Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Vote 1 MEOW-MEOW, Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma for Grayndler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BRODTMANN, Gai Australian Labor Party 1
CAHILL, Patricia The Greens 2
BUCKNELL, Christopher D'Arcy Bullet Train For Australia 3
ADELAN-LANGFORD, Jessica Liberal 4

god bless you christopher

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I WANNA BE A TWINK posted:

So many "progressive" voters in here who are putting the Liberal party ahead of Labor. Tree tory is a pretty accurate name for most Green voters.
lmfao

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

V for Vegas posted:

Someone has been watching "Super Troopers" too many times

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Antony Green is running a guide on senate HTV tickets from submissions he receives from the parties.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/snsw/htv/

I'm confusing myself about whether I should keep numbering after 6, to outline bad to worse, because if 50% of votes (for example) exhaust after 6 preferences there could be weird poo poo with quota's unable to be passed on to further preferences. Antony Green's blog suggests:

quote:

The new electoral system is likely to give the final seats to the parties with the highest partial quotas at the start of the count, which is why the above table is a useful guide.
http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/06/2016-senate-calculators.html#more

But I'm still a bit fuzzy on whether that will be a good or bad thing.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How many people actually donkey vote? I wouldn't imagine it's more than a few percent, although I guess in a marginal electorate that's enough to make the difference.

Kat Delacour posted:

Antony Green is running a guide on senate HTV tickets from submissions he receives from the parties.

Ta for this. I usually just vote 1 above the line for the Greens but I wouldn't mind preferencing Ricky Muir and I doubt the Greens would do that.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I love this. BETRAYAL! :black101:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

freebooter posted:

Ta for this. I usually just vote 1 above the line for the Greens but I wouldn't mind preferencing Ricky Muir and I doubt the Greens would do that.

Good thing you need to number to 6 ATL now to make your vote formal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

I worked with that guy. he's chill but also totally loving nuts.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

norp posted:

Good thing you need to number to 6 ATL now to make your vote formal.
Not really. Because of the bizarre 'savings provisions' you only need to number one box and it will still count.

quote:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/bill_em/ceab2016323/memo_0.html
The instruction to number at least six boxes above the line does not account for a voter's ability, under the new section 269, to number fewer than six boxes. The principal requirement in amended section 239 is to number at least six squares. This requirement is considered to be an appropriate direction to voters to ensure that their vote has a reasonable life upon the distribution of preferences.

The ability to number fewer than six squares is a savings provision to ensure that voters are not disadvantaged by following the practice since 1984 of marking only '1' in one square above the line. Such votes should not be ruled informal; they express a clear voter choice. But the Senate ballot paper instructions will adopt the principal requirement in amended section 239, designed to give a reasonable life to an individual's vote on preference distribution, to number at least six squares.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Looks like the hemp party and sex party running a joint senate ticket. What if you only support either sex or drugs but not both????

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

norp posted:

Looks like the hemp party and sex party running a joint senate ticket. What if you only support either sex or drugs but not both????

Heh, joint ticket

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Gilmore.

RYAN Steve Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group)
SUDMALIS Ann Liberal
McCALLUM Carmel Mary The Greens
PHILLIPS Fiona Labor

I don't have high hopes for my backwoods of an electorate, solidly Liberal since 93. Shame too since I know the Labor candidate personally and she isn't actually evil.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

What if you totes wanna get high, but also believe in the welfare state, government regulation and a modern social democracy?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A younger person who does know how negative gearing works is 25-year-old property investor Stephanie Brennan, who owns seven properties, one of which is negatively geared.

"Negative gearing is a really effective way to minimise your tax and offset obviously the money that you're losing on an investment property," she said.

"If it were to be removed we would see the devaluing of property, particularly in the existing market, and I think that will burden a lot of people."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Laserface posted:

I worked with that guy. he's chill but also totally loving nuts.

I'm shocked that a guy with that name is nuts.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

BRODTMANN, Gai Australian Labor Party 1
CAHILL, Patricia The Greens 2
BUCKNELL, Christopher D'Arcy Bullet Train For Australia 3
ADELAN-LANGFORD, Jessica Liberal 4

god bless you christopher

Hey, fellow Canberra goon, with the least interesting electorate given the incumbents will all be comfortably returned.

I'm the idiot asking for voting advice on the Internet. Given the Senate voting reforms, the only reason to not allocate preferences all the way is if the bottom candidates are all so horrible you don't care which gets in if it comes to that, yes? So it's still in my interests to go all the way in allocating preferences, to put the slightly psychopathic ahead of the complete psychos?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Kat Delacour posted:

I've got no feel how preferences are going to flow under the new rules but looking through those tickets I fear we're going to get a whole bunch of Family First senators.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah, the Liberal HTVs in particular are going to make that unavoidable, but I am hoping that we are largely secular enough that even the average Liberal voter will see "Family First... Christian whaaaat ?" and make their own order.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kat Delacour posted:

the average Liberal voter will see "Family First... Oh, I like families. I'll mark them number 2"

What will actually happen

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Possibly. But I do think Family First has a lot more media recognition for their Christian roots than that. Also there are plenty of people, especially in financially conservative Liberal voting industries like IT and Engineering, who make a point of knowing which religious groups and businesses to boycott.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iajanus posted:

I'm shocked that a guy with that name is nuts.

He has NFC installed in his thumb. for reasons.

its buried under a shitload of weird name google search results but he had a blog where he detailed his drug induced mental breakdown.

Hes apparently the cofounder of the nfc implant company but from my experience with the guy he is probably less of the brains and more of the guinea pig that got co-founder title for having a loving chip put in his hand.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey guys, I got a submission form to submit a question for tonight's Facebook debate with no guarantee it will be asked but I have a form here to ask it.

Can someone ghost write a really good question for me to put in?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Hey guys, I got a submission form to submit a question for tonight's Facebook debate with no guarantee it will be asked but I have a form here to ask it.

'Mr Hildebrand, why don't you kill yourself?'

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Holy hell I hadn't seen that guy's name in years. Fairly certain I worked with a couple people that used to know him within the company I was at at the time, and...well okay I guess nothing seems all that out of the ordinary from what I did hear of him. This is especially notable since one of those people was a magician.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Is "anime", actually, as bad as they say, or ' worse!

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Anidav posted:

Do you use nut milk?

Edit: drat I was hoping that would be a snypa

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

Don't you think the Australian people deserve debates that are held on days other than Friday evenings when they're not at home?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Mr Turnbull, Are you very proud you have shoveled billions of dollars to telstra and ruined Australian internet by delivering a substandard, slow, expensive mess of an NBN, or are your extraordinarily proud?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A legit question tho

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

A legit question tho

Noose, guillotine or firing squad?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Mr. Turnbull, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

You're not the only one, and De Jonge recently ran for Fisher in the state by-election

He's a real estate agent

Thanks for that, his website is just his facebook page with nothing political on it, except stuff from his by-election try.
Does anyone know anything about his policies, or should i just assume he is pro real estate and not much else?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Anidav posted:

Dear Mr Turnbull, you appear to be a proponent of the free market, why then do you support market distorting policies such as negative gearing? Do you not really believe in the free market or are you betraying your own beliefs because it is profitable for you?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Periphery posted:

Dear Mr Turnbull, you appear to be a proponent of the free market, why then do you support market distorting policies such as negative gearing? Do you not really believe in the free market or are you betraying your own beliefs because it is profitable for you?

Okay I'm running with this one.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ask him if he regrets not calling the election last year when he would have romped it in.

[edit: He'll just say that he supports government intervention when it's warranted.]

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You could use my question, maybe it might get some traction:

"Mr Turnbull, you claim to have stopped the boats since the Coalition has been in power. If that is true, why are there still people on Manus and Nauru awaiting processing? It's not like there's more people coming in for processing according to you."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Mr Turdball,

Why are you preferencing gay hating religious extremists ahead of people with moderate views? Has Orlando taught you nothing?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I sincerely hope the facebook debate encounters technical difficulties, especially right around the time someone asks about the NBN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Cartoon posted:

Mr Turdball,

Why are you preferencing gay hating religious extremists ahead of people with moderate views? Has Orlando taught you nothing?

I think this is the best question actually. Do the liberals usually preference the extreme right straight after themselves?

• Locked thread