Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I usually start people on the episode I start on. Which for Rick and Morty would be Anatomy Park and for MST3K would be Cave Dwellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Truant posted:

But how can you beat:

:jeb::"It's a new machine, it scans for things way up your butt."
:stonk:: "Run Morty, RUN!"

That whole episode felt like Harmon and Roiland just trying to see how much poo poo they could get away with in a cartoon show on cable television.

"These seeds aren't going to make it through customs unless they're in someone's rectum, Morty. They'll fall right out of mine. I've done this too many times, Morty, you're young, you've got your whole life ahead of you, your anal cavity is still taught yet malleable. You've gotta do it for grandpa, Morty! You've gotta put these seeds inside your butt."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rexides posted:

If you start people with the best episode, then the only way left for them is downhill.

The pilot is a litmus test for the show. There are definitely episodes that are way better than the pilot (all of them), but if you can't watch the pilot and say "yeah, that is a show I will probably enjoy seeing" then you will probably won't appreciate the rest and you are better off watching something else. Which is ok, because R&M is a special kind of show and I can't hold it against anyone who doesn't find the humor in stuffing things up people's butts in order to cross interdimensional border control.

I hated the pilot, and it's still my least favorite episode of season 1.

I watched the pilot when it first aired and decided this show wasn't for me. It wasn't until the season was over that I went back to give the second episode a shot.

The run of Lawnmower Dog -> Anatomy Park -> M. Night Shaym-Aliens for me basically went "ok maybe this show isn't so bad" -> "hey this show is actually pretty good" -> "holy god how have I not been watching this show it is amazing?!!"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That whole episode felt like Harmon and Roiland just trying to see how much poo poo they could get away with in a cartoon show on cable television.

"These seeds aren't going to make it through customs unless they're in someone's rectum, Morty. They'll fall right out of mine. I've done this too many times, Morty, you're young, you've got your whole life ahead of you, your anal cavity is still taught yet malleable. You've gotta do it for grandpa, Morty! You've gotta put these seeds inside your butt."

"They're not real robots, Morty, I meant they're cogs of the government!"

I need to rewatch the pilot actually, my roommate and I just put on nearly every other ep from s01 but it.

Honestly I think the pilot is better than Raising Gazorpazorp, just because its jokes are fresh as compared to the girls-don't-fart theme.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

"They're not real robots, Morty, I meant they're cogs of the government!"

I need to rewatch the pilot actually, my roommate and I just put on nearly every other ep from s01 but it.

Honestly I think the pilot is better than Raising Gazorpazorp, just because its jokes are fresh as compared to the girls-don't-fart theme.

It's a figure of speech, Morty. They're bureaucrats. I don't respect them. Just keep shooting, Morty! You have no idea what prison is like here!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I watched the pilot first and it really didn't prepare me for what the series was going to be. It felt like it was going to be Futurama by way of South Park, and the pilot could have just been an uncommonly good episode of either show. It's really only Rick's unhinged rambling at the very end that gives a taste of anything uniquely Rick and Morty. The pilot's fine, most people who would like the series will probably be won over by it, but if you have to make a hard sell on someone who's jaded by cartoons and offensive comedy and ironic sci-fi, Lawnmower Dog has a lot more to offer without being too insane.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
First episode I saw was the one with the child raping jellybean king. But what sold me on the series was the boobie buying line.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

starkebn posted:

I don't know about starting with it, but that is my favorite bit from all of the show so far.

I just showed someone that one cold open with the butter robot, but then started them with the pilot afterward. Getting someone into it with short clips of individual jokes seems to work pretty well for me in introducing people to it.

For me, I got overhyped before watching the show so the first couple episodes felt underwhelming at first (though I like them more after rewatches), but Anatomy Park was what sold me. On a dick joke, no less - my first huge laugh of the series was the giant dickshadow on the mountains.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I don't know why people don't like the pilot. It's a good episode. I've only shown the series to one other person and I just popped in the season one DVD and hit play. He was immediately interested ("Wait, this is a cartoon. That guy is drunk driving? This is the first episode?") and by the middle was totally hooked. The "take these seeds and shove them waaayyyy up your butthole" was the line that really got him.

In my apparently unpopular opinion, lawnmower dog is the weakest episode of the series. Weird to me that people like that one so much more than the pilot. I guess it ends up following the structure of the show better than the pilot, but that just seems obvious given that the pilot is, well, a pilot.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Pilot is good whole series is good whole series is better on weed. I actually show people the pilot first, they usually get hooked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zaphod42 posted:

Adult Swim shows more hosed up shows than Rick and Morty. Rick and Morty is quite reserved compared.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, R&M isn't even close to pushing the boundaries of Standards and Practices on Adult Swim.

Watch the last season of Moral Orel if you want to see what will make them blink.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick and Morty is on the content level of like, Family Guy or American Dad(TBS now I think?). And those shows exist on Fox without any problem. Although, Rick and Morty just hits you a little harder with the drama and great storytelling, which is why it's legit good and not edgy trash.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I, for one, am ready to have the argument about American Dad again

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, R&M isn't even close to pushing the boundaries of Standards and Practices on Adult Swim.

Watch the last season of Moral Orel if you want to see what will make them blink.

What made them blink was the hosed up stuff played straight instead of as a joke. Which makes sense.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mr. pickles is way way way way way worst than Rick and Morty.

Its also way way way way way way worst than Rick and Morty.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr. Pickles is legit the worst thing on AS.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm amazed it's gotten a second season.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Mr. Pickles would have been funny as a single one-off short.

It's somehow an entire multi-season television show.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Gazorpazorp is the worst episode but it's a solid 7. Show remind me of original run Futurama in that there are varrying degrees of good but no bad episodes.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
What the gently caress. The commentary is so good. Like half of season 1 episode 2 is beatboxing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Aafter posted:

What the gently caress. The commentary is so good. Like half of season 1 episode 2 is beatboxing.
This and Venture Bros both have excellent commentary tracks, but for opposite reasons. The Rick & Morty commentary is reasonably focused on actually talking about the episode in question, while the VB guys might occasionally remember that they're supposed to be talking about the show you're watching.

Also, the commentary track with Gabe Newell and writers from Valve Software was pretty good. Partly because it gave a different perspective, but mostly for Gaben's "I wonder where they got that idea" when Rick starts using his portal gun.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 18, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zim Commentary is great too. Aside from the parts that were cut for things Nick didn't like leaving only empty air.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I bought them on iTunes so no commentary for me. :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MrAristocrates posted:

Geez, your really weren't kidding.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Mordja posted:

Geez, your really weren't kidding.

I don't know who is still interested by edgelord stuff like that with no substance that it can get so much funding. Superjail! was great, because the ultra violence was always super creative and well animated, and it never relied on it, having great writing throughout. Mr Pickles is literally "what if a dog was like I dunno SATAN or something??? what if he was really violent but people acted like he wasn't????!!?"

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like how Mr. Pickles always takes care of his little crippled boy though.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Megaspel posted:

I don't know who is still interested by edgelord stuff like that with no substance that it can get so much funding.

Teenagers? I am willing to admit I would have gladly gobbled that poo poo up 20 years ago.

maybe even 10 years ago...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The most uncomfortable cosplay.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Owns. The naked, hairy man-arms really bring it to the next level.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Megaspel posted:

I don't know who is still interested by edgelord stuff like that with no substance that it can get so much funding. Superjail! was great, because the ultra violence was always super creative and well animated, and it never relied on it, having great writing throughout. Mr Pickles is literally "what if a dog was like I dunno SATAN or something??? what if he was really violent but people acted like he wasn't????!!?"

isn't that just marmaduke?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The_Doctor posted:

JESUS KID DON'T TAKE CANDY FROM THAT JELLYBEAN

Seriously, well done. And creepy. Creepy as hell. Ugh. (...The kid's parents are standing just out of frame, right? Right?)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, this looks like something from a nightmare.

And I mean that in a good way.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Kesper North posted:

JESUS KID DON'T TAKE CANDY FROM THAT JELLYBEAN

Seriously, well done. And creepy. Creepy as hell. Ugh. (...The kid's parents are standing just out of frame, right? Right?)

They're playing poker and drinking in the bar off screen

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

bull3964 posted:

I really hated that show but am curious what the things that make AS blink are?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's more depressing than Seymour.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's more depressing than Seymour.

Jurassic Bark had a lot of good jokes in it.

PROFESSOR! LAVA! HOT!

That episode of Moral Orel was just one long uncomfortable dawning realization.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nurse Bendy's season 3 episode (Alone) is probably the worst thing I've ever seen on TV and I love it so much

basically I believe the story goes that Lazzo specifically requested that the show be as dark as possible, and starburns were like "got it chief" and they went way too far and Lazzo cancelled them midseason because it was way more than he expected

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 20, 2016

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Babe Magnet posted:

Nurse Bendy's season 3 episode (Alone) is probably the worst thing I've ever seen on TV and I love it so much

basically I believe the story goes that Lazlo specifically requested that the show be as dark as possible, and starburns were like "got it chief" and they went way too far and Lazlo cancelled them midseason because it was way more than he expected

And what's funny is that the "darkness" of that episode was essentially just backstory explaining why some of the characters in Morel Orel behave as oddly as they do.

Of course that explanation is consistently 'life-wrecking trauma with almost no comedic potential", so yeah I suppose it was kinda dark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Alone is one of the most unrepentantly dark and disturbing things I've ever seen. I love it.

• Locked thread