Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a point where Joe Mad was the X-Men house style and Bob Harras brought in a half dozen guys to mimic his art. Roger Cruz, Renato Arlem, Manny Clark and others, all of whom ended up working at Image shortly after. DC did the same things with Deodato and brought in Ed Benes and another guy who could also mimic his style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guess I'll bring this bit over to the new page.

Speaking of fonts, I never thought word balloons could really get interesting these days with hand lettering gone, but American Alien really got me to appreciate this dude named John Workman, and this week he's popped up on Tom King's Batman. I'm stoked.

That just seems way more lively than the usual. The M's and W's!
I'm just learning he did Simonson Thor too. C'mon now.

Anyone else pay attention to modern letterers? It's probably the last step to achieving maximum fuckin dork rear end comic dork status :)

e: 99 Sonic The Hedgehog appearances :cool:
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/john-workman/4040-21173/issues-cover/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

John Workman loving owns and I'm certain that typeface is based on his hand-lettering from way back when. Is he still erasing panel borders when the balloon abuts the panel edge? Because that owns, and shows how completely confident he is in his work. He knows balloon/box placement well enough that not only can he lay down words without offending panel layouts, he can enhance page layouts.

I have a giant nerd crush on Workman's lettering work.

e: Actually that looks hand-lettered. The S's and E's all look different. :syoon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That would be amazing.

I feel like fonts meant to look like hand lettering should all have a few slight variations to each letter that come in randomly.
No idea if many do, or there are any programs to facilitate that, but I've definitely been distracted by uniform e's an poo poo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 16, 2016

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Super Dan posted:

The Hitman series started in 1996, you're probably confused because they started reprinting the trades in 2009.

Yup. Clearly confused. Please ignore me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ecavalli posted:

ignore me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone else pay attention to modern letterers? It's probably the last step to achieving maximum fuckin dork rear end comic dork status :)

Orzechowski or death!

(actually Workman is awesome too but man, Tom Orzechowski)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That would be amazing.

I feel like fonts meant to look like hand lettering should all have a few slight variations to each letter that come in randomly.
No idea if many do, or there are any programs to facilitate that, but I've definitely been distracted by uniform e's an poo poo.

There are OpenType fonts that have that feature. I think the common name for them are alternates. I've never made a custom fontt, but most of them look like they just do multiples of letters and apply code somewhere to cycle them, or creating a whole bunch of ligatures. Photoshop and Indesign have auto alternate features with texts, and some custom fonts do context aware letter changes I think.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PenguinKnight posted:

There are OpenType fonts that have that feature. I think the common name for them are alternates. I've never made a custom fontt, but most of them look like they just do multiples of letters and apply code somewhere to cycle them, or creating a whole bunch of ligatures. Photoshop and Indesign have auto alternate features with texts, and some custom fonts do context aware letter changes I think.

Oh, that's neat. Last time I looked into it was a guide from Todd Klein and he would do an uppercase and lowercase font and would manually press "shift" to cycle between the two.

One automatic thing he used was auto substitution for letter pairs. Anything that looked goofy next to each other, he'd make a custom pairing that would drop in when he typed those two letters. Most useful when the letter shapes made the kerning look weird or when doing cursive and the tails not lining up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thanks for the responses yesterday, everybody. I appreciate the help :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm about to try to switch from monthlies to trades. How the hell do I keep up with what's being released and what's good and what crosses over with what and all that other rigmarole?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Follow the monthly solicits and take notes?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

I'm about to try to switch from monthlies to trades. How the hell do I keep up with what's being released and what's good and what crosses over with what and all that other rigmarole?

Read BSS!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the hell is going on with the new Miracleman Silver Age? I've been waiting 25 loving years. It was suppose to be out by now wasn't it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

What the hell is going on with the new Miracleman Silver Age? I've been waiting 25 loving years. It was suppose to be out by now wasn't it.

I think Buckingham had something he wanted to do first and Neil wont finish the arc without him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah but from what I understood three issues were already finished and ready to go then they got pulled from solicits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but from what I understood three issues were already finished and ready to go then they got pulled from solicits.

quote:

Miracleman by Gaiman & Buckingham #6 (MR)
Writer: Gaiman, Neil
Artist: Buckingham, Mark
Cover Artist: Buckingham, Mark
* The cast of the Golden Age converges on London to remember, to renew and to rejoice. * Miracleman walks amongst the London's Day crowds searching for answers -- before revealing a miraculous gift to humankind!
* Then, in 'Retrieval,' HE wakes up...and the Silver Age begins!
* Including material originally presented in MIRACLEMAN (1985) #22, plus bonus content. Mature

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=7988

The last one they released was #6 which reprinted issues #22 of the original series. That series ended at #24 and #25 was completely drawn, inked and lettered before Eclipse went tits up. Last I heard (March) Buckingham had not even started drawing any "new" Miracleman comics yet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rhyno posted:

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=7988

The last one they released was #6 which reprinted issues #22 of the original series. That series ended at #24 and #25 was completely drawn, inked and lettered before Eclipse went tits up. Last I heard (March) Buckingham had not even started drawing any "new" Miracleman comics yet.

Well we know he has at least the next issue of it finished they've been showing off panels through out the years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Well we know he has at least the next issue of it finished they've been showing off panels through out the years.

That's pretty much what I said? #25 is the issue in question. It was fully printed in B&w in the Kimota book I believe.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't understand why they stopped with previously published material still waiting, though. It's not even like they finished out Golden Age; why this months-long delay for no apparent reason?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I don't understand why they stopped with previously published material still waiting, though. It's not even like they finished out Golden Age; why this months-long delay for no apparent reason?

Who knows, there's probably some logistical side of it. Maybe Gaiman and Buckingham aren't ready to do the new book so they took the other issues off the schedule?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here's my question, since another thread brought it up: What was the first issue that did the recap page and is there some sort of interview or oral history of who at Marvel came up with the idea and for what reason? Because it's such an obvious idea it's kind of difficult to believe they haven't always been around, even though they're, what, an invention only implemented this century as far as I can tell?

Also, totally unrelated question: If we consider themes of comics decades like the 60s being the True Silver Age and the rise of Marvel, the 70s being the death of The Silver Age (along with Gwen Stacy) and the rushing in of politically/socially conscious comics on the back of the Bronze Age, the 80s being the invention of the event crossover and the line-wide reboot with Secret Wars and Crisis respectively while also inventing the "truly dark" commentary comic like TDKR, Killing Joke, Watchmen, and Death in the Family, and the 90s being...well, the loving 90s with creator-owned comics, artist-driven comics, the collector market, events that CHANGED EVERYTHING like Death of Superman, Electric Blue Era, Knightfall, Clone Saga, and the near-collapse of the industry, what do you think the 00s "themes" are? The 2010s?

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 17, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Here's my question, since another thread brought it up: What was the first issue that did the recap page and is there some sort of interview or oral history of who at Marvel came up with the idea and for what reason? Because it's such an obvious idea it's kind of difficult to believe they haven't always been around, even though they're, what, an invention only implemented this century as far as I can tell?

Marvel implemented a feature called "Your Guide to the Marvel Universe" in the 90's which was a gatefold cover that had all the things you needed to know on the inside flap but I doubt that was anything close to the first recap page.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They started in 1997 the month after the Minus One issues. They were almost always a double splash page on the inside fold out covers. Not every book had them but most of the bigger, longer running ones did.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jesus Christ does that ever look like babby's first late '90s QuarkXPress project.

I'm the Spider-Man face logo w/ white drop shadow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel's art direction of that era was really, really bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Jesus Christ does that ever look like babby's first late '90s QuarkXPress project.

I'm the Spider-Man face logo w/ white drop shadow.

Design by COMICRAFT (JG/JM)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was it Ultimates that had the modern recap page first? I remember the presentation being so slick, I wondered why nobody did it sooner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

Was it Ultimates that had the modern recap page first? I remember the presentation being so slick, I wondered why nobody did it sooner.

At first they had this design:

And then they switched to this, which is kind of the genesis of the modern design:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm really loving USG's approach to it with a twitter timeline but I'm already worried it'll look hilariously dated like those old Apple OS-rear end looking recap pages for US-M.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm really loving USG's approach to it with a twitter timeline but I'm already worried it'll look hilariously dated like those old Apple OS-rear end looking recap pages for US-M.

Everything will look dated eventually, just roll with it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The difference is that USG probably won't be remembered in 16 years. I'm not saying that as a knock on the book, but it's no Ultimate Spider-Man. Also all the digital versions of those books leave out the recaps and the letter pages. Unfortunately so for the latter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

At first they had this design:

And then they switched to this, which is kind of the genesis of the modern design:

Sounds right. I started reading the Ultimate universe with Ultimate Spider-Man #21, which was the second Green Goblin storyline, to coincide with the first Spider-Man movie. Just to make you feel old.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

Sounds right. I started reading the Ultimate universe with Ultimate Spider-Man #21, which was the second Green Goblin storyline, to coincide with the first Spider-Man movie. Just to make you feel old.

So as pictured there, that was literally when they switched it up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jeeze I'm surprised the recap page is so (relatively) recent. You would think something like that would've been thought of way sooner.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That sort of thing used to be presented diegetically, or briefly in a narration caption on the first page. This led to characters seeming to feel a need to declaim their names, powers, sometimes origins, and present situations every few hours of their lives.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

So as pictured there, that was literally when they switched it up.

Seems so. Your post was the first time I saw the previous format.

The first X-Men movie started Free Comic Book Day, so maybe the first Spider-Man movie launched the modern recap page.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

X-O posted:

The difference is that USG probably won't be remembered in 16 years. I'm not saying that as a knock on the book, but it's no Ultimate Spider-Man. Also all the digital versions of those books leave out the recaps and the letter pages. Unfortunately so for the latter.

I just opened up the most recent USG on Unlimited and it definitely has the Twitter recaps and a letters page--does the Comixology version drop them or something?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Everything will look dated eventually, just roll with it.

It's not dated, it's an unintended period piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mover posted:

I just opened up the most recent USG on Unlimited and it definitely has the Twitter recaps and a letters page--does the Comixology version drop them or something?

*pulls up USG on comiXology*
Nope, they're still there. Bitch Planet still has its back matter, too.