Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah that makes sense, but my question was more about why these guys are riding the wrong way down the bike lane.

When I was growing up, we were told to ride into oncoming traffic because "it makes it easier for you to be seen."

Then, someone figured out that not only are you not able to be seen more easily, but collisions are much more dangerous--instead of being bumped gently from behind (and having a chance to avoid a wipeout), you slam headlong into a vehicle headed the opposite direction and are drat lucky if you don't end up in the ER.

Unfortunately, not everybody got the memo, so they continue to ride against the flow of traffic, teach their kids to do so, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When I was growing up, we were told to ride into oncoming traffic because "it makes it easier for you to be seen."

Then, someone figured out that not only are you not able to be seen more easily, but collisions are much more dangerous--instead of being bumped gently from behind (and having a chance to avoid a wipeout), you slam headlong into a vehicle headed the opposite direction and are drat lucky if you don't end up in the ER.

Unfortunately, not everybody got the memo, so they continue to ride against the flow of traffic, teach their kids to do so, etc.

I STILL get told both. If I'm on my bike, no matter what direction in going, someone else on a bike is going to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't understand any grown rear end adult that can't figure out poo poo like elevators and busses. You let people leave, THEN you get in. You don't just barge in the second the doors open and you certainly don't just stand slack jawed in front of the open doors as you block everyone with your enormously obese Jastiger rear end. I don't care if you're from some backwater hellhole like Des Moines that barely has electricity and this is literally the first time you've ever seen an elevator in your sorry life, it's not hard to figure out - and yet seriously half the time I use an elevator in a public venue I get plowed into by some oblivious fatty as I'm trying to exit.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tiggum posted:

I wish someone would steal your bike. And any bike you get to replace it. Get off the loving footpath.

It doesn't matter whether it's legal or not, because cyclists are unlicensed and not held to account, and a large proportion of them absolutely do not care about safety or legality.

I'm sympathetic to law-abiding cyclists who complain about drivers doing dangerous things on the roads, but if their solution to this problem is to ride on the footpath or break the road rules themselves then they instantly lose the moral high ground and can go gently caress themselves.

As a pedestrian who was nearly flattened this morning by a cyclist pedaling furiously between pedestrians on the sidewalk this morning, thank you for this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish bikes would use the sidewalks, as they are fragile human beings sitting on top of (instead of safely inside) metal devices and I legit worry I'm going to hit them as they flit around.

Fortunately even in the burbs this issue is relegated to the actually-in-a-city areas. The burbs proper have uncrowded sidewalks and nobody gives a poo poo if you're biking on them.

E: vvv Bike lanes scare me even more, since they take a chunk of road out for the lane, so my lane is thinner and I always get the impression that cyclists are real close to me. Where I live the bike lanes are distinct from the road and merge into sidewalks, which is much better.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jun 16, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Good cities have good bike lanes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

MisterBibs posted:

I wish bikes would use the sidewalks, as they are fragile human beings sitting on top of (instead of safely inside) metal devices and I legit worry I'm going to hit them as they flit around.

Fortunately even in the burbs this issue is relegated to the actually-in-a-city areas. The burbs proper have uncrowded sidewalks and nobody gives a poo poo if you're biking on them.

E: vvv Bike lanes scare me even more, since they take a chunk of road out for the lane, so my lane is thinner and I always get the impression that cyclists are real close to me. Where I live the bike lanes are distinct from the road and merge into sidewalks, which is much better.

So you'd rather pedestrians be hit by bikes than sustaining damage to your car? If you think a cyclist going 20 mph is more fragile than an old man going 2 mph, I don't know what to tell you.

I've seen bike lanes separated from the road by a curb, which is a possible way to save idiots from themselves in some cities. But really what we need is loving awareness. Pay loving attention to things that can kill you or people you could kill, and accidents would happen a lot less. Of course, that's true of anything, but...people are shits.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maggie Fletcher posted:

So you'd rather pedestrians be hit by bikes than sustaining damage to your car? If you think a cyclist going 20 mph is more fragile than an old man going 2 mph, I don't know what to tell you.

Damage to my car? No, I mean damage to them!

I think the ultimate issue is the nature of the spandex-clad cyclist on some high-end bike, frankly. Too slow and too fragile compared to cars for roads, too fast and too dangerous to pedestrians on sidewalks. It's a hybrid that doesn't really slot in well anywhere.

E: related, the Chicago Tribune had an article about bike safety a while ago, and they came to conclusion from the data that those in the city who use its bike-sharing services are much less likely to be in accidents. Among the reasons are that the bikes are heavier and slower than enthusiast's bikes (and they don't have helmets, lowering the riders sense of invulnerability), meaning they aren't speeding around like madpeople.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jun 16, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Tiggum posted:

I wish someone would steal your bike. And any bike you get to replace it. Get off the loving footpath.

If I couldn't ride the footpath, it would be literally impossible for me to get back to home safely. I would have to do insane poo poo like bust across 4 lanes of traffic on a busy rear end street into another busy rear end street. Thank you, but I'm not going to get struck by a car just because pedestrians are too busy staring at their phones.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
whoops wrong thread

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Jun 16, 2016

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I ride on the path but go slooooooow even down hills. I will only go noticeably above walking speed when the path is long, straight, clear, and has nothing that can pull out on me from the sides i.e. literally no danger to anyone because there's no one. Ultimately, journey times are barely an improvement above walking speed especially with my tendency to not even ride up hills (lol).

One annoyance is people tutting at me for riding along the canal path and wanting to get past them even though it's part of the national cycling network and I'm overtaken by actual cyclists every time.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

The obvious answer is is you can buy a 36 from a certain brand and would have to go to the big&tall section for a 44+ in another brand, you'll always go to the one that tricks you into thinking you're a 36. Being honest doesn't make the most money.

Same thing happens with fitness wearables. You're never going to get a completely accurate picture of how many calories you're burning no matter the brand, but used to be you could at least get a ballpark figure. The old Bodymedia trackers from like a decade ago were accurate to within 10% of actual calories burned (according to oxygen calorimetry) and they usually underestimated. Nowadays fitness trackers - even high end ones - will overestimate calories burned by as much as 150%. It's a race to the bottom of inaccuracy because people want to buy the one that tells them they're working the hardest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

The burbs proper have uncrowded sidewalks and nobody gives a poo poo if you're biking on them.
Pretty sure people give a poo poo. I don't care how uncrowded the footpath is it, get your loving bike off it. It's a vehicle, it goes on the road.

A White Guy posted:

If I couldn't ride the footpath, it would be literally impossible for me to get back to home safely.
Walk.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The 9 miles from home to work? I think I'll take the angry tut-tuing of fat internet nerds and old women over walking that bullshit.

Also, bike pet peeve: When I'm biking down a suburban street and some moron in a car starts following me, right on my rear end, super slow. There's this whole wide street, and yet minivan soccer mom wants to get right up on my rear end on the side of the loving road and drive 11 MPH.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure people give a poo poo.

Not really. If we're facing each other we can see each other coming from 50 feet away, and if we're going the same direction I'll ring my ringer, say "on your right", and divert onto the grass.

That's, of course, assuming a twice-per-hour interaction between me on a sidewalk and someone who isn't on a bike on the same sidewalk.

Tiggum posted:

I don't care how uncrowded the footpath is it, get your loving bike off it.

Nope, it's perfectly fine here. I've asked the cops multiple times when I started riding again (and wouldn't be if I had to be on the road, that's for the large machines that are dangerous to bike-riders) and they've told me its fine.

Are you just jealous/mad that I live in an uncrowded-enough area where I can bike in the safest-for-all-involved location?

If more cyclists rode like me (upright, without spandex or drop handlebars trying to roleplay as Lance Armstrong, speeding like crazy people), they'd be less dangerous to pedestrians. :colbert:

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Jun 17, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't normally notice cyclists but I've had to huddle in a hedge to avoid two the past two days on my very short walk home from the train, they're cycling on the footpath beside an extremely quiet road when there are cars parked on the footpath and pedestrians walking in the available 2.5 feet of space. Why???? They do say thanks when I move but mate I don't have much choice do I???

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, I have the WORST diarrhea right now. As I type this I am constantly releasing a splattering waterfall of liquid poo poo out of my rear end. Literally the entire floor is a swamp of my own poo poo that has piled up from constantly falling out of my rear end as I poo poo it out, farting intermittently and splattering more poo poo with my farts. Goddamn this is a mess. Just a massive mess of liquid diarrhea poo poo splatters. Right now my rear end is going all PPPPLLLLPPPPPFFFFFFFFPPPLLLLLFFFFFFFFFTTTTFFFFFF as poo poo splatters out endlessly, farts exploding, my rear end cheeks jiggling and vibrating like hairy waterballoons as more farts fart out with new waves of liquid splattering poo poo. Yessir it looks like I got myself a real case of the farty splatters on my hands, you guys. All you folks with your problems and pet peeves, be thankful you're not me right now. Or my carpet LOOOOL

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Are you just jealous/mad that I live in an uncrowded-enough area where I can bike in the safest-for-all-involved location?

No, I'm just sick of dickheads like you buzzing past me at high speed when I'm tying to loving walk somewhere.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

No, I'm just sick of dickheads like you buzzing past me at high speed when I'm tying to loving walk somewhere.

I'm in complete agreement with you that there's too many of those type of cyclists, making cyclists into a hybrid that has no proper space in modern transit. Like I said, too slow for where the cars are, too fast for where the pedestrians are.

To be perfectly frank, though, I'm getting this vibe that a cyclist could call our their location long before they get to you , get past you in an instant, and you'd run to your computer and rant about someone who came out of nowhere silently and barely avoided hitting you.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
When I can't reach someone by phone who not a minute before was able to send me an email from their work computer. What the hell dude, are you scared to talk business on the phone but fine mailing me poo poo?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Helios Grime posted:

When I can't reach someone by phone who not a minute before was able to send me an email from their work computer. What the hell dude, are you scared to talk business on the phone but fine mailing me poo poo?

Sorry, but one of my annoyances is people who do that. I write an email telling them things, 10 seconds after they get it they call and say "come to my office to discuss this". If I wanted to go talk to you I would have. I sent an email for a reason - either I was already in a meeting with someone and had a sudden thought, was about to meet with someone, was about to go home/to lunch/the bathroom, whatever. People not reading emails I spent a lot of time writing drives me crazy. Sometimes there needs to be a permanent record of work-related conversations so you can point it out when they say next week "why'd you do it this way? I never told you to do this" after telling you to do exactly that over the phone.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Yeah but when you want me to do something ASAP and I need more parameters/discuss different options I won't waste time to make a nice email. Also I'm talking about someone in another country not in the same building.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

To be perfectly frank, though, I'm getting this vibe that a cyclist could call our their location long before they get to you , get past you in an instant, and you'd run to your computer and rant about someone who came out of nowhere silently and barely avoided hitting you.

It doesn't matter if you call out, because I've got my headphones on and am not constantly on guard for dickheads on bikes who should be on the road anyway.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It doesn't matter if you call out, because I've got my headphones on and am not constantly on guard for dickheads on bikes who should be on the road anyway.

having your headphones on at a volume where you cannot hear someone calling out to you, as a pedestrian, is dangerous for a multitude of reasons

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Blue Star posted:

Ugh, I have the WORST diarrhea right now. As I type this I am constantly releasing a splattering waterfall of liquid poo poo out of my rear end. Literally the entire floor is a swamp of my own poo poo that has piled up from constantly falling out of my rear end as I poo poo it out, farting intermittently and splattering more poo poo with my farts. Goddamn this is a mess. Just a massive mess of liquid diarrhea poo poo splatters. Right now my rear end is going all PPPPLLLLPPPPPFFFFFFFFPPPLLLLLFFFFFFFFFTTTTFFFFFF as poo poo splatters out endlessly, farts exploding, my rear end cheeks jiggling and vibrating like hairy waterballoons as more farts fart out with new waves of liquid splattering poo poo. Yessir it looks like I got myself a real case of the farty splatters on my hands, you guys. All you folks with your problems and pet peeves, be thankful you're not me right now. Or my carpet LOOOOL

Do keep us updated.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Helios Grime posted:

For me this is pretty much the case. "Afraid" isn't the right word I guess, but I do get anxious about phone calls because I have a horrible memory (really bad ADD) and if we talk on the phone I am not going to remember our conversation unless I take rigourous notes, but if we email I can look back on what we discussed. I hate when a customer I've been emailing calls me because they have questions or whatever and I feel like an idiot because I don't remember talking to them at all and have to waste their time while I look for our email chain to figure out what they're talking about.

I should probably get on medication or something :saddowns:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I knew the other shoe would drop on this eventually. And to think, in 50 years this post will have a "I also had my VR goggles at full opacity" line!

Let's make it a pet peeve: people who don't abide by the one-ear-in-public, two-ears-at-home headphone policy. If you're not alone, you're not creating isolation, you're just blinding yourself to important sounds around you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I knew the other shoe would drop on this eventually. And to think, in 50 years this post will have a "I also had my VR goggles at full opacity" line!

Let's make it a pet peeve: people who don't abide by the one-ear-in-public, two-ears-at-home headphone policy. If you're not alone, you're not creating isolation, you're just blinding yourself to important sounds around you.

Even beyond that, I just don't get it. Do you really need a music background track every waking hour of the day? Especially if you're hiking or somewhere other than a large city, would it kill you to put the ipod away and listen to a bird or something?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Murphy Brownback posted:

Even beyond that, I just don't get it. Do you really need a music background track every waking hour of the day? Especially if you're hiking or somewhere other than a large city, would it kill you to put the ipod away and listen to a bird or something?

They don't use iPods anymore Cecil, it's all on their phones

Now leave the youngin's alone and let's get back to the TV room, it's almost time for Matlock

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

people who don't abide by the one-ear-in-public, two-ears-at-home headphone policy.
That is an incredibly dumb policy. Who even does that (aside from you)?

Murphy Brownback posted:

Kids these days with their walkmans, right?

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

MisterBibs posted:

one-ear-in-public

I don't understand how/why people do this. It annoys the poo poo out of me to only hear something in one ear. Is it just a thing people get used to? My step-mom and her adult children all do this constantly. They literally won't leave home without their headphones in one ear, whether they're going to the store, a restaurant, a family outing or whatever.

I also have an audio processing issue that makes it incredibly difficult for me to hear/understand things people are saying to me if there are too many other noises around, so maybe I'm biased. Like, if I'm in even a slightly loud area and people talk to me, even if the volume is fine I just can't process the words. I feel like an idiot asking "what?" five times in a row. Then, a lot of the time, I just give up and pretend I understood. Listening to music on one side while trying to focus on other things AND having people talk to me sounds like my own personal hell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look, if I wanted to interact with or be more than vaguely aware of people when I'm out in public, I'd...um...it's never really come up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nettles Coterie posted:

I don't understand how/why people do this. It annoys the poo poo out of me to only hear something in one ear. Is it just a thing people get used to? My step-mom and her adult children all do this constantly. They literally won't leave home without their headphones in one ear, whether they're going to the store, a restaurant, a family outing or whatever.

I also have an audio processing issue that makes it incredibly difficult for me to hear/understand things people are saying to me if there are too many other noises around, so maybe I'm biased. Like, if I'm in even a slightly loud area and people talk to me, even if the volume is fine I just can't process the words. I feel like an idiot asking "what?" five times in a row. Then, a lot of the time, I just give up and pretend I understood. Listening to music on one side while trying to focus on other things AND having people talk to me sounds like my own personal hell.

Nobody's saying you have to talk to people while listening to music, it's about being able to hear someone shouting "hey rear end in a top hat, get out of the way" or "look out you're about to walk into traffic" at you.

It's not even a "kids these days" things. It's unsafe and if you really need music playing near 24/7 it indicates to me you have some kind of mental disorder. The fact that Tiggum has strong opinions supporting this practice makes me believe that even more.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lifehax: You always have the right of way as a pedestrian even if you are jaywalking with earphones in and a bag over your head. Anyone hits you with a bike or otherwise you get to sue them. Walla!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I hear they're adding "does not share my personal preference" as a sign of mental illness to the DSM-Whatever We're Up To soon.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
the words "chance" and "risk" aren't interchangeable, and unless you're hoping to sustain a serious injury or contract HIV, the virus that cause AIDS, you're using "chance" wrong.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Lifehax: You always have the right of way as a pedestrian even if you are jaywalking with earphones in and a bag over your head. Anyone hits you with a bike or otherwise you get to sue them. Walla!

No? While you do always have the right of way, you don't always have the right to the road, per se. What this means is that if you blatantly stroll out into traffic and get flattened like the idiot you are, you're going to have a very hard time proving in civil trial court that the accident was clearly the other parties fault - after all, you didn't bother to take the necessary precautions for your own safety. That being said, if you're in a marked cross-walk and some moron flattens you, the accident is almost always their fault. If you live in a non no-fault state, they get to pay your medical bills, and you get to take them for every dollar they're worth in civil court.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just murder everyone who does something you dislike, walla!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MisterBibs posted:

Get a cheap air horn and scare the poo poo out of the oblivious people. Ideally I wish sidewalks around cities could be widened by double or triple, then put a barrier down the middle - left side is walking, right side is cycling, keeps people separated and less likely to get hurt. Someone walks or bikes on the wrong side and gets hurt, it's their own stupid fault for improper use. Keeps both cyclists and pedestrians off the drat streets and away from cars where they don't belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Post your least favourite pet peeve: