Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the real question here is if Uvogin took the hunter exam how big of punchingstuff-bros would he become with netero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
At the least, Illumi caved in that one guy's head during the exam with his needles. Like, a large portion of his skull where his brain should have been went concave. The guy didn't die (immediately), but still, Netero saw that and had no problems with it.

Tangent, when people are talking about Illumi not killing innocents, are they just referring to the exam? Because if not then his hunt for Alluka had a ridiculous body count of completely innocent people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think the zoldyck family really understands the concept of innocents. zeno was upset because he almost killed someone who wasn't a target. could have been a blind child or the former ruler of that country, but it would have been equally tragic as far as he was concerned. if someone had paid for that or any other child to die he would have gladly done the deed with no qualms.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Zeno's deal with collateral damage seems to be more a matter of professionalism than morality.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

Kinda missing the forest for the trees here, IMO. The point is Netero wasn't exactly big on enforcing moral scruples. Illumi even asked him, to his face, if it would be alright to kill him after receiving his license and Netero said yes. Granted, I'm sure Netero had nothing to fear from someone like Illumi, but even so, "The Devil himself could pass the Hunter Exam if an examiner says it's okay."

Hisoka straight up told him the only reason he wanted to be a hunter was to get away with murder and Netero passed him as well. I'm sure Netero would've passed any of the Spiders who made it that far.

Tangentially, Illumi has probably killed innocent bystanders, not that Netero would know about that. I never got the sense his needle puppets survived extraction, and a great number of them seemed to be "Normal" people.

Illumi was declared a legal target for Hunting by the Association during the exam. I mean, it's not out of any moral objection I'm sure, but having Hunters going around being mass murderers kind of gives the Association a bad reputation and it won't stand for that, so it keeps people from going too crazy. Or just being less than circumspect about it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

To paraphrase Dara Ó Briain, the Hunter Association as three states of legality "That's grand"; then it moves into "Ah, now, don't push it"; and finally to "Right! You're taking the piss." And that's where the hunters sweep in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Yea, it's specifically mentioned early on that the amount of money you could get just for selling a Hunter license is enough to support yourself for your entire life. If they were unusable by anyone but the original Hunter, there wouldn't be such a massive black market price for them and there'd be no talk of stealing one to use yourself.

They're collector's items. Rare as hell ones, too.

I don't think anyone ever brings up stealing one to use it. There's a fairly strong suggestion that people who fail to learn Nen will have their license taken from them, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I don't think anyone ever brings up stealing one to use it. There's a fairly strong suggestion that people who fail to learn Nen will have their license taken from them, though.

they aren't that rare if more are produced almost every year. also, the hunter site only checked the card. there were no biometrics or passwords. heck, i don't think the cards even have names or pictures of their owners on them.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Serious Frolicking posted:

they aren't that rare if more are produced almost every year. also, the hunter site only checked the card. there were no biometrics or passwords. heck, i don't think the cards even have names or pictures of their owners on them.

There are a lot of them but, like, how the hell are you going to get a hold of one?

Tunicate posted:

I think it's stated at the end of the exam that the licence is only worth money to collectors as a novelty piece and that only the Hunter it's assigned to can use it, at the same time it says like one quarter of people who get the license lose it in the first year. Presumably that's mostly people who don't learn nen, yeah, since until you do you haven't technically passed the exam.

Regardless, Shalnark definitely earned his license and didn't steal it, he's listed as one of the absentees on the results of the Chairman Election (along with Gon and Shoot), so the Hunter Association has his name on file and everything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Illumi is the grandson of one of Netero's friends. In any case, all the killing Hisoka and Illumi have done (IIRC) is the kind of thing someone like Netero or Ging would probably shrug off with "they knew the risks." I'm pretty sure Franklin has actually killed uninvolved people.

Yeah, Gon explicitly doesn't hold grudges against the Bombers for killing people in the game cause they were all hunters who knew the risks of getting into Greed Island.

When Goreinu objects, Killua admits to having killed innocents as an assassin, which is actually worse than what the Bombers did.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did Togashi ever fully explain the temporary hunters and how Pariston exercised control in both the election and day to day of the association.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Tangentially, Illumi has probably killed innocent bystanders, not that Netero would know about that. I never got the sense his needle puppets survived extraction, and a great number of them seemed to be "Normal" people.

Oh Illumi kills a ton of innocent bystanders. His first attack in the election arc had him brainwash some dudes to drive cars off cliffs at their target. Of all the Zoldyks he cared about collateral damage the least. (Zeno was pretty clear he does not kill people unless he is payed to and he only kills the person he is payed to, Silva seems to have a similar outlook but less issue in killing those that are just plain stupid and try to pick a fight after being told to scram.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh Illumi kills a ton of innocent bystanders. His first attack in the election arc had him brainwash some dudes to drive cars off cliffs at their target. Of all the Zoldyks he cared about collateral damage the least. (Zeno was pretty clear he does not kill people unless he is payed to and he only kills the person he is payed to, Silva seems to have a similar outlook but less issue in killing those that are just plain stupid and try to pick a fight after being told to scram.)

:rip: Cheetu.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He died as he lived.

Dangerously cheesy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

There are a lot of them but, like, how the hell are you going to get a hold of one?

I think it's stated at the end of the exam that the licence is only worth money to collectors as a novelty piece and that only the Hunter it's assigned to can use it, at the same time it says like one quarter of people who get the license lose it in the first year. Presumably that's mostly people who don't learn nen, yeah, since until you do you haven't technically passed the exam.

Regardless, Shalnark definitely earned his license and didn't steal it, he's listed as one of the absentees on the results of the Chairman Election (along with Gon and Shoot), so the Hunter Association has his name on file and everything.

They never said either of those things. Lots of people lose their license in their first year, but that would include sales and theft. They have a year to start learning nen, so presumably those people would lose theirs after the first year.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

cheetu was too pure for this world

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

They never said either of those things. .

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/358/3472/1

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, I really start to recognize patterns here. Togashi seems to love to set up closed off environments with strict rules for his arcs in addition to whatever enemy has to be overcome.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

e X posted:

You know, I really start to recognize patterns here. Togashi seems to love to set up closed off environments with strict rules for his arcs in addition to whatever enemy has to be overcome.

whenever he does those scenarios they are awesome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

e X posted:

You know, I really start to recognize patterns here. Togashi seems to love to set up closed off environments with strict rules outside for his arcs in addition to whatever enemy has to be overcome.

It's basically the set-up of continuously more elaborate puzzles. Also, the body doubles thing definitely seems like Chrollo and his team have gotten on board the lower decks along with more than a few dolls set up with the plan to try and access the upper decks. The build-up to the inevitable clusterfuck just gets bigger.

I do question the design of the giant ship. Did they just take a preexisting cruise ship/yacht and attach it to the top of the super-ship or something?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I do question the design of the giant ship. Did they just take a preexisting cruise ship/yacht and attach it to the top of the super-ship or something?

The top of a super SUB!

In case of an emergency the yacht will detach from the base, and the rest of it will sink below the waves.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
it's basically Christopher Columbus + Titanic + a royal succession war with a little murderous clown sprinkled on top

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I love the idea of a Kodoku and this trip is going to be an insane one. You have the Kakin succession war, conflict between the zodiacs and Pariston's faction, now it's looking like Spiders vs Hisoka; all on one boat with no escape. All we need is someone to light the powder keg.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's basically the set-up of continuously more elaborate puzzles. Also, the body doubles thing definitely seems like Chrollo and his team have gotten on board the lower decks along with more than a few dolls set up with the plan to try and access the upper decks. The build-up to the inevitable clusterfuck just gets bigger.

Can they be using dolls if Kortupi is dead? I don't think his ability is going to persist after his death

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chrollo can use transfer student on some old-fashioned manniquens.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
isnt this just the prelude, too? like all this poo poo is going to go down.....and then they arrive on a continent with unfathomable horrors

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So are the king and one of the princes actual One Piece-style giants? Well, not giants, but like big dudes. I don't recall anyone in HxH just casually being 12 feet tall before.

I forgot that nobody outside of the king even knows about the nen beasts. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy monster that baby dreamed up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beyond and Benjamin are just standing at the front as a result they just look bigger then the rest. We already know Beyond is just tall but normal sized.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have caught up now. Chimera Ant definitely ends strong and everything else after is good overall. Chrollo vs Hisoka was excellent.

A series with frequent lengthy hiatuses where they've just got on a boat? I swear I've heard that before...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Begemot posted:

So are the king and one of the princes actual One Piece-style giants? Well, not giants, but like big dudes. I don't recall anyone in HxH just casually being 12 feet tall before.

I forgot that nobody outside of the king even knows about the nen beasts. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy monster that baby dreamed up.

I wanna see what weird poo poo Hisoka would make if he gets his hands on that pot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tbp posted:

isnt this just the prelude, too? like all this poo poo is going to go down.....and then they arrive on a continent with unfathomable horrors

That's just what I was thinking. It seems like the voyage is going to be its own arc before we even get close to the Dark Continent. I assume we won't be hearing from Ging and Pariston for a while if that's the case. Actually come to think of it Gon and Killua won't be in it for a long time the way things are trending :saddowns:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

That's just what I was thinking. It seems like the voyage is going to be its own arc before we even get close to the Dark Continent. I assume we won't be hearing from Ging and Pariston for a while if that's the case. Actually come to think of it Gon and Killua won't be in it for a long time the way things are trending :saddowns:

Turns out Gon is there as a civilian passenger down in the 4th deck. He just wanted to go on an adventure!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Begemot posted:

Turns out Gon is there as a civilian passenger down in the 4th deck. He just wanted to go on an adventure!

Turns out the ship passes right by whale island, and Kurapika just jumps off the boat.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Maybe I'm being paranoid or something, but I'm suspicious of the crime and medical situation, and Kakin being unprepared and understaffed. If Beyond knows the makeup of the zodiacs (I think he does, it's been a while since I read the first few chapters of this arc) these could both be deliberate ploys to ensure Cheadle, Botobai, Leorio and Mizai are too preoccupied with dealing with that stuff to properly coordinate before launching for some reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't think of it like that and it could well be the case! Rather than them being unprepared I think it reads much more like they just cut corners for the dirty poors whereas the upper decks have more than enough facilities. Still fits with your theory though.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Turns out whale island is actually one of those ships and it's mating season.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A series with frequent lengthy hiatuses where they've just got on a boat? I swear I've heard that before...

Why would you do this, you monster. :negative:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
was it ever made clear if the thing melody listened to came from the dark continent?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

was it ever made clear if the thing melody listened to came from the dark continent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Chrollo can use transfer student on some old-fashioned manniquens.

that doesn't make any sense at all. but chrollo can indeed use transfer student to take someone's appearance, and then put that appearance on a third person and he can keep doing so for as long as he has it bookmarked. i don't know if it is necessary for him to go through that much trouble to infiltrate a boat, though. i mean, taking someone's ticket and appearance but leaving them alive?