Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahaha. Every loving time this happens. Why do people keep it alive by replying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Am I weird for shutting font smoothing off?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I didn't know about the shift + volume up/down either. Cool!

flavor posted:

Does it make you feel like you need to do the same thing? If not, what do you get out of it? I'm honestly curious.

Sometimes through polling we learn why people have certain settings and it gives us a clearer picture of the functionality. Occasionally I learn something new when I hear about someone else's preferences... Like:

flavor posted:

Didn't know about shift for that, thank you!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bob Morales posted:

shut your computer off imo :colbert:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Yes.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to share my Mac's wifi with my phone, e.g. on an airplane? Some Googling leads me to believe that no, it's not possible to share a single wireless interface like that. But with newer Continuity features I thought I'd ask...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can do connection sharing via Bluetooth, I'm pretty sure I connected via wifi on my laptop in an airport then shared over BT to avoid a multiple device connection before.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the point with a Retina screen?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

It's not font smoothing, thats for sure.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Plenty. Retina on MacBooks (Pro) is still only about 200 dpi IIRC.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BobHoward posted:

Correct. ~ 218 on the fifteen, at least. Reasonably sure the other two are similar.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BobHoward posted:

I dunnno. Looks better to me with LCD smoothing off, especially at scaled resolutions

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've got an iCloud security question:

If someone has previously set up their iCloud account to use two-step authentication, is there any benefit in disabling that and switching to the newer two-factor authentication?

My understanding is there are only these differences:
* The authorization code changes from 4 to 6 digits
* The recovery key goes away and instead some mysterious account recovery system is used

Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm a bit torn because the old system seems to be a real multi-factor authentication system that except for the four-digit authorization code is much more secure.

My concern is someone with just the iCloud username running account recovery and breaking in that way.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 18, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

I've got an iCloud security question:

If someone has previously set up their iCloud account to use two-step authentication, is there any benefit in disabling that and switching to the newer two-factor authentication?

My understanding is there are only these differences:
* The authorization code changes from 4 to 6 digits
* The recovery key goes away and instead some mysterious account recovery system is used

Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm a bit torn because the old system seems to be a real multi-factor authentication system that except for the four-digit authorization code is much more secure.

My concern is someone with just the iCloud username running account recovery and breaking in that way.

The "old" one *is* Two Factor Auth (something you know + something you have = password + iOS device/Phone for SMS). DO you have a link to info on the "new"?

The only thing I know of with the recovery key is FileVault2. You have a choice to have your recovery key held in escrow and unlock-able with your iCloud account or a plaintext recovery key you need to secure yourself. Using iCloud is obviously less secure, but has less risk of actually losing all your data. - completely forgot about the account recovery key, my bad.

EDIT: I just went to appleid.apple.com and can't find anything for what you're talking about.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 18, 2016

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Was kinda bummed. WatchOS 3 adds background tasks, but reviewing the API they look "budgeted", you get like 4 an hour. Argh.
I just want the ability to make the watch ding or vibrate at certain heart rates for the purpose of zone training.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

WatchOS 3 adds background tasks, but reviewing the API they look "budgeted", you get like 4 an hour. Argh.

Hahah what the gently caress. I'll hold off for Watch2

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hahah what the gently caress. I'll hold off for Watch2

I think it's Apple just trying to control the experience, it's not really a hardware thing...

Apps that are free to run in the BG and not let the CPU sleep would decimate battery life, and the device already has a tiny battery compared to most.
Still, the correct thing to do is to just like show what the app does, like Android or iOS, where they tell you what permissions the app has.

A simple warning, that an app runs heavily in the BG should prevent people from bitching about battery life.

It kind of pisses me off - I have a Watch Sport. You think it'd be a very basic feature.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

A simple warning, that an app runs heavily in the BG should prevent people from bitching about battery life.

It absolutely would not. You can't fix hardware and software deficiencies with warning messages.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always thought that the low battery warning should name names by showing you the first few things on the battery usage list when it pops up.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just heads up for those of you tired of uBlock Safari not being updated anymore, 1Blocker for Safari is available now. I downloaded it this morning and from what I've tried so far it seems to be as solid as the iOS version, which I know gets recommended a lot in the iOS thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

slomomofo posted:

Just heads up for those of you tired of uBlock Safari not being updated anymore, 1Blocker for Safari is available now. I downloaded it this morning and from what I've tried so far it seems to be as solid as the iOS version, which I know gets recommended a lot in the iOS thread.

Seconded.

Here's the link:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1107421413?mt=12

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got sick of ad targeting and installed Ghostery on my Mac. Is 1Blocker the thread recommendation?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is 1password for OS X always $65 or does it go on sale? I bought it for my iPhone / iPad and really like it but that's a steep price just to sync it with my laptop.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

I finally got sick of ad targeting and installed Ghostery on my Mac. Is 1Blocker the thread recommendation?

I think Ghostery gets funding from or was bought out by an ad network, I don't recall which. 1Blocker, however, hasn't been bought out.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anybody else finding 1Blocker blocks some Facebook comments and Hacker News comments? I'm disabling it and switching back to ublock for now.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is 1password for OS X always $65 or does it go on sale? I bought it for my iPhone / iPad and really like it but that's a steep price just to sync it with my laptop.

It goes on sale decently often.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Tell your workplace that buying you a license would help your compliance with their security policies. Worked for me....

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

withak posted:

I've always thought that the low battery warning should name names by showing you the first few things on the battery usage list when it pops up.

Yeah, that and I would like to have a little system log as the default face.

I think this would all belong in the watch thread anyway, but outside of 20+ hour daysI've never had the battery go out on me.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Might not be a bad idea as long as there really is an offender based on how fast the battery drained and how much the screen was on and stuff.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk how'd you compare something like reading a longform article in safari vs. playing around with Snapchat live filters or playing Candy Crush.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

GobiasIndustries posted:

It does go on sale, at least once a year usually when the latest version of OS X ships. I paid $AU35 for 1Password in October 2014 and also got a free 'Pro' upgrade to the iOS app. In my opinion, it's best in class and I was happy with the price. The peace of mind is worth the cost (for me).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Idk how'd you compare something like reading a longform article in safari vs. playing around with Snapchat live filters or playing Candy Crush.

Settings-> battery -> battery usage has already done the heavy lifting.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Was kinda bummed. WatchOS 3 adds background tasks, but reviewing the API they look "budgeted", you get like 4 an hour. Argh.
I just want the ability to make the watch ding or vibrate at certain heart rates for the purpose of zone training.
What about for the foreground app?

(uh since WWDC is over I guess this should be in the watch thread?)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue where an installation/configuration of Outlook on Mac (O365, so 2016, I guess?) which formerly worked, just stopped working?

It sits at "Connecting to: Exchange" indefinitely, regardless of restarting, force quitting, switching to Work Offline, etc. I've been googling to try to find a solution and haven't come up with anything other than "just reinstall it" or "are you sure you're connected to the internet?"

This is on a recent (I think 11,4? I bought it ~3 months ago, 15", every option except graphics) Macbook Pro, 10.11.5, and the only thing I've changed is what network I'm using. (I'm out of town for work, but I've tried multiple different wifi networks including personal hotspot through my phone, which worked previously.)
Looks like Outlook 2016/365 on OS X only supports Exchange 2010 SP2 or newer ... so I guess either that requirement changed in an update lately (I have automatic updates off, so I don't think so) or I guess my company changed their Exchange server.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Lastpass is like $2/month and you get to use it on every device you own rather than the nickel-and-dime business model 1Pass likes.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

Lastpass is like $2/month and you get to use it on every device you own rather than the nickel-and-dime business model 1Pass likes.

You don't know what the phrase "nickel-and-dime" means if you think it's an accurate description of 1Password's business model.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
1Password has $5/mo teams / family accounts now. It is basically LastPass business model.
All software on all devices comes with it.

https://1password.com/families/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I'd never consider LastPass because they're owned by LogMeIn.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'd much rather pay $60 up front than get charged $5/mo for Yet Another Subscription until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I'm already a happy 1Password iOS owner and not having it on OS X is an inconvenience, not a deal-breaker.

MrChupon posted:

I'd much rather pay $60 up front than get charged $5/mo for Yet Another Subscription until the end of time.

This too.