Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

UndyingShadow posted:

You do that with power and focused antennas, which FCC rules don't allow. Your only option to guarantee coverage is multiple access points. Which you'd need anyway since your tablet definitely won't have power and focused antennas.

This is really the bottom line.

You're limited to 36dBm EIRP in the US, so your average AP has an effective range of ~100ft. In order to stretch that you, you would need an antenna that's extremely directionally focused. Early examples of this were the pringles cantenna, which you could plug into a wrt54g and get 1km ranges as long as you didn't have any obstructions. That also means the effective field of coverage was a 5 degree cone. It also doesn't even take into account that the device you're talking to would need an equally directional antenna in the return direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
What is a good router to get now a-days? I recently went from 20/1 to 100/10 and my E4200 with tomato firmware can't handle the speed. With QOS enabled, if I am hitting 5MB/sec+ speeds, the CPU gets pegged at 100% and while internet still works, the web interface is totally unresponsive and it doesn't hand out any IP addresses if new devices come on-line. Without QOS, the CPU is still around 90% when downloading.

I'm going to try overclocking it from 480MHz to 535MHz but I doubt that will make much of a difference.

Would like something with bandwidth monitoring and QOS. I really like the tomato firmware because I can go to QOS -> View Graphs and it has nice pie charts of the connections that you can click on to drill down and see more info. Really helps when setting up QOS rules.

Not sure what's decent now.

Edit: I looked back a page and saw some talk about EdgeRouter Lite 3, which looks interesting but I would prefer something with 4-5 LAN ports and wireless on the unit itself

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 11, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The OP was updated recently, start there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ranter posted:

Holy gently caress, it's like, am I even in the right thread?

you guys who contributed to the updated OP are awesome

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OP needs way WAY more Mikrotik.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

redeyes posted:

I was going to say something about MTik not having many Wireless AC devices but I guess it's been a while since I've looked at their product line. :shobon:

Shame that the $50 'hAP ac lite' only has 10/100 ethernet ports. The 'hAP lite' sure is a nice step in aesthetics.

http://routerboard.com/products/group/20

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Prescription Combs posted:

I was going to say something about MTik not having many Wireless AC devices but I guess it's been a while since I've looked at their product line. :shobon:

Shame that the $50 'hAP ac lite' only has 10/100 ethernet ports. The 'hAP lite' sure is a nice step in aesthetics.

http://routerboard.com/products/group/20

Agreed. The hAP AC is the one to get. Around $120 and has tripple chain AC plus 2.4Ghz.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

redeyes posted:

IIRC there was a shared Google doc that they were using to craft the new OP. I'm sure if you wanted to write something up on Mikrotik and send it to the OP or someone mentioned in the OP, they would get it added.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So I'm using powerline adapters to connect the router which is downstairs to the office which is upstairs. All good for the most part with fairly decent speeds, maybe 10mb/s slower than the 50mb/s my connection provides and I had an annoying niggle where the connection would occasionally drop out and require me to hold the resync button on the adapter in the office to get it back.

That was up until yesterday when I re-arranged the office, (unplugged everything) then plugged it back in (adapter went back into the same standalone power socket it was in previously, with the same 6-way adapter plugged into the socket next to it). When I power everything back on I'm suddenly only getting 1-2mb/s. I try different sockets in the room and get it up to 20mb/s but it's still way lower than it should be. I was rubber-ducking to my girlfriend explaining that the powerline adapters are susceptible to interference, but have no idea why it's suddenly started happening now and she suggests flicking the main breakers off and on again to- and I quote- "unclog the wires". To humour her while explaining "that's not really how it works" I do so, and gently caress me if I'm not getting a solid and stable 50mb/s through the adapters now... so apparently that is exactly how it works.

Does anyone have any ideas what's happened? All I can think of is that there was a dodgy appliance somewhere on the circuit that's been reset and is now working somehow, but nothing has been unplugged to make it work.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

The hAP AC is mentioned in the OP. The only reason its not in the recommended section is due to Unifi stuff being more user friendly. But for those who are comfortable with products aimed at a more technical audience its a better deal than an ERX and an AC-AP-Lite if you don't mind not being able to separate your AP from your router.

If someone wants to write up a more extensive Mikrotik section we could see about adding it.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Ranter posted:

Oh hey, thanks!

I'm going to grab the TP-LINK AC1900!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Just want to make sure this isn't a stupid list before I pull the trigger:

modem
router
ap

Taken right from the OP. I'm moving into a new place and need to get my own networking hardware, I've installed dd-wrt plenty of times / am fairly technical so this should do me good, right?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Well gently caress me, the 6190 has screw holes for wall mounting but the 6183 does not. I should bought bigger. Oh well.

The Edgerouter PoE is probably overkill for you. Fortunately they should be shipping 48v power adapters with them now so if you want to roll with that router anyways, you'll be able to power the UAP-AC-Pro directly from the router's PoE ports.

As for the AC-Pro... well nothing on the market really takes advantage of 3x3 AC MIMO yet, but if you're willing to pay it's pretty swag.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Thanks! I've gone through quite a few lovely linksys routers so this will be quite the treat.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Speaking of MU-MIMO, while I understand that there aren't really any clients on the market that can take advantage of the increased maximum throughput, is it actually useful in the real world for multiple simultaneous clients? As someone in a home with multiple computers used over wireless at the same time, is that something that would actually translate to less latency for them?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
w

Kairos posted:

Speaking of MU-MIMO, while I understand that there aren't really any clients on the market that can take advantage of the increased maximum throughput, is it actually useful in the real world for multiple simultaneous clients? As someone in a home with multiple computers used over wireless at the same time, is that something that would actually translate to less latency for them?

Nope. not enough clients support it for you to take advantage of.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So I got a TP-Link Archer C9 and am finding that when anyone streams some Netflix or something, latency skyrockets. We have 30Mbit of downstream bandwidth and 5 up, confirmed on speedtest. DSL reports test indicates really bad bufferbloat. Upgraded firmware to very latest, still awful. What gives?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ranter posted:

So I got a TP-Link Archer C9 and am finding that when anyone streams some Netflix or something, latency skyrockets. We have 30Mbit of downstream bandwidth and 5 up, confirmed on speedtest. DSL reports test indicates really bad bufferbloat. Upgraded firmware to very latest, still awful. What gives?

That's supposedly caused by the modem rather than the router.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's a modem that was just provided a few weeks ago by the cable ISP and, oddly enough, they don't charge rental for it. I didn't set up the connection with the ISP though so I'm unsure if they insist on using their modem or whether I can bring my own, but I'll look into that. They're a municipal cable TV and Internet provider for 1 city in the bay area, so they're a bit of an oddity. Thanks for the info.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Anyone know how well the EdgerouterX works with NAT with two XBox ones?

PFSense doesn't seem to like it and setting up seems to be jumping through a LOT of hoops.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't have consoles, but what's special about having two Xbox's compared to just having two PCs or two tablets or two whatever?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thermopyle posted:

I don't have consoles, but what's special about having two Xbox's compared to just having two PCs or two tablets or two whatever?

Nothing, I don't think?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah 2 Xboxes should work behind any NAT router without any issues.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If Upnp works, then yes is works (with xbox live/multiplayer) fine.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone have a preference/recommendation for a half-rack? I'm wiring my whole house soon and placing the rack in an unused walk-in closet in a spare bedroom. A half-rack will do since I only plan for patch panel, switch, router, PDU, and a 1U server. Not even sure if I should go with open or locking.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know bit I am starting to think the problem is my day one. I have to boot it first because it doesn't like to go with any port busy the default.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

gregday posted:

Anyone have a preference/recommendation for a half-rack? I'm wiring my whole house soon and placing the rack in an unused walk-in closet in a spare bedroom. A half-rack will do since I only plan for patch panel, switch, router, PDU, and a 1U server. Not even sure if I should go with open or locking.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/44361109/

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alternatively:
https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I went the lack rack route and it worked well for me. I was even able to mount the PoE injectors I was worried about.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use a Mikrotik router on my network but they don't support SMB master browser stuffs. Not many routers DO support it.. but I need something that keeps my SMB network list showing up on my computers. It's driving me loving nuts, there is lag when viewing the Network area of windows 10. Sometimes certain computers don't show up. ARRG!

Help!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What would cause our network connection to completely disappear from my computer's list of available connections? If connected I could use it for maybe 5 minutes, after which it disconnects and disappears from the list for a few minutes. If it shows up again it's a gamble on whether or not I can actually get connected, and if I do it will only be for a couple of minutes. Our phones get lovely speeds and timeouts, but their connections are never dropped like this.

I don't suspect it's my computer, or at least not entirely, because wireless worked without any issue at our old place. Could it be too many devices? It never started happening until I moved here, where the router is old and there are two other people that have at least six other devices connected to it between them. In total there is perhaps 10 wireless devices (a liberal estimate) and two wired devices.

For the record, my computer is maybe ten feet away from the router and the only thing between us is a simple wall. My phone gets a fine connection from here.

I just I went down and checked the router, it's a Cisco DPC3825 and it's attached to a Linksys E4200 for some reason (cable is going from port 3 in the DPC3825 to the 'Internet' input in the E4200). Why do we have two routers? :psyduck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mak0rz posted:

Why do we have two routers? :psyduck:

The Cisco is your cable modem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

What would cause our network connection to completely disappear from my computer's list of available connections? If connected I could use it for maybe 5 minutes, after which it disconnects and disappears from the list for a few minutes. If it shows up again it's a gamble on whether or not I can actually get connected, and if I do it will only be for a couple of minutes. Our phones get lovely speeds and timeouts, but their connections are never dropped like this.

I don't suspect it's my computer, or at least not entirely, because wireless worked without any issue at our old place. Could it be too many devices? It never started happening until I moved here, where the router is old and there are two other people that have at least six other devices connected to it between them. In total there is perhaps 10 wireless devices (a liberal estimate) and two wired devices.

For the record, my computer is maybe ten feet away from the router and the only thing between us is a simple wall. My phone gets a fine connection from here.

I just I went down and checked the router, it's a Cisco DPC3825 and it's attached to a Linksys E4200 for some reason (cable is going from port 3 in the DPC3825 to the 'Internet' input in the E4200). Why do we have two routers? :psyduck:

Try to make sure all your devices are connecting at 5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz. If you're in an apartment complex or something there could be a ton of other people on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 5 GHz has more "channels" so there is less likely to be interference. The best way to achieve this is to set up one network (SSID) to do only 5 GHz and one network (SSID) to do only 2.4 GHz, and force your devices to connect to the 5 GHz network.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

I use a Mikrotik router on my network but they don't support SMB master browser stuffs. Not many routers DO support it.. but I need something that keeps my SMB network list showing up on my computers. It's driving me loving nuts, there is lag when viewing the Network area of windows 10. Sometimes certain computers don't show up. ARRG!

Help!

Try some or all of the following:
  • Build a windows AD domain controller and join all the computers to it. OR Build a SMB master server.
  • Make sure all the hosts are on the same LAN segment and subnet. (If not in a domain)
  • Enable netbios over TCP/IP, and make sure all hosts are not blocking the UDP netbios packets.
  • setup a WINS server.

You can probably use a linux box with Samba.

Routers should have no part of your SMB/CIFS services on your local LAN hosts.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 16, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

Try some or all of the following:
  • Build a windows AD domain controller and join all the computers to it. OR Build a SMB master server.
  • Make sure all the hosts are on the same LAN segment and subnet. (If not in a domain)
  • Enable netbios over TCP/IP, and make sure all hosts are not blocking the UDP netbios packets.
  • setup a WINS server.

You can probably use a linux box with Samba.

Routers should have no part of your SMB/CIFS services on your local LAN hosts.

OK thanks for this advice.

1. Windows AD - a lot of work and I don't really want to deal with it
2. They are on the same subnet/lan segment
3. netbios over tcpip is turned on as far as I know, is there something else I need to check?
4. I have a WINS server running on my 2012 R2 Essentials box. It seems to be working but I probably haven't configured something right.

Using Linux is an option as well, I might end up doing that if WINS doesn't work

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not to be a smart rear end, but is this something that can be solved by a mapped drive / shortcut?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm stumped by this. I'm trying to access a specific website (I haven't encountered this with any other site) and here's what happens:

Chrome URL: time out
Chrome IP address: time out
IE URL: time out
IE IP address: time out

CMD ping: works fine and replies within 64ms
CMD tracert: seems to work fine

Ipad connected to same wifi: works fine and I can see the website as intended

I thought it was a DNS issue but not even the IP address works, and I don't understand how the ping command can work but neither browsers. I also don't understand why only one website is affected. I haven't changed any network settings and proxy is set to auto-detect. Help?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Its possible the site is filtering by user agent. Which basically means they only want certain browsers/OSs looking at their site. Thankfully the user agent is easy to fake in Firefox and Chrome via a number of addons.

Ping is a totally different thing from a browser connection, one is ICMP (type 8 code 0 I think) and the other is a TCP connection on port 80 and then an HTTP GET request inside of that. Going to an IP in your browser isn't actually quite the same as going to a domain name. Even if the domain resolves to that same IP. This is due to HTTP host headers, which are included in the browser's request when there is a domain name in the address bar but not when there is just an IP in the address bar. Many sites depend on these host headers to display properly because doing so allows multiple sites to be hosted on the same IP.

In any case, user agent filtering is my guess. Try installing a Chrome addon that lets you change the user agent and then set your user agent to look like an iPad or whatever and see what happens.

I do this sort of thing all the time with Netflix and banking sites that insist they should be able to tell me what browser/OS I should be using to access them.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

OK thanks for this advice.

1. Windows AD - a lot of work and I don't really want to deal with it
2. They are on the same subnet/lan segment
3. netbios over tcpip is turned on as far as I know, is there something else I need to check?
4. I have a WINS server running on my 2012 R2 Essentials box. It seems to be working but I probably haven't configured something right.

Using Linux is an option as well, I might end up doing that if WINS doesn't work

Are they all in the same Workgroup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Even more WiFi, this one is cheap, so less radios and ports. "Plume."

The idea appears lighter, greater density devices than Eero. The additional density permits express lanes bypassing some nodes according to the above graphic.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 17, 2016