Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My old and often-dropped Moto X (2013) finally cracked its screen, and combined with the microphone not working (not too inconvenient since I have a Bluetooth headset) I've just decided to buy a cheap identical phone off Ebay to last the few months before we replace them with something newer anyway.

But I've never tried to switch smartphones on the same plan before. What I'd like to do is image the old phone and just imprint it completely on the new one, but that doesn't seem like a thing that can happen. What's the simplest way to import everything from my old phone? Contacts, apps, messages, phone logs, settings, etc.

Is this even feasible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

You can use Moto Migrate if it''s not on Android 6.x yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.migrate

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Syrinxx posted:

You can use Moto Migrate if it''s not on Android 6.x yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.migrate

I looked at that but it seems to want me to scan a QR code that didn't come with the phone from Ebay. Is there a workaround?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 16, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The QR code is displayed on your old device as you load the app on both.

If you screen is cracked and non-functional though, then that'll be a problem.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bull3964 posted:

The QR code is displayed on your old device as you load the app on both.

If you screen is cracked and non-functional though, then that'll be a problem.

Turns out someone thought of that, and let me choose to display the QR code on the new phone for the old one to scan. Clever!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

As the above poster says it works but can be quiet slow. I find I often have better luck getting it to work with wifi disabled because the cell network is usually a good deal faster to respond than the wifi I'm typically on.

Sweetbix. I almost always have my data going during the day regardless, I'll try it and see. Thanks!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So it's probably going to be Nutella then

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/739883312647282689

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/742958053138567168

Although it's currently this in the beta that just got released

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

My favorite part about working on android is that everyone in my entire management chain is a troll :v:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Wrong thread.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 16, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Although it's currently this in the beta that just got released

DO IT, GOOGLE

Everyone will just call it Android N, that sounds pretty cool. :v:

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Heyo, so as I posted some days ago, I lost my Moto X PE (with which i was pretty happy even though it was starting to have some SD reader problems) and I'm looking for something newer. I went to a store and held the 6P and god does it feel terrible in the hand. Do you guys use any case that helps its grip?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cable posted:

Heyo, so as I posted some days ago, I lost my Moto X PE (with which i was pretty happy even though it was starting to have some SD reader problems) and I'm looking for something newer. I went to a store and held the 6P and god does it feel terrible in the hand. Do you guys use any case that helps its grip?

I have this one: http://www.spigen.com/products/nexus-6p-case-rugged-armor. It's good.

I find most phones of that sort of size have these sorts of issues. The only one that didn't was my OnePlus One due to the 'sandstone' texture on the back. I still used a case with it though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Android No Name
or just
Android Name

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Android Nope

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It appears that in N beta 4, the quick settings are back to not being tap-to-toggle. Now it's tap to open a small settings dialog, hold for a slightly bigger settings dialog.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android Not Even Once

EDIT:

Sir Lemming posted:

It appears that in N beta 4, the quick settings are back to not being tap-to-toggle. Now it's tap to open a small settings dialog, hold for a slightly bigger settings dialog.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
It's almost like it's a work in progress or something. Very strange.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If I go over to the iPhone thread, will I find it full of people making GBS threads on iOS and recommending Android?

EDIT: You know what? I got confused as to what thread had what content and this was a stupid post. I'm going to leave it up as a monument to my own idiocy.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 16, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If I go over to the iPhone thread, will I find it full of people making GBS threads on iOS and recommending Android?

Probably not but you can certainly make it that way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Endless Mike posted:

It's almost like it's a work in progress or something. Very strange.

It was working perfectly in the previous betas so I'm just concerned that they actually prefer it this way for some bizarre reason.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Isn't it tap to toggle when you don't expand it fully, with just the 5 icons across the top?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Skarsnik posted:

Isn't it tap to toggle when you don't expand it fully, with just the 5 icons across the top?
Just tried on mine and nooooopppppeee. BT expands to a menu. Cell expands to cell data usage. Wifi expands to network selection. Humbug.

Anybody very mildly annoyed that you can't tell the data usage warning to ignore certain apps (play music in particular, which doesn't count t on T-Mobile).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

EDIT: You know what? I got confused as to what thread had what content and this was a stupid post. I'm going to leave it up as a monument to my own idiocy.

No worries. It is kinda interesting because from the talk in here, you'd expect no one to ever have a problem with an iOS device. But you go over to the iPhone or iPad thread and there are plenty of people with issues. They just tend to be different issues, and you always have the final, full-proof option of taking it to an Apple store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

No worries. It is kinda interesting because from the talk in here, you'd expect no one to ever have a problem with an iOS device. But you go over to the iPhone or iPad thread and there are plenty of people with issues. They just tend to be different issues, and you always have the final, full-proof option of taking it to an Apple store.

The word is "foolproof" as in "it's such a great thing that even a fool cannot mess it up".

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Android Nice Cream Sandwich

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The word is "foolproof" as in "it's such a great thing that even a fool cannot mess it up".

Oops. In my defense, I knew that, but changed it last minute on my phone from "final", which I didn't think gave enough credit

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 16, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
As mess ups go that wasn't bad. At least full-proof (full power booze) makes some sort of sense.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cable posted:

I have the Adopted 6P fuzzy case in black and like it a lot. If they offered the folio version like the do on for the 5x I might have tried that out too.

https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n6p

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just got a Samsung Galaxy, I'm really enjoying it so far, but when I try to connect it to my home Wifi, it keeps giving a 'Failed to Obtain IP address' error. It connects to other wifi networks fine, and my data is working fine. Ive tried rescanning for the networks, restarting everything, but no luck. ANy advice?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I just got a Samsung Galaxy, I'm really enjoying it so far, but when I try to connect it to my home Wifi, it keeps giving a 'Failed to Obtain IP address' error. It connects to other wifi networks fine, and my data is working fine. Ive tried rescanning for the networks, restarting everything, but no luck. ANy advice?
Whenever that happens to me with a new device it's cause I forgot I enabled a MAC whitelist on the router at some point in the past.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OldMemes posted:

You got a MAC filter in place?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Had to Google that - I'm not entirely sure, I didn't set up the router myself.

EDIT: I changed the IP to static using my IP address - now its say its connected to my network, but the Internet isn't working - I just get a @Connecting' error message.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 16, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I find my 6P to be too big even after having it a couple of weeks, but I'm resigned to that. But I just wanted to mention that this morning I realized my Nexus 7 is dead because I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.

Turns out that the screen size of the 6P is big enough that I don't feel the need to pull out the N7...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wrist Watch posted:

I lost my original response, going to imgur to upload this kicked the awful app out of memory, but yeah.

There's other weird poo poo too, like a dedicated num row above the keyboard but only on some fields for some reason, or how they added in being able to delete suggestions but took out swiping up to expand them.

baka kaba posted:

It's been really flaky for me, like sometimes starting a word from the top row or the left side just outright ignores the gesture or acts like I lifted my finger. Other times (like right now) it's completely fine and butter

I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the keyboard mode, like if the number row is present or not. Or maybe it's more sensitive to demanding apps slowing it down. Who knows, but when it's bad it's bad

Yeah, both of these things match my experience. I'd just go back to typing with my thumbs like a normal person but the habit is hard to break and earlier the phone replaced "lunch" with the word "Lindy."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
For the life of me I can't understand how Android Nougat was not the obvious choice.

Alright, let me make up for my previous dumb shitposting with a question. I've had a Moto X 2013 for as long as it's been released (previously had a Galaxy S2), and I've been really happy with it generally - enough so that when I realized it was time to look at replacing it, I was looking at something newer in the Moto line.

Now, I don't really do anything graphics- or processor-heavy, so I was looking at all the great reviews the "budget" Moto G4 phones are getting - specifically the G4 Plus. It's being called the "best budget phone of all time". So I'm interested, when it comes to the States.

But I find no real discussion of it anywhere, and any mention of it seems to take for granted that it's a bad buy because Motorola/Lenovo won't support it?

So what's the story here? Why is this apparently great midline phone a bad choice?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

OldMemes posted:

Had to Google that - I'm not entirely sure, I didn't set up the router myself.

EDIT: I changed the IP to static using my IP address - now its say its connected to my network, but the Internet isn't working - I just get a @Connecting' error message.
By this, do you mean you set the same static IP address on your phone that your computer has? Cause that won't work to have 2 devices with the same IP. If your computer IP address is something like xxx.xxx.xxx.001, try adding 10 to the last set of numbers for the address you use for your phone, ie xxx.xxx.xxx.011 (as long as the number you use is 255 or less)

Or maybe I totally misunderstood you

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 16, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

By this, do you mean you set the same static IP address on your phone that your computer has? Cause that won't work to have 2 devices with the same IP. If your computer IP address is something like xxx.xxx.xxx.001, try adding 10 to the last set of numbers for the address you use for your phone, ie xxx.xxx.xxx.011 (as long as the number you use is 255 or less)

Or maybe I totally misunderstood you

I tried that - it didn't work. And yeah, I'm kinda dumb with tech stuff, so I was trying to use the same ip address on two devices - I tried added 10 to the end.

Now our wifi isn't working on our computer downstairs, but it is working upstairs - I don't think it's related to me changing my phone's IP address though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I gave a rental Camry and a 2014 Moto X. For some loving reason, the car keeps sending a "play" command over bluetooth every so often to my phone, so BeyondPod starts playing, even if it isn't in the notifications. Is there some setting on my phone to make this madness stop? I've already skimmed through the car's settings and didn't see anything relevant.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

OldMemes posted:

I tried that - it didn't work. And yeah, I'm kinda dumb with tech stuff, so I was trying to use the same ip address on two devices - I tried added 10 to the end.

Now our wifi isn't working on our computer downstairs, but it is working upstairs - I don't think it's related to me changing my phone's IP address though.

If your phone has been manually given the IP of another device on your network that other device will not work. One of two things is going on, you've either got a MAC filter which is unlikely if you don't know what you're doing because then you'd never be able to add a new device to your network or more likely your router is failing to properly assign addresses via DHCP and you should get a new router.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

DO IT, GOOGLE

Everyone will just call it Android N, that sounds pretty cool. :v:

They should go whole hog and announce that it's the first version of the OS to require a 64-bit architecture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Reboot every device or factory reset the router or get a techie to come over.
Networking is magic, I took 6 months (ccna and networking) in college and messed with custom firmwares and router stuff for years and sometimes you just have to power cycle everything and then it will magically work.
Ask in home networking thread maybe too, routing is supposed to be automatic unless someone hosed with it, and you should only do that for legitimate reasons really.