Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a hard time believing that if I saw that design in a world where Spider-Man wasn't a thing that I'd actually find it bad. I may not find it to be one of the greatest superhero designs ever like I do Spider-Man's actual costume. But I don't think the white spider would stick out so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like the white spider. I am more iffy on the white gloves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's the black costume's logo on the regular suit. It's not a good look.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pirate boots are poo poo unless on a pirate or pirate themed hero/villain.

:colbert:

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
I guess I'm one of the crazy ones because to me it's a really cool costume with the white accents. I mean I've seen Spideys costume since forever, keeping 90% of it and adding a flair isn't the worst thing in the world.
Why is it unholy to like costumes other than the standard one for Spider-Man again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TokenTrevor posted:

I guess I'm one of the crazy ones because to me it's a really cool costume with the white accents. I mean I've seen Spideys costume since forever, keeping 90% of it and adding a flair isn't the worst thing in the world.
Why is it unholy to like costumes other than the standard one for Spider-Man again?

People aren't complaining because it's different, they're complaining because they think it looks like poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TokenTrevor posted:

I think there's lots of great spiderman costumes out there, the black suit rules, even the Scarlet Spider outfits are pretty cool. Miles' costume is great too. This isn't bad because it's not the classic look, it's bad because it's actually bad.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Make the white parts black and it's instantly a good costume. The white is just too jarring.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Lurdiak posted:

People aren't complaining because it's different, they're complaining because they think it looks like poo poo.

Travis343 posted:

I think there's lots of great spiderman costumes out there, the black suit rules, even the Scarlet Spider outfits are pretty cool. Miles' costume is great too. This isn't bad because it's not the classic look, it's bad because it's actually bad.

I suppose that's fair but I could have sworn I saw someone post something about knowing how bad a medium is by how far from the standard costume it goes. If people just think it's ugly on its own merit well that I understand. I thought it was a how dare you change his costume thing and it was kinda throwing me off.

Silhouette posted:

Make the white parts black and it's instantly a good costume. The white is just too jarring.

I feel like doing that would take away the uniqueness of the thing. Although with games being how they are nowadays it'l probably change colors as your moral compass a la infamous

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Here's a very bad edit in photoshop I made instead of working just now.

I also made the white on his arms red while I was at it.

I still don't like the weird segmented parts on his outfit, it reminds me of those awful New 52 outfits.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I don't like it when the red doesn't connect down the legs to the boots. :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

I don't like it when the red doesn't connect down the legs to the boots. :colbert:

You don't like Spider-Man's normal costume?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Pirate boots are poo poo unless on a pirate or pirate themed hero/villain.

:colbert:

I'm just glad someone put a name to them because I didn't know what the gently caress to call them. I know a lot of heroes and villains really REALLY liked to wear them for about 20 or 30 years.

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't like the weird segmented parts on his outfit, it reminds me of those awful New 52 outfits.

What's bad about it? I think you did a fine job. I don't hate the white but the black looks better. Now...put some loving Buccaneer boots on him.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 18, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Never before have I felt such an overwhelming urge to purchase a PS4.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

At least that doesn't have the red start down his leg and then give up. Don't tease me! :doom:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

What's bad about it? I think you did a fine job.

Aw, thank you. I consider it a lovely job because the textures don't match at all and you can see harsh edges and smudges if you zoom in. I usually do a cleaner job than that, but I was feeling impatient.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

this, this i dig

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lurdiak posted:

IMO the white logo would work with a thick black border, so it echoes his eyes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It still looks terrible because now the logo is indistinct. I don't think the problem was it being white so much as the rest of the suit being too busy for the white to be prominent enough like it is on the black suit, and reducing it to black just makes it blend in, so sure it's no longer as eye catching but you could also just swap it out for more piping.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

What's bad about it? I think you did a fine job. I don't hate the white but the black looks better. Now...put some loving Buccaneer boots on him.

Thank you for getting me to GIS spider-man as a pirate, because it turns up some amazing pictures.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Squizzle posted:

Thank you for getting me to GIS spider-man as a pirate, because it turns up some amazing pictures.

Spectacular

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toshimo posted:

Spectacular

Web of

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Arachnis Project

e: Speaking of lazy edits—

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 18, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The black panther beast fusion looking good

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Travis343 posted:

The red doesn't go down the legs on Spider-Man's normal costume.

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't this basically Ben Reilly's suit?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

This artist has never seen breasts, Black people, or (mystifyingly) ears before.

Hey folks, let's take a moment to appreciate this almost-used design for Juggernaut:

It's either Kirby or Toth, so that nipple-spike counts as classic comics art from a master of the medium.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Great, now it's indistinguishable from any of the other dozens of costumes he has that are really just a minor variation of his normal suit

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Headsocks makin' a comeback

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Why does she look like she's fallen out of a game circa 2006? They don't have the same budget, but, how can this have been made the same year as this:

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 18, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Isn't this basically Ben Reilly's suit?

Nah, his suit looks way better.

No weird shoulder segments or misguided plating, the red goes all around his chest so the spider doesn't get lost in the dark blue, and the red pant stripe reaches the bottom of his suit. It's simple and elegant.

The only bad thing is the weird gloves.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The big cuffs on Captain Spidey's jacket match the big cuffs on the boots. More people should dress like that.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Headsocks makin' a comeback

XCOM retro mods looking good

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Decius posted:

Why does she look like she's fallen out of a game circa 2006? They don't have the same budget, but, how can this have been made the same year as this:

Because it's a game by NetherRealm who doesn't give a poo poo about anything except their games and not some artist wanting to make a movie. Literally the only reason this is being made is so they can make more Mortal Kombat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chaos Hippy posted:

The red doesn't go down the legs on Spider-Man's normal costume.

Yeah that was my point. Read the two posts again.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lurdiak posted:

The only bad thing is the weird gloves.

Aren't those extra webbing canisters?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Unreal Engine vs. the best game developers on the planet.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Aren't those extra webbing canisters?

I think he means how certain fingers have red'n'webby, and others have the solid blue-black. They literally only look good when he does Ditko hands. (To be fair, he does them a lot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah that was my point. Read the two posts again.

I should really set a time limit on my posting. 3am is not a good time for reading comprehension.

• Locked thread