Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

mostlygray posted:

They were all hard workers, just reliable third time losers. They showed up on time and were the best crew I'd had in 10 years. That is about the best you could hope for with the salaries that we paid. I wasn't allowed to do the hiring, only management of the staff. We once had 8 employees disappear one day due to immigration issues. Another staff member we had looked like a hard-time criminal gang member. He constantly said "Don't judge me because of my looks." His mom called us to tell us that he had stolen product from our warehouse. He even said "Don't judge me." as he ran in circles around the outside of the warehouse until my co-manager caught him cartoon style. No charges, we just made him do the walk of shame to his mom's car when she came to pick him up. He must have been about 40 years old.

Had a guy put the mast through the top of a truck once, that was fun for our insurance. Another dude decided to try to drive onto a truck without the dock plate. Took a dozen guys and many prying implements to get him unstuck. Another dude took out a support column for a mezzanine we had. Knocked it a foot back and we had to evacuate the room for safety.

Trust me, if a guys worst sin is bumping a pole a little bit, they're probably the best staff member you've ever had.

What did you pay, $5 an hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Mithaldu posted:

That sounds like a kindergarten for adult-sized humans.

That is exactly what a warehouse is. As a snot-nosed dumb intern, I was an assistant receiving manager in a warehouse and I sometimes felt like I was babysitting a dozen men old enough to be my dad.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
DON'T JUDGE ME

Jubilex
Nov 15, 2012

JB50 posted:

What did you pay, $5 an hour?

I guess my place expects us to be a bit professional for the equivalent of $23 an hour. Not to say there aren't idiots around, but they keep it restrained.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I received radiation treatment following surgery for a tumor in my leg. I've always wondered how much radiation I was exposed to, not that I could've avoided it.

The first time the nurses cleared out before the rads started I looked back at the door as they swung it shut and realized it was like the one you'd find on a bank vault. And I was on the wrong side of it.

I still joke about hearing the old Windows error sound over the PA before one of my treatments. Turns out they had a Windows 98 machine in the control room that handled scheduling.

If it makes you feel any better, the room is so well protected because the nurses and technicians have to work next to it all day for years on end. One short, relatively high, but precisely applied dose (yours) is less dangerous than a decade of continuous random low exposure (the nurses, if the room leaked a bit).

Also, in the first place, the doctors are making a calculated risk assessment and determining that the amount your lifespan will be reduced by the radiation exposure is less than the amount it would be reduced by not having the surgery. Enjoy! :unsmigghh:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX1KeH3CkHs

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

drat, Dukes of Hazzard reboot looking lame as gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The first car: whatever, maybe you can’t see the bump well at speed.

The second car: WTF? Did you not see what just happened to the car in front of you? Hit the brakes!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Remember those painters in China pushing the scaffold?

It happened again with a boom truck trying to move a sign.

Warning :nws: :nms: http://youtu.be/o2nPTghbvyk

If they did survive they probably had very serious and debilitating injuries (electrical burns).

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 15, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CaseFace McGee posted:

That is exactly what a warehouse is. As a snot-nosed dumb intern, I was an assistant receiving manager in a warehouse and I sometimes felt like I was babysitting a dozen men old enough to be my dad.

I manage a warehouse and this is accurate. Someone smashed a water fountain with the forklift and the only two people who know how to operate it (or are certified) both told me they didn't do it. It was just running water all over the floor and when I arrived for the day there were tools scattered around it in the puddle of water where someone was trying to.....do something. Nobody could explain why they needed a level or a hacksaw since nobody apparently did it.

These guys have 10-20 years on me and act like little kids that don't want to tell their Dad that they broke something.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/PWsJMTP.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC63T-QO9gk

Magnesium-Fueled Fire in Maywood Causes Explosions, Evacuations, Odors

Water that was sprayed on the flames came into contact with burning magnesium, creating a violent explosion, Tripp said. Firefighters then stopped applying water to that area.

http://ktla.com/2016/06/14/magnesium-fueled-fire-in-maywood-causes-explosions-power-outages/

Whoops.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I manage a warehouse and this is accurate. Someone smashed a water fountain with the forklift and the only two people who know how to operate it (or are certified) both told me they didn't do it. It was just running water all over the floor and when I arrived for the day there were tools scattered around it in the puddle of water where someone was trying to.....do something. Nobody could explain why they needed a level or a hacksaw since nobody apparently did it.

These guys have 10-20 years on me and act like little kids that don't want to tell their Dad that they broke something.

Probably don't want to risk their $350 a week job to some salary kid getting a hard on for metrics.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

astrollinthepork posted:

Probably don't want to risk their $350 a week job to some salary kid getting a hard on for metrics.

What does this even mean?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It might OK now, but in a month someone who is paid far more than them and isn't as replaceable will put the numbers into excel and fire and bunch of people.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

I remember burning magnesium strips in High School, and they were bright as gently caress. The instructor warned us to not look directly at it. I can only imagine the eye-damage some of those people got from this explosion.

edt: vvv whoa vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 16, 2016

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Airborne Viking posted:

I remember burning magnesium strips in High School, and they were bright as gently caress. The instructor warned us to not look directly at it. I can only imagine the eye-damage some of those people got from this explosion.

A friend of a friend would throw a huge bonfire/luau at the local beach during the summer. They would go to the local pick n' pull and grab a magnesium casing from a car's engine block (Volvo? It was some particular model). They would then light it using a blowtorch after setting it on top of a nearby dune. The thing would burn all night and make a light about as bright as a rising sun. I thought it was an incredibly novel way to light up the night.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Burning_Monk posted:

A friend of a friend would throw a huge bonfire/luau at the local beach during the summer. They would go to the local pick n' pull and grab a magnesium casing from a car's engine block (Volvo? It was some particular model). They would then light it using a blowtorch after setting it on top of a nearby dune. The thing would burn all night and make a light about as bright as a rising sun. I thought it was an incredibly novel way to light up the night.

Volkswagen.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deteriorata posted:

Amazon faces $350K fine for shipping dangerous goods

"Amazing Liquid Fire" is 98% sulfuric acid with a bit of detergent mixed in. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Here's the MSDS. It includes this nifty NFPA label:

That diagram looks super mspaint.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Not to condone the behavior - but an incident like that is liable to be (justifiably) used as a tiebreaker if a position has to be eliminated. Self-preservation is a hell of a thing.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Is... is this some kind of meta joke that people keep pointing this out or

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Fasdar posted:

Volkswagen.

Yes! I knew it started with a "V".

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

sandoz posted:

Is... is this some kind of meta joke that people keep pointing this out or

THIS LOOKS MS-PAINTED. I CAN TELL FROM SOME OF THE PIXELS AND FROM SEEING QUITE A FEW MS-PAINTS IN MY TIME.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Guys I know this is from pretty far back... but that hazmat symbol looks a little suspect...?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i suspect it may have been created or modified using the free graphic design tool popularly known as 'GIMP'

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
surely you remember the goldmine MS Paint New Hazmat Symbols thread

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I know hotsprings chat was a number of pages back, but this book has a whole section on death and injury due to hotsprings in Yellowstone, and it's pretty interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6HEF2

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tenzarin posted:

Holy crap I thought that was a joke you made until I opened the PDF!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I've been to the Yellowstone hot springs and it was freaky because all the bacteria in the water boils off i guess so the water is like super super clear, it's like you can see a mile down into it. It's like peering into the bowel of a monstrous snake

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

If they did survive they probably had very serious and debilitating injuries (electrical burns).

sweet vaporwave soundtrack

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Buca di Bepis posted:

sweet vaporwave soundtrack

I M P E D A N C E

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 17, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fasdar posted:

Volkswagen.

There are literally thousands of different kinds of cars from nearly every major manufacturer that come with aluminum engine blocks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

There are literally thousands of different kinds of cars from nearly every major manufacturer that come with aluminum engine blocks.

It’s a good thing we’re talking about magnesium, then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good thing we’re talking about magnesium, then.

:downs: good point

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

lol
"Video taken down due to policy on spam, deceptive practices, and scams"
:wtf:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtdtuspnoM

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

hhhhhhhholy poo poo

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

hhhhhhhholy poo poo

In-loving-deed. This looks to me like melbourne (Aus) in the late 2000s, but I'd love to find some back story.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mistle posted:

lol
"Video taken down due to policy on spam, deceptive practices, and scams"
:wtf:

That's weird. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Never thought I'd see something in this thread where I know the location. That station would be Springwood in the Blue Mountains of Australia. It'd have to have happened more than 3 years ago because they didn't replace the time boards with screens till they changed the branding of the station. Springwood is the sort of place where people like to believe it's posh but it has a massive bogan population and the pubs are violent enough that the bouncers walk the crowd to the station on occasions to stop fights. The trains heading down the hill also stop at 11pm with nothing else coming till 3am. I'd say what happened is someone thought they could hitch a ride to where they where they were going.