Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I'm definitely more in favour of banning gun ownership than inventing some right to bear arms like the US 2nd amendment, but that's a false dichotomy.

Imagine if you asked that about cars: I wouldn't want people to have a "right" to drive a car either -- it's a privilege, subject to licensing and suitable restrictions -- but I wouldn't want private car ownership banned either.

Pixelante posted:

Problem is, that's the wrong question, and a bad question at that. Outlawing gun ownership entirely a) isn't plausible, and b) isn't even the point of current debate. Gun lobbyists would like to make the issue seem like, "all guns or no guns," but it's really, "all guns anywhere, or restrictions to guns," which is a lot messier.

"Gun control" is an inflammatory and useless phrase, because one side hears, "gonna take away my guns," and the other hears, "gonna take guns away from that weird kid in grade 11 who doodles savage murders in the margins of his math homework." Both are probably okay with taking guns away from that kid, but gun lobbyists don't think it's worth letting anyone get a foothold on that slippery slope of control.

Except there have, in fact, been multiple posters in this thread arguing the "no guns" position. I agree it's implausible, and probably never likely to be entertained by anyone that could do gently caress all about it, but there are some people who would clearly like to ban all private gun ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cultural norms change overtime. Urbanization in Canada has most of us going away from gun ownership. Anecdotally it seems the opposite in the US, but maybe that is just my dumb Yankee friends.

Also lol, clearly an object with no cultural significance what-so-ever.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

cowofwar posted:

Only 5% of Canadians own guns. Banning them would just make a bunch of rural people cry even more about city people.

The number of owners is decreasing over time as well.

If this is true why bother with the Sturm und drang of banning them?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
to insult white trash?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

to insult white trash?

At least you're completely honest about your motives, unlike THC, who is a disingenuous little wankstain.

On a more serious note, I think we should make all licensed gun-owners qualify for marksmanship on a regular basis with all the weapons they own. Otherwise, suspension of the license followed by confiscation of the guns.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'd rather see regular renewals of the safety course. I don't give a crap about how well someone can shoot, they can go 0-25 trying to hit clays or never make it in the 5 ring of a 200 yard target as long as they can be extremely poo poo at shooting in a safe manner.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I'd rather see regular renewals of the safety course. I don't give a crap about how well someone can shoot, they can go 0-25 trying to hit clays or never make it in the 5 ring of a 200 yard target as long as they can be extremely poo poo at shooting in a safe manner.

Why not do both? You can train at a range until you're sufficiently not poo poo to actually hit what you're aiming at, just like anyone who doesn't hold a PAL. Perhaps you should be allowed to be at a range without direct supervision if you're just practicing, but you shouldn't have the right to have and use guns outside a controlled setting until you're sufficiently accurate. I don't want some retard with bad aim trying to hunt with a gun.

From what I hear from my buddy in the RCMP, you don't have to be a marksmanship expert to qualify even as a police officer, so I don't think it's an unreasonable standard. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a trained sniper by any means.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

In other news, why is it the one time our senate does something not poo poo (forcing the assisted dying bill back to Commons and removing the mandatory near death provision), the Liberals throw their hands up and say that such a provision is non negotiable? gently caress off, the SC spanked you on that, the Senate spanked you on that, and the people who are campaigning for such a law say that provision is incompatible with what the law is meant to accomplish. Why are they fighting so hard to make sure someone without a terminal illness (but something that makes their life intolerable) can't choose to die?

Alzheimer's is non-terminal but a great example of an utterly horrific disease I would want to kill myself to avoid.

A lot of people in geriatrics are very divided on this. At one point they all agree Alzheimer's is a horrible as poo poo thing to happen but at the same time if someone is already in the early stages before they have said anything about the right to die they can be easily pressured into things.

It's a super tough call that will take years to work out unless people start saying at like 30, I want to kill myself if I have Alzheimer's.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Why not do both? You can train at a range until you're sufficiently not poo poo to actually hit what you're aiming at, just like anyone who doesn't hold a PAL. Perhaps you should be allowed to be at a range without direct supervision if you're just practicing, but you shouldn't have the right to have and use guns outside a controlled setting until you're sufficiently accurate. I don't want some retard with bad aim trying to hunt with a gun.

From what I hear from my buddy in the RCMP, you don't have to be a marksmanship expert to qualify even as a police officer, so I don't think it's an unreasonable standard. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a trained sniper by any means.

Hate to break it to ya but most police and military are poo poo with their guns too. Being inaccurate isn't a huge deal though as long as you're safe, and there's a big difference between missing a deer by a couple inches and launching a round over the crest of a hill into who knows where/what. Safety and rules/regulations are much, much more important.

Can't imagine people would be too happy with surprise home inspections to make sure fuckwad hasn't stashed a loaded 870 behind his bedframe though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

A lot of people in geriatrics are very divided on this. At one point they all agree Alzheimer's is a horrible as poo poo thing to happen but at the same time if someone is already in the early stages before they have said anything about the right to die they can be easily pressured into things.

It's a super tough call that will take years to work out unless people start saying at like 30, I want to kill myself if I have Alzheimer's.

Agreed. That's why the law must include an allowance for people to make their wishes in such a circumstance clear via a personal directive, as we already do for other matters. I just turned 27 and I already have a personal directive, will and enduring power of attorney. As soon as the law allows, it will be updated to allow for assisted suicide should I be suffering from Alzheimer's and express a wish for it. It may not help those who already suffer from dementia, but it will help anyone in the future.

I saw my grandmother go through a decade-long descent into Alzheimer's and it's not a thing I would wish on Hitler himself, and far more than anything else, it's one of my biggest fears that I might eventually go through the same thing. I watched her have to be reminded on a regular basis that her daughter and husband had died; unable to recognize me or my Dad on some particularly bad days. I'd welcome death over that, personally.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

acumen posted:

Hate to break it to ya but most police and military are poo poo with their guns too. Being inaccurate isn't a huge deal though as long as you're safe, and there's a big difference between missing a deer by a couple inches and launching a round over the crest of a hill into who knows where/what. Safety and rules/regulations are much, much more important.

Yes, making sure people are behaving safely is more important than making sure they're accurate, but there's no reason not to do both. It's not a undue burden. As you point out, many police officers and soldiers are poo poo with their weapons, but they still have to meet a minimum standard periodically, so I don't think there's any reason not to treat civilian gun owners similarly.

quote:

Can't imagine people would be too happy with surprise home inspections to make sure fuckwad hasn't stashed a loaded 870 behind his bedframe though.

Also very true. At some point it may become a violation of privacy. Personally, I think the right solution is to make sure that, if you're found storing your firearms unsafely for any reason, the penalty is harsh.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

PT6A posted:

the penalty is harsh.

Punishment almost universally succeeds only in satisfying the desire to punish.

A much better solution would be court ordered retraining and perhaps a requirement to buy and use whatever part of the safety regime was missing. You want to reinforce that the defendant is within society and within the system, not against society and against the system.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ductonius posted:

Punishment almost universally succeeds only in satisfying the desire to punish.

A much better solution would be court ordered retraining and perhaps a requirement to buy and use whatever part of the safety regime was missing. You want to reinforce that the defendant is within society and within the system, not against society and against the system.

True enough. The punishment could just be "you hosed up, so now we get to search your house at random for the next year to make sure you're following all the rules" though. That would be both functional and punitive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
On the subject of punishment:

Mark Fenton, the officer the TPS decided to throw under the bus for the kettling and other aggressive police tactics during the G20 protests, was found guilty, he was sentenced on Wednesday. Hundreds of citizens were illegally detained and arrested, with almost no charges resulting.

His sentence, lose 30 days vacation.

Some additional background on the sentencing

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Actually I believe the sentence said that if he worked thirty days without salary he could keep his vacation time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

Actually I believe the sentence said that if he worked thirty days without salary he could keep his vacation time.

Harsh but fair.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Well if we just straight up took his vacation time he might not get to go to Florida with his kids or bank em for early retirement or who knows what. That would have been a bit too harsh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

Well if we just straight up took his vacation time he might not get to go to Florida with his kids or bank em for early retirement or who knows what. That would have been a bit too harsh.

I guess we can only hope for gator related justice.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

sliderule posted:

There's no reason we can't restrict the "cultural activity" of sport shooting and the weapons used therein to dedicated facilities. There's no reason for a sport shooter to need to a) own the firearm personally or b) possess a firearm outside of the context of the sport.

It's not about how law-abiding the "athlete" is, it's about preventing other people from having access to deadly weapons. Gun safes can be stolen wholesale and disassembled elsewhere; there is no such concept as a safe firearms store that is not manned and secured 24/7.

Now, back to tending my patch of deadly nightshade. Don't judge me, it's (horti-) cultural!

Restricted firearms are already restricted to firing ranges. It's illegal to shoot them anywhere else in Canada. This includes several kinds of long guns, and nearly all handguns. I would imagine most sport shooters want to own their guns for the same reason other athletes and hobbyists want to own their own equipment. Now, yes, you can't kill as many people as quickly with a bow and arrow, to use another weapon shooting example, as you could with a semi-auto rifle or handgun, so I guess it's a matter of drawing the line at the deadliness of the particular object, but people like to own stuff.

And I am making another assumption, I'll admit, but I would wager that a lot of sport shooters do own their guns within the context of the sport, and only use them for that purpose.

infernal machines posted:

On the subject of punishment:

Mark Fenton, the officer the TPS decided to throw under the bus for the kettling and other aggressive police tactics during the G20 protests, was found guilty, he was sentenced on Wednesday. Hundreds of citizens were illegally detained and arrested, with almost no charges resulting.

His sentence, lose 30 days vacation.

Some additional background on the sentencing

I hope he turns blue

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 17, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Just OLP stuff, the geniuses behind the OPP anti-hudak ads. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-party-politics Loving that it's the RCMP investigating them.

quote:

The RCMP have charged 3 former senior employees of the Ontario Provincial Police Association, a Toronto lawyer and a U.S. citizen with fraud over $5,000 and money laundering.

The charges follow a 19-month investigation by the RCMP Financial Crime and Anti-Corruption Units into allegations of improper conduct, the RCMP said in a news release.

The following people were charged in Toronto on Thursday with two counts each: Karl Walsh, 52, of West Gwillimbury, Ont.; James Christie, 48, of Midland, Ont.; Martin Bain, 50, of Oro-Medonte, Ont.; Andrew McKay, 54, of Toronto; and Francis Chantiam, 60, of New Jersey.

Christie, an OPP detective sergeant, was suspended from duty in March 2015, along with Walsh and Bain, both OPP constables.

Walsh was the chief administrative officer for the OPP union and ran for a provincial seat in the 2011 election for the Liberals. Christie, the union's president, and Bain, the union's vice-president, have been on voluntary leaves of absence from their union positions. McKay is a Toronto lawyer.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

did you expect an organization who rapes and sexually assaults it's own members to actually punish it's own?

lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You mean the cf?

Are they on trial for anything right now?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

You mean the cf?

Are they on trial for anything right now?

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/court-documents-reveal-horrific-allegations-in-toronto-police-gang-rape-case

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I was just about to post this: https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2016/06/14/police-document-details-gang-sex-assault-allegations-against-cops.html

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah, I don't know why he thought CF, they've got the sex assault problem solved with this new initiative.

quote:

The Canadian Forces has distributed 120,000 wallet-size cards to military personnel to remind them that sexual assault is an “inappropriate” behaviour.

The cards are to be carried by military staff on the job, including when they are sent overseas.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-troops-issued-wallet-cards-to-remind-them-that-sex-assault-is-inappropriate

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
Except what that program is trying to do is make it known that the problem with sexual assault is the attitude of most of its members thinking its alright in a professional work place (in the federal government no less) to make sexual jokes and behave inappropriately. This "boys will be boys" attitude is bullshit, and plenty of idiots in the CF think its because "drat SJWs!!" that these policies have been enacted and not the myriad of sexual assault and harassment cases that have been happening because of this environment.

P-Value Hack fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 17, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

P-Value Hack posted:

I know people like you Ikantski are autistic sperg programmers who work in their underwear from home, so have never had to interact in a professional setting in their life think it's all a joke, but whatever.

This seems like an odd take on Ikantski's sarcasm there.

I think the idea is it's understood that sort of behaviour is unacceptable in a professional setting, and if you have to hand out cards with the don'ts and don'ts of sexual harassment, it's likely that the issue is your members don't believe they're in a professional setting and a card is unlikely to address that problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, a wallet card telling you that sexual assault is an "inappropriate behaviour" is sure to change things.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

infernal machines posted:

This seems like an odd take on Ikantski's sarcasm there.

Yeah I took it out, I misinterpreted his sarcasm. I thought he was being sarcastic about the need to try and change that behaviour (thought he was one of the idiots who don't think it's a problem). I see now he's making fun of the half-assed card thing.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just to play Devil's Advocate: The card itself does nothing, but it's the first step in changing behaviour: setting expectations. No member of the force can now claim that there's any ambiguity about these rules: they've all got the loving card.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

As long as there is some one year old chainsmoking MWO who's tattoos end where rolled-up sleeves start and wears a para beret sneers at sexual assault claims as "if you can't roll with the hits get out of the ring, honey" a wallet card ain't gonna do poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look our good old Canadian boys suffer a lot with torturing people to death to liberate them. They PTSD. We need to cut our brace warriors some slack and if they want to bust a nut we should support them OK

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Our female cf should just toughen up and do their duty war is hell

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

As long as there is some one year old chainsmoking MWO who's tattoos end where rolled-up sleeves start and wears a para beret sneers at sexual assault claims as "if you can't roll with the hits get out of the ring, honey" a wallet card ain't gonna do poo poo.

Right, the only thing it does is eliminate the ignorance excuse. If (ha!) the CF were to crack down on sexist jokes (say), it would not be a credible defense to say that they did not receive the proper information ahead of time.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Up next: Wallet cards that tell you stealing things is inappropriate.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

namaste faggots posted:

Our female cf should just toughen up and do their duty war is hell

"Lie back and think of Ottawa"? :flaccid:

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Ikantski posted:

Yeah, I don't know why he thought CF, they've got the sex assault problem solved with this new initiative.

These are good. They should instead though have them tatooed onto the arm of any male in Canada once they hit puberty.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just put more women in leadership positions in the combat arms. My last battery commander (reserves) was a captain, who was an Elementary school teacher in real life, and she was switched on as hell.

Come to think about it, that whole unit was weird. BC, BK(2nd in command), BSM (battery sergeant major) and a bunch of other people were all university educated, and things ran pretty smooth in our little world.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

sliderule posted:

Right, the only thing it does is eliminate the ignorance excuse. If (ha!) the CF were to crack down on sexist jokes (say), it would not be a credible defense to say that they did not receive the proper information ahead of time.

There is absolutely no way that they don't already receive ample training to tell right from wrong in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Which of you guys's parody account is this?

https://twitter.com/CalgarySenate/status/743664190431211521