the whole rambling mess.

Without it we wouldn't have the :lesnick: version though and that would be bad.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Breetai posted:

Just wait until you're in a major battle and then one of the REALLY big capital ships jumps in right on top of you.

You'll be able to tell when it happens. It sounds like the universe is coming to an end as an absolutely massive behemoth rips its way back into normal space and turns the surrounding kilometer of space into a deathscape of lasers. I didn't even know that they existed the first time it happened, and the impact was jaw-dropping.

I've been delaying really getting invested in the game because I know that when I do that's it and I'm loving gone. Thanks for not helping jerk :mad:

Also I love how much better the Elite Arena mode is than the comparable mode in SC (while still being the one bit of almost functional game that it's produced).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

INN guys actually get excited when goons start showing up to gently caress with them

Of course - they were planning to play Star Citizen. When goons show up, now they have something to do.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Guys, guys, I have some terrible news.

I think Star Citizen might not get finished :ohdear:

No, at this point, I am sure it will be "finished". As in MVP. Minimum Viable Pile (of poo poo).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
if we are irrelevant then what are these guys?

Help me understand

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

The accent aigu in your profile seems to be misbehaving.

It is misbehaving, I feel grief.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nickiepoo posted:

I've been delaying really getting invested in the game because I know that when I do that's it and I'm loving gone. Thanks for not helping jerk :mad:

Also I love how much better the Elite Arena mode is than the comparable mode in SC (while still being the one bit of almost functional game that it's produced).

Let me not help you some more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de78Odrw6KE

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

peter gabriel posted:

No-one seems to be streaming Star Marine and Chris said it's already in.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Maybe if I set up a newsdesk and took everything seriously with hour long videos I would be relevant

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wuxi posted:

Star Citizen - as a Game Designer mysfe

Same topflight attention to detail as anyone at CIG...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

biglads posted:

No-one seems to be streaming Star Marine and Chris said it's already in.

We've been playing it all along, people bringing it up annoy me tbh

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe if I set up a newsdesk and took everything seriously with hour long videos I would be relevant

It's not just that. You need like 10-13 pieces of acoustic sound insulation on your wall before you can start being relevant.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

WebDog posted:

The whole scaling issue to fit things into CryEngine's world limits has gotten me curious.
Does Arena Commander fly differently to the PU?

Going back to the launch video of "Physics" where Roberts flies a ship around stating how it has proper thruster controllers and is controlled by a "flight computer."
Given how smooth it looks I suspect this is at a 1:1 world in Cryengine - no or little scaling. You can tell they are pushing the engine's distance limits as asteroids are beginning to have texture flickering in the background.

I'm almost certain of this (though in no way an expert), and this same thought was what had me ranting pages ago about splitting off walking and flying areas because, like you say, Arena Commander actually works well compared to what we're seeing in the PU.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not just that. You need like 10-13 pieces of acoustic sound insulation on your wall before you can start being relevant.

And a big fat nerd face

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Help me understand

We should see what happens when Derek tweets some INN videos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm vaping in my headphones

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
One major tom vid gets more views in a day or so than all of INN gets total In two weeks

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SurfaceDetail posted:

You realize derek was made a mod as a joke and no one here actually looks up to him right

IDK. I personally love to argue with him. He's the only one here that has engaged me back in counter argument without calling me an insult.

(Actually, that's not true - he's called me idiot, moron, shill, shitizen, dumbass, etc.) But, I think the point is - he's okay with me just posting. I just wouldn't call him an idol.

Propagandist posted:

This thread got real edgy over the past couple of pages.

I'll try to post a bit more today - take it out on me.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

edit: i like derek smart more than my actual dad and wish he was my dad
:same:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

You just need a green screen with your (current) avatar jumping all over the desk while you play your regular videos in the background. Use previous avatars as "on the scene" correspondents.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

We should see what happens when Derek tweets some INN videos

Here is a word quiz that reveals the answer, re arrange these words:

Weeds Tumble

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AP posted:

SC-23548 EVA FROM SHIP GIVES CRIME LEVEL

ACTUAL RESULT
as soon as I touched alt F to leave ship I became a criminalr

EXPECTED RESULT
Expect that exiting a ship not be illegal.

Dude (?), you are becoming the SomethingJones of the bugtracker! Go you!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lazrin posted:

why the gently caress would you think anyone at all would respond to smart?

the circle jerk in this echo chamber has to date provide no substance or proof of any of the claims laid out. so theres that.

goons are so irrelevant in this landscape now including your glorious leader, its time to let it go

The goons and Derek Smart are so irrelevant we must silence them everywhere we see them!! and create an entire subreddit dedicated to Derek Smart!!! and pay to join Something Awful to tell them how irrelevant they are!!!

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Oh fine, jesus. gently caress you guys.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Did he call your dads?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

ManofManyAliases posted:

IDK. I personally love to argue with him. He's the only one here that has engaged me back in counter argument without calling me an insult.

(Actually, that's not true - he's called me idiot, moron, shill, shitizen, dumbass, etc.) But, I think the point is - he's okay with me just posting. I just wouldn't call him an idol.

I like him too i was countering that we view him as some sort of leader. Which we dont really. Hes a quirky dude who gets inside info on occasion

A good mod too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Derek's got his own thing going on, he's a free radical.
To think you are really involved in Derek's stuff is silly, he's got his own goals here

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MoMA or that other guy, have you ever considered showing your faith and devotion to Star Citizen by getting a tattoo? I mean, this exciting new IP is going to revolutionize games and be around forever, right?

I want you to be reminded of your grief for the rest of your life

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I like everyone I just think some people are misguided and I hope that they find their way

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Did anyone ever contact Hilton corporate about the misuse of their trademarks?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Maybe try not being loving dumb?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SurfaceDetail posted:

It doesnt take years to set up an office retard

a special shiny one in LA does.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Help me understand

No. You are compromising our agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lazrin posted:

why the gently caress would you think anyone at all would respond to smart?

They did you dumb gently caress. And then they gave him all the attention he could possibly want.

• Locked thread