Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

RA Rx posted:

Edit: eheh, the Blood Kite pilot is terrified. Poor guy, I think he was the only one to shoot at the Emergency Responder.

That's the hell of the doggies if you're a Clanner. No honor in shooting them, but also no way to tell if they are packed with explosives.

I'd guess the Atlas' negative quirk will become evident if it should fall down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Edit: eheh, the Blood Kite pilot is terrified. Poor guy, I think he was the only one to shoot at the Emergency Responder.

No, he fired at the patroller that shot him in the back.

Tempest_56 posted:

This is key for us to remember, yeah. PTN is absolutely going to try to use those lights to block our escape route. They need to die/get blocked or we're going to end up with one in the tunnel.

You just need the 3 outer hexes filled and I probably won't be able to get in. Most of the drops in to the inner hexes are height 3, and I don't have any jumpers except the Grendel. Even then, since the players move second they will still be in those hexes during the enemy's move phase, so I can't squeek in 'ahead' of players waiting for their turn to GTFO.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

You just need the 3 outer hexes filled and I probably won't be able to get in. Most of the drops in to the inner hexes are height 3, and I don't have any jumpers except the Grendel. Even then, since the players move second they will still be in those hexes during the enemy's move phase, so I can't squeek in 'ahead' of players waiting for their turn to GTFO.
With this in mind, we definitely need to coordinate our escape.

I think the Atlas, Gunsmith, and Stag should definitely go. With the Grendel still in play, we'll probably want to occupy all the hexes except the northernmost one (2732), so two more Mechs should go. My thought is the Phoenix Hawk and one other.

Mech Status
Should go
Atlas - heavily beat up
Gunsmith - 1 leg structure, moves at half speed
Stag - shot to pieces

Can go
Phoenix Hawk - 3 left leg structure, but has hands and can jump 6
Champion - 2 head structure, but otherwise fine
Ostscout - Has hands and can jump 7, may want to stick around
Screamer - Has hands and can jump 11, may want to stick around, 2 head structure though
Flashman - No hands, but has armor, although ct is beat up
Komodo - Hands, jump 5, may be needed to kill off Lancelot's infantry if they fall off

Can't leave this turn
Lancelot - Swarmed
Salamander
Dragoon
Copperhead
Grasshopper

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Either the Salamander or the Atlas could leave, but it'd be one or the other since they'd both be pushing for the same hex.

Edit: the enemy that was focusing the Salamander is dead, though.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
What are the rolls to shake off infantry swarms?

And how many tries can I pack into a turn?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

El Spamo posted:

What are the rolls to shake off infantry swarms?

And how many tries can I pack into a turn?
Falling to the ground to shake them off is a PSR. I don't think there are any modifiers to it. Doing so uses 1 mp. You can stand up (2 mp and another PSR) and fall down again until you run out of mp or the infantry fall off. I don't know if your pilot special ability helps with this, but either way, falling like this will damage you.

Another option is to try to punch them off during the physical phase, but since you don't have hands, you'll probably fail and punch yourself in the face instead. (Pilot skill 5 + 4 Punching infantry + 2 No hand or lower arm actuators = 11 to hit)

One option instead of falling repeatedly where you are is to move 5 hexes first, so that when the infantry fall off, they'll be far enough away that we shouldn't have to bother with them blocking our escape.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 16, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or you could attempt to deliberately run through that vortex and see what happens.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Well, if the Komodo is on hand to fire on the infantry, I can make 3 tries to shake them off with my 9 movement points. It's a lot of potential damage, but I'd rather lose another arm or a torso (do I have an XL engine? No idea. At least the center torso is still strong.) and my legs can take a hit or two of falling damage I think. With all the shots he has he's almost certain to paste them, and if I have any MP left over I can shift off their hex and try to shoot them as well. Do they get their ACE movement this round if I shake them off? When do they do their swarm damage, before or after I make the shake-off attempts?

You're right that punching them off is practically pointless, I'm even missing an arm for one of the punches!

Lousy friendly-fire rules, I could probably tank the shots and be able to walk away if the Komodo was allowed to hose me down.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
just take them with you. rwr might really want to interrogate a bunch of washed up clanner trash.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
PTN has yet to weigh in whether or not I can evac with hangers-on. I doubt it, they're probably not good passengers always asking for snacks and whether or not we're there yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't think allies can currently try to shoot off swarmers.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

El Spamo posted:

Do they get their ACE movement this round if I shake them off?
Nope, they don't get to move or shoot the round you shake them off.

quote:

When do they do their swarm damage, before or after I make the shake-off attempts?
Swarm damage happens during the shooting phase, so after you've tried to shake them off.

Edit: Posting pilot moves for everyone is going to be key the next few turns. The google doc is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFsYazXpGqU60EoAuAtLGB_1X9RKMVDnLC2jhBa49S0/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=36503224

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

El Spamo posted:

PTN has yet to weigh in whether or not I can evac with hangers-on. I doubt it, they're probably not good passengers always asking for snacks and whether or not we're there yet.

You can't (seriously, go for the tornado)

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Either the Salamander or the Atlas could leave, but it'd be one or the other since they'd both be pushing for the same hex.

Edit: the enemy that was focusing the Salamander is dead, though.

Yeah, and I'm in better shape than the Atlas (even if I've got a weak head). And, bluntly, less important. Dadlas must escape.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't (seriously, go for the tornado)

You know it's getting good when the DM/GM advocates you run your two story high robot through a tornado to shake off infantry.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Building on that "dice luck has been amazing" comment, I think it might've built up some overconfidence in the situation. The players were way too overextended during the 'raid' part of the mission, have been too slow to pull back and haven't been able to keep the extraction area clear (accepting that this was partly because of Axe-man being unavailable). Under normal rolling conditions the whole mission could be scrubbed by now.

But even with the incredible kill-streak we've seen so far, there is no killing your way out of this scenario, and it only takes one bad or even average turn for several more mechs to drop or become blocked. I'm a little amazed nobody picked up Icepick, you absolutely don't have enough breathing room to put off retreating and picking him up now just became harder and riskier. You absolutely need to extract the maximum number of mechs you can this turn, and every turn thereafter, which means coordinating thoroughly to avoid collisions - one miscommunication that leaves a space open for PTN to block extraction with and you could all die.

I mean, I'm pulling for you guys, and the odds are good for at least half of you getting away, but you've gone well beyond pushing your luck. My money's on this being the turn Ath gets slightly less bored via murder, although maybe that other Revenant exploding will at least buy you a turn while the rest of the Clanners try to prevent a repeat.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Let the atlas escape. Champion will go for the second round of evacs

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

garland336 posted:

You know it's getting good when the DM/GM advocates you run your two story high robot through a tornado to shake off infantry.

Throwing yourself at the ground over and over could kill you faster than the infantry, or worse leave them mostly intact if they voluntarily drop off. Running into the tornado will wipe them out and at most you're risking a single fall. :shrug:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I may be missing something about movement, but can the Lancelot even make it to the nearest tornado?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just gotta make it to 2830. There's a reasonable chance the Tornado's going to wind up there in the shooting phase.

I mean, there's also a good chance that it won't. :shrug:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Aaahhh! I can't reach it, it's all uphill aaaahhhh :gonk:

Isn't the tornado movement randomized? I think I can get as close as 2831 and pray. If it doesn't hit me next round I'm not sure I'll have enough time/armor to get to the evac zone if I have to go chasing it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just gotta make it to 2830. There's a reasonable chance the Tornado's going to wind up there in the shooting phase.

I mean, there's also a good chance that it won't. :shrug:

9 movement points dude. "Walk" didn't have to be a hard limit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

Building on that "dice luck has been amazing" comment, I think it might've built up some overconfidence in the situation. The players were way too overextended during the 'raid' part of the mission, have been too slow to pull back and haven't been able to keep the extraction area clear (accepting that this was partly because of Axe-man being unavailable). Under normal rolling conditions the whole mission could be scrubbed by now.

But even with the incredible kill-streak we've seen so far, there is no killing your way out of this scenario, and it only takes one bad or even average turn for several more mechs to drop or become blocked. I'm a little amazed nobody picked up Icepick, you absolutely don't have enough breathing room to put off retreating and picking him up now just became harder and riskier. You absolutely need to extract the maximum number of mechs you can this turn, and every turn thereafter, which means coordinating thoroughly to avoid collisions - one miscommunication that leaves a space open for PTN to block extraction with and you could all die.

I mean, I'm pulling for you guys, and the odds are good for at least half of you getting away, but you've gone well beyond pushing your luck. My money's on this being the turn Ath gets slightly less bored via murder, although maybe that other Revenant exploding will at least buy you a turn while the rest of the Clanners try to prevent a repeat.

That's uh, pretty pessimistic. During the opening half the thread was back seat quarterbacking in favor of charging way further out than the group did, to engage the initial stars instead of running up the plane kills. And they've pulled back in an orderly manner as soon as the mission changed/was complete. Yea, they've had good luck but it's sorta weird bagging on them and saying essentially "Well you did a bunch of wrong stuff but the dice saved you!!"
Sebmojo in the Grasshopper is going to pick up Icepick on this turn, because he can get both a +2 mod and has by far the most armor remaining, too.

Other things to note, get outside 3/4 hexes from the two attacking lights to neuter their damage. Seb can't avoid being in range of the Locust IIC, but luckily it needs 13s to hit with it's heavy small laser battery.

Taking them out is iffy since all three lighter mechs have +4 move mods, and the Black Python has a +3.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So can you run 9 and get as close as possible to the tornado then do a deliberate fall in hopes of shaking them off even if the tornado doesn't come your way? And what would be the consequences of a tornado rolling over a prone mech?

Edit: Sorry if I sounded too pessimistic, I've basically been pushing for retreat since turn 3 or 4 and this constant skin-of-their-teeth survival is very tense, but certainly exciting! A more conservative strategy might've robbed us of Duncan's "a Star a minute" performance.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

El Spamo posted:

9 movement points dude. "Walk" didn't have to be a hard limit.

I counted it out.

And walk wasn't the limit, you told me your end hex and I drew a straight line path to get you there using the movement mode you suggested.

Edit: If you hadn't made yourself an easy target they would've gone point blank with the Gunsmith and shredded it, so in a way it was possibly even fortuitous. They're not using laser rifles like the Heavy Jumpers, so the Gunsmith can't absorb the sort of punishment they can dish out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 16, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I think not much, it's the chance to make you fall that makes the tornado hurt I think?
Anyway, yeah that's a good point for only going as far as 2832 (can't get to 2830) I can try to get them off.

If I HAVE to get to 2830 to have a chance of getting tornado'd then my options seem to come down to die, or die faster with a chance of not dying.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think El Spamo is assuming you saw this post and accepted it as orders, midway through processing the last turn:

El Spamo posted:

Oh godammit, that's me. Um, I should have enough movement points to go around them. Whichever way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I think El Spamo is assuming you saw this post and accepted it as orders, midway through processing the last turn:

I've never accepted order corrections from in-thread (they're too easy to miss, which I clearly did). By the time I thought to mention / put out a reminder that enemy units always block movement, I was already rolling combat damage which is past my cut-off for order corrections anyway.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
An unforced error is a harder pill to swallow than cruel dice. Anyway, the problem to solve now is those damned swarmers.

How much damage do they do? Falling damage is 5 points? A split 10 points? If I can get them to drop off voluntarily I may be able get up and get away rather than go storm chasing. Does that kneeling quirk apply at all here? Doesn't seem like it would, but I have no rulebook.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What if the real plan here is to get the clans to risk sending down or relocating drop ships? The battleship opens enough holes to send down transports, which are then blasted upon arrival by the good dogs. The clans ground forces are trapped, the McKenna can't be reinforced from the ground and has open ports for drop ships ready to be breached.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've never accepted order corrections from in-thread (they're too easy to miss, which I clearly did). By the time I thought to mention / put out a reminder that enemy units always block movement, I was already rolling combat damage which is past my cut-off for order corrections anyway.

Yeah that's what I assumed. Sorry El Spamo but PTN has been consistent about not making assumptions and then altering people's orders based on his assumptions, and that's exactly how a GM needs to behave. Given how many players he has at a time, it's also not practical (or fair, really) to reply to potentially bad moves submitted to him with "are you sure?"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

So can you run 9 and get as close as possible to the tornado then do a deliberate fall in hopes of shaking them off even if the tornado doesn't come your way? And what would be the consequences of a tornado rolling over a prone mech?

Edit: Sorry if I sounded too pessimistic, I've basically been pushing for retreat since turn 3 or 4 and this constant skin-of-their-teeth survival is very tense, but certainly exciting! A more conservative strategy might've robbed us of Duncan's "a Star a minute" performance.

Well, I mean the mission wasn't even close to done on turn 4 :???:

El Spamo posted:

An unforced error is a harder pill to swallow than cruel dice. Anyway, the problem to solve now is those damned swarmers.

How much damage do they do? Falling damage is 5 points? A split 10 points? If I can get them to drop off voluntarily I may be able get up and get away rather than go storm chasing. Does that kneeling quirk apply at all here? Doesn't seem like it would, but I have no rulebook.

They do 12 damage, in 2 damage chunks. The most likely locations for them to hit are your torsos, and it will only take two hits to your LT or RT to cause a potential crit.

To go prone and try to knock them off, you have to intentionally drop, and make a PSR (No modifiers, so just 5+), and then you also have to roll to avoid a pilot hit. Even if you succeed at the rolls, you still take damage as if you accidentally fell (Falling damage is 1 per 10 tons your mech weighs, times the number of levels you fell + 1) in 5 point clusters, so you'd take 6 damage for throwing yourself to the ground.

So 12 damage from swarming vs 6 from falling.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chronojam posted:

What if the real plan here is to get the clans to risk sending down or relocating drop ships? The battleship opens enough holes to send down transports, which are then blasted upon arrival by the good dogs. The clans ground forces are trapped, the McKenna can't be reinforced from the ground and has open ports for drop ships ready to be breached.

They've already got way more force in the area than they need to kill GoonLance. Why would they send dropships down? If they were going to risk dropship runs, wouldn't they have done so already to try and strike around the areas they were initially being confined to when they were being assaulted in the prepared landing zones Amaris set for them?

Also, Good Dogs wouldn't stand a chance against dropships. They'd be so outgunned it isn't even funny.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Well, I mean the mission wasn't even close to done on turn 4 :???:

They do 12 damage, in 2 damage chunks. The most likely locations for them to hit are your torsos, and it will only take two hits to your LT or RT to cause a potential crit.

To go prone and try to knock them off, you have to intentionally drop, and make a PSR (No modifiers, so just 5+), and then you also have to roll to avoid a pilot hit. Even if you succeed at the rolls, you still take damage as if you accidentally fell (Falling damage is 1 per 10 tons your mech weighs, times the number of levels you fell + 1) in 5 point clusters, so you'd take 6 damage for throwing yourself to the ground.

So 12 damage from swarming vs 6 from falling.

The trick to this being that there's no guarantee that falling will actually affect the swarming infantry. And they can simply elect to not be there when you try to get them off.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if you fail the PSR, then they won't get dislodged, but you still take damage anyhow.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zaodai posted:

They've already got way more force in the area than they need to kill GoonLance. Why would they send dropships down? If they were going to risk dropship runs, wouldn't they have done so already to try and strike around the areas they were initially being confined to when they were being assaulted in the prepared landing zones Amaris set for them?

Also, Good Dogs wouldn't stand a chance against dropships. They'd be so outgunned it isn't even funny.

Resupply, salvage, and repair; nothing dishonorable or beyond their bid forces. The robots just need to sneak in to destroy the engines in a suicidal strike.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
So, two falls is two chances to shake them off or provoke them to let go on their own and the same amount if not distribution of damage. They can be targeted once (and if) they let go (go Komodo!)? What's the roll to actually get them off? What's the likelihood of them letting go to avoid squishing? I'd rather take 6 points of damage than 12, and 12 and be free vs. 12 and pray to the tornado gods. A torso hit would be bad, but their swarm attacks are nearly guaranteed to punch through either side anyway.

I re-read the map, there's not a step up to 2830 so I CAN make it there (no drop-prone rolls possible though), and make it to the evac next round. The odds of the storm actually hitting me is...?

Or eject and hitch a ride out...

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
A 5+ roll to succeed in shaking them off in exchange for 6 damage? That's... good odds.

I know PTN said run for the tornado, which would be cool for sure, but if the roll for the tornado-washer is not as good as 5+ then taking the hit(s) might be the better move.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Spamo posted:

So, two falls is two chances to shake them off or provoke them to let go on their own and the same amount if not distribution of damage. They can be targeted once (and if) they let go (go Komodo!)? What's the roll to actually get them off? What's the likelihood of them letting go to avoid squishing? I'd rather take 6 points of damage than 12, and 12 and be free vs. 12 and pray to the tornado gods. A torso hit would be bad, but their swarm attacks are nearly guaranteed to punch through either side anyway.

I re-read the map, there's not a step up to 2830 so I CAN make it there (no drop-prone rolls possible though), and make it to the evac next round. The odds of the storm actually hitting me is...?

Or eject and hitch a ride out...

The roll is just you need a 5 or better to get them off. And if you make the roll, they take 2d6 damage, and can't move or shoot, either.

e: I'm not sure because the rules wording is un-clear, but I think if you fail the roll you don't take the damage? TW: 222 just says if you fail the PSR, you go prone and do not dislodge the infantry. If the roll succeeds, you take damage as if you accidentally fell, deal 2d6 damage to the infantry squad, and must make an extra roll to avoid a pilot hit.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hey Lancelot as the po elbow drop remember you can drop in from above, crash and suck the pain and if you are alive escape on your movement phase after using the hurricane to purge the infantry from you!

• Locked thread