Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am so ready for this to go down.

If we knew a bit more about the other princes I'd suggest having a joke betting pool to select the next king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am already putting all my money on wobble baby

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

EmmyOk posted:

I am already putting all my money on wobble baby

I want the stoner to win, but not by murdering the likeable princes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I want hisoka to be the new king.

He uses texture surprise to impersonate one of the princes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm hoping for the rabbit scene from The Holy Grail but with the baby at the first Sunday dinner

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah whatever, let's do it anyway.

I'll look up the names later. Pick your heir apparent.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bad Seafood posted:

Ah whatever, let's do it anyway.

I'll look up the names later. Pick your heir apparent.

I pick the Stoner because Morel is the best and he might end up fighting similarly.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I pick the kid with the box because he looks dorky.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i pick kurapica because he's had the most class changes throughout the series and will do so again

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can copy paste your prince with these with the added appeal of how much page real estate they got

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 17, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kurapika's going to deal with Tserriednich (fourth prince, serial killer rear end in a top hat with the eyes), one way or another, and he's established as such a monster that him becoming the king would feel like a loss for the heroes so I'm betting against him. Likewise for the first dude; he just seems to big and obvious and is also a monster, so.

Hm. I want to bet on Woble just because it's funny, but I doubt the baby will really become king. Same for the game-playing boy (box kid in the above picture). Harkenberg (ninth prince, but he's in the bottom-right here) seems like a reasonable bet, though at the same time that makes me feel like he might not live to the end. I want to pick him, because he's a reformist and while apparently something of a dick he also seems like the closest to a good guy who isn't a child among them, but, yeah. All that makes me feel like he might be doomed because him winning (assuming the kids also make it) is too happy an ending.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am expecting Hackenberg to also be quite evil. We should probably also track who is actual a full sibling of whom. Woble is I think the only single child or one of the few.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tserriednich is definitely the longest shot to win here considering he's essentially the villain of this arc and will most likely die horribly.

Benjamin's odds aren't great either.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

EmmyOk posted:

You can copy paste your prince with these with the added appeal of how much page real estate they got

No lie, I thought that was smoke surrounding his head at first.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Definitely this guy. You just know he's got a plan.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was surprised that's what Tyson looked like given the name. I'm not too excited about the spirit monsters and I hope they remain something that only deal with each other.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I doubt the monsters would only interact with each other. How would that even work? However, since their owners don't even seem to be aware of them, much less in direct control, I doubt they'll be taking part in traditional battles with the bodyguards or anything like that. I seem them as more of a disruptive force to the story. Like, say, the serial killer's nen beast ends up in the lower decks killing people randomly and keeps cow-man occupied with the investigation. Stuff like that.

IE: I don't see them as stands at all.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
My vote is the for the insects guy.

Apparently he's the villain? Whatever he'll still win.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 17, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

I doubt the monsters would only interact with each other. How would that even work? However, since their owners don't even seem to be aware of them, much less in direct control, I doubt they'll be taking part in traditional battles with the bodyguards or anything like that. I seem them as more of a disruptive force to the story. Like, say, the serial killer's nen beast ends up in the lower decks killing people randomly and keeps cow-man occupied with the investigation. Stuff like that.

IE: I don't see them as stands at all.

If they are tied to the Princes' lives they may only deal with each other. The succession seems interesting enough without needing them. Then again Togashi knows best so I'm sure they'll be great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

1st Prince Benjamin (Mother Umma)
  • One of the Superior Princes
  • The king's firstborn
  • Military background; athletic, strong
  • Hates Tserriednich; plans to kill him personally
2nd Prince Camilla (Mother Droisille)
3rd Prince Chourai (Mother Touchourei)
4th Prince Tserriednich (Mother Umma)
  • Flesh collector, sadist, butcher; owns the last remaining eyes of the Kurta Clan
  • Kurapika's target
  • Hates most of his siblings, apparently; looks forward to killing them
  • Friends with Harkenburg (allegedly)
5th Prince Tsubeppa (Mother Droisille)
  • Academic background
6th Prince Tyson (Mother Cattrono)
  • Hedonist; men
  • Guarded by Izunabi
7th Prince L'Souris (Mother Droisille)
  • Hedonist; drugs
  • Guarded by Basho
8th Prince Salesale (Mother Swinkoswinko)
  • Hedonist; women
9th Prince Harkenburg (Mother Droisille)
  • Academic background; genius
  • Callous but desires reform
  • Friends with Tserriednich
  • "Trump card of the weaker princes," supported by Woble's mother and presumably others
10th Prince Kachou (Mother Seiko)
  • Hedonist; men, jewelry
  • Guarded by Melody
11th Prince Fuugetsu (Mother Seiko)
  • I got nothing
12th Prince Momoze (Mother Sevanchi)
  • Still a child
  • Guarded by Hanzo
13th Prince Marayaam (Mother Sevanchi)
  • Still a child
  • Guarded by Biscuit
14th Prince Woble (Mother Oito)
  • Still a baby
  • Guarded by Kurapika
The Superior Princes are the four eldest who have a fair bit of political clout and their own personal army reserves. Although Benjamin and Tserriednich have received the most focus, we can assume all four to be heavy hitters for the succession.

After thinking about it for a bit I decided to use "Hedonist" to describe the princes with obvious vices or materialistic shortcomings that could be used against them; a good-looking female assassin, for instance, might have an easier time approaching Salesale, whereas L'Souris might "Conveniently" and "Mysteriously" overdose. These aren't set in stone, however, and are largely informed by knee-jerk impressions and off-handed comments by other characters.

Aside from their various nen beasts, a few of the princes have hunters as bodyguards. You may factor this into their survivability however you wish.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 17, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

Stealing your pictures (and one from MonsterEnvy below me) to make a list of the names of and what we know about the princes. Thanks.

Benjamin, 1st prince. rear end in a top hat, might be a soldier. Has a rivalry with Tserriednich because they're both murderous egomaniacs, and also brothers. Killed a lion with his bare hands.

Camilla, 2nd prince. She's... Pretty, I guess, and wears nice dresses. I don't know. According to Oito she, as well as the others among the four oldest, are "superior princes" with more power and resources, at least. Tsubeppa, Lazarus, and Harkenberg are her siblings.

Chourai (or Zhang Lei, according to the wiki), 3rd prince. He's short and and weird-looking. Another "superior prince". No direct siblings.

Tserriednich, 4th prince. Big bad dude of this arc and the reason Kurapika's involved. Has the last remaining Kurta eyes. Is a pretty boy, a genius, and a serial killer.

Tsubeppa, 5th prince. Seems to be a scientist, given a previous scene where she was in a lab with a test tube and wearing a labcoat.

Tyson, 6th prince. Arrogant and likely to choose bodyguards based on looks, according to Kurapika. No direct siblings. Izunabi (Kurapika's teacher) is one of her bodyguards.

Lazarus (MS calls him "L'Souris"), 7th prince. Was first seen smoking, has an impressive collection of what are either incense burners or bongs. An idiot, according to Tserriednich; his soldiers were among the ones screened by Kurapika's dowsing. Basho (haiku guy) is one of his bodyguards.

Saresare, 8th prince. Has a harem. ...That's it. No direct siblings.

Harkenberg, 9th prince. Extremely intelligent, but doesn't get along well with others, with Tserriednich being the only person among the royal family he considers a friend. Openly critical of the royal family's actions and policies; his reformist attitude has earned him both supporters and enemies. Probably the most powerful of the non-superior princes, a lot of the others have hitched their hopes to him; if the nature of the death match got out after he became king, it would ruin his reputation, so the weaker ones have witnesses ready to blackmail him and are thus hoping for him to ensure their survival through the expedition.

Kacho, 10th prince. Seems interested in jewelry and fashion. Like Tyson, Kurapika considers her to be arrogant and likely to pick bodyguards based on looks. Sister of Fugetsu, who she's been seen with a couple times. Melody is one of her bodyguards.

Fugetsu, 11th prince. She was doing flower-arranging when we first saw her. Unlike the other younger princes she didn't get a bodyguard via website, so unlike the rest of the people at 10 and lower she doesn't have a protagonist or friend thereof protecting her. Sister of Kacho.

Momoze, 12th prince. She was seen sewing once I guess. Is pretty dang young. Sister of Marayam. Guarded by Hanzo.

Marayam, 13th prince. Has some pet hamsters. Was once seen playing a Game Boy or something. Also a kid. Guarded by Biscuit.

Woble, 14th prince. A baby, so Oito, her mother, is the one making all the decisions regarding her. No direct siblings. Guarded by Kurapika.

All of them have nen beasts from the weird pot thing, but none seem to have their own nen. Their nen beasts are influenced by their personality and other factors, and MS's awful translation says something about the host's "affinity for the dead" affecting the beast, so I expect lunatics like Benjamin and Tserriednich to have especially powerful ones, but the beasts aren't under the control of those who spawned them. Judging from the king's words they're supposed to protect the princes, but a "weak vessel" will presumably make a weak beast, resulting in that individual having low chances of survival.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 17, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Momoze, 12th prince. She was seen sewing once I guess. Is pretty dang young. Sister of Marayam. Guarded by Hanzo.

Hanzo is the best.

Ergo, whoever Hanzo's guarding will win.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hanzo was once tricked by a 12-year-old.

Admittedly one of the deadliest, most astute and cunning 12-year-olds in the world, but still.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Hanzo was once tricked by a 12-year-old.

Admittedly one of the deadliest, most astute and cunning 12-year-olds in the world, but still.

But he still triumphed in the end and got to the final round.

Ergo, something something, I just really like Hanzo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nah, I get it.

He's a good guy, or at least goodish.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here a detailed look at them. And rather then guess on who would win. I say lets bet on who bites it first. (After I get some sleep I will update this with some info about each of them. (Edit man it appears that a bunch of us decided to do this at once.)

1st Prince Benjamin, Mother Unma (Shared with Tserriednich.)

2nd Prince Camilla, Mother Droisulle (Shared with Tubeppa, Luzurus, and Harkenburg.)

3rd Prince Zhang Lei, Mother Tang Zhao Li (Shared with none.)

4th Prince Tserriednich, Mother Unma (Shared with Benjamin.)

5th Prince Tubeppa, Mother Droisulle (Shared with Camilla, Lazurus, and Harkenburg.)

6th Prince Tyson, Mother Katrono (Shared with none.)

7th Pirnce Lazurus, Mother Droisulle (Shared with Camillia, Tubeppa, and Harkenburg.)

8th Prince Sale-sale, Mother Swinko-swinko (Shared with none.)

9th Prince Harkenburge, Mother Droisulle (Shared with Camillia, Tubeppa, and Lazurus.)

10th Prince Kacho, Mother Seiko (Shared with Fugetsu.) Appears to be close to her sister, maybe twins.

11th Prince Fugestu, Mother Seiko (Shared with Kacho.) Appears to be close to her sister, maybe twins.

12 Prince Momoze, Mother Sevanchi (Shared with Marayam.)

13th Prince Marayam, Mother Sevanchi (Shared with Momoze.)

14th Prince Woble, Mother Oito (Shared with none)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Kacho's bodyguard is Melody? Changing my vote to her.

I want nothing more out of this series than for Melody's arc to end happily. :unsmith:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, let's see. My bets are on Woble living, while Tserriednich and Benjamin are probably hosed. Chourai is almost definitely dead too. Camilla I don't think will fare well either, though Tsubeppa might have a chance. Harkenberg I can see going either way; I both really want to bet on him becoming king and on him dying, so I can't really call him. If he doesn't die early on and throw things into chaos, he's going to be a major player, at least. Momoze and Marayam I want to live, but the Ant arc showed that children aren't safe here so I can't say for sure. I want the sisters to live too but I don't really know enough to say either way. Lazarus/L'Souris is almost definitely dead I think.

I wish I could tell now if this is going to be a bloodbath or not; while it's obviously going to be chaos, what with all the competing factions, Yorknew was rather light on named character death while the Ant arc (or Greed Island really) massacred a ton of people who received small, medium, and even large amounts of characterization. The king's desire for it to be a massacre and the presence of the nen beasts has me leaning towards bloodbath, in which case I'd be betting on almost everyone dying, but a few things have me not entirely certain it'll work out that way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lol @ the three effort posts about the princes.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

12 Prince Momoze, Mother Sevanchi (Shared with Marayam.)

pretty sure she's literally going to kill everyone on the boat

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Genocyber posted:

Lol @ the three effort posts about the princes.

man this is a confusing arc I kinda need it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This guys got it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Only like 2.5 princes have received any characterization yet, and it's very likely that the rest will die before they become relevant. It's definitely Togashi's style to have a couple of surprise characters who receive unexpected importance in the arc, but 2/3 of these people are going down before you'll get a chance to remember their name, so I wouldn't bother trying yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Their nen beasts are influenced by their personality and other factors, and MS's awful translation says something about the host's "affinity for the dead" affecting the beast

I believe that's a bad translation for saying they're related to the original creator

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Big L is almost certainly going to be one of the first ones to die.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So basically some ancient king used his own nen ability, stronger upon death, to create nen beasts that instinctively protect his descendants (while feeding on their nen). And then at some point the royal family decided to use this phenomenon as part of a battle royale for succession.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

But was he a conjurer or an emitter?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

But was he a conjurer or an emitter?

The pot is a real object, making him a fullbringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Big L is almost certainly going to be one of the first ones to die.

Yeah, Lazarus/L'Souris is the one I'm pretty sure is dead, just like I'm almost entirely sure that Woble's going to survive even if she doesn't become the new king. Actually even more sure; everything about him just screams that he's a corpse-to-be to me. I'm more certain of his death than I am Tserriednich's or Benjamin's; I could see them surviving this depending on how bloody it gets, but Lazarus is dead meat. Chourai seems like he's not long for this world either but I'm not as sure about him as I am about this thread's second-favorite smoker.