Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Saros posted:

The absolute best case scenario here is someone robs him at gunpoint and takes everything but he makes it back home alive. What a moron.

Depending which direction he's going the jeep might break down irreparably causing him to head home before anything really bad happens. It's not that bad until he hits Libya or Sierra Leone and if he makes it through Libya that whole East side trip isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Saros posted:

The absolute best case scenario here is someone robs him at gunpoint and takes everything but he makes it back home alive. What a moron.

If he gets kidnapped and held for random, he can just put it on his credit card.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

JayKay posted:

If he gets kidnapped and held for random, he can just put it on his credit card.

If you get kidnapped is it better to have your emergency savings in an index fund or a checking account?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If you get kidnapped is it better to have your emergency savings in an index fund or a checking account?

I'm going to say this is the one time precious metals are preferable.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Leviathan Song posted:

Depending which direction he's going the jeep might break down irreparably causing him to head home before anything really bad happens. It's not that bad until he hits Libya or Sierra Leone and if he makes it through Libya that whole East side trip isn't so bad.

Morocco and Mauretania will be fine but once he gets past there into proper west Africa he is totally hosed. I've been there for work and we had fixers and everything and never moved alone but it was still dodgy as all hell in many places.

What really gets to me is the 1) Doing it alone and 2) In a shiny jeep with expensive poo poo hanging off it everywhere.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 17, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
If loving Caro can get out of Syria alive, anyone can. I say go for it. Ol' Kevin has proven mentally ill goons are immortal, unless phenazepam is involved.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the fury road :black101:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Wow that guy makes the idiotic Everest tourists seem sane. I can confirm that running over people in Kenya and fleeing the scene is The Thing to Do, though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Droo posted:

I was just searching for something on google, and typed "would a h" to start my search and I noticed that the first auto fill result is "would a horse enjoy a bouncy castle".

A fun game

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
"I'm just gonna, like, share my experience with them, man. We're all humans and just have to understand each other. I'm on a journey, we're all on a journey" - Jeep guy, explaining his plan to get out of trouble

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Some highlights from Jeep Guy's comment history:

Fuel plans:

quote:

It's something I think about. I try to fill up at big stations that look like they get a lot of use so less chance of gas that has been sitting around for a long time.

I also have a water separating funnel I'll use when I'm really not sure.

Long term planning:

quote:

That's not my house, or tools, or garage, that was a friend's place.
I have no idea where I will live or go when the trip is over. I have no house, nothing to go back to, I will have to start over somewhere. Rent a place, get a job, etc.

The thinking that goes into deciding to drive through Libya, Sudan, and Western Sahara

quote:

Actually, I knocked that map out in photoshop in about 3 minutes because a magazine editor wanted it. Is it accurate ? nope. Will my plans change? yep.
It's the ten thousand foot view, not the detail, for example, I had planned to go to Senegal, but now I'm hearing it's really not worth it (too crowded, nothing much to see) so I'll probably skip it.

Also no mention anywhere of language skills besides English, to up the difficulty a little more.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is like that dude who planned to walk from California to Florida, but much worse.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Not all of those borders are even open, though I guess that's really one of the least of his worries. Offhand, I know the border between Morocco and Algeria has been essentially completely closed for 30 years.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
And even the open ones generally require visas be arranged well in advance. Bill Bryson talks about all the planning he had to do for Darkstar Safari.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I assume he's just gonna dick around in Morocco for a few months, claim some variant of a personal emergency, and bail

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
He makes a plan to drive around all of africa and loving skips Timbuktu? The one place people will ask about when they hear he drove around africa? What a moron

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Someone else on reddit also mentioned that the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnet_de_Passages_en_Douane can cost many times what your vehicle costs for each country.

I think he's just going to take a Ferry to Morocco, get stoned, and make up the rest. I mean it was supposed to be starting now, that reddit post is from two weeks ago.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Has he posted lately? I hear it's hard to type after the local warlord lops off your hands because you were foolish enough to stop at the barricade of burning tires instead of flooring it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I like to imagine he's enjoying a nice piece of sesame cake.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Moneyball posted:

I like to imagine he's enjoying a nice piece of sesame cake.

:golfclap:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Stop eating my sesame cake. :geno:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

This is like that dude who planned to walk from California to Florida, but much worse.

Does anyone have a link to this thread again? I read it once before but have a long train ride coming up and could do with the entertainment.

vvvvvvv A legend is y0u!

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 18, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&perpage=40

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
im too lazy to read though that, but is he the one who was going to use a baby stroller to carry water through the desert?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JohnGalt posted:

im too lazy to read though that, but is he the one who was going to use a baby stroller to carry water through the desert?

Yes

And he never made it out of the park he started in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Inept posted:

Jeep death wish
The cherry on top is the comments going "wtf, don't take a Jeep to Africa, you should have gotten a Landcruiser or Hilux instead." I guess having a reliable, relatively inconspicuous car he'd be able to repair never popped into his head. :v:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Haifisch posted:

The cherry on top is the comments going "wtf, don't take a Jeep to Africa, you should have gotten a Landcruiser or Hilux instead." I guess having a reliable, relatively inconspicuous car he'd be able to repair never popped into his head. :v:

I've rarely seen an SUV driver actually leave the suburbs / inner city, which is just as well, because they are incompetent drivers enough there, let alone in the actual, non-paved wilderness.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Somewhere in the archives there is a thread from a goon who actually did the drive around Africa thing, except he did it as part of a huge caravan of people in multiple vehicles and it was meticulously planned long in advance. They brought multiple spare parts and still ran out of at least one IIRC, and had to barter for repairs. They also ran into Michael Palin because he was in Africa for one of his travel shows, and Palin remembered him months later at a book signing.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

some_weird_kid posted:

This happened to a friend of mine, in a similar amount, except since she was a 25 year old still under her parents' insurance (though living as an otherwise-independent adult on the opposite side of the country) the insurance company cut the check to her mom as the policy holder. My friend went about her business thinking insurance had taken care of it, as they said they would, until she got a call from the hospital about the unpaid debt. Once she figured out that the insurance hadn't paid the hospital directly and had instead mailed a check to her terrible-with-money mother, and called to tell her mom to send the check in to the hospital, her mom said she had assumed it was for some other medical bills for the parents and had used it all to pay those instead. Certainly the paperwork would have said something about the patient name, but her mom runs the many debts she's incurred as somewhat of a shell game between members of the family. So the medical debt is in my friend's name, but the best she can get from her mom is a shrug and a "sorry, it's all gone." So the mom has effectively transferred around $20,000 of medical debt from her old and unwell spouse to her young and reasonably healthy daughter.

Their relationship is obviously strained as a result, but not for the reason you would think. The mom feels it's impolite to talk about money and for her daughter to keep bringing this up (to talk about payment plans or some sort of mitigation) is obviously very rude.

Is there any way to nail her on fraud charges? Because that's what I'd do at this point.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Renegret posted:

Yes

And he never made it out of the park he started in.

wow. i stopped reading the before he actually attempted the trip. good read.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ugh, Muerte's death march linked me to the e/n thread about the 31 year old guy with the camgirlfriend and let's just say I'm sad and angry.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I am buying a used RV but I need 15 years to pay it off. Also I am pretty particular about my creditworthiness. (He did say peculiar, which makes it more accurate.)

Reddit posted:

So, I've been looking for an rv camper, found one I'm really interested in, and talked to my credit union to help me finance it. But! The maximum term they will finance it for is 120 months, long time I know, but I want it longer. Somewhere around 180 months. The loan officer at my credit union has checked my credit but not sent off my request for credit just yet. She wanted me to find a camper that was newer(which I did) now, here comes the question: can I take that credit report to the dealer and show it to him, then finance it with the dealer for the 180 months or would I have to let him check my credit a thousand more times to be satisfied. I'm pretty peculiar about my credit worthiness, being a 20 yo guy surrounded by people who have credit scores of 0-500max, and really want as few hard hits to it as possible.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Once again, the only people worried about their credit score are those that shouldn't be given credit

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Help my family spend less on food. (self.personalfinance)

I am ashamed at the amount of money my family of four spends on food. I have two kids 8 and 6 and two adults in the house to feed and we overspend to the tune of over $3k with eating out and groceries in a given month. There is a LOT of food waste and we are trying to improve. What strategies have helped you in significantly reducing food spending - meal planning, bulk shopping, learning how to eat cheaply?

quote:

Here is the breakdown for last month for food spending (includes any household items - toiletry & paper). We are in a high COL area (SF Bay Area) but I realize we are out of control.

Safeway: $1713

Trader Joes: $708

Walgreens: $503

Paypal (Delivery food): $575

Starbucks: $350 (I know I will get obliterated for this)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

Safeway: $1713

Ok this seems pretty high for four people but its San Fran but maybe feeding kids is more expensive than I remember.

quote:

Trader Joes: $708

Now I'm concerned, this is more food on top of the Safeway food????

quote:

Walgreens: $503

:stare: Well maybe its medicine and not expensive drug store snacks...

quote:

Paypal (Delivery food): $575

:what:

quote:

Starbucks: $350 (I know I will get obliterated for this)

:emo:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
They must only buy the hot pre-made food. I wouldn't be able to spend $2500 a month otherwise unless I was loading up a cart full of prime rib and trashing it every day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm having trouble processing it.

Granted I'm single and buy generic brand poo poo when applicable because I'm a cheapskate. However, growing up with my parents in a family of 4 in NYC we still only spent a fraction of that on groceries.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Jesus... The Bay Area is pricey, sure, but nothing out here is that pricey. Hell, fruits and vegetables are actually cheaper here than they were in rural Pennsylvania. My wife and I could eat out for every single meal, every day, and we'd still be spending less than that guy is. :suicide:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
The dude spends more in a month on food than I do in a year. Granted, I'm only one person and not a family of four, but goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I thought I was overspending by purchasing $50 of luxury food items yesterday. I see I'm out of my league with at least $3500/month on gently caress knows what. I see he also talks about food waste. Is it some sort of tradition to buy so much food that you just throw it away?

• Locked thread