Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My one beef with the empire is that orcs never really seem to be a threat and I'd like to fight them more often. Dwarfs seem to win those mountain ranges between you and Brettonia.

I suppose I could always help the orcs out by wiping out the local midgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Really? Orcs always seem to mop the floor with the poor dwarves across my playthroughs, and I have to mount an expedition to the badlands just to get them to take the pressure off.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I had to raze two Dwarf towns between me and Brettonia to purge the Orks there. Early Orks units seem to have a moral problem when they take a Reiksguard charge to the butt.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I've seen the orcs completely take over the mountains but still be too preoccupied with the border princes after 100+ turns. One Empire campaign Estalia actually became number 2 in strength and wholesale slaughtered the badlands to the point where the Western dwarves started taking over. Meanwhile, the main dwarf faction was holed up in the north surrounded by what was the Bloody spears before they confederated to Greenskins. Completed the long campaign with my only orc fighting being sacking the faction next to Marienburg 10 times.

I've never actually seen the Dwarves beat the Greenskins. I think it's because the AI will abuse repeat sacking for Waaghs and the Dwarves confederate vulnerable provinces before they can defend them.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
On my chaos legendary the dwarves turned into a 38 settlement monster. On my very hard VC playthrough after that they were starting to do the same so I warred them when they hit 18 and as much of a slog as it was burning down all of their poo poo it was worth it if only to never have to deal with a 38 settlement monstrosity again. Greenskins are weird in that they're probably the main faction most likely to just get wiped by a minor faction and then the dwarves will have all sorts of autoresolve bonuses on that minor and stomp.

The issue is that the main dwarf faction is one of the best positioned dwarves for expanding so their power rating will surely be higher than their minors and they can confederate, especially on the higher difficulties. On the other hand, there are multiple greenskin tribes that can basically match the main faction in power rating for a lot of the game so the AI has trouble confederating and they war each other. For me the greenskins have only lived if their minors did work razing dwarf minors before they could confederate and usually that only happened if I was "part of the problem" and razed stuff myself. Artillery is very highly valued in autoresolve, especially in siege defense where it really shouldn't be, and the dwarves tend to be packing a ton of it.

It's also worth noting that from what I can tell a waaagh vs. main faction autoresolve produces the super dumb results you'd expect from a minor faction vs. main faction autoresolve, where the main is getting hidden +probability of victory modifiers. This is true even of main greenskin ones. An injured main dwarf 6 stack of nothing special can wipe a full health 20 stack waaagh in AI vs. AI auto.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fangz posted:

Really? Orcs always seem to mop the floor with the poor dwarves across my playthroughs, and I have to mount an expedition to the badlands just to get them to take the pressure off.

I'm basically talking about this:

Nasgate posted:

Completed the long campaign with my only orc fighting being sacking the faction next to Marienburg 10 times.

I haven't seen the minor orc factions in this region win at all against the local dwarf factions, and it'd be cool if they did because I'd like to fight orcs as the empire without having to go all the way out to the border princes area. They're in a tough spot though between dwarves, Brettonia, and empire factions. It's a minor quibble, really.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
When I'm besieged and get the option to attack, with the description "fight the enemy at the city walls", why do I get a normal land battle? Are beefy walls just there to look pretty and dissuade small raiding parties?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've played about 700 turns of this game (various campaigns so far) and the only campaign i've seen the beat the dwarves is when I was controlling them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ilustforponydeath posted:

When I'm besieged and get the option to attack, with the description "fight the enemy at the city walls", why do I get a normal land battle? Are beefy walls just there to look pretty and dissuade small raiding parties?

You get to fight with the city's garrison as a reinforcing army, but yes you don't fight a siege on your own walls unless the enemy attacks you.

This is a great excuse to post my Heroic defense of Kraka Drak against Kholek and a stack of pretty good Chaos troops.

E: Just realized not everyone may know how to load this one onto your computer, first make sure you've checked "view hidden files" under Appearance and Settings on your control panel, then for PC users drop the replay into the following location:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer\replays

If you don't see "AppData" it means you've got "show hidden files" turned off.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

Gyrocopters are a point sink in most games, you only use them against the Empire and I'd never take 2. Their high AP damage and good mobility makes them OK at sniping demigryph knights but that's about it. They sort of overkill other knights and don't have a good rate of fire.

Longbeards with great weapons will lose against black orcs because your guys cost 3/4 of what his do, though yours get efficient trades in that encounter. If you have say, 5 of them to his 4, you should win out since it takes a while for him to kill your units.

Never get the great weapons on the standard warriors, they just don't do enough damage even though they're theoretically a damage dealing unit and their defenses suffer a lot. By contrast, standard shield and axe warriors are cheaper, last longer and are great at holding your back line.

Master engineers are OK against orcs but only if you take a few catapults. I would only take him or the rune priest, not both.

Also, you can use this if you want to get a bit more multiplayer info on the dwarves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-HqQhYxBF8
Thanks for the tips, Yukitsu. I was really good at Shogun 2's MP, and even more so in FotS, but clearly Warhammer is a demigryph of a different colour and I still haven't learned what all the units can do because I'm focusing so much on familiarizing myself with them through single player. Practice will make perfect, I guess, and watching your videos to learn what they can do is also a plus!

Is the Goons Total War steam group still active for MP? I had good times in it, and would like to get some more rumbles on sometime.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
My legendary Empire campaign has become very fun. Middenheim went and conquered half the Empire and then just felt like confederating with me, because why not? So I have most of my territory already since I took the western and southern Empire provinces. I'm friends with Nordland and Kislev who are pretty strong. The first Chaos wave has come down from the wastes and is completely curbstomping Nordland, Ostland and Kislev. I have one army in Kislev right now fighting off Chaos stacks with handguns, spears and mortars; it's basically Zulu but with Norscans.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The auto-resolve rebalance mod affects all AI-on-AI battles, right? I'd be interested to see how it changes in favor of or against certain factions.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Does the "poor against armor " stat actually mean anything? Goblin archers still seem to wreck anything that doesn't have a shield whether it has armor or not, and dire wolf or hound rear charges still do well against even heavily armored troops.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Blacktoll posted:

The trick is to kit out a generic lord, not a named guy.

idgi, why is this "the trick"?

Kholek and Siggy are unkillable gods when leveled. Hell, Kholek is pretty close to one at lvl 1.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Does the "poor against armor " stat actually mean anything? Goblin archers still seem to wreck anything that doesn't have a shield whether it has armor or not, and dire wolf or hound rear charges still do well against even heavily armored troops.

I suspect this is more because of difficulty settings giving the AI bonuses, but yes. Goblin Archers have 2 AP damage, which is pitiful, and they do much less damage against armored targets than any of the "normal" ranged units, including Arrer Boyz, Crossbows, and Quarrelers. Trust me, I tested this.

That said, sheer mass of fire still adds up, so while the Goblin Archers penetration is about the worst in the game if you've got 6 of them focusing a unit they're still going to kill dudes a lot faster than you'd expect. Always be shooting ranged units as Dwarves.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I had a single generic Dwarf Lord stand in the open and tank about four units of goblin archer fire until they exhausted their arrows and rushed him, whereupon they were routed by said Lord in melee. Armor is a key stat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The text are just suggestions/hints on how to use the units. Poor against armour = low AP damage.

Goblin archers do 10 dam (1 ap). That means vs anything with more than 20 armour they are just doing the base 1 dam per hit.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
How does armour work precisely?

Is it just

(Non AP weapon damage - armour) + AP weapon damage = Total weapon damage

So you could get something with 30 weapon damage and 15 AP damage against 20 armour doing:

(30-20)+15=25

And against 10 armour doing

(30-10)+15=35

Or am I missing something?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ok well to expand, if you have 3 units of goblin archers focusing a unit of hammerers or great swords the melee unit will die really quickly despite being an elite and heavily armored unit.

From what I understand this probably relates to how armor actually works- it reduces an amount of damage randomly with chances or amount based on the stat. So even non piercing damage has a chance to get through. So if you have 360 goblins shooting at a unit it'll do damage even if the unit is heavily armored.

They don't do super well against armored units with a shield, but hammerers in particular feel nearly pointless because 200 gold worth of goblins can pick them apart from range.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It means there's units that are better at piercing armor, but any attack deals at least 1 armor piercing damage. Plus, Armor is a measure of how much damage CAN be blocked with every hit, not how much WILL be blocked every time (I'm fuzzy on the math though). Then on top of all that shields represent a flat percent to avoid missiles entirely. So if you notice your hammerers dropping unreasonably quickly from archer fire, it's because they're a bunch of 74 HP units taking 1-11 points of damage from a ton of goblin arrows, while your standard Dwarf Warrior is only 64 health but blocks 30% of all missile fire.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kitchner posted:

How does armour work precisely?

Is it just

(Non AP weapon damage - armour) + AP weapon damage = Total weapon damage

So you could get something with 30 weapon damage and 15 AP damage against 20 armour doing:

(30-20)+15=25

And against 10 armour doing

(30-10)+15=35

Or am I missing something?

Here's what some guy from reddit thinks. It does accord with my experiences - https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4m9sdw/how_melee_attack_and_defense_armor_and_damage/

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure armor and melee defense only ever deal in chance to hit rather than damage reduction. Armor works for both missiles and melee attacks in some ratio while melee defense only works for melee attacks. You always have at least a 10% chance of getting hit and on the other end a 10% chance of missing.

AP damage is damage that is more likely to hit and thus actually do its damage because it ignores the armor stat entirely in its hit calculations.

edit: huh, guess armor is actual damage reduction rather than hit chance, though in the end it's basically the same until you're already at 10% chance to get hit which shouldn't happen naturally in-game for most match-ups. Also, I'm pretty sure he's wrong on armor not working against impacts. If the tables are to be believed--and they may not be since a lot of the kv_ series of tables is full of deprecated values--30% of armor works against impacts.

Decus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 17, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

From that one Reddit thread, armour blocks between 50 and 100% its full value worth of non-AP damage per hit.

I don't know how to explain goblin archers hammering a greatsword unit. Either there's a different mechanic for ranged damage, or maybe fatigue/morale is doing something?

Edit: oh looks like that article has gone back on that....

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Wafflecopper posted:

idgi, why is this "the trick"?

Kholek and Siggy are unkillable gods when leveled. Hell, Kholek is pretty close to one at lvl 1.

Kholek is fantastic no doubt but take a generic chaos lord and gear him towards combat on a manticore and lol

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Blacktoll posted:

Kholek is fantastic no doubt but take a generic chaos lord and gear him towards combat on a manticore and lol

You don't need a generic chaos lord for this--just fill kholek's stack with champions which also get manticores. And then due to the veterancy bug your Kholek will be maxed out too.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

From that one Reddit thread, armour blocks between 50 and 100% its full value worth of non-AP damage per hit.

I don't know how to explain goblin archers hammering a greatsword unit. Either there's a different mechanic for ranged damage, or maybe fatigue/morale is doing something?

Edit: oh looks like that article has gone back on that....

That guy did a later post where he said armor in this game works by percentage (ie a 50 armor roll reduces damage by 50% instead of -50) instead of raw numbers. So 100 armor in practice is 75% damage resistance against non AP damage.

It makes sense, if only because there's so many units that should be one-shotting everything off of raw damage otherwise.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

There's a link in the post you've got, but here's a more straightforward table on how armor works. In short, Armor is a measure of damage reduction percentage between half and all of that armor amount, maxing out at an armor stat of 200. Using Hammerers as the example again, their armor value of 95 means they block between 47.5% and 95% of all base damage, with an average of 71.25%.

So for the Goblin Archer comparison, that means that a Hammerer is closer to taking 2-6 damage per hit, or 8-24 damage per gobo archer over a 30 second period (averaging at 16). Compare this to a Dwarf Warrior with only 80 armor, but with a 30% missile block on the shield you're getting an average of... huh, an average of 17.5 per gobbo over the same period. My napkin math might be off...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah armor will never completely reduce incoming damage, just reduce it. Wards do negate the full attack though, like bird man with 80% missile resistance just walking through thunderer fire like it wasn't there.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I put this down while finishing Blood & Wine and having my fill of Hearts of Iron 4, but now when i try to play again i have this horrible flickering bug on the campaign map that i have never seen before. No graphical option change seems to do anything, Vsync on/off and windowed mode on/off as suggested in google searches did nothing and absolutely nothing about my system has changed since last time i played save updated Nvidia drivers.

Anyone had this and found a way to fix it?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I put this down while finishing Blood & Wine and having my fill of Hearts of Iron 4, but now when i try to play again i have this horrible flickering bug on the campaign map that i have never seen before. No graphical option change seems to do anything, Vsync on/off and windowed mode on/off as suggested in google searches did nothing and absolutely nothing about my system has changed since last time i played save updated Nvidia drivers.

Try rolling back your drivers, Nvidia screwed up and hasn't released proper Warhammer drivers yet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Greatswords do jack poo poo to low armor targets

I know this is from last page but it contributes to the current armor discussion so I'm going to quote it.

STOP SAYING STUFF LIKE THIS. It is wrong as gently caress. A unit being armor piercing does not make them suddenly turn into chumps against a low armor target. AP damage does not get negated if the target does not have that amount armor, it just becomes regular damage instead. Against literally any target in the game, regardless of armor, Greatswords will do more damage than Swordsmen. This is because they do 32 damage (23 of it AP), while Swordsmen do 28 (6 of it AP). So even against a 0 armor target the Greatswords are putting out more damage. Against something like Ork Boyz, which have 30 armor, they would also be at a large advantage, even without counting their anti-infantry bonus. This is because for the Greatswords 23 points of damage are ignoring the target's armor, while for Swordsmen only 6 points are ignoring the target's armor. Also don't forget that in the specific case of Greatswords they have +10 bonus damage against all infantry, bringing them to 42 damage versus the Swordsmen's 28 when fighting something like Ork Boyz. And then, on top of all that, the Greatswords will take far less casualties mulching low level infantry because their own armor will protect them much, much better than Swordsmen (100 armor versus like 30 I think).

So while it's true that it may be inefficient to use an armor-piercing unit against a low armor target in many situations, there is not any actual effect that lowers their damage against them. Greatswords will destroy low tier, low armor targets, it just might not be an efficient use of that 950g. Pretty much across the board armor piercing units tend to deal more damage than their non-AP counter parts (Greatswords/Swordsmen , Black Orks/Boyz , Grave Guard/Skellies) anyway, so the damage is usually higher against any target.

e: Since people tend to read my posts as inflammatory when they aren't mean to be I'm writing this disclaimer. Nasgate, this is not an attack on you or an attempt to paint you as a dumb gently caress or something. It's just wrong info that I'm seeing be perpetuated and I want to stop it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 17, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

madmac posted:

Try rolling back your drivers, Nvidia screwed up and hasn't released proper Warhammer drivers yet.

Ah okay thanks. I did a clean driver install this time and i don't wanna mess with it so i'll just wait.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Think of AP damage as guaranteed damage on any type of target. Units with the AP tag tend to be 3/4s AP damage and 1/4 base damage. Regular units are the opposite. I'm pretty sure bonus damage, which isn't properly displayed in the total bar, is also guaranteed, but don't quote me on that.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

Yes, this is a CA bug. Alt Tab out of the game and tab back in - that fixes it for me. Older drivers still had this issue, looking forward to bugfix update 1.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay thanks. I did a clean driver install this time and i don't wanna mess with it so i'll just wait.

Try just alt tab out of the game and alt tab back in when you first launch it. For me that makes the flickering stop right away.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Decus posted:

You don't need a generic chaos lord for this--just fill kholek's stack with champions which also get manticores. And then due to the veterancy bug your Kholek will be maxed out too.

What is the veterancy bug?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

beejay posted:

What is the veterancy bug?

Lords in the same army as a hero with Training gain unit-xp, which Lords normally can't get. So you could get a 3 gold chevron Kholek or whoever for example, which adds the normal rank bonuses on top of Lord skills

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

Think of AP damage as guaranteed damage on any type of target. Units with the AP tag tend to be 3/4s AP damage and 1/4 base damage. Regular units are the opposite. I'm pretty sure bonus damage, which isn't properly displayed in the total bar, is also guaranteed, but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the bonus damage. Based on the way it's displayed here my personal interpretation is that the bonus is regular damage, not AP. But it doesn't really say specifically one way or the other so who can be sure.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Decus posted:

Wow. That is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Rakthar posted:

Try just alt tab out of the game and alt tab back in when you first launch it. For me that makes the flickering stop right away.

That doesn't work either for me.

• Locked thread