Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Congrats on the job LAB, and holy poo poo I can't decide if the white or yellow bird is cuter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Congrats on the job LAB, and holy poo poo I can't decide if the white or yellow bird is cuter

I like the turquoise one in the second picture that looks offended that it's being photographed and not getting food.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Raddy made a sound for the first time :D

He's still very freaked out by the human but he seems chill just watching Mango. Mango and I were playing the yell at me while I play hide and seek game and Raddy went

"peyoou".

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:unsmith: May you're time with your new birb buddy be long and healing for him.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko recently started eating the towel covering his cage, so he got a cardboard barrier (like Ohtori at night). It didn't go all the way up, but he was chewing in one specific spot lower down so whatever. Today I caught him chewing the towel at the top on his shelf perch, so he got his wall extended and is now furiously chewing that instead

Before. He's just had a bath, and that's 'fresh' regurgitation/dunked pellets all over that perch and the bowls

After

I'll extend the rest some other time I'm not made of boxes

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Inko doin' time

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imma gonna hunt you down when I get out copper.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

The hole had mysteriously grown larger by the time he was covered up

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao I love Inko.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Tried to give raddy some grapes and he escaped past me and promptly smacked into the mirror and fell down behind the wardrobe. He seem perfectly fine and had no intention of going back in the cage. Let him chill on the window ledge looking out for a while before netting him.

Meanwhile in mango's cage

"HES OUT HES OUT LET ME OUT LET ME OUT HES OUT HES OUT TWIT TWEE TWOO TWIT TWEE TOO!!!"

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I was reminded this week that Kiwi is still learning to acclimate to being encouraged to leave her cage and getting love all the time. Last week, she started leaving my shoulder to go explore the couch, and now she has a new habit of crawling into my lap because she wants the most scritches she can get.

Having a lap bird is adorable :3:

learnincurve posted:

Tried to give raddy some grapes and he escaped past me and promptly smacked into the mirror and fell down behind the wardrobe. He seem perfectly fine and had no intention of going back in the cage. Let him chill on the window ledge looking out for a while before netting him.

Meanwhile in mango's cage

"HES OUT HES OUT LET ME OUT LET ME OUT HES OUT HES OUT TWIT TWEE TWOO TWIT TWEE TOO!!!"

I'm glad he's getting out and chilling. I can't even imagine how great it must be for him to be able to look out a window, stretch his wings, etc.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:(

Health and safety found no birds on the bottom set of cages, no more than two birds in a cage, they are clean and all have toys. Turns out the person who ether bought the other conure or the other ring neck bitched about conditions on on facebook in between my call and the inspectors visit (giving them time to clean up) and they think it was me, it wasn't.

I have pictures of the parrotlettes I won't embed because it's loving disgusting.

http://imgur.com/BzvNLsY http://i.imgur.com/RwTsMEK.jpg

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Any chance you can send the pictures off to H&S or is it just going to turn into a "They said, they said." slapfight since the inspector didn't see it firsthand? :smith:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
10-1 odds they let it go to poo poo again within 3 months. Send a friend in there acting like a clueless moron to "look at birds" and have the friend then report them.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

lmao I love Inko.

He has such an attitude, I love it

He managed to pull the towel around the edge of the box into the cage and started chewing it (I noticed because he was making angry noises at it), so now the whole side is boxed up, and higher than before

learnincurve posted:

:(

Health and safety found no birds on the bottom set of cages, no more than two birds in a cage, they are clean and all have toys. Turns out the person who ether bought the other conure or the other ring neck bitched about conditions on on facebook in between my call and the inspectors visit (giving them time to clean up) and they think it was me, it wasn't.

I have pictures of the parrotlettes I won't embed because it's loving disgusting.

http://imgur.com/BzvNLsY http://i.imgur.com/RwTsMEK.jpg

"At least they look like they have a bunch of room" :( Was it just that one perch and bowl or is there more out of shot?

(That's better than the conditions of the bird store here)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rearranged area around cage a bit, made room for a large dish on a bookcase next by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LYFvYBlIQ

Defiantly not bathing.

Also a first! Putni taps my hand a bit and then hops onto the far end of my arm and walks up. He's never been that bold before!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

If I die or whatever I'm mailing you Steve because your 'tiels always look super active and happy :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion is a bully. I'm the victim.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Suddenly the RSPCA have decided to give a poo poo. A cynic would say that they care more about someone at the council inspectors office tipping off the place than the birds but they have the picture of Raddy looking battered and the parrotlette photos. Illegal to have more than 2 birds in one cage. Gottum.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's Teeka Thursday

(( oןןǝɥ ))

(( , ^ , ))

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Suddenly the RSPCA have decided to give a poo poo. A cynic would say that they care more about someone at the council inspectors office tipping off the place than the birds but they have the picture of Raddy looking battered and the parrotlette photos. Illegal to have more than 2 birds in one cage. Gottum.

Hell yes, nice job.

Queue the "poor innocent business owner" whining on facebook about this whole matter

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Pion is a bully. I'm the victim.

Steve gets bullied by Ohtori all the time, he'll be used to it (and Pion probably won't try to eat his toes)

learnincurve posted:

Really? Does that apply to all birds, or just parrots/birds of a certain size/something else? It seems like most pet stores have cages of budgies, finches, cockatiels, etc.

Eejit posted:

It's Teeka Thursday

(( oןןǝɥ ))

(( , ^ , ))

Hello cloudBird!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is the thing, there are mentions of cruelty on facebook march 1st someone said the same sort of thing as I did but it's clearly not me. They had to have been given advanced warning by one of the three council inspectors to have known it was me. Apparently I can go down there and pick up paperwork. I think not. I ain't signing poo poo.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Apparently by hanging some kale and Bok Choy from her cage....it sends Cricket a message that she needs to stand across from it, flap her wings and scream at it at the top of her lungs while she rushes in to snag a bite here and there.

Only WHILE I am watching, of course. I guess she thinks it's OK to sit happily and play with it if I am not watching, but if I am paying attention she has to conure rage at it.

Must be a conure thing...silly birb.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve gets bullied by Ohtori all the time, he'll be used to it (and Pion probably won't try to eat his toes)

Really? Does that apply to all birds, or just parrots/birds of a certain size/something else? It seems like most pet stores have cages of budgies, finches, cockatiels, etc.

Hello cloudBird!

Depends on the size of the bird and the licence. They had a licence to keep two birds of any kind in that size cage. Birds must not be able to get beaks into the next cage or poo poo into the next cage because of quarantine. Quite how poo poo got on the outside of the end cage god knows.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

learnincurve posted:

Depends on the size of the bird and the licence. They had a licence to keep two birds of any kind in that size cage. Birds must not be able to get beaks into the next cage or poo poo into the next cage because of quarantine. Quite how poo poo got on the outside of the end cage god knows.

Was just looking at this, it has a table for size requirements for different bird types http://www.swale.gov.uk/licence-conditions-for-pet-shops/

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 16, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I taught Ohtori to pick up and throw/roll a die today

(It took about ten minutes)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He needs a suitable phrase to go with that trick :D

http://www.chesterfield.gov.uk/media/139298/pet-shop-licence-conditions.pdf
Scroll to page 22.

They broke 1,2,3, 4 and the recommendations :( Can't say exactly if they broke the size of cage thing with the smaller birds, only raddy. RSPCA are more than likely going after whoever warned them that there would be an inspection rather than the shop. She gave me her real extension number ^_^

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

learnincurve posted:

He needs a suitable phrase to go with that trick :D

http://www.chesterfield.gov.uk/media/139298/pet-shop-licence-conditions.pdf
Scroll to page 22.

They broke 1,2,3, 4 and the recommendations :( Can't say exactly if they broke the size of cage thing with the smaller birds, only raddy. RSPCA are more than likely going after whoever warned them that there would be an inspection rather than the shop. She gave me her real extension number ^_^

These are good rules, I wish they had some covering stimulation though. The saddest parrot stories are when someone rescues an African Grey or Macaw from a tiny toy-less cage.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

look at the bird riding the rails

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a cockatiel and I moved to a house with wood floors so I'm trying to address his messy eating habits. I bought one of those anti-mess dishes that are basically an enclosed clear lexan boxes with a trough and a perch. It hangs outside his cage and it's in the same place as his old dish. He won't go near it and he hasn't eaten in 24 hours. He'll give in eventually, right? I'm worried his predator avoidance instinct will trump his hunger.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

zoux posted:

I have a cockatiel and I moved to a house with wood floors so I'm trying to address his messy eating habits. I bought one of those anti-mess dishes that are basically an enclosed clear lexan boxes with a trough and a perch. It hangs outside his cage and it's in the same place as his old dish. He won't go near it and he hasn't eaten in 24 hours. He'll give in eventually, right? I'm worried his predator avoidance instinct will trump his hunger.

put his regular bowl next to it with just a few [foods] in it, and hopefully he will un- :derptiel: and see the other food through the clear box.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My parents got a pair of these who built a nest on top of the garage door opener (it's broken so the door is always open).

They're adorable little bastards who are actually real chill when you're in the garage, they'll both sit on a push broom we have hanging on the wall and watch whatever it is your doing.

They got 3 fat little juveniles in the nest with mom and dad right now, the babies are so quiet. Possibly just instinct that keeps them still and quiet when they see big scary humans nearby, but they'll just sit and watch you no matter what you do. I had to get something from the storage space in the loft of the garage and with a ladder I was no more than a foot from the nest. The babies just sat stock still and watched, I could hear the parents fluttering in the rafters nearby.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 17, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

*poke*

https://twitter.com/nukiiiA/status/741207008989192193

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ahaha that's adorable :3:

Edit: I really love that my favorite site to ID wild birds is called Whatbird. It makes me think of someone just holding up a picture going "WHAT BIRD IS? TELL!"

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
More unusual colored quaker babies. They call this lime green one a "cinnamon" variant, which was obviously named by someone that's never seen cinnamon in their life.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I believe that's a key lime variant :colbert:

(Babiessssssssssssssssss)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

They look like such a happy babby.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

They say doin' hard time changes a bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Eejit posted:

It's Teeka Thursday

(( oןןǝɥ ))

(( , ^ , ))

(( ooqɐʞǝǝd ))