Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Stringbean posted:

I think people had just come to terms with Ghost heat and now they're taking a stick out of the spokes to throw a wrench in instead.
Yeah, my gut feeling is they'll replace Ghost Heat with some equally lovely mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

armchairyoda posted:

Is the pts available during normal hours as in the past?

For 15-30 minutes once every other week?

It will be up for an extended test. I'm not sure when it hits PTS but I don't think it will be in June.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So... like... there's no details about the PTS ghost heat test Mr. 9?

That's fairly in line with :pgi: i guess.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Kazvall's toxx is coming true!

I really hope it isn't poo poo. They're on a good roll for the most part.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Soooooooooo... with ghost heat replaced by an "energy drain system", is it safe to say mechs run on mana now?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Calling it now, instead of making it so you can fire with a great penalty they'll make it so that you just can't fire more than 6 medium lasers or whatever.

"Uh yeah the uhhh, fusion generator capacitors can't deal with the draw and the uh, the computer won't let the mech overdraw it's energy reserves."

E: it will constradict itself, I.e. 7 med las? Nope. 6 med las and 3 lpl? Go for it champ.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
My guess is that the more of X weapon fired at once, the less damage it deals. That would be a PGI thing to do.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It'll be a variant on the "can't fire more than two gauss rifles at once" thing, I'm sure. Because it can be bolted on to something they've already built.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like a soft-prevention system tbh.

Seperated from heat, which still builds up with heat/weapon fired additively, you will have some kind of (mana)pool from which weapons "draw" juice to shoot but gometrically.
So just to pull some numbers out of my rear end, 6 med lasers would draw 6x5 power, but 7 would draw 7x6, 8 would draw 8x7 up to 10x9. 11 med lasers would cost 11x10 power which would be more than 100 and thus be impossible.
If staying within weapon grouping i imagine it just adds up all power draw values and fires everything you told it to up to the maximum output.
Like 6 med lasers (30) and 2 large (2x10) for 50 power would still be fine.
Looking at that, the actual power draw will likely be much higher.

Right now you can fire up to 15 large lasers and just die from the heat, but youre still able to fire them once or maybe twice.
Then you would be able to fire more than the given "safe number" but not infinitly, since the amount of energy needed will at some point reach, but not be able to exceed, maximum power draw.

Kinda like the softcap we have now, but with an added hardcap.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

If this ruins the fun I've been having with my quad UAC10 Kodiak I'm going to be pissed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tangerines posted:

If this ruins the fun I've been having with my quad UAC10 Kodiak I'm going to be pissed.

Of COURSE it will.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I dont think the quadbear will suffer.
My guess is to work against the minmaxing of ghost heat weapongroups, i.e. 7 med = ghost heat, but 6 med + 3large = no penalty.

My main concern is the balance between IS and Clan.
With current ghost heat clan had smaller thresholds in almost every cathegory.

e: like in, they wont penalize stuff thats already penalized by ghost heat even more, theyll gonna prevent abuse of ghost heat loopholes.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 16, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Instead of this poo poo, how come they can't do something USEFUL like make the gameplay more than what it currently is: Flat Snow Map Skirmish. Everyone jerks off for 5-10 minutes lobbing LRMs and PPC shots until someone gets bored and moves out. Once one side is down 4-5 mechs other side generally collapses.

Last 2 days I have tried playing that is all it turned into. Everyone votes for the most Skirmish mission type available and the flattest and coolest map available. Its unfun unbearable poo poo. Like any map or conquest which has more than just BLOB UP AND LRM/SNIPECAMP? Most of the playerbase only wants the MWO equivalent of Fox Only No Items Final Destination. Except even shittier somehow. Like if you could put original Quake 1 on the most open Wolf3D map and you had to preselect weapons. And most of the players all took Rocket Launcher or got those homing explody things that the Drider looking thing in Expansion 1 has.

Its just not remotely fun or interesting. Its been years now and no FFA modes. No Capture the Flag. No Solaris Arenas. Just mass hordes lobbing LRMs and sniping while refusing to move out of some firing line that looks more like a Napoleonic battle than one with big fuckoff giant robots full of all sorts of cool rear end guns. Hell, even cutting the timer in half would be a big improvement. Dropping numbers down to 8 a side if not 4. Instead of these faster and simpler things they come up with stupid weapon balance modes and CW which is somehow LESS fun than pub drop normal modes.

(And in general it seems every game mode is KILL OTHER SIDE. Conquest has a nice set now with the way capping points work that mitigates KILL THE FUCKERS to some degree but the game is still 95% eliminate other team.)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Captain Rufus posted:

Instead of this poo poo, how come they can't do something USEFUL like make the gameplay more than what it currently is: Flat Snow Map Skirmish. Everyone jerks off for 5-10 minutes lobbing LRMs and PPC shots until someone gets bored and moves out. Once one side is down 4-5 mechs other side generally collapses.

Last 2 days I have tried playing that is all it turned into. Everyone votes for the most Skirmish mission type available and the flattest and coolest map available. Its unfun unbearable poo poo. Like any map or conquest which has more than just BLOB UP AND LRM/SNIPECAMP? Most of the playerbase only wants the MWO equivalent of Fox Only No Items Final Destination. Except even shittier somehow. Like if you could put original Quake 1 on the most open Wolf3D map and you had to preselect weapons. And most of the players all took Rocket Launcher or got those homing explody things that the Drider looking thing in Expansion 1 has.

Its just not remotely fun or interesting. Its been years now and no FFA modes. No Capture the Flag. No Solaris Arenas. Just mass hordes lobbing LRMs and sniping while refusing to move out of some firing line that looks more like a Napoleonic battle than one with big fuckoff giant robots full of all sorts of cool rear end guns. Hell, even cutting the timer in half would be a big improvement. Dropping numbers down to 8 a side if not 4. Instead of these faster and simpler things they come up with stupid weapon balance modes and CW which is somehow LESS fun than pub drop normal modes.

(And in general it seems every game mode is KILL OTHER SIDE. Conquest has a nice set now with the way capping points work that mitigates KILL THE FUCKERS to some degree but the game is still 95% eliminate other team.)

Well that comes pretty automatically with "no respawn".
Every objective is easier to achieve with no enemies left.

Im beginning to think on-field repair stations might be a thing that helps.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Captain Rufus posted:

its almost like the game is run poorly by a bunch of loving retards!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of ghost heat you'll have ghost lasers.

You fire 12 weapons at once but only do the damage of 6 :smugdog:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Make khavall rip out every last hair

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

Make khavall rip out every last hair

Every. Single. One.

And one at a time, that was the deal! Pray we don't alter it further.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
We might need a hitbox diagram though, to define the border between center torso and legs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Iron Tusk posted:

Some sort of energy drain system.

It's the 31st century, a time of endless wars in which star empires won't stop kissing that strangely vulnerable and attractive woman in every dungeon they find.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's the 31st century, a time of endless wars in which star empires won't stop kissing that strangely vulnerable and attractive woman in every dungeon they find.

That's how you get space-"cold sores"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So is this new heat system going to force the game into an even more, HIDE LIKE A PUSSY AND SNIPE WITH LONG RANGE WEAPONS, than it already is? I've noticed the same thing as Rufus. about 75% of games are nothing but giant pussies hiding at 800m and somehow managing to hit CT 100% of the time with ppcs. Occassionally a team will actually push and a brawl will happen, but it's not often.

I have noticed that the Euro servers seem to be more brawl friendly than NA though.

Also, the Kodiak is a giant piece of poo poo compared to the Widowmaker.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Also, the Kodiak is a giant piece of poo poo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

veedubfreak posted:

So is this new heat system going to force the game into an even more, HIDE LIKE A PUSSY AND SNIPE WITH LONG RANGE WEAPONS, than it already is? I've noticed the same thing as Rufus.

Russ likes sniping (and bringing LRMs with 1 ton of ammo per launcher) and every change is made to cater to Russ's proclivities

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the KDK-3 is probably the best assault in the game, the Spirit Bear is right up there with the best brawlers, and the KDK-2 is pretty good too

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

the KDK-3 is probably the best assault in the game, the Spirit Bear is right up there with the best brawlers, and the KDK-2 is pretty good too

You have a weird way of spelling Atlas S.

Edit: I'm pretty confident any of the Warhammer variants can outbrawl any of the Kodiaks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

Edit: I'm pretty confident any of the Warhammer variants can outbrawl any of the Kodiaks.

one thing is certain: everything can beat a Phoenix Hawk if these end up being the quirks:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/06/1566-countdown-to-phoenix-hawk-release-5-day-left

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jesus gently caress those are bad..

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Holy poo poo, those are abysmal.

One looks like it could be a Vindicator. gently caress it, might as well be a VND

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How do I cancel a preorder again?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the only saving grace is that they've been known to quickly re-quirk (like the Archer) and the PHX seems like it could be decent with good quirks (unlike the Archer)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

the only saving grace is that they've been known to quickly re-quirk (like the Archer) and the PHX seems like it could be decent with good quirks (unlike the Archer)

Even re-quirked the Archer quirks suck before you even get to geometry.

Skoll posted:

Here's a hint: you don't play a Kodiak like you do an Atlas. It isn't a front line brawler. Yes, this includes the SB. It's entire thing is gassing in and out of cover way faster than something its size should and delivering a shitload of SRMs and AC while doing so.

edit: I've said this tons before, but the PHX is another great example: DO NOT PRE ORDER. THe bonuses you get are really lack luster for the risk you are taking. Wait until the quirks are revealed or, better yet, until there are a couple days of live play for a general consensus to develop. Pick the pack you want to buy then (especially important with figuring out if the Hero is worth a drat) and enjoy having your mech as an exclusive for just as long as everyone else minus a few million c-bills and some modules that are probably garbage anyway.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No poo poo, Sherlock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

one thing is certain: everything can beat a Phoenix Hawk if these end up being the quirks:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/06/1566-countdown-to-phoenix-hawk-release-5-day-left

:flaccid:

DOA, no doubt about it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Grab bag event starting today. Someone come make bad decisions with me.

Bah, starts tomorrow.

Also, our contract has ended, so someone should probably reup for the event this weekend.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 16, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
A Kicker Warhorn? Even the chance of one of those is worth playing.

Radar dep and an XL400 for grand prize is also good stuff.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The thing you have to remember about the quirks is that they do not exist in a vacuum, and almost every mech in the game is getting both resized and requirked on the day that mech comes out. The quirks will probably still be garbage, but to PGI's credit they seem to be trying to rein in quirk power creep and maybe the patch on the 21st means the PHX's quirks aren't as bad as they seem.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So is tehre a maximum of grabs this time?
Didnt see anything on the page.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

100 tickets from regular play
15 tickets from scouting
35 tickets from the other CW mode
100 tickets at 25 per upcoming mech you've pre-ordered, excluding the PHX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

The thing you have to remember about the quirks is that they do not exist in a vacuum, and almost every mech in the game is getting both resized and requirked on the day that mech comes out. The quirks will probably still be garbage, but to PGI's credit they seem to be trying to rein in quirk power creep and maybe the patch on the 21st means the PHX's quirks aren't as bad as they seem.

Oh for sure. But unless they're going to add a shitload of negative quirks to the shadow cat on the 21st the phoenix hawk is still going to be a steaming pile of diarrhea in comparison.

Might have some negative implications for future IS mech sales. But then what do I know? :shrug:

• Locked thread