Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gorn Myson posted:

He was a lone wolf. You can't claim his political affiliations or nationalist views had influenced his decisions. Unlike those loving Muslims of course, who are all responsible for each other and all worship a hateful religious ideology.

Additionally, he was a total mentally ill madman mad person. Unlike any terrorists that are muslim, of course, who are all paragons of sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

The Graun is really pushing the line that the political class is a kind of persecuted minority - hounded by a spiteful, irrational, ungrateful and infantile public at the moment.
In other words Liberalism.txt

simon jenkins is blaming social media

e: before social media apparently there were checks and balances to stop the hatespeech getting out of control (by ensuring it only appears on the front pages of tabloids)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Phoon posted:

where's bse I think the "blame everyone but ourselves" game is now fully established a solid 20 hours after she's dead.

this country is genuinely sick

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Phoon posted:

e: before social media apparently there were checks and balances to stop the hatespeech getting out of control (by ensuring it only appears on the front pages of tabloids)

You see the same thing with gun control too - nobody is prepared for the horrifying possibility of actually struggling to improve social relations, so instead we just ban guns and regulate social media. We accept that our society is full of broken people, but the only way we can think of dealing with it is to isolate them so that their fury (which we will make no effort to remedy) is impotent lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Social media is to blame for the neo-nazi literature he ordered in 1999.

Social media is to blame for the austerity that closed and hamstrung Pathways Centres in the past 5 years.

Social media is to blame for austerity being blamed on scroungers or even on politicians instead of on the capitalist system.

Social media is to blame for the referendum campaigns being a polarized wad of lies and hate.

Social media is to blame for those at the bottom feeling so isolated from the system that they consider terrorism before talking.

Social media is to blame.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

More good stuff from James O'Brien.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Angepain posted:

Additionally, he was a total mentally ill madman mad person. Unlike any terrorists that are muslim, of course, who are all paragons of sanity.

Yep, his own brother said he had OCD and OCD sufferers are renowned for their violent tendencies.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Also apparently Nicola Sturgeon is preparing to negotiate with Brussels for maintaining Scotland's EU membership in the event of a Brexit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Enoch Powell was right. Where else on the spectrum would you put him?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oberleutnant posted:

The Graun is really pushing the line that the political class is a kind of persecuted minority - hounded by a spiteful, irrational, ungrateful and infantile public at the moment.

Read "class is a persecuted minority" and was feeling positive until I came down to earth with a bump

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Also apparently Nicola Sturgeon is preparing to negotiate with Brussels for maintaining Scotland's EU membership in the event of a Brexit.

She's not allowed to. Foreign affairs are a reserved matter and Scotland doesn't have an EU membership to maintain.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

That reminds me that John Harris has another brilliant piece in the Graun today:

Britain is in the midst of a working-class revolt posted:

Hardly anybody talks about the official campaigns, and the most a mention of the respective figureheads of each camp tends to elicit is a dismissive tut – but just about everyone agrees that this is a fantastically important moment, and a litmus test of the national mood.

What must David Cameron make of it all? This story is unfolding, let’s not forget, because of his ludicrous belief that a referendum might somehow definitively address the EU-related divisions in his own party and the public at large – as if a month or so of political knockabout under Queensberry rules could sort everything out, and the country could then go back to normal.

. . .

To be sure, there are many nuances and complications among leave voters. In the inner-city Birmingham neighbourhood of Handsworth, I met Sikh shopkeepers who claimed that the country is full, with just as much oomph as anyone white; in Leominster, Herefordshire, there are plenty of Tory voters gleefully defying Cameron’s instructions, and fixating on questions of sovereignty and democracy.

But make no mistake: in an almost comical reflection of the sacred lefty belief that any worthwhile political movement will necessarily be built around the workers, the foundation of the Brexit coalition is what used to be called the proletariat, large swaths of which are as united as in any lefty fantasy, even if some of their loudest complaints are triggering no end of anxiety among bien-pensant types, and causing Labour a great deal of apprehension.

In Stoke, Merthyr, Birmingham, Manchester and even rural Shropshire, the same lines recurred: so unchanging that they threatened to turn into cliches, but all the more powerful because of their ubiquity. “I’m scared about the future” … “No one listens to us” … “If you haven’t got money, no one cares.”

. . .

It may have been easy to miss in the London-centred haze of the “knowledge economy” and the birth of the digital future, but this is where millions of lives have been heading since the early 1980s – and to read that some Labour MPs have come back from their constituencies, amazed by the views they encounter on the doorstep, is to be struck by a political failure that sits right at the heart of the story. How did they not know?

. . .

Yes, some people – from bigots in the stockbroker belt to raging gobshites in south Wales shopping precincts – are simply racist. But in a society and economy as precarious as ours, the arrival of large numbers of people prepared to do jobs with increasingly awful terms and conditions was always going to trigger loud resentment. For many places, the pace of change and the pressures on public services have arguably proved to be too much to cope with.

Before anyone with a more right-on view of all this explodes with ire, they might also consider the numbers. Between 1991 and 2003, on average about 60,000 migrants from the EU came to the UK each year. Between 2004 and 2012, that figure rose to 170,000. The 2011 census put the number of UK residents from Poland alone at 654,000.
Read more

To state the obvious, that’s a lot. If people had felt more connected to politics, public services had been quicker to adapt, and the Blair/Brown government had opted for transitional controls, perhaps such huge changes might not have triggered quite so much rage and worry.

But such thoughts are now for the birds: for millions of people, the word “immigration” is reducible to yet another seismic change no one thought to ask them about, or even explain.

. . .

If the modern labour market amounts to a mess of uncertainty – something driven as much by technology as corporate greed – it is good to hear so much noise about the principle of a citizen’s income, but disheartening to hear it talked about as something that might only arrive in a few decades’ time, at best.

The most imaginative parts of the political left might have at least some of the answers – but there again, they still seem far too reluctant to confront more troubling matters. One is screamingly obvious: free movement may be an inevitable feature of a world shrinking at speed, but people have good reason to worry about it, and their anger and anxiety will not go away.

I skipped plenty, but it's well worth reading.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

She's not allowed to. Foreign affairs are a reserved matter and Scotland doesn't have an EU membership to maintain.

They're entering talks in case an Independence referendum can be called so they won't be too far down the list or so they can make a case to the government that it'd be possible to negotiate an agreement like Greenland where Scotland would remain in the EU while the rest of the UK would leave.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Tesseraction posted:

That reminds me that John Harris has another brilliant piece in the Graun today:

I skipped plenty, but it's well worth reading.

it's a great article. he's probably the last decent journalist left at the guardian

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

They're entering talks in case an Independence referendum can be called so they won't be too far down the list or so they can make a case to the government that it'd be possible to negotiate an agreement like Greenland where Scotland would remain in the EU while the rest of the UK would leave.

It doesn't change the fact that:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
yes, because in 1962 - when the Keynesian state and the full-employment postwar boom it helmed was at the acme of its power and glory - Britain was so welcoming that it certainly didn't pass the Commonwealth Immigration Act

I mean, really, think a little

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Metrication posted:

it's a great article. he's probably the last decent journalist left at the guardian

And he's the only one who talks to the plebs on the ground, funny that!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

she probably is and probably doesnt care what you or the british parliament think of the matter

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

yes, because in 1962 - when the Keynesian state and the full-employment postwar boom it helmed was at the acme of its power and glory - Britain was so welcoming that it certainly didn't pass the Commonwealth Immigration Act

I mean, really, think a little

what's this in reply to

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Excellent read, thanks for linking. It doesn't make the comparison explicit but the way it describes the feelings behind English nationalism makes it sound like it comes from the same place as "where's white history month/international men's day/etc", which I think is on the money tbh.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

She's not allowed to.

Is there a law preventing her from talking with the EU about potential deals in the future if Scotland can claim Independence or petitioning them to talk with the UK government about a Greenland style split?

Because that's her plan. The government might not like her doing this, but I don't think they can actually stop her doing it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

she probably is and probably doesnt care what you or the british parliament think of the matter

She'd also be showing herself not to care what most people who voted in the Scottish independence referendum think either.

I hope Cameron can do the same with his referendum if the result doesn't go the way I like.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

what's this in reply to

the article, Ronya's point is that people just loving hate immigrants regardless of the economy (the commonwealth immigration act was heavily amended because of strong anti-immigrant sentiment despite the booming economy).

If ronya's point was instead that citizens income wouldn't stop violence then loving lol and get back in your comfort zone

Pissflaps posted:

She'd also be showing herself not to care what most people who voted in the Scottish independence referendum think either.

I hope Cameron can do the same with his referendum if the result doesn't go the way I like.

the context has quite clearly changed and this is acknowledged by the fact that they'd be having another referendum

also, he can, he will

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pissflaps seems to be misapplying part 7 of this section of the Scottish Parliaments Act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/46/schedule/5

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

Is there a law preventing her from talking with the EU about potential deals in the future if Scotland can claim Independence or petitioning them to talk with the UK government about a Greenland style split?

Because that's her plan. The government might not like her doing this, but I don't think they can actually stop her doing it.

I imagine there is some sort of rule that requires the EU not to undermine national sovereignty yes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I imagine there is some sort of rule that requires the EU not to undermine national sovereignty yes.

no, there isn't, they frequently do this. Greece and Portugal are the first two to spring to mind.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

flaps you are all over the place today. get it together

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

the context has quite clearly changed and this is acknowledged by the fact that they'd be having another referendum

also, he can, he will

Why are you assuming there'd be another referendum? There's no referendum planned.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spangly A posted:

the article, Ronya's point is that people just loving hate immigrants regardless of the economy (the commonwealth immigration act was heavily amended because of strong anti-immigrant sentiment despite the booming economy).

If ronya's point was instead that citizens income wouldn't stop violence then loving lol and get back in your comfort zone

also, he can, he will

and john harris specifically talks about the fact that unease has always been in the air and it's the unwillingness of politicians to address it that feeds the anger

I mean yes you can point to the British population always being racist but wow do you need a cookie, his point wasn't that a lovely economy makes people racist it's just that under a lovely economy people are much more likely to be incensed about it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Why are you assuming there'd be another referendum? There's no referendum planned.

because Scotland in the EU vs the UK is a different question to Scotland in the UK y/n and one people will probably want asked, flaps

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, I just read that John Harris piece. He's consistently quite good.

The political class have done a terrible job of actually looking after vulnerable people, be they the unemployed, long-term ill, mentally ill, and not just the precariat but also the traditional working class. Job security has largely disappeared, temporary contracts, zero hour contracts, and yes, an extensive economic realignment focusing heavily on financial services based in one small area of the country which has left an awful lot of people feel disenfranchised. And people feeling disenfranchised is inevitably going to lead to an increase of people looking at extreme ideas. And since frankly the left seems moribund at this point when it comes to actually making the case for its ideas in an effective idea it is hardly surprising that we are seeing a rise in fascism, & fascist violence.

But the problem is that there's no easy answers. The left needs to present its ideas in a way that is more attractive than the sort of knee-jerk otherising of people & then throwing the blame for all our problems on whoever those others may be. I have no loving idea how they do that. Does the left need to embrace a form of isolationism, if not outright xenophobia? It's either that or liberals do the sort of self-reflection on the past 35-40 years of neo-liberal orthodoxy which thus far they've seemed incapable of. Is this the right time to talk about it? Well if liberals are insisting the blame is just social media then I don't know when else you can talk about.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

because Scotland in the EU vs the UK is a different question to Scotland in the UK y/n and one people will probably want asked, flaps

That was already asked 18 months ago.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

no it wasn't, the UK was still in the EU

mate you're flailing here

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Pissflaps posted:

The dynamics of EU integration in the event of UK leaving the EU makes it a fundamentally different question.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

flaps showing cracks after 14 years of troll free pedantry? this referendum holds no hostage

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

But the problem is that there's no easy answers. The left needs to present its ideas in a way that is more attractive than the sort of knee-jerk otherising of people & then throwing the blame for all our problems on whoever those others may be. I have no loving idea how they do that. Does the left need to embrace a form of isolationism, if not outright xenophobia? It's either that or liberals do the sort of self-reflection on the past 35-40 years of neo-liberal orthodoxy which thus far they've seemed incapable of. Is this the right time to talk about it? Well if liberals are insisting the blame is just social media then I don't know when else you can talk about.

The simple answer is that you cannot solve the problem in one country. A Certain Josef S. believed in this kind of solution and it wasn't particularly pleasant for those involved.

An international coalition of labour movements would be your best bet.

But good luck with that we're loving doomed! yaaaaaaaaay

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

no it wasn't, the UK was still in the EU

mate you're flailing here

The question of Scotland staying in the UK or not was asked and answered 18 months ago.

That's why Sturgeon doesn't get to negotiate with Brussels.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Pissflaps posted:

The question of Scotland staying in the UK or not was asked and answered 18 months ago.

That's why Sturgeon doesn't get to negotiate with Brussels.

Not on the same terms.

Yes she does.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pesmerga posted:

Not on the same terms.

Yes she does.

The 'terms' are always changing.

I don't think we'll be having another referendum on anything for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

The 'terms' are always changing.

I don't think we'll be having another referendum on anything for a while.

you're right in that you certainly won't have a say in the matter

• Locked thread