Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The netcode in DS1 is garbage. I don't mind getting invaded, but then I start getting the slideshow teleport game going on and it's unfun. I'm playing on PS3 so it's not like somebody is hacking or anything.

Also, stop getting pissed when I indict you, I'm getting you more invasions from Blade of the Darkmoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blech, ds2. Opened up more areas and still getting my rear end kicked all over the place, and not in a fun way.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

unlawfulsoup posted:

Deacons of the deep was the easiest boss I have encountered in a souls type game yet. Seriously, almost no tactics necessary, just hack your way to red eyes, and hack anything shooting magic at you. I am not really complaining, but you see this huge mob and you think it will actually be a fight.

I guess if you play using magic... :flaccid:

It's a fun fight if you use alluring skulls though, soon as one hits it's like someone rang the lunchbell at fat camp.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Deacons of the deep was the easiest boss I have encountered in a souls type game yet. Seriously, almost no tactics necessary, just hack your way to red eyes, and hack anything shooting magic at you. I am not really complaining, but you see this huge mob and you think it will actually be a fight.

I guess if you play using magic... :flaccid:

Have you ever fought Pinwheel?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pinwheel being easy is more a product of most people not heading back to the catacombs until they need to get to the tomb of giants

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
at least deacons can kill you if you are too slow to kill him. also it has nice atmosphere.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SynthOrange posted:

Blech, ds2. Opened up more areas and still getting my rear end kicked all over the place, and not in a fun way.

Perhaps you should...

...git gud?

After all, as I have shown DS2 does have the best combat mechanics.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vargatron posted:

The netcode in DS1 is garbage. I don't mind getting invaded, but then I start getting the slideshow teleport game going on and it's unfun. I'm playing on PS3 so it's not like somebody is hacking or anything.

Also, stop getting pissed when I indict you, I'm getting you more invasions from Blade of the Darkmoon!

This. People were complaining in here that DS3 is still using DS1's netcode. It is most decidedly not. Having a summon for boss fights in DS1 doesn't trivialize the fight because the bosses aren't geared around fighting two people, it's because the lag makes the boss AI go nuts and they just stand there while you wail on them. Or - with no warning you suddenly get insta-killed from a boss who looked like he was on the other side of the room from you - but that's at least rare. :v:

I've had some invasions where I'm going "what is he even doing?" because I see someone walking semi-randomly, swinging weapons at air, etc. Then suddenly I am launched into a backstab animation because he's apparently behind me now, and backstabbing me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

pinwheel being easy is more a product of most people not heading back to the catacombs until they need to get to the tomb of giants

I'd do it more if getting back out without the Lordvessel wasn't so annoying, to be honest.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HaB posted:

This. People were complaining in here that DS3 is still using DS1's netcode. It is most decidedly not.

All of that can theoretically happen in DS3. You're probably right, but those aren't the best examples. The issue is, people saying the netcode is basically the same have a much stronger argument.

For example, good luck explaining why bullets work the same as DS1, why you can switch invasion types mid-invade again, et cetera et cetera.

The most notable deviations are A) hair and B) the fact you can swap weapon art and it shows online, which is why my Black Knight Ultra Storm Ruler is a thing.

And B barely counts since weapon arts are new to DS3.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 16, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Developers, reusing code? Shock and awe! Honestly though I think they have console development on the forefront of their minds and this kind of memory value fuckery just can't happen on the consoles, It's just something you dont have to account for as a console dev. I know I wouldn't bother putting a bunch of sanity checks in my game if I was developing purely for console.

I wonder how big or funded their PC team compared to their console teams anyways.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd do it more if getting back out without the Lordvessel wasn't so annoying, to be honest.

Rest at Firelink, speedrun to Pinwheel, Homeward Bone out. I do it at the very beginning and summon Leeroy so I have the Rite of Kindling right at the start of the game.

Pretty simple as far as speedruns go.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Developers, reusing code? Shock and awe! Honestly though I think they have console development on the forefront of their minds and this kind of memory value fuckery just can't happen on the consoles.

I'd have rather they reused the DS2 code myself, the only effect you could force on others in that one is the Black Crystal at the cost of making yours not work.

Funny you mention consoles. The only reason statdrain was fixed was because it showed up on the PS3 version of DS1.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Loooooooool........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iISzMfYIv_U

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would say the frequency of netcode fuckery in DS3 is significantly lower than DS1.

Granted I'm using a miracle build that's designed for PVE, but I still traipse around in human form just for the added challenge. Kind of throws all that off when somebody teleports behind my back out hits me from across the room with a sword hit.

Also, holy poo poo I still have the parry timing down for Silver Knights.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

HaB posted:

Rest at Firelink, speedrun to Pinwheel, Homeward Bone out. I do it at the very beginning and summon Leeroy so I have the Rite of Kindling right at the start of the game.

Pretty simple as far as speedruns go.

I always do it from the first bonfire in catacombs. Getting back out of the place from that one isn't too bad and that way i can do a 'murder the necromancers' run first.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

Doing pinwheel early is a game changer though because of the rite of kindling. DS1 is a much different game first time around if you've got 20 flasks nearly all the way through.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Humans Among Us posted:

I always do it from the first bonfire in catacombs. Getting back out of the place from that one isn't too bad and that way i can do a 'murder the necromancers' run first.

Yeah I hit that bonfire if I'm speedrunning for the Great Scythe, since that is much trickier and has way more steps than just popping down to Pinwheel.

I do the Homeward Bone trick to return to Firelink from the 2nd trip to the Asylum just so I can avoid the Crow cutscene. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shannow posted:

It's a fun fight if you use alluring skulls though, soon as one hits it's like someone rang the lunchbell at fat camp.

I had a couple summons, so I just dropped firebombs into the clustered deacons while they pulled aggro

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did there used to be a crystal lizard in Lothric Castle near where you fight the gold dragon's bad case of athlete's foot? Not the one in the hollow thief alley that takes you back to the bonfire, but a higher ledge that wraps around to a little above the yard the dragons fill with fire. I distinctly remember finding one there on my first few characters, but after the last patch it doesn't seem to be there anymore. The Pontiff Knights also seem to be more aggressive since the patch.

In regards to code fuckery, has anyone done anything with giving weapons other weapons' movesets? I know it's possible on consoles (or at least was at one point), because on my first character I accidentally gave a hand axe the rear end moveset until I quit out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hard counter posted:

Doing pinwheel early is a game changer though because of the rite of kindling. DS1 is a much different game first time around if you've got 20 flasks nearly all the way through.

And getting one of the masks helps too. To me a complete game changer always goes by going to firelink's graveyard and getting the Zwei, or dropping to the catacombs for the gravelord sword or the great scythe, this one early infused with fire is drat powerful with little stat requeriments.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HaB posted:

This. People were complaining in here that DS3 is still using DS1's netcode. It is most decidedly not. Having a summon for boss fights in DS1 doesn't trivialize the fight because the bosses aren't geared around fighting two people, it's because the lag makes the boss AI go nuts and they just stand there while you wail on them. Or - with no warning you suddenly get insta-killed from a boss who looked like he was on the other side of the room from you - but that's at least rare. :v:

I've had some invasions where I'm going "what is he even doing?" because I see someone walking semi-randomly, swinging weapons at air, etc. Then suddenly I am launched into a backstab animation because he's apparently behind me now, and backstabbing me.

All of those things have happened to me in DS3. Nothing like that ever occurred to me in DS2 or sotfs

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tallgeese posted:

The most notable deviations are A) hair and B) the fact you can swap weapon art and it shows online, which is why my Black Knight Ultra Storm Ruler is a thing.

That sounds rad, albeit ineffectual. Personally, I'd just charge it and run around with a now cool looking sword.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What chime is the recommended one for a pyro that wants to cast a few dark buffs like gnaw and dark weapon? Is there any dark sorcery worth using as melee pyro? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff outside the pyro glove and smashing things to bits.

Oh, I've sunbroed Dancer like 10 times today and I have to say that is drat fun to just bleed the dancer with the barbed straight sword and carthus rouge, even if my stats are more oriented to INT/FTH, sometimes I could get an instant 1300ish bleed damage with a stagger.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Is PC controller support any better this go-round? I'll be playing the pc version with an xbox 360 controller.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
360 controller works fine.

Guillermus posted:

What chime is the recommended one for a pyro that wants to cast a few dark buffs like gnaw and dark weapon? Is there any dark sorcery worth using as melee pyro? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff outside the pyro glove and smashing things to bits.

Oh, I've sunbroed Dancer like 10 times today and I have to say that is drat fun to just bleed the dancer with the barbed straight sword and carthus rouge, even if my stats are more oriented to INT/FTH, sometimes I could get an instant 1300ish bleed damage with a stagger.

Caithas chime is the best for dark miracle casting i think. Since dark scales from both int and faith theres no reason to not to fool with them on a pyro build.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 16, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've had no issues with a very generic usb controller, ran x360ce once with default settings and everything was good

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Guillermus posted:

Warden Twinblades :colbert:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

More realistic shield and weapon combat would be cool but probably hard to balance in the same way as having more realistic attack animations. It's just easier to follow what's going on when everyone makes huge, slow telegraphed movements.

You could eschew realism for dynamism, but ultimately that really wouldn't fit the more deliberate flow that marks combat in the Souls games. At least you can still be mobile with rolls and the like - and not just be a tank - with small and medium shields.

SL 120 on the PS4 and I actually managed to get summoned twice as a blue phantom. Wasn't ready each time, but now that I know it can work, I may try it out. Patch maybe helped?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
You can skip getting the doll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1RB6LxU8Y

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

I was at the first Irithyl bonfire yesterday and saw a ton of bloodstains suicide jumping off the cliff in that precise location. I guess that explains why!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jeez so you can skip the Cathedral and a large portion of Illythril. Though you'd skip Patches and who'd do that?!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I let patches go after what happened in the cathedral, but after he locked me in the tower I escaped and murdered his rear end.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I love this game but it has a major flaw that isn't poise.

Why isn't there a shrug gesture?

No I'm serious, Bloodborne dropped the ball on this as well. There isn't anything even like it. What are you supposed to do when you don't know where to go and want your phantom buddies to take the lead. What are you supposed to do when the host sees you do something stupid? Or when you want to wordlessly communicate the confusing nature of the human condition?

Could this have to do with some nuance of Japanese nonverbal communication? I mean, the shrug was called "Mock" in DS2. What's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obkd0NeRWbg

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

BBQ Dave posted:

I love this game but it has a major flaw that isn't poise.

Why isn't there a shrug gesture?

No I'm serious, Bloodborne dropped the ball on this as well. There isn't anything even like it. What are you supposed to do when you don't know where to go and want your phantom buddies to take the lead. What are you supposed to do when the host sees you do something stupid? Or when you want to wordlessly communicate the confusing nature of the human condition?

Could this have to do with some nuance of Japanese nonverbal communication? I mean, the shrug was called "Mock" in DS2. What's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obkd0NeRWbg

I agree, we need a shrug.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Developers, reusing code? Shock and awe! Honestly though I think they have console development on the forefront of their minds and this kind of memory value fuckery just can't happen on the consoles, It's just something you dont have to account for as a console dev. I know I wouldn't bother putting a bunch of sanity checks in my game if I was developing purely for console.

I wonder how big or funded their PC team compared to their console teams anyways.

It was way better in dark souls 2 though so why not reuse the better code where many of the worst hacks tallgeese mentions were not possible

See also: All the other stuff they regressed on from dark souls 2

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They wasted way too many gesture slots on dumb bows and not enough on gestures that actually have some function.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Iretep posted:

They wasted way too many gesture slots on dumb bows and not enough on gestures that actually have some function.

Such as Decapitate, Warm Up and I Won't Bite for instance.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If they had copied Roar from bloodborne I wouldn't even need a gesture menu, I'd just press the gesture button and go straight to a Roar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They should put in roar but just have it use the falling to your death sounds.

Those screams make me laugh a lot for some reason. Especially the old man one.