Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kerrow posted:

The E 50, I enjoyed the whole panther line, but I just can't get it to work either. The gun is fantastic but the thing is just too big and the armor, beside angled front upper plate isnt THAT great.

I'm loving the Skoda T25 but can't imagine myself grinding through the mediocre tier 7 and 8. Same with Cromwell, fun fast tank that turns into slower one at higher tiers.

Is the obj.416/T-54 line fun?

Maybe I'm just bitching about everything, because in reality I hate this game, but I'm not willing to admit it.

Keep the E5, stick with the E50 because it's awesome as gently caress. The Panther 2 is poo poo in comparison. Snipe and/or ram in the E50, you can make it work if you try.

The T34/100 is indeed mediocre but not unplayable. It's probably worth getting to the tier 9 & 10 one way or the other.

The 416 is amazing, and so is the T-54, and it's odd that you have to ask about these tanks. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Salean posted:

please dont make bad decisions in the internet tank game

If he is still playing the Internet tank game we can safely say he has already made some bad decisions.

Also I haven't played tanks since TWW came out and it feels strangely good. Like an recovering alcoholic before the relapse.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tite-Dent posted:

Please upload it, I can't play tanks without your modpack!

:siren:Link to post with link to modpack for 9.15.01!:siren:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cardiac posted:

If he is still playing the Internet tank game we can safely say he has already made some bad decisions.

Also I haven't played tanks since TWW came out and it feels strangely good. Like an recovering alcoholic before the relapse.

I just played through Metro 2033. I had a lot more fun than playing Tanks!

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Refried Noodle posted:

How many games have you played? Map knowledge and situational awareness takes time in this game.

What helped me was taking some time to watch streamers, and trying to figure out what they do when and why. I enjoy SirFoch and To some extent Circon, but YMMV.

yeah this. I learned a lot about where to go on maps watching a couple of streams on twitch. Also the same guys along with Orzanel, dude's amazing.
https://www.twitch.tv/orzanel/profile

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

yeah this. I learned a lot about where to go on maps watching a couple of streams on twitch. Also the same guys along with Orzanel, dude's amazing.
https://www.twitch.tv/orzanel/profile

I clicked his last broadcast and clicked to a random time, and saw him bounce a T29 engine deck. I still don't want to play tanks, but his reaction is pretty much the truth.

also his team had two tier 7s west, two tier 7s east, and the rest suiciding 6 line or camping base, which is just absurd and yeah gently caress this goddamn game and gently caress the playerbase more

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I clicked his last broadcast and clicked to a random time, and saw him bounce a T29 engine deck. I still don't want to play tanks, but his reaction is pretty much the truth.

also his team had two tier 7s west, two tier 7s east, and the rest suiciding 6 line or camping base, which is just absurd and yeah gently caress this goddamn game and gently caress the playerbase more

Orzanel is like SirFoch except a bit less salty.
There is still plenty of salt but not as much. It's a relaxing stream.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Hellsau posted:

I've seen him win 5 v 1 in a tier 7 vs tier 8's and he probably does it all the time. Think his claim to fame is having more tanks with 3 gun marks than anyone on EU.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Fat Jesus posted:

I've seen him win 5 v 1 in a tier 7 vs tier 8's and he probably does it all the time. Think his claim to fame is having more tanks with 3 gun marks than anyone on EU.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Soccer tanks is the best thing ever. I just won 15 games in a row.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Mutz seems very strong when I'm in it and when I'm up against it. I'm typically a tomato scrub but even I have managed to put up respectable numbers in it.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The more I look at things, the more Sandbox seems like an elaborate joke by the devs.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Infected posted:

The more I look at things, the more Sandbox seems like an elaborate joke by the devs.

You are a heavy tank and will behave like one!

I also saw the Charioteer there has a 8 deg/sec turret traverse, because that line needs to be uniformly awful, I suppose.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure that those sandbox stats are their attempts at giving light tanks a purpose.

Edit: It also looks like they are making armour great again.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 16, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i really like the across-the-board alpha reduction and the HT turret traverse reduction has a lot of potential

also lol 12°/s track traverse on the rhm-b

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prav posted:

i really like the across-the-board alpha reduction and the HT turret traverse reduction has a lot of potential

also lol 12°/s track traverse on the rhm-b

'Sup balance buddy?

I agree that the sandbox changes are probably a step in the right direction i.e. away from TDs and heavy tanks being able to lock down entire map quadrants.

It looks like they're trying to give specific roles for each class, which is a good thing.
Lights - Spotting, flank harassment
Mediums - Flanking, DPM
Heavies - Armour, alpha
TDs - Alpha, DPM
Arty - ???

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

looks like they're trying that whole guaranteed but low damage idea for the SPGs. i don't expect it to work out any better really, but it sure has been a popular suggestion.

on the plus side they're practically removing SPG HE pens (23 avg pen on the T92), which should have been done a long, long time ago.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'm not part of the test(clearly another WG conspiracy) but as I've understood it the changes means WG are trying to move further into the 'heavies slugging it out in corridor lanes'-meta. Slower mediums, greater pen falloff and further increased shot dispersion means it might be even harder to stop a heavy push as a sniping medium for example. Keep posting though, the changes are interesting if bizarre at times.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
First sandbox iteration is up (I didn't get in, boooo) and with a whole bunch of new info of their plans and poo poo.

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/46/sandbox-server-global-rebalance/

quote:

SPG rebalancing

On the Sandbox, the role of SPGs will be changed from damage dealers to support vehicles. In addition, SPGs will receive some new features:

- Explosive blast – A new feature for SPGs. Explosive blast occurs together with splash effects after the shell explosion. The tanks that are in the radius of this explosive blast temporary have their characteristics worsened. The damage caused to the battered tanks is counted as damaged caused with your help.
- Allied SPGs target area marking: displaying approximate areas allied SPGs are aimed at. If the SPG is not aiming at any particular vehicle, pressing the Requesting fire/ Attacking button (the T button by default) will display the special marker. Otherwise, the standard notification of attacking an enemy vehicle is displayed. The marker will be displayed in the corresponding area on the minimap and in 3D view. Besides, the notification of the SPG status (loading/ready to fire) is displayed. This feature should help players to coordinate actions.
- Alternative aiming for SPGs. A new aim mode changes the aiming display for SPGs and makes aiming more convenient for players, which is similar to sniper mode.

Changes will be made to HE shells as well: the amount of damage caused with this type of shell will be decreased in most cases, but the dispersal of HE shell fragments (the radius of splash) will be increased. In short, SPGs will be dealing less damage to single targets, but their attacks will have a better chance of affecting multiple targets at once.

That actually sounds.... kinda sensible? What is this sorcery? :staredog:

Obviously they're still in the "throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks" phase, but it's gonna be really drat interesting to see what will come of this.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

quote:

- Allied SPGs target area marking: displaying approximate areas allied SPGs are aimed at. If the SPG is not aiming at any particular vehicle, pressing the Requesting fire/ Attacking button (the T button by default) will display the special marker. Otherwise, the standard notification of attacking an enemy vehicle is displayed. The marker will be displayed in the corresponding area on the minimap and in 3D view. Besides, the notification of the SPG status (loading/ready to fire) is displayed. This feature should help players to coordinate actions.

oh that's lovely

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

8.6 is back baby

let's post this one too for good measure

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:stare: THOSE ACCURACY CHANGES. :wtc:

Edit: They should just make pen drop more with distance.

Also this:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 16, 2016

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Yup, Sandbox matches are finally the realization of the stupid russian pubbie dream of close-range brawling on lovely maps.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The increased pen drop over distance sounds good, but I am not thrilled about that accuracy thing. Not thrilled at all.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like them defining the class roles into more things, hopefully it will help not lead to games where one team gets 3 E-100's as their tiers X and the other one gets a M48, AMX 50B, and a some tier X russian medium since there are 100 of those.

Also the shell distribution going back to an even distribution is okay I guess I dunno, as long as there is not random toss your shell outside of that even distribution because magic.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Nordick posted:

The increased pen drop over distance sounds good, but I am not thrilled about that accuracy thing. Not thrilled at all.

This is literally just bait to get people into buying and shooting a poo poo ton of HEAT ammo.

BadLlama posted:

I like them defining the class roles into more things, hopefully it will help not lead to games where one team gets 3 E-100's as their tiers X and the other one gets a M48, AMX 50B, and a some tier X russian medium since there are 100 of those.

The russian T10 meds where largely left untouched(of course) and as such are still OP as gently caress(of course).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Infected posted:

Yup, Sandbox matches are finally the realization of the stupid russian pubbie dream of close-range brawling on lovely maps.

Yeah, this whole exercise is pretty pointless if they don't make maps where flanking is a possible option.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Remove artillery from sandbox and see how that works, tia.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp downloading the sandbox now let's see how #snapshotmeta it will be.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This reminds me of the combat rebalance debacle of Star Wars Galaxies. Be careful what you wish for.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't think this is going to end with the game switching genres

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Im pretty sure the cruiser description of "ineffective in long range fire" and using the E50M as the example is wrong. Since thats exactly what that tank excels at.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Welp downloading the sandbox now let's see how #snapshotmeta it will be.

How do you know if you got in? Also, how many dicks did you have to suck in order to get in? Asking for a friend...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sandbox trip report:

1) Ignore the earlier sandbox stats, they were basically junk as advertised. Tier 10 Russian meds don't have 4000 dpm, they're at 2800. 300 alpha and 255/290 pen as well.

2) The Batchat is hosed though. sub 50 kmph on pavement, poor mobility that feels like the current E5, horrendous gun (4 shells, 340 alpha, 40s reload) and holy gently caress does that pen dropoff on the apcr hurt. I couldn't pen unangled Obj 140 hulls at 200 meters. I did bounce a shot from the 140 and a shot from a 121 though so hey at least the Batchat has armor now right guys?

3) The E100 seems broken as gently caress. Saw an E100 just walk into my team's 50B. The 50B has 270 AP pen and 325 APCR pen, and none of this pubbie's shells penned. Oh by the way gold ammo is expensive as gently caress (12 gold per shell or more) and only buyable with gold, and you only get 500 gold. That's rough. Siegfried Line does not function as a map with unkillable superheavies walking through it. Played the E100 on Steppes, just walked into the enemy and took no damage except for 400 damage from an E3. #snapshotmeta still works for the E100 if you can pen.

4) No gold HE on the CGC. 41 seconds to reload. Did 300 to a STB on a splash, direct and killed an E3 for 481 on the front upper plate. Battle Assistant is built into the game with middle click switching to it. It turns and aims MUCH faster. Splashed right next to a Cent AX for 110. HOLDING ALT LETS YOU FOLLOW THE SHELL! There's some sort of concussion effect - I thought I was drowning, didn't lose any HP, guess an arti tried to CB? Direct hit blind on a CGC and did 220 with a 1200 damage shell, which is dumb. Didn't even damage the gun if that's what happened.

5) The T54 Light has 175 pen, the RU 251 has 190, so not playing those against all tier 10s. Played the T49 to try to see how scouting with 430 base view range will work, got Ensk. TVP still broke as gently caress, took 600 in 1 seconds and did 300 to its side. The T49 accelerates really slowly - I would get up to like 40kmph on pavement, then slowly pick up speed. I eventually got up to 53kmph after about 6 seconds and then had to turn....and it turns like a boat. Welp. Lights are still basically worthless in random matches.

6) Loaded up the TVP. It's the same tank with 300 alpha and worse pen. Clipped out a batchat. Got clipped out by a suicide scouting TVP that died after dealing 1200 damage to my 1600 hp tank. Nice work not nerfing the most overpowered tank I guess wargaming.

And now I'm out of credits because you start with only 5 mil and no equipment or consumables. No screenshots due to watermarks everywhere. For a first pass, this gets an outright failing grade. There was no thought put into this, it was just "change a bunch of stuff and see how it works", they nerf the Batchat into the ground and leave the TVP as outrageously good? Make gold ammo effectively nonexistent, and then nerf AP pen, while leaving the superheavies that were already basically immortal to AP and only balanced by gold rounds the same? Come on now.

Hopefully they'll listen to the complaints. Especially on the mobility front. Also accuracy fully aimed is worse, but why the gently caress is #snapshotmeta still a thing? Get your poo poo together Wargaming.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So what you're saying is that Armored Warfare devs may get gifted a second chance via disenchanted WoT players if this goes live.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHlNgJCKpl8

physics!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So what you're saying is that Armored Warfare devs may get gifted a second chance via disenchanted WoT players if this goes live.

The game's currently in a totally unplayable state so I don't think it'll go live as is. The game as it stands, with only tier 10 changes, is totally nonfunctional - it's all unkillable superheavies and TVPs. Hopefully they'll be doing daily iterations, otherwise the metagame is going to get really weird really fast.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Representing, how to get onto the Westfield bridge in a Tiger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xygq_VFKOeA

:v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Valle posted:

Representing, how to get onto the Westfield bridge in a Tiger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xygq_VFKOeA

:v:

after playing a lot of Metro 2033 I expected that bridge to start crumbling midway, or a demon to come and grab you

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The game's currently in a totally unplayable state so I don't think it'll go live as is. The game as it stands, with only tier 10 changes, is totally nonfunctional - it's all unkillable superheavies and TVPs. Hopefully they'll be doing daily iterations, otherwise the metagame is going to get really weird really fast.

i think they said weekly builds. sounds like they overshot the pen nerfs a little, but starting by going too far is the right philosophy for this stuff i think.

poo poo the E-100 is pretty broken on live too if you take away everyone's gold shells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

i think they said weekly builds. sounds like they overshot the pen nerfs a little, but starting by going too far is the right philosophy for this stuff i think.

poo poo the E-100 is pretty broken on live too if you take away everyone's gold shells

Weekly builds seems slow for starting out. This is going to take many, MANY versions to get right for all the different tiers. If everything goes perfectly, if they perfectly balance everything, it's going to take 11 iterations to balance everything tier by tier. That's not going to happen - they already have shown that they're just throwing everything at a wall and hoping for the best. This isn't going to work without going through 30 or 40 versions.

this isn't going to work at all is it