Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Richie Stardust posted:

That S2 engine is pretty sweet though. A lot of people don't know it, but the S2 uses a really neat cooling system that utilizes the fluid properties of ambient air to cool the engine. This frees up the mount for the stone-age cooler of the S "old man" 1 and allows for Ammo Can 2. I think as players start to see more and more NPCs cruising with S2s it will catch on. The NPCs will have a pretty ground breaking AI, but when the creative minds of individual Citizens start benchmarking the new S2 engines we will all be pretty astonished IMHO.

What do you think, homies? Think I got the chops for mini-truth Reddit?

Not bad.

You need more non-existing components though. Talk about how it would be cool to overclock the S2 engine in your hanger. Adding more heatsinks, overhauling the engine on your work bench and finally setting the souped up engine in your ride. Granted, you know the engine won't last as a long, but you'll have an advantage in future motorcross events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Backers literally think that Star Citizen npcs are going to walk around the world freely, call down their ships, live their space lives, travel home to distance galaxies, based on the latest ATV AI clips of a guy using a wrench animation in the corner on a space plant.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you watch the AI flyby closely you'll see an NPC in the foreground snap into a different position. Also, a woman grabbing her stomach and a man next to her covering his nose. It's a parp.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

redwalrus posted:

Backers literally think that Star Citizen npcs are going to walk around the world freely, call down their ships, live their space lives, travel home to distance galaxies, based on the latest ATV AI clips of a guy using a wrench animation in the corner on a space plant.

Somehow I get the impression that the remaining backers just might have an unrealistic view of what Star Citizen is going to be.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

redwalrus posted:

I can't stand to watch the tomorrow tour, was there a bouncer NPC and a guy sweeping a broom in it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:ironikayak:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fat Shat Sings posted:

To be honest I can no longer keep track of all the fake things they are selling. After the point of ridiculousness (100+ ships that don't exist) I start losing track.

After awhile it boils down to things like

-poo poo cig sells-

Much less the prices of each. I don't even remember a snub fighter at this point.

Heh yeah I didn't really mean you in particular, I've been seeing citizens saying this left and right though, and this is the one part of the game the spergs usually do have a grip on.

The tiny ship for $20 with lti was the first and only time CIG didn't *ridiculously overprice price something, and this new horrendous space mower sperg mobile is almost double the cost and looks lame as gently caress.

*still overpriced, just not ridiculously so

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

I can't stand to watch the tomorrow tour, was there a bouncer NPC and a guy sweeping a broom in it?
Most of the NPC lineup were there in the tour.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

back in my days gamers were outraged over 1.5$ horse armor

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Maw posted:

Aha wait so in theory if this game was made you could crash whatever the cheapest ship was into some guys hundreds of dollars worth of ship and it'd be gone forever? I changed my mind this game is the best

Oh yeah, it was a huge deal. Ships without LTI could be permanently lost if the sperg forgot to keep up his insurance policy. At first they billed it like it was gonna be a big deal, so suckers bought in early to get LTI on all their jpegs. Then they stopped selling ships with LTI and backers revolted - nobody bought new ships for a while because they knew that if they did and they forgot to pay their loving ship bill, I'd come along and slam into them with my stupid $75 shitheap and ruin their "investment".

So CIG started walking it back - talking about how insurance would be super cheap and you'd buy it in like six month increments and there'd be huge warnings if you tried to leave port without it, etc. etc. Then when that didn't work they started offering LTI on the first sale for every concept so if you wanted LTI on your Giant Stupid Mining Ship you just had to make sure you bought it right at the beginning. Then people bitched about that so they made cross-chassis upgrades universal so now you can upgrade from anything to anything which means that if you have an expensive Autism Chariot without LTI on it it's because you're a TRIPLE IDIOT - Once for backing Star Citizen, Twice for buying an $800 spaceship, and Three times for not melting it, getting a loving riding lawnmower, and upgrading it.

gently caress that got me salty. Well that and a stupid Discovery Channel thing.

Have a video of my dog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HazZFSTd9M

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

if we are irrelevant then what are these guys?

Help me understand

This is both funny and sad

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Heh yeah I didn't really mean you in particular, I've been seeing citizens saying this left and right though, and this is the one part of the game the spergs usually do have a grip on.

The tiny ship for $20 with lti was the first and only time CIG didn't *ridiculously overprice price something, and this new horrendous space mower sperg mobile is almost double the cost and looks lame as gently caress.

*still overpriced, just not ridiculously so

The perspective we have to have when talking about this is great. Because technically anything more than 0$ is overpriced for this game.

But then you have to consider there are $500-$900 ships with mechanics that haven't even been explained, with $100+ modules for mechanics that haven't even been thought about. (A particle collider for the Space Science Cruiser!!!) so at some point a $35 space motorcycle or a $20 buggy looks downright reasonable by comparison.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh yeah, it was a huge deal. Ships without LTI could be permanently lost if the sperg forgot to keep up his insurance policy. At first they billed it like it was gonna be a big deal, so suckers bought in early to get LTI on all their jpegs. Then they stopped selling ships with LTI and backers revolted - nobody bought new ships for a while because they knew that if they did and they forgot to pay their loving ship bill, I'd come along and slam into them with my stupid $75 shitheap and ruin their "investment".

So CIG started walking it back - talking about how insurance would be super cheap and you'd buy it in like six month increments and there'd be huge warnings if you tried to leave port without it, etc. etc. Then when that didn't work they started offering LTI on the first sale for every concept so if you wanted LTI on your Giant Stupid Mining Ship you just had to make sure you bought it right at the beginning. Then people bitched about that so they made cross-chassis upgrades universal so now you can upgrade from anything to anything which means that if you have an expensive Autism Chariot without LTI on it it's because you're a TRIPLE IDIOT - Once for backing Star Citizen, Twice for buying an $800 spaceship, and Three times for not melting it, getting a loving riding lawnmower, and upgrading it.

gently caress that got me salty. Well that and a stupid Discovery Channel thing.

Have a video of my dog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HazZFSTd9M

I've searched and searched, but can't find the Lesnick post where he says "LTI isn't a big deal" when they went to selling new concepts with LTI.

Did like this one though:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Drake Dragonfly:
Occupying somewhere in the pantheon between a snub fighter and an Aurora, the Dragonfly is a speedy, maneuverable ultralight designed to be cheaply constructed in large numbers and to be readily customized by hobbyists
:viggo:

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

notoriousman posted:

It's Twitch, desperate pandering to the point of bribing your viewers comes with the territory.

also I guess this is a thing :geno::

Scooty Puff Jr. suuuuuuuuucks!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've searched and searched, but can't find the Lesnick post where he says "LTI isn't a big deal" when they went to selling new concepts with LTI.

Did like this one though:

I don't have the heart to go looking for it, but I remember that thread. The wailing was loving biblical.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
So AI subsumption "hopefully by the end of the year". Is this CIGs way of finally saying no SQ42 this year? The dev even said "itll feed into sq42"

also no PG in 2.5

SurfaceDetail fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 16, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

So they can't just buy this ship and melt and stick the insurance on a ship they already have in their hangar, they have to buy a new ship with the store credit from this one?

They can't melt the LTI ship, there used to be a really complicated upgrade system, you'd buy the right upgrade from space boatA to space BoatC but now I think it just asks you for money and does it for you.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Richie Stardust posted:

That S2 engine is pretty sweet though. A lot of people don't know it, but the S2 uses a really neat cooling system that utilizes the fluid properties of ambient air to cool the engine. This frees up the mount for the stone-age cooler of the S "old man" 1 and allows for Ammo Can 2. I think as players start to see more and more NPCs cruising with S2s it will catch on. The NPCs will have a pretty ground breaking AI, but when the creative minds of individual Citizens start benchmarking the new S2 engines we will all be pretty astonished IMHO.

What do you think, homies? Think I got the chops for mini-truth Reddit?

S² engines are clearly extracted from the hearts of angels and grant unlimited power. Quite what one's doing in a ScootyPuff's Drunken Cousin, I don't know.

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

Paramemetic posted:

This is in accordance with my own theory. I'm not a gamedev, but let's take a trip down memory lane to another wonderful game developer, Piranha Games, and their lovely title, Mechwarrior Online.

See, Mechwarrior Online also uses CryEngine, sparing no expense to have made it able to handle 24 players at a time but no more than that on a map. In MWO, you pilot a bigass mech. But in early version of the game, even after the Beta "ended," there were serious problems about how the crosshairs worked.

When Star Citizen released their FPS elements, they also had serious problems with multiple crosshairs, or inaccurate crosshairs, or crosshairs that were waaaaay off the mark. This got me thinking about one of the problems faced by :pgi: with MWO: the engine limitations for map sizes and specifically for map height.

In CryEngine, there is no maximum map height as its own metric. Anything about about 4012x4012 units (standard "unit" is 2m) becomes unrunnable and is not recommended in CryEngine's own documentation. Map height is controlled by the terrain height settings, which give another 255 units to work with, and the skybox sits just above the terrain height max. The problem is that over a terrain height of about 50 units, rendering shits itself.

So what do you do if you want to make things seem big as hell without breaking your rendering above certain heights? You fudge with the unit size. By making everything super small, and adjusting the unit sizes accordingly, you can do what MWO did, which made 90' tall robots a mere 6' tall in relative engine unit size. The problem? The original crosshairs had been tied to the player viewpoint, but the player was now super goddamn small relative to the giant mech - so small, in fact, that the crosshairs couldn't track so finely and became unworkable. They fixed this by fixing the crosshairs relative to the cockpit - the player model in which you sit is just a point of view reference, but you are your mech.

Now, here's what set off my "oh god, no, don't do that Chris no don't aaaaagh" sensors, which I called out at the time as well:

One million km square and 200,000 height!? Sounds like they have found a way to get past the 4096x4096 unit size, right? Oh god, what it they just shrank everything down by 250x?????? 2m tall man becomes a 0.0008m tall man! No problem!

And then the engine shits itself because it can't handle that level of precision. And then you get collision errors because the engine is built for a unit size of 2m and you're running around with dudes that are 0.0008m tall. The maximum size of a CryEngine "world" is 64 maps of 4096 x 4096 x 255 (8024m x 8024m x 500m) and the Cryengine documentation itself says that anything bigger than that is completely unworkable.

But they have the crack CryEngine dudes there!

Okay? And that means they have a staff comprised of the very guys who wrote the documentation saying "there's no way around this it's a rendering nightmare to try." So they end up using a PGI solution.

But instead of a maximum of 24 players trying to track a scaling of a mere 3rd or 6th of the normal size, you have an attempt at even more players trying to track the location of objects that are 1/250th of their original size.

The result?

Star Citizen.

To be clear, this is speculation from an industry outsider who is only vaguely aware of mechanics and limitations, but not the reasons why, due to previous experience heckling poorly though out decisions involving CryEngine and the research resultant from that. While I don't know anything about game development, I also didn't make a product as bad as Star Citizen, so I mean, that would definitely be on my game dev resume.

Paramemetic:
Languages:
Python, some Javascript, Tibetan
Projects:
FrogBear, GoatCore (Project Manager)
Achievements:
Did not make Star Citizen

Edit: corrected some numbers

This is amazing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Most of the NPC lineup were there in the tour.

Ah ok, nice to see all those animations are still in the 2.4 pak files wasting space and bandwidth one download at a time.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

If you watch the AI flyby closely you'll see an NPC in the foreground snap into a different position. Also, a woman grabbing her stomach and a man next to her covering his nose. It's a parp.

What. Don't be making this up.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:ironikayak:

:kayak::kayak::kayak:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thoatse posted:

Photoshop request: The new space mower changed to John Deere green with logo and the 'Nothing Flies Like A Deere' slogan. TIA

Rush job.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Thoatse posted:

Photoshop request: The new space mower changed to John Deere green with logo and the 'Nothing Flies Like A Deere' slogan. TIA

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dante80 posted:

Oh, now I understand it all.

Why do they keep advertising flying modes? So far every concept made with that stupid idea ends up just having a landing and flying mode because cryengine is poo poo and can't do flying modes.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

flyboi posted:

Why do they keep advertising flying modes? So far every concept made with that stupid idea ends up just having a landing and flying mode because cryengine is poo poo and can't do flying modes.

Got to keep the dream alive.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nice job on the mowers. They just need a couple cup holders for beer cans.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Rhubarb94 posted:

If you ever want to retire a gazillionaire on your own private island you should crowdfund cloning his rear end.

Just the rear end.
In a jar.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully someone can find that infamous Lesnick post that describes this.

There have been a lot.

Future Concept Sale Plans

quote:

Lifetime Insurance – one of the most common demands of CS is that we offer newly announced ships with cross-chassis upgrades to preserve LTI. While we maintain that Lifetime Insurance is a slight convenience and not a game changer, we know it’s something a lot of backers want. We feel comfortable including it during concept sales of ships which have never been available before (and do not intend to make it available again for existing ships or variants.) We will however, be adding LTI retroactively to the Gladius and Xi’An Scout if they were purchased during their respective concept sales.

"We feel comfortable including it (LTI) during concept sales of ships" is CIG language for sales were really poor without it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3390918/#Comment_3390918

quote:

:lesnick: Maybe it's worth saying: the point of the Comm-Link was to tell you how and why we're changing things, specifically to avoid coming across like we're surprising and betraying anyone. Things WILL change, in all sorts of ways. Stats we announced early on don't balance correctly, game modes can have more players, we'll add planets and systems and mechanics that weren't in the original pitch. We'll discover that CryEngine can't render something properly and we'll change how it works. We'll discover that cargo can't physically fit in a ship and we'll change it. And where programming, art, design, production have the freedom to change their plans for the better of the game, so too does marketing.

Is that a lie? Yes, absolutely... but only in an extremely technical sense that holds everyone to an impossible, inhuman standard. The game has changed in a way we hadn't planned two years ago (more ships, people demanding LTI!) and we've changed the plan for sales to adapt to that. It just feels like a heavy stretch between not knowing the future and being horrible liars out to offend our supporters :)

More to the point: never changing plans wouldn't make me proud of this company. Similarly, always changing our plans wouldn't, either. What makes me proud of the company and the process is that we'll come out and tell you when a change is happening and why we've made our choices. Maybe that's a subtle difference, but I truly believe it's what continues to separate us from our competitors.

Expecting the guys who conned you into spending money on "buy now or miss out forever" items to tell the truth is holding them to "an impossible, inhuman standard".

Money, it's always about money. I may sound pissed off in this post but really far from it, the deception has been going on for so long I just find it funny that there are still people out there that believe anything they say.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

seriously...?! :confused:

looks like :barf:

It makes me think of this thing from Firefly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Damnit you people are too fast

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

They can't melt the LTI ship, there used to be a really complicated upgrade system, you'd buy the right upgrade from space boatA to space BoatC but now I think it just asks you for money and does it for you.

:4k psyduck:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

Oh...now I understand.

Ammobox 01... of 2.
Padding is important, yo.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:five:

e: Thanks Tippis

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

Oh, now I understand it all.

I love how no one wanted to sign that poo poo.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Around the Verse: The "What the hell is wrong?" Edition

I have watched a great many episodes of this show - dutifully, more often than not.

Something appears to be seriously wrong in LA. There is a palpable nervousness as opposed to the usual awkwardness.

Not joking.

---

On a happier note, female models are finally coming!

Looks like they have a ways to go to catch up with Second Life but baby steps...

"subsumtion"
*twitch*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

orcinus posted:

Probably the people that could have either left or have been fired.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

orcinus posted:

I like how it's Unfinished Concept Art. Unfinished. Concept. Art.

On sale 6/17/2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sitting on an unshielded ammo box is the dream of every pilot.

• Locked thread