Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Empress Theonora posted:

hmmm this artist posted in the bad webcomics thread because she's uncomfortable with the way they discuss her work, better breathlessly bring word to the other webcomics thread so they can all talk about it too

Yeah better not talk about webcomics, even slightly in a negative way, lest some interesting discussion break out.

Oh wait sorry, I'll post better. woah poppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

All I'm getting from this (aside from some useful e/n introspection which I'll say thank you for but not bug anybody with) is labels are poo poo and cause more trouble than they're worth.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Renaissance Robot posted:

All I'm getting from this (aside from some useful e/n introspection which I'll say thank you for but not bug anybody with) is labels are poo poo and cause more trouble than they're worth.

As a counterpoint, I think labels are a fine thing as long as you don't think of them as absolutes. It's incredibly comforting to have a name to call yourself to know that you're not the only one out there experiencing that and from that foundation you can reach out and explore the true you rather than just drowning in a sea of possibilities.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I know people here are super paranoid about not resembling the byob thread but it's seriously okay to be critical about comics sometimes and have arguments about things. It certainly makes the thread more readable than the fifty billionth page in a row about "poppy/monster pulse updated and it was good"

I think GTH's main crime is just being mediocre, poorly paced, and derivative. I get the complaints of pandering, not in the sense that there's some sort of cynical attempt to appeal to a demographic, but in the sense that it feels like the author looked at a bunch of things that were already popular and then made a pastiche of them without any real depth/appeal beyond looking to similar to Cucumber Quest etc.

Also caring about what a bunch of nerds in a secluded thread of a pay-to-view forum think of your comic, and buying an account to tell them to stop discussing it is not a good look imo

e: re: labels, I get why some people like using them and coining new ones, but I feel like obsessively labeling and categorizing people into increasingly specific boxes usually just turns into a bunch of anal hair-splitting and otherization. I feel like having super-specific labels for everything misrepresents issues of identity as a series of boxes/requirements you can check instead of a fluid, complex, ambiguous thing that's different for everybody. It is in fact okay to just have normal conversations about your feelings without having to put yourself through a sorting machine.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I kinda feel about GTH like I feel about QC: it's boring, nothing ever happens, or when it happens it's offscreen because the author doesn't feel confident enough in their skills to attempt to illustrate it. And just like QC, the boringness results in passionate goon debates.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

djw175 posted:

As a counterpoint, I think labels are a fine thing as long as you don't think of them as absolutes. It's incredibly comforting to have a name to call yourself to know that you're not the only one out there experiencing that and from that foundation you can reach out and explore the true you rather than just drowning in a sea of possibilities.

Absolutely, I'll concede that (with the caveat that forming groups like that, while comforting, is also itself potentially a lot of trouble as it can and does slide into tribalism very easily)

HorseRenoir posted:

I think GTH's main crime is just being mediocre, poorly paced, and derivative.

Isn't the author literally a teenager

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 15, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
She's 22.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah thats still literally a baby :)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah thats still literally a baby :)

congrats on the big 3 0

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats also still literally a baby

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Registering on a pay forum just to (poorly) respond to criticism on byob isn't the wisest choice

But at least they're not shilling for Star Citizen

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Registering on a pay forum just to (poorly) respond to criticism on byob isn't the wisest choice

But at least they're not shilling for Star Citizen

I think that would have made that one and only post much better, actually.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cat Mattress posted:

I kinda feel about GTH like I feel about QC: it's boring, nothing ever happens, or when it happens it's offscreen because the author doesn't feel confident enough in their skills to attempt to illustrate it. And just like QC, the boringness results in passionate goon debates.

This is kind of my take. I tried to get into it but between A) the over reliance on EXPOSITION DUMPS to deliver what plot it does have and B) the way it rushes past what seem like important character defining moments because gently caress man we can't let plot and characterization delay us from getting to the snuggling and interpersonal drama, it's just really boring.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Girl Genius has thrown a pretty major curveball into the mix. (Err... starting a week ago, but still.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Starting to suspect every mysterious disappearance in the story is going to be down to time travel shenanigans. Not being able to remember half of them sounds like a good excuse for a re-read.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Girl Genius seems like a story I could really get in to if it weren't for the art.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've never really understood that complaint, but then I also enjoy Josh Lesnick's almost caricaturish scribbles so :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I've never really understood that complaint, but then I also enjoy Josh Lesnick's almost caricaturish scribbles so :shrug:

Lesnick's art is messy but it's a cartoonish messiness, you can tell he's got a good grasp of anatomy and action lines. GG's characters look like something you'd see through the glass of a lava lamp, it's a bit off-putting.

I think the comic's better than a lot of people give it credit for - all pacing complaints are totally on the mark but it's still got some great lines, especially when it plays up the radio-hall Weird Science angle - but the Foglios don't draw folks good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Girl Genius has thrown a pretty major curveball into the mix. (Err... starting a week ago, but still.)

That's the weird thing about taking a graphic novel and showing one page every two days, a brief moment of confusion lasts a week. In fact, that's part of why everybody grew to resent the comic during the Battle of Mechanicsburg, the Foglios chose to spend more pages on short moments to show the sheer scale of the entirety of the Baron's grab-bag of forces, which felt like it was wasting the reader's time on a day-to-day basis. That and the fact that the comic up until that point had moved through locales quickly, the heroes never spending more than a couple days in a place in their time, but when they got to Mechanicsburg, Agatha's final destination for most of the comic, they spent at least a couple weeks there.

Starting to suspect every mysterious disappearance in the story is going to be down to time travel shenanigans. Not being able to remember half of them sounds like a good excuse for a re-read.

They really led up to the old Storm King, from Van Rjin's notebook to the muse of time, to Van Rjin's corpse, it sorta follows that the Storm King would follow where Van Rjin is. Hopefully that won't mean that everybody from the Heterodyne boys to Zeetha's village are lost somewhere in the timestream.

One thing's for certain, the Master of Paris is going to be pissed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like the background/scene art in Girl Genius. I guess the very simplistic/cartoony art using for people's face clashes badly with the detailed art of the background? The Foglios love to use extremely exaggerated expressions, which couldn't work with a more realistic art style. (They're also, I must admit, pretty bad at anatomy.)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I think Lesnick's another example of what you said a couple days ago:

even though the visual aspect of ONE's art is unquestionably loving awful, his panel layout and scene construction etc. are top notch

and yeah the art's scribbly but it's scribbly with intent and skill, and it's things like as Oxxidation says "[his] good grasp of anatomy and action lines" which make the comic.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Also I saw Foglio at a con a few years ago and, so god help me, my only thought was "oh, that explains his characters' faces."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

I think Lesnick's another example of what you said a couple days ago:

and yeah the art's scribbly but it's scribbly with intent and skill, and it's things like as Oxxidation says "[his] good grasp of anatomy and action lines" which make the comic.

tbh most of the Lesnick pages I've seen were ugly indecipherable messes. Yeah, the technical skill behind them is evident and I'd bet he could do fabulous things in animation but I don't think his art works very well in a comic format.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

fritz posted:

Also I saw Foglio at a con a few years ago and, so god help me, my only thought was "oh, that explains his characters' faces."

He looks like Benny Hill.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I do too. My chief problem with GG is that nothing seems to... fit? I'm sure there's a better word but let me explain, all the GG characters have these melty faced heads which is weird, but hey I could get past that, I've certainly read and enjoyed comics with weird/bad art before, it's just when you put those on everyone's weirdly giant bodies with their huge hair that poo poo starts to look jarring. His faces and body types don't mesh at all.

Lesnick, to use your example, has very nice characters because even though they're cartoonish or have exaggerated features, they seem to have a consistency to them that Foglio lacks.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 15, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, the Foglios' weird warping and distorting the human form works for expressiveness, but it also makes for absolutely garbage anatomy. That's why Buck Godot is one of their best works. The bulk of the cast is nonhuman and unconstrained by human anatomy, and even the main character is some weird subspecies of human that makes an excuse for his weird anatomy.

And of course, the thing I linked was a page from the internet archive because another thing the Foglios are poo poo at is web design and their website is full of dead links.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't want to apologise for bad art, but honestly the badness in the specific context of this particular comic is what I like. I feel it really complements the lurid penny dreadful/pulp fiction aesthetic of the setting and story, which is good to me because getting a fix of that experience is pretty much why I read it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Gutter Owl posted:

...that had literally nothing to do with my post. How did you miss the point this hard?

Whether or not Fenic likes boys in general or doesn't like boys in general or might gently caress a dude at some point, is completely goddamn irrelevant. Maybe you'd call her bi, maybe she likes lesbian, they are literally words we made up in the last century and argue about all the loving time. There is no parts-dude-per-million limit where your attraction legally goes from gay to bi, unless you're one of those asinine gold-star purists.

Fenic's sexuality is mentioned twice in the comic. Once here, where Leo (and the authorial voice) are teasing Fenic for her crush-thing. Like, idk how it is in YOUR local queer enclave, but where I'm from, "omg you're so loving gay" is just something you say to tease someone with a same-gender crush, regardless of said person's specific sexuality? (Sidenote-wise, there's also a big dumb loving argument in the queer community on Tumblr about whether or not trans women who like women are *real lesbians,* and I'm pretty sure Val is using this opportunity to state her own position on this mess.)

The other time is right before the kiss in question, when Leo basically asks, "but wait, aren't you gay?" To which Fenic's response is a definite "Whatever." That is literally the opposite of "no hetero, bro." It is an expression of apathy, not an expression of caring too much.

The whole queer-platonic thing has nothing to do with straight or gay or bi. It has everything to do with a mid-level between Romantic Relationship and Platonic Relationship. I don't particularly like the term, because the etymology is majorly unclear. (The usage of "queer" here is used in the same context as "genderqueer," which isn't directly related to "queer orientation," because identity-politics-slang is all bashed together with a brick by drunk teenagers trying to figure out how feelings work.) But whatever, she didn't invent the word, and the concept seems entirely reasonable to me?

That's kinda the point? It's not really platonic, but it's not romantic either, so here's a word invented by Tumblr because it's the best anyone's got to hand I guess? It's not like the term even appears in the comic.

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

:agreed:

webcomic artists are like gladiators

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It may surprise you, but President Roosevelt was telling a funny story type lie which we call a metaphor.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

Yeah better not talk about webcomics, even slightly in a negative way, lest some interesting discussion break out.

Oh wait sorry, I'll post better. woah poppy.

woah indeed

Android Blues posted:

It may surprise you, but President Roosevelt was telling a funny story type lie which we call a metaphor.

what? really?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I never really saw the formless faces in Girl Genius as that objectionable, I mean they're not good looking but I've never had any problem telling who's who or what they're doing which puts it in the top quintile of webcomic art. what's really objectionable is doing the exact same five SCIENCE!!!!! gags in a five-page rotation for, what, a decade

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 16, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

fritz posted:

Are you saying that he draws using a mirror?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I never really saw the formless faces in Girl Genius as that objectionable, I mean they're not good looking but I've never had any problem telling who's who or what they're doing which puts it in the top quintile of webcomic art. what's really objectionable is doing the exact same five SCIENCE!!!!! gags in a five-page rotation for, what, a decade

someone said that it was a good comic so i tried to read it, but the face art was so bad that i couldn't

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

what? really?

Like gladiators, webcomic artists exist to amuse us and to die for us.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Hogge Wild posted:

someone said that it was a good comic so i tried to read it, but the face art was so bad that i couldn't

It was a good comic to start years ago, when well drawn comics weren't that plentiful. Now it coasts by on inertia and a need to see how the plot resolves.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nimby posted:

It was a good comic to start years ago, when well drawn comics weren't that plentiful. Now it coasts by on inertia and a need to see how the plot resolves.

Sounds like a metaphor for my life eh
:goonsay:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
For some reason I still like Girl genius. Mainly due to the characters

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

For some reason I still like Girl genius. Mainly due to the characters

I just binged the last 30 months of it due to thread talk and I was pleasantly surprised. The pacing has improved immeasurably and while the faces are very not good they've at least reined in some of the worst excesses.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I want to point out that I think everyone should read Buck Godot, it's miles ahead of anything the Foglios have done.

Like, why the hell are they doing GG when they could do more Buck Godot?

• Locked thread