Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Bernie doesn't exactly have a glorious record when hit comes to gun control issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bernie doesn't exactly have a glorious record when hit comes to gun control issues.

Who gives a poo poo who's sitting in the Senate Chamber during a filibuster.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MariusLecter posted:

I wanted to post this in YCS but ctrl+f'ing "bernie' and 'sanders' got me nothing so...

is that supposed to be an english sentence? in the tweet that is

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

zoux posted:

Haha that's absurd.

I don't know about the accuracy of the comparison but it's fun to revisit how bonkers the 1990 TX gov contest was.

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that was the origin of "Relax and enjoy it"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Part of Hillary's VP shortlist leaked.

Caveats:
- It is not a complete list; the complete list has about 18 names.
- These are people being informally vetted and have not been asked to be submitted to the official vetting process (tax returns, etc) yet.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/16/11954878/hillary-clinton-vice-president-veepstakes

The buzz is that Elizabeth Warren is on the list, but Bernie isn't. Not sure who is actually surprised by that though.

quote:

Beyond the Massachusetts senator, other prospective candidates include Labor Secretary Tom Perez; Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro; Sens. Tim Kaine of Virginia, Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Cory Booker of New Jersey; Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, and Reps. Xavier Becerra of California and Tim Ryan of Ohio, several Democrats said.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

I don't know about the accuracy of the comparison but it's fun to revisit how bonkers the 1990 TX gov contest was.

It'd be amazing if Trump was a Texas "billionaire" instead of a New Yorker.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

It'd be amazing if Trump was a Texas "billionaire" instead of a New Yorker.

It would be even more amazing if he was self made instead of inheriting his wealth.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Caveats:
- These are people being informally vetted and have not been asked to be submitted to the official vetting process (tax returns, etc) yet.

The buzz is that Elizabeth Warren is on the list, but Bernie isn't. Not sure who is actually surprised by that though.

Who besides the most deluded morons actually thought that Hillary would consider Bernie as VP?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Caveats:

Good summary. I'd say the best picks are Warren and Perez.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
"Anti-government patriot/liberty groups"
Is such a weird phrase

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What is an anti-government patriot

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
A revanchist, usually

I'm not really sure how that can apply in an American context though

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

theblackw0lf posted:

Warren risks a Senate seat, so Perez

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

theblackw0lf posted:

I think Warren is fantastic...where she is. Why remove a staunch liberal from the Senate to basically sit around and do nothing? If Trump really does cause downticket disaster you want as many Dems staying in as possible on the off chance it flips back.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Deified Data posted:

An accurate code word for idiot hick.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

To many the government is not of the country, and is in fact the enemy of the Constitution. To them everything only works because the last vestiges of "real" America haven't yet been destroyed by Washington D.C.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caveats:

I'm a huge fan of Not Cory Booker. As long as our VP is Not Cory Booker, I'll be satisfied.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Xavier Becerra would be a fantastic pick

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deified Data posted:

A Native American, I guess.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Caveats:

I don't know much about him. But I would like to see her pick Castro as a jab to Republicans over Cuba. And as a jab to Trump over his Mexican comments.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think Warren is fantastic...where she is. Why remove a staunch liberal from the Senate to basically sit around and do nothing? If Trump really does cause downticket disaster you want as many Dems staying in as possible on the off chance it flips back.

This isn't a big problem. It'd be pretty much impossible for the Democrats to lose an election in Massachusetts and the Governor can appoint someone to serve in her place until the Special Election happens.

Warren would be a great pick, she's Bernie without the baggage right now.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Warren risks a Senate seat, so Perez

Reid seems to think Warren can be VP with low risk of losing the seat.

Perez isn't a Senator. He's Secretary of Labor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

Xavier Becerra would be a fantastic pick

Yea I'm hoping for him or Castro myself, I'm pretty sure she's gonna go hispanic just to really hammer Trump the hardest. Especially since for her the VP slot is basically a gimmie, she doesn't exactly need to 'balance the ticket' for experience or anything like Obama did, it'd be pointless to pick some old white guy, and double women would be good but might as well just go for broke in dunking on one of the most openly hateful assholes to run for president in a good while.

Becerra rules but I still have my Castro soft spot that makes me hope she grabs him. Don't know much about Perez, how is he?

Also I'd like Booker just because that'd be fun.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fans posted:

This isn't a big problem. It'd be pretty much impossible for the Democrats to lose an election in Massachusetts and the Governor can appoint someone to serve in her place until the Special Election happens.

Warren would be a great pick, she's Bernie without the baggage right now.

About that Governor

Born Charles Duane Baker, Jr.
November 13, 1956 (age 59)
Elmira, New York, United States
Political party Republican

Perez and Castro would both be good picks, but the only best pick is Joe Biden VP For Life.

OH GOD AND THIS

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 16, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Caveats:

Which of these people have Clinton personally worked with before? The senators, maybe the other cabinet members?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Fans posted:

This isn't a big problem. It'd be pretty much impossible for the Democrats to lose an election in Massachusetts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Coakley

edit:

quote:

and the Governor can appoint someone to serve in her place until the Special Election happens.

https://www.google.com/search?q=governor+of+massachusetts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

To be slightly less of a shitpost, it is very possible for Democrats to lose a statewide election in Massachusetts, and the current governor- who won a statewide election, in Massachusetts- is a Republican. Not a Democrat.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 16, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

As a MA resident we could absolutely elect a Republican in a special election to replace Warren. In fact the state would probably take it up as a challenge because we are full of those kind of morons who believe in party balance. They'd consider one Republican and one Democratic senator good politics. You know what I'm talking about.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i have no idea why Eric Garcetti is on there, though. hes mayor of Los Angeles, which might as well be a big flashing neon sign saying Ethics Investigation Bait

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I thought Massachusetts was bluer than this, what the hell Massachusetts I thought you were cool :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i have no idea why Eric Garcetti is on there, though. hes mayor of Los Angeles, which might as well be a big flashing neon sign saying Ethics Investigation Bait

Because he's a jewish mexican man with big city experience who hasn't had any scandals in his time in government. Plus I think his dad is still fairly well remembered, and OJ Fever is hot right now.

edit: Hell, get Gil Garcetti in there, he was never actually mayor and he's done a bunch of work in the interim with water access and anti-death penalty orgs.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 17, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fans posted:

I thought Massachusetts was bluer than this, what the hell Massachusetts I thought you were cool :(
Massachusetts is very very blue but they have this weird obsession with "party balance" for some reason. Reminder that this is the state that gave us Mitt Romney.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Garcetti doesn't have any ethics violations as far as we know, but he has gone against both the fire and police unions which probably isn't good on a national democratic ticket.

There's also this

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 16, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I haven't seen this posted yet, but here is footage of the Orlando Shooter apparently in a movie about the BP Oil spill.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...tm_content=link

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Massachusetts is very very blue but they have this weird obsession with "party balance" for some reason. Reminder that this is the state that gave us Mitt Romney.

:psyduck: Well I apologize to the thread for acting like I had any clue how your weird political system even works now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fans posted:

:psyduck: Well I apologize to the thread for acting like I had any clue how your weird political system even works now.

its loving madness all the way down, op

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

To be fair to Massachusetts the person running against the Republican in the last gubernatorial election was Martha Coakley, who didn't seem to realize that she was running for the governor of Massachusetts and not some other state during her campaign.

My impression of the situation is that MA is the kind of state that will vote the GOP into office if they really want to stick it to the Dem candidate and/or the Dem candidate really screws up. It's still a liberal state, just not a Vote Dem Every Time state like NY or California.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Shirec posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that was the origin of "Relax and enjoy it"

Not that it matters but Bobby Knight said it 2 years prior.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/27/sports/knight-is-criticized-over-rape-remark.html

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Evander is a pussy. Tyson would have put him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fans posted:

I think it's just one of those weird side effects of Massachusetts being so blue: they feel like they can elect a Republican governor and be "bipartisan" because the legislature is so Democratic that they basically always have a veto-proof majority. I mean yeah, Baker is a Republican, but he can't really do anything that actually matters most of the time.

Also keep in mind that Massachusetts Republicans are a very different beast from the national party. If they want to get elected in Massachusetts they have to be.

• Locked thread