Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Trey Gowdy is chairman of the House Committee on Benghazi

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/743765971144318976

So his sartorial choices are as bad as his ability to get to the truth about Benghazi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noam Chomsky posted:

The only reason she'd be offered the VP is to remove her from the senate and keep her from further rocking the Wall St. boat in substantive rather than rhetorical ways. I'm sure a lot of Democratic donors loving hate her.

Warren is incredibly popular among Dem donors. Wall St gives to Dems, but not nearly as much as people think.

Picking Warren is a sign the Clinton campaign is confident they're going to win though, because it's "risky" in ways picking a white guy isn't; it also sends a strong signal that she has no intentions of cutting and running on lefter economic policies, because Warren being VP means she's going to have a giant megaphone to do what she does best: advocate and promulgate left ideas.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not happening.

Which part? Because she isn't going to be VP and Schumer is unfortunatly taking over.

Noam Chomsky posted:

The only reason she'd be offered the VP is to remove her from the senate and keep her from further rocking the Wall St. boat in substantive rather than rhetorical ways. I'm sure a lot of Democratic donors loving hate her.

Oh for sure and is one of the reasons I do not want her to be VP. She needs to stay were she is and become very, very vocal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

Which part? Because she isn't going to be VP and Schumer is unfortunatly taking over.

I actually think there might be something to the VP poo poo.

But, yes even if she doesn't become VP she's never becoming senate leader.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Warren is literally who Democratic Senator's will often go to for help with Fundraising.

Warren is liked a ton by the Dems donors.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Slate agrees with our friends in TFR. If you want to debate gun control, you have to have detailed knowledge of gun terminology, history, and culture.. People who talk about clips instead of magazines need not apply.

hm but it's strange we don't apply this standard of proof to climate change. quite the opposite really

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Slate agrees with our friends in TFR. If you want to debate gun control, you have to have detailed knowledge of gun terminology, history, and culture.. People who talk about clips instead of magazines need not apply.

When it comes to discussing specific weapon bans - yes.

The surrounding issues - no.

It's not that hard to understand

Edit: oh sweet i hated my old avatar

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Ironically it gets its gun :spergin: facts wrong.

quote:

An assault weapon is a semi-automatic gun that can accept detachable magazines and has a pistol grip and foldable stock (to increase the gun’s length).

Folding stocks DECREASE a guns length when folded. That's, like, what folding DOES. :haw:

They usually are the same or even slightly shorter length when extended.

Also literally used by the military assault rifles often have fixed stocks (like the original M-16 and AK-47), not folding or telescoping/collapsable/whatever stocks, so saying an assault weapon has to have them to qualify doesn't even make sense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antti posted:

You can use it to create a shortcut for someone to national prominence, and that's why Perez or Castro is floated as a potential pick since the Democratic national bench is running thin (because their base doesn't vote in midterms). Castro is not going to be reach national elected office in Texas any time soon. Perez hasn't really run for anything so he's a bit of a gamble - if he discovers he hates campaigning he's going to be very miserable.

It's also a good way to groom someone for a future presidential run themselves, which again suggests Perez and Castro. Given what's known of Hillary, there's a very good chance that looking for a successor is prominent in her VP considerations.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Picking Warren is a sign the Clinton campaign is confident they're going to win though, because it's "risky" in ways picking a white guy isn't; it also sends a strong signal that she has no intentions of cutting and running on lefter economic policies, because Warren being VP means she's going to have a giant megaphone to do what she does best: advocate and promulgate left ideas.
Picking Perez sends a very similar signal PLUS retains Warren in the Senate and allows Perez to level up.

I may be saying that because I like this choice.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If your ignorance of guns leads you to propose stupid poo poo like banning suppressors or barrel shrouds or whatever, then yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

When it comes to discussing specific weapon bans - yes.

The surrounding issues - no.

It's not that hard to understand
I guess part of the problem is that it almost always DOES turn into specific weapon (or other equipment) bans when that is apparently a pretty stupid idea.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I actually think there might be something to the VP poo poo.

But, yes even if she doesn't become VP she's never becoming senate leader.

To me it is silly to remove her from the senate where she can do ye most good.

I also really, really like the Perez pas VP idea the more I read on him and listen to him speak.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Good news for homophobes who love to explain gay sex in complex anatomical detail!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So anyone that equated Christie to Reek:
Apparently he was snapped fetching McD's for the Donald
https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/scott-brown-says-he-wont-fetch-trumps-mcdonalds-like-christi?utm_term=.lfX7beYGV#.yx8bwan51

Shirec fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I mean if your ignorance of firearms leads you to support things that amount to ineffective gun control, such as pretty much all the 1994 AWB, then you're actually getting in the way of effective gun control and should probably knock that off.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Sadly now that Hillary has won the primary, consolidated the power players, and her polling against Trump is looking good she's going to pick the safest and most boring person on that list: Tim Kaine.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The grain of truth hidden in gun :spergin: is that you have to know SOMETHING about what you're trying to ban for it to ban what you want it to ban, or it's going to fail. For perspective, below is a picture of a gun that you could sell brand new after the old AWB:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnyk7LurPM

Heh. But yeah he'd probably be a good pick to portray progressiveness while not pulling Warren out of the senate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

I mean if your ignorance of firearms leads you to support things that amount to ineffective gun control, such as pretty much all the 1994 AWB, then you're actually getting in the way of effective gun control and should probably knock that off.

The problem is, effective gun control is probably something closer to something that would cause the entire pro-gun side to have a fit, and passing lovely "ban the tacticool scary guns" bills is all they're willing to compromise on because they know how stupid it is.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 17, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How much of "this gun control proposal is over parts and is stupid" comes from genuine ignorance of the science and mechanics (?) behind guns

and how much of it is from "the only way we can get some gun control passed is to make it only cover some small section of guns, and that means delving into mechanical definitions"?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gradenko_2000 posted:

How much of "this gun control proposal is over parts and is stupid" comes from genuine ignorance of the science and mechanics (?) behind guns

and how much of it is from "the only way we can get some gun control passed is to make it only cover some small section of guns, and that means delving into mechanical definitions"?

Don't forget that we can't give the regulatory agency any powers - so everything that is banned has to be banned in precise terms on a legislative level, it's almost as if the whole point is to produce watered down legislation that won't do anything.

The AWB's problems are not an argument against gun control, they're an argument for better gun control.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A friend of mine keeps posting pro vaccination memes on her Facebook wall.

I demanded that she recite the compliment pathway from memory. When she couldn't do that, I asked her what really does cause autism? She couldn't even name some of the genes the scientific community thinks might be involved, much less have herself tested to see if she's a potential carrier.

What a loving dumb piece of poo poo she is, amirite?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The problem is, effective gun control is probably something closer to something that would cause the entire pro-gun side to have a fit, and passing lovely "ban the tacticool scary guns" bills is all their willing to compromise on because they know how stupid it is.

This is 100% true, but Democratic lawmakers in 1994 also gave the distinct impression of not knowing what the gently caress and acting like pistol grips and bayonet lugs gave guns magical murder properties.

Banning new high capacity magazine sales... and then giving the industry a big enough window to flood the market with magazines before the law went into effect , while also allowing the sale of all the individual components used to make the pre-ban magazines after the ban, was also kind of questionable.

Antti posted:

Don't forget that we can't give the regulatory agency any powers - so everything that is banned has to be banned in precise terms on a legislative level, it's almost as if the whole point is to produce watered down legislation that won't do anything.

The AWB's problems are not an argument against gun control, they're an argument for better gun control.

This, 100%.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

Trey Gowdy is chairman of the House Committee on Benghazi

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/743765971144318976

At the women's softball game, so here is a pic of three men.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

I'm glad Bernie is advocating for younger people to try to run for smaller local positions, because that's how you actually get a Progressive revolution. I just wish he had been advocating that for his entire campaign.

Yeah it really would have helped things if he had started pushing the downticket before a ton of state and local primaries (not the presidential ones), and even regular elections, had already finished.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Yeah it really would have helped things if he had started pushing the downticket before a ton of state and local primaries (not the presidential ones), and even regular elections, had already finished.

Yeah but any disagreement with his exact policy positions makes you corrupt and ineligible for his support, so it took them six months to vet downticket candidates.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What the Christ have you disaffected assclowns done with the country since the last time I paid attention some months ago?

Also, I assume you have all seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbM6WbUw7Bs

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh for sure and is one of the reasons I do not want her to be VP. She needs to stay were she is and become very, very vocal.

Agreed. I am a massive Warren fan and I do not want her to ever run for or be elected to the presidency or vice presidency.

The presidency has been proven to be kind of a lovely neutered office with little utility beyond appointments and the bully pulpit (though those things are still very important), for as long as Republicans are in "durr durr fuk u libs durrrrrrrrrr" mode and control congress. We need awesome senators and congresspersons, and we need the electorate to actually know that the real power of day-to-day legislation lies in congress and not with the presidency, but that will never happen because our education system is trash and our people are fairly stupid and misinformed.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

What the Christ have you disaffected assclowns done with the country since the last time I paid attention some months ago?

I posted it a few pages ago. No one cared. I think for many Trump is beyond laughing at and now many in D&D are setting their hair on fire and are actually worried about the chump.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

The problem is, effective gun control is probably something closer to something that would cause the entire pro-gun side to have a fit, and passing lovely "ban the tacticool scary guns" bills is all they're willing to compromise on because they know how stupid it is.
The problem is that by passing ineffective laws people will later on use them to argue that gun control doesn't do poo poo. And they're not wrong either - the specific gun control you did, wasn't very effective.

Frankly banning *anything* is probably a wrong approach, maybe even to the extent that we can use some of the still-existing bans as leverage to get what we really need: registration, inspections, and education / skill requirements for ownership.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Noam Chomsky posted:

The presidency has been proven to be kind of a lovely neutered office with little utility

I was under the impression that the power of the Executive has actually been constantly expanding since at least the Clinton era, to the point where people do get real worried about the GOP taking the seat even as we wring our hands over how obstructionist Congress is.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Gowdy is such a dork.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Nobody clicks blind youtube links. Post gifs instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

meristem posted:

I'm confused. Isn't Warren on the VP pick list just so that, when the list leaked, people could talk about how Hillary Clinton is considering Warren for a VP pick? Because that's what I assumed, that the list leaked half for PR purposes (the other half being so that the campaign could gauge audience reactions to the people they are actually considering).

Yes, that and early lists are "grab the names of anyone we'd consider, even in passing, and start narrowing it down."

Dexo posted:

Warren is literally who Democratic Senator's will often go to for help with Fundraising.

Warren is liked a ton by the Dems donors.

Cool, so she keeps doing that as a senator while Hillary picks someone like Perez or Castro to both groom them as the next generation's leader while also baiting Trump to make (more) racist comments. Clinton will probably depress us all by picking the most middle of the road bland white guy she can find.

Fundraising is not a reason to pick Warren. It's not even close to being a good reason since it's not like she won't be able to raise the same amount of money as a senator. She doesn't have a hidden "+100% increase in donation size" hidden passive skill or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

The way I see it there's being wacky and then there's trying really really hard to be wacky. I think this is the latter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clinton will probably depress us all by picking the most middle of the road bland white guy she can find.

MIGF for VP

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was under the impression that the power of the Executive has actually been constantly expanding since at least the Clinton era, to the point where people do get real worried about the GOP taking the seat even as we wring our hands over how obstructionist Congress is.

It's a little bit more complicated than that. Since the GOP controls the House for now, and into the foreseeable future, Democratic presidents are indeed neutered and will probably never be able to get things passed through the legislature.The problem is of course that should a Republican be elected bad legislation will rocket through so fast members won't even read it before it's passed and they will devolve most of their power to the Executive. Think of 2001-2009 Congress, when GOP controlled, was an afterthought. Bills would literally be written in secret Executive meetings and then rubber stamped by Congress. At this point the best we can hope for with a Democratic President is that things don't get worse, because there is no way for them to get better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, that and early lists are "grab the names of anyone we'd consider, even in passing, and start narrowing it down."

Cool, so she keeps doing that as a senator while Hillary picks someone like Perez or Castro to both groom them as the next generation's leader while also baiting Trump to make (more) racist comments. Clinton will probably depress us all by picking the most middle of the road bland white guy she can find.

Fundraising is not a reason to pick Warren. It's not even close to being a good reason since it's not like she won't be able to raise the same amount of money as a senator. She doesn't have a hidden "+100% increase in donation size" hidden passive skill or something.

The hell, My statement had nothing to do with her being picked. I've literally said multiple times that she would be a bad pick and would be more useful in the senate.

i was responding to someone who said that Warren doesn't fund raise well and that the Democratic Donors want her out of the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Noam Chomsky posted:

I posted it a few pages ago. No one cared. I think for many Trump is beyond laughing at and now many in D&D are setting their hair on fire and are actually worried about the chump.

I liked it. Not as much as Colbert's blackboard thing though.

Has that been posted yet today? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_GFkdxwbQ

• Locked thread