Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

Personally i never use gendered slurs of any sort.

gendered slurs are an outdated concept and we should be free to insult everyone however we like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
oval office

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Oberleutnant posted:

i believe that it's perfectly possible to communicate without resorting to crude language so i basically never swear or use a negative tone. I try to be positive and constructive at all times.

You're a good man worthy of respect but I really wanted some sick swears.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
well tasty

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oberleutnant posted:

i believe that it's perfectly possible to communicate without resorting to crude language so i basically never swear or use a negative tone. I try to be positive and constructive at all times.

This is a noble and refreshing view and I applaud it.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Maoist Pussy posted:

Oh, come on. Is this about history or about the principle of union versus dissolution? Because, if it was about history, we would have never allowed Germany to reunite.

The british were opressing the irish to the point of stationing troops, which regularly committed what would undoubtedly be refered to as war crimes, and had a history of violently slaughtering Irish catholics, which lead to the Irish basically wanting independence from that, shock horror, a very simplified version of history but that's pretty much the reason they wanted to get out and rightfully so.

With that explained, can you please explain to me how this is in anyway similar or even comparable to Britain and Brexit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not Operator posted:

You're a good man worthy of respect but I really wanted some sick swears.

he wasn't being serious

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I can't go to the shop without stopping to hide from patrolling EU constabularies and their fanatically europhile paramilitaries.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

The british were opressing the irish to the point of stationing troops, which regularly committed what would undoubtedly be refered to as war crimes, and had a history of violently slaughtering Irish catholics, which lead to the Irish basically wanting independence from that, shock horror, a very simplified version of history but that's pretty much the reason they wanted to get out and rightfully so.

With that explained, can you please explain to me how this is in anyway similar or even comparable to Britain and Brexit?

brussels says we cant have bendy bananas anymore and homosexual education in schools is mandatory now which is basically the same thing as what happened to ireland if you think about it

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Oberleutnant posted:

I only hope one day when I'm older and more world-weary in life I can develop the patience to have that. You're a nice chap. :)

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Jose posted:

he wasn't being serious

Thanks for clarifying. I myself was being 100% sincere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not Operator posted:

Thanks for clarifying. I myself was being 100% sincere.

its hard to tell in this thread and i don't recognise you

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Jose posted:

its hard to tell in this thread and i don't recognise you

I don't post much, or anything important ever so its cool.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I can't go to the shop without stopping to hide from patrolling EU constabularies and their fanatically europhile paramilitaries.

You could just put on a perfect French accent, a string of onions and a stripy jumper and cycle to safety.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
if we all just get around a table together i'm sure we can all sort out our differences. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, or miscellaneous. It doesn't even matter if you're a nazi, a communist, or a captain of industry - at the end of the day we all love a cuppa lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

if we all just get around a table together i'm sure we can all sort out our differences. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, or miscellaneous. It doesn't even matter if you're a nazi, a communist, or a captain of industry - at the end of the day we all love a cuppa lol

igtr

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Pissflaps posted:

You could just put on a perfect French accent, a string of onions and a stripy jumper and mince to safety.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Oberleutnant posted:

Yes that sounds all well and good but then someone goes and puts the milk in first and that's how wars start. Sorry I just can't share your optimism.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I knew I was stealing it from somewhere but didn't remember it being the Simpsons.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yes that sounds all well and good but then someone goes and puts the milk in first and that's how wars start. Sorry I just can't share your optimism.

Haha! That's a good joke you made there about putting milk in tea or coffee, as if anybody would be such a silly billy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

I knew I was stealing it from somewhere but didn't remember it being the Simpsons.

frinkiac has not been good for my productivity at work

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

FinalGamer posted:

You first reply to a post about Americans grossly misusing this woman's death as a counterpoint to gun control, and then basically you saying "egh well I mean Europeans and Brits talk poo poo in the US gun control threads i mean SHRUG that's to be expected right what's your problem"

You don't wade into an argument, announce your loving shrug and then leave feeling like some kind of schoolteacher telling the kids off. If any non-US posters do it in US threads, then yes they are cunts for doing so. But that doesn't make you anymore justified for coming in and doing the same thing regardless of your tone. So please, gently caress off and take your own smugness with you cuz if that wasn't your intention, then poo poo man you hosed up.

And YOU are a loving idiot for tarring different issues with the same brush just because "oh it's all about countries splitting apart right I mean whussat about?!". Ireland/UK is about history, the UK/EU is about union versus dissolution. You do not loving compare Ireland's enormously difficult history with Britain over the last 800 years to the EU which has only been around for 60 loving years. One is a convoluted mess of historical, political and religious disagreements through persecution, oppression and outright slaughter. The other is socioeconomical and political in nature with a little racially-charged action festering underneath.

Read a Simple English wiki before you even ask such a question.

Britain has had a bit of difficult history with the Continent, though. Caesar, the Armada, Napoleon, that mustachioed fellow. I don't see why letting history go is good for the goose but not for the gander.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CPGB-ML (Milk Lovers)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Maoist Pussy posted:

Britain has had a bit of difficult history with the Continent, though. Caesar, the Armada, Napoleon, that mustachioed fellow. I don't see why letting history go is good for the goose but not for the gander.

You are not as well-informed on this topic as you think you are

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Please do not reply to Maoist Pussy he is a Tea Party Republican who gimmick posts as a fake leftist to concern troll.

it is really weak style and you should ignore him

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Well, if this isn't the shittest Jo Cox hot-take:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Please do not reply to Maoist Pussy he is a Tea Party Republican who gimmick posts as a fake leftist to concern troll.

it is really weak style and you should ignore him

They exist outside of GBS? I thought all right wingers of SA had ran off site or stayed in GBS to post dog whistle racism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OwlFancier posted:

Well otherwise as long as we can keep the French out who are responsible for France's approach to cultural integration then yeah sure French people can come over.

You can enjoy our damp countryside and, erm, start a bunch of boulengeries for people to hang out in when they come on holiday.

I'm trying to think of what the equivalent of British people on holiday in the south of France in British themed pubs would be and I'm having a lot of trouble.

don't have bistrots in Angleterre?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oberleutnant posted:

Haha! That's a good joke you made there about putting milk in tea or coffee, as if anybody would be such a silly billy.

I know we are now speaking in the spirit of unity and solidarity but if you drink tea without milk, not only are you an abhorrent individual, but your continued existence in this plane of existence is an insult to myself, and other right-thinking individuals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

don't have bistrots in Angleterre?

You mean a greasy spoon that does more than one type of coffee?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TinTower posted:

Well, if this isn't the shittest Jo Cox hot-take:

That's a sarcastic retort isn't it? Or maybe she's dumb I don't know my brain's fried.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

That's a sarcastic retort isn't it? Or maybe she's dumb I don't know my brain's fried.

She's defending herself on the he might be mentally ill grounds.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OwlFancier posted:

You mean a greasy spoon that does more than one type of coffee?

savage.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So all the newspapers are saying something different. Was the murderer a wacko Leave fanatic, or not?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Best to wait till police have questioned him before deciding if he was a neonazi foreign hater hellbent on destruction of anyone who enables immigration or another sad statistic in the dismantling of the social safety net that used to make this country a great place to live.

Honestly though, either way, this country is orbiting the shitter. The fact this could even happen means that this country has fallen so far and so fast that I'm amazed we've not noticed the ground yet and realise how close we are to ending up like russia.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know we are now speaking in the spirit of unity and solidarity but if you drink tea without milk, not only are you an abhorrent individual, but your continued existence in this plane of existence is an insult to myself, and other right-thinking individuals.

Black coffee is the Correct beverage. Tea fetishism is the vice of the bourgeoisie, couched as it is in imperialist nostalgism.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Tesseraction posted:

Maoist Pussy he is a Tea Party Republican

Jesus Christ, no. What the hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

i don't drink tea

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I am a twee anglophile, but I drink my tea with lemon and sugar because I am an American. I don't think Republicans drink tea unless they are grandmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Black coffee is the Correct beverage. Tea fetishism is the vice of the bourgeoisie, couched as it is in imperialist nostalgism.

Coffee is also heavily tied to colonialism

The only correct drink is bovril

• Locked thread