Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Watching some kid tear up a box of EMA :qq:

loving draft that poo poo kid, the value of a box is awful anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ciprian Maricon posted:

How does a kid afford a box of EMA?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mind you by "kid" i mean anyone Under-25, so some teenager. Who knows maybe parents, maybe summer job. It's expensive but when you're a kid with no bills its a lot easier. I bought way more Magic when I was in college than I do now.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I cracked a case of four in the car on my way to Columbus last Friday.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

That can't be very safe.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Got anything good?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I was a kid I spent so much pocket money just ripping packs of Chronicles. :negative:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

You're a vendor, I think its a lot different than some kid just tearing through packs for kicks

Entropic posted:

When I was a kid I spent so much pocket money just ripping packs of Chronicles. :negative:

Same but Nemesis, Goddamn I loved opening Nemesis boosters

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 16, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

I wish I did that instead of Homelands and Fallen Empire.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know some of you don't like mtgfinance, but would it be good to get in on some Olivia Mobilizeds (like 10 of em)? I'm thinking there will be a lot more black and red vamps in EMN. I bet they don't get less than $3.50 pretty much ever, so I don't see the downside being too great a risk.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

Same but Fallen Empires and 4th edition (4th has to be better than 3rd right?! Right...? :cry:)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

I know some of you don't like mtgfinance, but would it be good to get in on some Olivia Mobilizeds (like 10 of em)? I'm thinking there will be a lot more black and red vamps in EMN. I bet they don't get less than $3.50 pretty much ever, so I don't see the downside being too great a risk.

I don't think spending 35 bucks for a small chance to make like 175 bucks is really worth the hassle. Especially at the pain in the rear end it is to sell them for tcg low is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ButtWolf posted:

Something like this will almost never be worth it. Let's look at the best case scenario:

You spend $40 on ten or eleven olivias. They all some and they're in appropriate condition.
You wait.
Luckily the meta evolves and she shows up in a tier one deck as a four of.
FYI multicolour legends are actually least likely to do this, esp in a 'normal' 2-3 colour environment like this one.
She jumps to Kalitas levels ~$23 tcglow.
Buylist jumps to $15.
You sell, package, and mail the cards.
A while later you get $150

Sounds nice, but I put the odds of that happening, to that extent, at best 2-5%. Another 5% she jumps enough that the buylist covers your time and outlay. In the meantime you've tied up your investment dollars.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I was able to draft Eternal Masters, I haven't drafted since Conspiracy and haven't played standard since the first Innastrad cycle. First pack I opened a Wrath of God and then third pack a foil Wrath of God. The table opened a mana crypt and a karakas so pretty good box. I cannot believe that I won the first match going against a guy that had an armadillo cloak. At one point I had 3 small creatures and he was able to get out 3 creatures each a bit bigger than mine. I swung into him and he was worried I had some combat trick and just took the damage. After combat I wrath'ed and he was only left with a rancor in hand. I won another game with quick white flyers to start then stalled out with the wrath of gods and pacifisms and won by doing like 8 damage with a Honden of Infinite Rage.

Eternal Masters seems like a great draft format and the lottery ticket style of packs reminds me of getting those god packs in Time Spiral. Opening like a timeshifted rare, a foil rare, and regular rare was pretty nuts but Eternal Masters can have some crazy packs too. Saw a guy open a foil wastelands and a force of will in the same pack, I don't remember the rare but it wasn't terrible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

No Luck Needed posted:

I was able to draft Eternal Masters, I haven't drafted since Conspiracy and haven't played standard since the first Innastrad cycle. First pack I opened a Wrath of God and then third pack a foil Wrath of God. The table opened a mana crypt and a karakas so pretty good box. I cannot believe that I won the first match going against a guy that had an armadillo cloak. At one point I had 3 small creatures and he was able to get out 3 creatures each a bit bigger than mine. I swung into him and he was worried I had some combat trick and just took the damage. After combat I wrath'ed and he was only left with a rancor in hand. I won another game with quick white flyers to start then stalled out with the wrath of gods and pacifisms and won by doing like 8 damage with a Honden of Infinite Rage.

Eternal Masters seems like a great draft format and the lottery ticket style of packs reminds me of getting those god packs in Time Spiral. Opening like a timeshifted rare, a foil rare, and regular rare was pretty nuts but Eternal Masters can have some crazy packs too. Saw a guy open a foil wastelands and a force of will in the same pack, I don't remember the rare but it wasn't terrible.

Honestly doesn't seem particularly great or even powerful to me. It's fine, it reminds of MM15 combined with VMA, except without battle screech and lots of the archetypes are garbage. It's balanced reasonably well, but I guess I just don't find it interesting.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Something like this will almost never be worth it. Let's look at the best case scenario:

You spend $40 on ten or eleven olivias. They all some and they're in appropriate condition.
You wait.
Luckily the meta evolves and she shows up in a tier one deck as a four of.
FYI multicolour legends are actually least likely to do this, esp in a 'normal' 2-3 colour environment like this one.
She jumps to Kalitas levels ~$23 tcglow.
Buylist jumps to $15.
You sell, package, and mail the cards.
A while later you get $150

Sounds nice, but I put the odds of that happening, to that extent, at best 2-5%. Another 5% she jumps enough that the buylist covers your time and outlay. In the meantime you've tied up your investment dollars.

True. I was gonna buy 10 Nahiris @ $125ish in april and could have profited $200ish. I'm just thinking it might be fun to try, no big deal, not gonna dump thousands like that guy that bought 250 Nahiris or whatever.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Thisuck posted:

Got anything good?

Foil FoW pack one. :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

True. I was gonna buy 10 Nahiris @ $125ish in april and could have profited $200ish. I'm just thinking it might be fun to try, no big deal, not gonna dump thousands like that guy that bought 250 Nahiris or whatever.

I think there are better ways to make money in your spare time to buy magic cards than MTGfinance.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like what, meth?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

Like what, meth?

I would imagine mowing lawns has better margins.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go outside? Ha.

Probably should just go to Edward Jones or something and actually invest in something. Thanks for keeping me straight somethingawful1

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Also, they're spoiling Emrakul on Monday. The official previews for Electronic Dance Music don't start until the 27th, but there's some kind of video-thing they're doing to just show you whatever the issue is on Innistrad, maybe 4 or 5 cards.

Spoiler:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 16, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
SSS and SSE are great formats. always pick power of fire (honorable mention presence of gond and banishing knack) and silkbind faeries (honorable mention any other untapper)

Imo red is the best color in the format followed by white, blue, black, and then green green. Green might be higher but wither kind of cuts into green's usual advantages and its best cards are also red (scuzzback marauders, boggart ram-gang, giantbaiting) or white (barkshell blessing, any g/w elf).

aim for a mono colored deck with a possible light splash and if picks aren't particularly exciting don't be afraid to pick up an elsewhere flask to combo with insanely overpowered card jaws of stone even in nonred decks.

Also my personal belief is that in SSE blue moves up and red moves down so that it's a three way tie between red blue and white. Black and Green especially get the shaft on having the worst rare retrace card, although green probably moves up a bit because of retrace favoring mana dorks and that treefolk that recovers lands from your graveyard

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 16, 2016

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Angry Grimace posted:

Honestly doesn't seem particularly great or even powerful to me. It's fine, it reminds of MM15 combined with VMA, except without battle screech and lots of the archetypes are garbage. It's balanced reasonably well, but I guess I just don't find it interesting.

I didn't really mean power level just value of packs opened. The value of some cards that have never been printed in foil and older cards that people want for commander decks.

I think it is a fun set to draft, not too complicated but enough tricky cards to find simple synergies. The echo and vanishing creatures with cards like Field of Souls seems pretty good in limited. All the enchantresses and auras also seem like a good draft choice. Even elves and goblins get some love. Not an OP set but one that allows for older players to come back for nostalgia without having to learn 10 new creature abilities per block.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, they're spoiling Emrakul on Monday. The official previews for Electronic Dance Music don't start until the 27th, but there's some kind of video-thing they're doing to just show you whatever the issue is on Innistrad, maybe 4 or 5 cards.

Spoiler:

Jace: "Aw, son of a bitch!"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm curious if we'll see new oaths

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Maybe an Oath of Sorin to "round out" the cycle introduced in OGW, but there from my perspective there hasn't really been a focus on planeswalkers buddying up in this block the way they were in BFZ-OGW.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Oath of Sorin - BW - Make two vampire tokens with lifelink, gain some life when you play a planeswalker.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Rinkles posted:

Oath of Jace 2: For the sake of the tumblrverse, I will sleep with Sorin
Oath of Sorin: For the sake of the multiverse, I will cockblock Liliana
Oath of Liliana: For the sake of the zombies, I will be maybe evil
Oath of Nahiri: For the sake of my fanfic, sempai will notice me
Oath of Emrakul: Blep

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

C-Euro posted:

Maybe an Oath of Sorin to "round out" the cycle introduced in OGW, but there from my perspective there hasn't really been a focus on planeswalkers buddying up in this block the way they were in BFZ-OGW.

Lilliana is going to have a big role. She's the main focus in the original announcement

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Lilliana is going to have a big role. She's the main focus in the original announcement

Oh yeah. Well, my point of possibly getting a black Oath stands.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Frozen_flame posted:

Oath of Jace 2: For the sake of the tumblrverse, I will sleep with Sorin
Oath of Sorin: For the sake of the multiverse, I will cockblock Liliana
Oath of Liliana: For the sake of the zombies, I will be maybe evil
Oath of Nahiri: For the sake of my fanfic, sempai will notice me
Oath of Emrakul: Blep

Oath of Tamiyo: In the name of the Moon, I will punish evildoers! :japan:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's true but there's a good chance she was the main focus just because they couldn't show Emrakul without spoiling the mystery.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lets Pickle posted:

That's true but there's a good chance she was the main focus just because they couldn't show Emrakul without spoiling the mystery.

At the absolute minimum it suggests there's a Liliana card in the set.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Oath of Tamiyo: In the name of the Moon, I will punish evildoers! :japan:

The card has Tamiyo making a kawaii pose. It becomes the first $10000 card in Sandard

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Frozen_flame posted:

The card has Tamiyo making a kawaii pose. It becomes the first $10000 card in Sandard
The art is literally her in the sailor mercury outfit doing the same pose.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I only appreciate Sailor Moon Sage in the original Japanese

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

poo poo I just realised now someone out there is going to have that as an alter.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So the planeswalkers in this set are going to be Tamiyo (who will be disappointing) Liliana, and ??? Will there even be a 3rd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

suicidesteve posted:

So the planeswalkers in this set are going to be Tamiyo (who will be disappointing) Liliana, and ??? Will there even be a 3rd?

Probably not, there's usually only 2 walkers in a small set. They might sneak an extra one on the DFC sheet if there is one but I wouldn't expect it.

• Locked thread