Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Forrest is the best kid in the game, Ophelia is a contender for second place and Nina isn't top 3 material but she's still quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So Ch12 advice.. just split and rush and break all the pots with the dragon vein command?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Probably easiest that way. Cluster your people around as many medicine pots as possible when you do, you end up with some good bonuses.

My first time I did it without using the vein, but getting through everything and grabbing the chests and killing the boss gets very tight.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I was able to get both chests and kill Ryoma without the vein, it was easier to control enemy movement that way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I got lucky with my first time through chapter 12 Conquest after firing off the DV, as most of the negative effect pots were clustered around the enemy units. Only two Freeze pots (Camilla and Arthur) and one Hexing pot (Mozu, who still managed to survive with that big handicap) hit my units.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why does some of my units knock the armor of enemies off when attacking? They don't seem to have any special traits for it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Reaper weapons and whatever silass daughters name is do it

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
And occasionally parts will get knocked off just whenever. Not quite sure what triggers it. But yeah, the raider weapons always completely de-armor people when they hit with a weapon triangle advantage.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Why does some of my units knock the armor of enemies off when attacking? They don't seem to have any special traits for it.
Aside from Raider weapons (which trigger this effect if the weapon has a WTA) and Sophie's personal skill Mischievous (triggers this effect automatically on top of a -3 defense stat debuff), this armor/clothing shredding effect sometimes happens either with a crit hit/kill, a WTA hit/kill, or an attack that simply does a lot of damage overall. There's no real method for determining when this happens; sometimes the effect happens and sometimes it does not.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think parts breaking is when a single attack does a certain amount of damage, like half your max HP or something. There's at least two layers of armor that can be knocked off this way.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

So Ch12 advice.. just split and rush and break all the pots with the dragon vein command?

i broke the parts the first time when i did it on hard
they move the DV on lunatic to a spot that i wasnt gonna use it and passed on the vein that time
theyre both fine, tho personally its a little easier to break imo
just be careful of the lunge archers (and lunge can be a good way to get into the chest rooms too)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, man.

Just played Birthright 20 and yeah. That is in contention for the worst map I've played. Infinite spawning enemies who can't damage most of your units, easy to control chokepoints, and obnoxious busywork where you have to clean up the slime pools with a royal to avoid worthless piddling damage.

How do you make fighting endless armies of the undead in a fortress that's secretly an ancient death dragon so loving boring?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, man.

Just played Birthright 20 and yeah. That is in contention for the worst map I've played. Infinite spawning enemies who can't damage most of your units, easy to control chokepoints, and obnoxious busywork where you have to clean up the slime pools with a royal to avoid worthless piddling damage.

How do you make fighting endless armies of the undead in a fortress that's secretly an ancient death dragon so loving boring?

by not including a turn limit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
drat, Chapter 12 conquest has a Saizo that actually counters my superdragon Corrin. I'm a little unsure of how to break that point safely beyond hurling archers at him and hoping.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why is Percy a luchador.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kurtofan posted:

Why is Percy a luchador.

No, he's a sidekick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

drat, Chapter 12 conquest has a Saizo that actually counters my superdragon Corrin. I'm a little unsure of how to break that point safely beyond hurling archers at him and hoping.

I had Camilla kill him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Use buffs (Supportive, Demoiselle, Lily's Poise, ect) to make sure Jakob can eat a round of combat with him, then Lunge him out with one of your Wyvern riders and dogpile him/Kagero. Or I guess do the same with an archer in retrospect, but knives are helpful for the debuff factor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just had to restart chapter 21 Birthright because one of the very last enemy Spear Masters crit with a 20% hit/3% crit chance, which did exactly the amount of HP the unit had left. Feels bad

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Why is Percy a luchador.

Because Luchadors are cool.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FrickenMoron posted:

I had Camilla kill him.

Ryoma's club oneshot him. It felt good.

Now to not gently caress up the rest of the mission. Specifically forgetting counter exists when I put the game down and pick it up a few hours later.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Hidden Truths DLC is probably not a DLC you should play before beating Revelation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

The Hidden Truths DLC is probably not a DLC you should play before beating Revelation.

is that the one with severa, owain, and inigo because none of that is ever brought up or remotely touched on in revelation

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

is that the one with severa, owain, and inigo because none of that is ever brought up or remotely touched on in revelation

Yes and lol. I'm sorry, I thought maybe the vaguely interesting thing might come up at some point, I'm still on Conquest.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only time the back story of the awakening characters is touched on is in supports, and only just barely there. laslow/odin mentions they're there for a reason but doesn't go into it iirc. I don't think any of them have any lines outside of the chapter they join on in either conquest or revelation

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only time the back story of the awakening characters is touched on is in supports, and only just barely there. laslow/odin mentions they're there for a reason but doesn't go into it iirc. I don't think any of them have any lines outside of the chapter they join on in either conquest or revelation

Does your real dad's identity ever get mentionnedat least?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not that I can remember and it doesn't go into lilith either

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Does your real dad's identity ever get mentionnedat least?

Technically, that is mentioned when you reach chapter 7 in any route and get access to the Records Hall because, just like FF13, the devs ran out of time and put all relevant and interesting and good backstory into datalogs. Datalogs you can't read unless you decipher the tablets using the mystery-alphabet they give you.

So, no.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

why

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it turns out making three games in the dev cycle of one means corners get cut

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And they decided to cut all the important corners, making the entire thing topple over.

That's the sad thing, they have literally all the pieces ready and waiting. The motivations, the actions, the consequences, it's all there, and they even have a perfectly fine character to exposit all of this at you. But they never ever go into any of it except for like, two-three lines every now and then that they gloss over.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If we're being totally fair here, the plot is about on par quality wise with a good chunk of the other games. The problem is more that they clearly had something halfway interesting in mind and couldn't finish.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

If we're being totally fair here, the plot is about on par quality wise with a good chunk of the other games.

nah

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Chapter 7 of Revelation drops an exposition bomb about the nature of the invisible purple people, which is summarized in the Hidden Truths DLC. Any other information is exclusive to the DLC.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Like, what the heck happened to (everything) A song of silence and blood? We're just going to completely gloss over the Dragon's Vein and the implications at play here? How Anankos is both the Dawn and the Dusk Dragon, Nohr and Hoshido's shared history, the eventual betrayal of Anankos by abusing the Dragon's Vein and ripping apart Valla? How Lost In Thoughts All Alone was written by Anankos to ensure his demise, making every path a valid "end" to Anankos's designs? What Anankos's designs even are - if he truly wanted to just destroy humanity, he could have easily done it himself at any time - how he wanted a karmic revenge on Hoshido and Nohr for their betrayal by having the two families tear each other apart? How the three major themes of loyalty, justice, and trust correlate to Anankos's story? All of this carries thematic resonance with the rest of the series, particularly FE3 and FE4.

All of this could be solved easily, easily, with one simple thing - don't kill the god drat Rainbow Sage immediately when we meet him. Just have him follow along to Valla and then have him expose all of this as we trudge along the way and there we go.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Sage should have been a Gotoh

That you can marry

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

revelation likes killing people for no reason far too much to let people that could explain things (like the sage or lilith) survive

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

revelation likes killing people for no reason far too much to let people that could explain things (like the sage or lilith) survive

But Revelation lets Lilith live. She just never says anything because... reasons.

The writing in Fates just doesn't work on any level. The supports are mostly boring, the plot is half-assed, nobody talks to each other in the main plot beyond exposition and praising Corrin, major plot points are only mentioned in the DLC...

Like, people talk about Fates like its greatest sin is wasted potential, but lots of games have interesting stuff that's barely fleshed out. Awakening has a ton of stuff that only gets one or two mentions that implies a much more interesting story. The thing is, what we actually get in Awakening has humor, characters with interesting relationships, dramatic moments that actually have buildup and payoff, you know. The basics. Awakening's plot is nowhere near good (although I'll go to bat for the cast any day), but compared to Fates, it's the loving bastard lovechild of Dostoevsky and Shakespeare.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

time for my hosed up opinion - the supports in awakening are better as a whole, but people have some rose tinted glasses for them. There were lots of bad supports, one note characters and awkward S ranks there too

7-9 supports are still the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

time for my hosed up opinion - the supports in awakening are better as a whole, but people have some rose tinted glasses for them. There were lots of bad supports, one note characters and awkward S ranks there too

7-9 supports are still the best

I'd like a game with supports at that level of quality but without the only 5 supports per character limit.

• Locked thread