Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so i finally want to get 1Password but they don't have a loonix client apparently? they have instructions for running it on wine but lol no

are my options basically "get hosed" and/or "use keepass instead?" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I've been running it under wine for years it works fine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

I've been running it under wine for years it works fine

really, integrations and everything? because i already have a dinky password manager that puts stuff in the clipboard that i can paste into boxes, I'd like one that can actually detect what website i'm on and shove things in the password field for me.

actually does 1Password even do that normally? i just kinda assumed it did because it cost sixty goddamn dollars

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

seems legit

(i actually got this exact message except with all the Bank of America's replaced with Chase like a month ago but I guess my spam folder expunged it :()

I don't get why these things still have obvious grammatical errors. these are for general idiots, not just those who fall for Nigerian prince scammers, right?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

faxlore posted:

just received this e-mail lmao

The state university I went to did this for a better part of a decade. Their excuse was "yeah it cost money to get a real one" so they just had everyone roll their own. Eventually they realized that the cost of having every department doing their own deployment outweighed the cost of just getting a real cert.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

really, integrations and everything? because i already have a dinky password manager that puts stuff in the clipboard that i can paste into boxes, I'd like one that can actually detect what website i'm on and shove things in the password field for me.

actually does 1Password even do that normally? i just kinda assumed it did because it cost sixty goddamn dollars

Not sure about if it does running under wine, but yeah it does that on Mac, Windows , and iOS. Also fills out identity and/or payment fields correctly as well. Just turn off "auto-submit" because it's on by default.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

I'm the pronunciation "tracer t"

Oh cool didn't know you worked at my company

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

DNC got hacked, the CrowdStrike took it to the next fuckin level blaming it on Fancy/Crazy Bear (Russians) then some dude on Wordpress releases the files saying

quote:

Worldwide known cyber security company CrowdStrike announced that the Democratic National Committee (DNC) servers had been hacked by “sophisticated” hacker groups.

I’m very pleased the company appreciated my skills so highly))) But in fact, it was easy, very easy.

Guccifer may have been the first one who penetrated Hillary Clinton’s and other Democrats’ mail servers. But he certainly wasn’t the last. No wonder any other hacker could easily get access to the DNC’s servers.

Shame on CrowdStrike: Do you think I’ve been in the DNC’s networks for almost a year and saved only 2 documents? Do you really believe it?

Here are just a few docs from many thousands I extracted when hacking into DNC’s network.

So today, Crowdstrike, in an effort to remain relevant on the national level, doubled down:

quote:

CrowdStrike stands fully by its analysis and findings identifying two separate Russian intelligence-affiliated adversaries present in the DNC network in May 2016. On June 15, 2016 a blog post to a WordPress site authored by an individual using the moniker Guccifer 2.0 claiming credit for breaching the Democratic National Committee. This blog post presents documents alleged to have originated from the DNC. Whether or not this posting is part of a Russian Intelligence disinformation campaign, we are exploring the documents¹ authenticity and origin. Regardless, these claims do nothing to lessen our findings relating to the Russian government¹s involvement, portions of which we have documented for the public and the greater security community.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Oh cool didn't know you worked at my company

I've always pronounced it "Tray-cert" Am I doing it wrong?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

DNC got hacked, the CrowdStrike took it to the next fuckin level blaming it on Fancy/Crazy Bear (Russians) then some dude on Wordpress releases the files saying

So today, Crowdstrike, in an effort to remain relevant on the national level, doubled down:

But I thought everything was nation states and 'advanced APT' these days.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
every man is an island, an island can be a nation, so any hacker attack can be APT nation states

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ratbert90 posted:

quick reminder: don't say computer stuff out loud

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

traceroute is it's real name, tracert is just what microsoft calls it because they have to make their command line tools all special snowflakes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stymie posted:

also this, this is good advice

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

they were on NPR like yesterday talking about how the ~scary russian government~ is totally at fault here trying to get secret details about our next possible president and they've probably hacked the RNC too!!! :allears:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

"trace-ert"

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Stymie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDtOHH5ExY

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
More a privacy thing more than a sec gently caress-up but:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11935902/facebook-messenger-android-sms-texting-integration

Just sent a friend a text and it appeared in their Facebook messenger...only I don't use Facebook.

Facebook claim they can't see the messages but I'm guessing "metadata"... now I feel like I want to convince another non-tech friend to switch to Signal

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

traceroute is it's real name, tracert is just what microsoft calls it because they have to make their command line tools all special snowflakes

:corsair: move over grandpa, :spergin: tracepath is it's real name.

idk, how come macOS has dig but not tracepath?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/vogon/status/743495394424827904 https://twitter.com/vogon/status/743496305217937408

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

a bunch of news agencies reported that The Russians hacked democrat servers to get data on donald trump but this guy says he did it himself
and now vice is saying it's really the russians for reals

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
wonder if you can swallow f11 keypresses and leave the user in a perpetual state of fullscreen web

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

before my time so i may be wrong, but wouldn't ms-released binaries still have been subject to the same 8.3 restriction on names as any other file? so its tracert.exe so that its not too big. including any of the vowels from "route" (you can only pick one) doesnt really make the name clearer thus it being 7 chars.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
focus my pointer and swallow my keypresses

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah that one's my favourite, i was wondering if the other was something similar but i've never seen that tool before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDtvuCzDZgk

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

bicycle posted:

More a privacy thing more than a sec gently caress-up but:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11935902/facebook-messenger-android-sms-texting-integration

Just sent a friend a text and it appeared in their Facebook messenger...only I don't use Facebook.

Facebook claim they can't see the messages but I'm guessing "metadata"... now I feel like I want to convince another non-tech friend to switch to Signal

resident facebook apologist here even though i don't work for them anymore

you yourself don't need to use FB for the SMS integration to work for your friend, they just need to set FB Messenger as the default SMS app then all SMSs are passed to the messenger app to handle client side on the device so your SMSs aren't sent through FB's servers or anything

the same SMS integration exists for a bunch of other apps including Signal and hangouts

they're almost definitely capturing metadata (actually kinda interested what, might check tonight), but the main goal is most likely pumping messenger usage numbers by getting people to do as much chatting as possible through it

but yeah, if you mostly talk to your friend over SMS already just convince them to use Signal

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

before my time so i may be wrong, but wouldn't ms-released binaries still have been subject to the same 8.3 restriction on names as any other file? so its tracert.exe so that its not too big. including any of the vowels from "route" (you can only pick one) doesnt really make the name clearer thus it being 7 chars.

yeah it's tracert as far back as in win 3.1 with network stuff installed, where the 8.3 restriction was definitely in place.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb16-18.html

Another day, another 36 CVE's for flash.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

ah yes, an "adobe dozen"

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

edit: nice work radium :arghfist:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
so i asked our CTO if they'd send me to def con and for some reason i got a super enthusiastic yes so see you guys there

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

pr0zac posted:

resident facebook apologist here even though i don't work for them anymore

you yourself don't need to use FB for the SMS integration to work for your friend, they just need to set FB Messenger as the default SMS app then all SMSs are passed to the messenger app to handle client side on the device so your SMSs aren't sent through FB's servers or anything

the same SMS integration exists for a bunch of other apps including Signal and hangouts

they're almost definitely capturing metadata (actually kinda interested what, might check tonight), but the main goal is most likely pumping messenger usage numbers by getting people to do as much chatting as possible through it

but yeah, if you mostly talk to your friend over SMS already just convince them to use Signal

Thanks for the info - will certainly be interested if you dig something up :)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tiny Bug Child posted:

so i asked our CTO if they'd send me to def con and for some reason i got a super enthusiastic yes so see you guys there
you should present

something like "incognito mode doesn't save you. we know exactly who you are, you sick filth"

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Tiny Bug Child posted:

See you there!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bhodi posted:

you should present

something like "incognito mode doesn't save you. we know exactly who you are, you sick filth"

Maybe I secretly want you to know. Maybe that's my thing.

:wink:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lmao

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

yeah it works using browser extensions rather than clipboard stuff. I use it with chrome/chromium/firefox and it works fine

only snag i've had was that by default, 1p expects your browser to have code signing which linux doesn't have (nor does chromium on windows). but you can disable this check in the 1p preferences. (tbh if youve somehow managed to download a phoney version of your browser you're hosed anyway lol)

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 16, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
if I have an old 1.x version of keepass am I affected by whatever that ad bullshit was about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

thehustler posted:

if I have an old 1.x version of keepass am I affected by whatever that ad bullshit was about?
nope. 1.x has worked for years and will continue to work.

• Locked thread