Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Didn't the LP thread get locked because it was really lovely, and people threw an absolute shitfit?

I remember that the thread creator photoshopped that a poster (Internet Kraken or something) had gifted him a game on steam or something and this was the final straw for the mods...?

It was a weird time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Archer666 posted:

I never really understood why they had to kill Shepard in the beginning of ME2. Storywise you could think of a billion better ways to have him in contact with Cerberus if you really wanted to.

They wanted Shepard to be involved with the shady, not-to-be-trusted Cerberus, simple as that. The problem is that Shepard would never willingly work with them under any normal circumstances. Having him die trying to save his crew and then being revived by Cerberus, owing them his life, is a pretty simple solution to that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wasn't it a pretext to let the player redesign Shepard's face, for the people not importing a save?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Weren't people also really pissed that you couldn't import a save into 3 if you let your Shepard die in 2? Seems really odd for fans to have gotten mad at one of the few times your choices actually did matter.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

MisterBibs posted:

You make great points, but I don't think the flaws were disguised as much as players chose to actively look the other way from what was staring you in the face.
The biggest choices are disguised quite well in terms of design.

Let's ask ourselves what the major choices were in ME1:
- Kill the Rachni Queen or let her go.
- Kill the green Asari or let her go.
- Kill Wrex
- Kill Ashley or Kaidan
- Kill the - sorry - let the Council die or don't.

These choices either A: Relate small-time to changes like which characters stand next to you in cutscenes and so on, and usually these characters go away between games anyway, or B: Feel real, because they seem major at the time. Killing the Rachni queen and extincting a race is a monumental decision to make even if you never see the Rachni again either way - it's a pretty cool choice. Letting the council die is an important, cool thing to go out on too.

But in the sequels, the council and the rachni come back anyway regardless of your choices. The point I'm making here is that these choices are made to seem important at the time because they feel like they should have a lasting effect on the world. But the design philosophy of bioware games makes this impossible. Imagine playing through all three games at once, or if this story arc had been released as one large game in the first place. All of a sudden the illusion is gone, there is no 'next game' to wait for with bated breath that will finally provide a world that really changed based on your choices. Bioware are very good at masking a problem with their core design, usually by shifting expectations to the next one, but are yet to come up with a way of fixing it. I think the answer lies in games like Way of the Samurai or Fallout New Vegas, where the sides you pick have consequences and offer completely unique pieces of the game, not just different dialogues or whatever.

Also maybe don't bring the Rachni back after giving the player the chance to kill them all. Come up with another race. Holy poo poo Bioware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hbomberguy posted:

The biggest choices are disguised quite well in terms of design.

Let's ask ourselves what the major choices were in ME1:
- Kill the Rachni Queen or let her go.
- Kill the green Asari or let her go.
- Kill Wrex
- Kill Ashley or Kaidan
- Kill the - sorry - let the Council die or don't.

These choices either A: Relate small-time to changes like which characters stand next to you in cutscenes and so on, and usually these characters go away between games anyway, or B: Feel real, because they seem major at the time. Killing the Rachni queen and extincting a race is a monumental decision to make even if you never see the Rachni again either way - it's a pretty cool choice. Letting the council die is an important, cool thing to go out on too.

But in the sequels, the council and the rachni come back anyway regardless of your choices. The point I'm making here is that these choices are made to seem important at the time because they feel like they should have a lasting effect on the world. But the design philosophy of bioware games makes this impossible. Imagine playing through all three games at once, or if this story arc had been released as one large game in the first place. All of a sudden the illusion is gone, there is no 'next game' to wait for with bated breath that will finally provide a world that really changed based on your choices. Bioware are very good at masking a problem with their core design, usually by shifting expectations to the next one, but are yet to come up with a way of fixing it. I think the answer lies in games like Way of the Samurai or Fallout New Vegas, where the sides you pick have consequences and offer completely unique pieces of the game, not just different dialogues or whatever.

Also maybe don't bring the Rachni back after giving the player the chance to kill them all. Come up with another race. Holy poo poo Bioware.

The Rachni one feels like they wrote themselves into a corner that could easily have been avoided when it crops up again.

To be just the barest shade of fair, the choice to kill Wrex or not does actually affect a big swathe the tone of ME2 and ME3 in the way those choices are supposed to. Having his cousin in power over the Urdnot Clan instead makes saving the Krogans seem like a much less ideal outcome, because he is not the peacemaker Wrex is. He's an rear end in a top hat powermonger and it really starts to look like it could turn into another round of what happened during the Krogran Rebellion.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hbomberguy posted:

I think the answer lies in games like Way of the Samurai

I like you more all the time.

But really WotS are super fun Choices & Consequences games and I'm really hoping that a 5 is getting whipped up somewhere as we speak, cause 4 was fantastic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim Sterling made a video about girl link and dumb excuses made by developers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqv34KlLs9o

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DStecks posted:

Wasn't it a pretext to let the player redesign Shepard's face, for the people not importing a save?

What is even the point of not importing a save. Bioware punishes players jumping into the franchise by giving them the terrible options from the first game as the default settings.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Augus posted:

Surprising a grand total of nobody, that comments section is already comparable to a dumpster fire.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Surprising a grand total of nobody, that comments section is already comparable to a dumpster fire.

A lot of them read like they didn't even watch the video, which they most likely didn't.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Jimbot posted:

A lot of them read like they didn't even watch the video, which they most likely didn't.

They'd probably get madder if they watched the video, considering the first minute. Those Vanquish fans, man. :v:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I actually agree with him on Vanquish. It's alright but I really couldn't get into it. I always found myself gliding into walls and cover all the time. It was very unwieldy to control.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

echopapa posted:

Do you guys remember when Kyle reviewed that creepy stop-motion adaptation of Alice in Wonderland?

Its director, Jan Švankmajer, is eighty-one years old and wants to make one last film before he dies. He’s crowdfunding the project and has enough money to start the film, but he could use some more. You’ve got 19 more days to pitch in if you’re interested.

Signal boosting this

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Mass Effect is what happens when a game is rushed. With the Leviathan and Extended Cut DLCs it at least feels more like an ending to the story. They did imply pre-release that the story could diverge pretty far and they'd planned lots of different outcomes, since it was the last game, and they didn't have to worry about programming all the variants into the next game. The series peaked at 2, which isn't bad, because 2 is pretty good.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Augus posted:

The usage of Erasure alone makes this video great! The argument is also neat, i guess.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Serious video from I Hate Everything where he opens up about anxiety and the problems he's been having with stalkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dlyliVVKQ

And History Buffs reveals that his appeal against the copyright claim for his Agora video was rejected. He's a bit scared and doesn't know whether to fight it or not despite the fact he's clearly in the right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hqh0P_2kM

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

Imagine playing through all three games at once, or if this story arc had been released as one large game in the first place. All of a sudden the illusion is gone, there is no 'next game' to wait for with bated breath that will finally provide a world that really changed based on your choices.

That's what I'm getting at. Did you really need to wait until the third game in the series to realize "wow, my choices up until didn't matter!"? I contend that you didn't if you had half a brain. You're right that as a standalone game ME1 felt like your choices mattered (if for no reason than you could imagine what would happen), but the minute the minute you loaded Mass Effect 2 with a kill-the-council savegame to find the three councilors with different names, you should've realized how little your Big Decisions were going to change the plot.

Maybe I am cynical, but even when I freed the Rachni, I figured they'd funny that bit of story into one result with some dialogue changes. "You freed them but they became bad again" or "You killed them but they were found and they are bad".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

You're right that as a standalone game ME1 felt like your choices mattered (if for no reason than you could imagine what would happen), but the minute the minute you loaded Mass Effect 2 with a kill-the-council savegame to find the three councilors with different names, you should've realized how little your Big Decisions were going to change the plot.

I would feel weird if I loaded a different version of Mass Effect 2 than the rest of the world played.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Miss Wallace posted:

Officially Licensed Copyright Infringement!

What's Blockbuster going to do? Sue you?

fake edit holy poo poo the zombie walks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_LLC

quote:

As of 2016, Blockbuster still maintains 19 stores across the United States. While the Blockbuster brand has mostly been retired, Dish will continue to license the brand name to franchise locations.

One one hand, it's bad they're still around, they might sue you.

On the other hand, they are actively licensing the brand. I bet you could get rights super cheap!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I mean, realistically, that makes sense, though. Were people expecting there to be no representatives on the council from the top three leading races just because they died?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kay Kessler posted:

I mean, realistically, that makes sense, though. Were people expecting there to be no representatives on the council from the top three leading races just because they died?

The way it plays out looks very much like a palace coup that puts humanity on the top of the pile, so yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kay Kessler posted:

They probably should have been different characters with different personalities, though.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

lornekates posted:

That's flippin amazing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Blockbuster? What are youuuuuu doing here?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Augus posted:

good video.

as someone who in the past said some horrible poo poo that people thought i was a drunk lordkat on a alt account, i am rather sad link is not a girl, and the reasoning was something, like what my nieces and nephews would say.

luckily thanks to hyrule warriors it shows that the series have it fair share of kickass woman even if it's a spin off. i rather see zelda kick some rear end in a nintendo made game.

also on the subject would sheik be listed as transgendered? sheik been listed as a boy but it zelda in a magic spell, would zelda be transgender then?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I would 100% play a "Link is Zelda's doggy buddy" game.

Cyron posted:

also on the subject would sheik be listed as transgendered? sheik been listed as a boy but it zelda in a magic spell, would zelda be transgender then?

It depends on whether Zelda identifies as a boy, or is just using the sex change as extra disguise or something.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

lornekates posted:

On the other hand, they are actively licensing the brand. I bet you could get rights super cheap!

We have Hollywood Videos here that still rent VHS tapes. They weren’t affiliated with the “real” Hollywood Video—the genuine article just didn’t feel like sending someone to the other end of the planet to sue them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress, I just remembered that Mass Effect 3 also had Jessica Chobot in it. Holy hell, what was that about? And they killed off a recurring character on Twitter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress, I just remembered that Mass Effect 3 also had Jessica Chobot in it. Holy hell, what was that about? And they killed off a recurring character on Twitter.

its like when Old World Blues had Veronica Belmont as the voice of the two flirty lightswitches, except that was played for humor instead of being a weird cg version of herself in a latex dress you can take a shower with played completely straight

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress, I just remembered that Mass Effect 3 also had Jessica Chobot in it. Holy hell, what was that about?

Buying that 9.5 "AMAZING!" review from IGN.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Augus posted:

I don't think we need a gender-flipped Link or Zelda or Gannondorf, but goddamn it those justifications are hilariously dumb.

Also Sterling still remains difficult to look at directly. Like a greasy, blobby sun.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Also Sterling still remains difficult to look at directly. Like a greasy, blobby sun.

I don't see why he feels the need to dress like a Frank Miller neo-nazi.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

lornekates posted:

They also still have shops in Britain, or did until recently. I remember being very confused when I heard Blockbuster went under because there was an open shop in the next town over for a good year afterwards. There's a lot of big chains that went under that still have a couple of licensed shops limping on.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I don't know how Jim Sterling could say Vanquish was poo poo, when it has the main character have homoerotic tension with a muscular older man. That would pretty much be up his alley.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Spark That Bled posted:

I don't know how Jim Sterling could say Vanquish was poo poo, when it has the main character have homoerotic tension with a muscular older man. That would pretty much be up his alley.

Yea Jim has some bad opinions on some video games (COD, DmC) but at least he doesn't force them down people's throat. Saying all that stuff at the beginning just to get a rise out of people is lame, though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's actually awesome, gamers need to learn to loving chill when people don't agree with them 100%.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
What about a Princess Peach game that behaves more like a 4X long term strategy? You have to manage the toadstool lords that reside over your provinces, appease the immigrant goomba population, and make diplomatic decisions with surrounding Koopa Kid controlled territories.

Oh, you want another platformer? No, you just want her to bake cakes for Mario. Okay.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mad Lupine posted:

Yea Jim has some bad opinions on some video games (COD, DmC) but at least he doesn't force them down people's throat. Saying all that stuff at the beginning just to get a rise out of people is lame, though.

He likes DmC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MonsieurChoc posted:

He likes DmC?

yes, it one of his infamous reviews because he liked it when it had a huge backlash since Dante is not blond.

• Locked thread