Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

khy posted:

This is too good not to share.

Or not to repost if someone shared already.

Does anyone know the source? The "KP" signature doesn't give me much to go on.

Unrelated: I like playing support, but it's maddening when I join quick match and nobody else knows how to do a proper team composition. If I go ahead and be the change I want to see in the team, we end up with no support, and that would be even worse. It's a tough situation with no real solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It just keeps going. :allears:

Bluhman posted:

(note: despite feeling infinitely more satisfying to do, activating a Reinhardt or Lucio ult in midair will delay the ult until you hit the ground without any benefit which has hosed me up on more than one occasion.)
Counterpoint: jumping from a balcony or ledge on the enemy team and triggering Rein's ult in midair is amazing. :colbert:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As a huge Symmetra player, I gotta say that Widow ult is basically the best thing in the game. Being able to perfectly plan an ambush with a couple sentries and a ball'n'zap combo right when someone comes around the corner is hugely satisfying. It also lets you just set up sentries proactively when you can see a couple people using a particular flank path.

Satisfying play that sounds simple last night: playing symm on Vostalya A defense. 10 seconds in I saw a Reaper skirt the edge and go for a flank across the gap. I had stuck a sentry on the wall back there during prep so I ran back then then managed to time my fusion ball exactly right to hit him just as he crossed the back doorway and the sentry. He wraithed back to the small health pack with like 5 HP but it was not enough to save him with the laser chainsaw already revved up a bit. Then he left the game a second later. :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
How do you stay alive as Mercy though? I know you have her Shift ability but whenever I play her I feel like I spend half the game running back from spawn. If I stay at the back of the team then I get picked off by Reapers and Tracers and Genjis because my team's not looking back, and if I hit Shift and fly to the front I instantly get focus-fired down by the frontline of the other team. I want to git gud at her but for some reason she feels wwwwwwaaayyyy squishier than Lucio, with whom I can get through entire matches with like 1 death because I know when to hit the speed boost and run away. She's way less fun than Lucio to me because with her you have to depend on your team (who are usually idiots) to protect you, whereas he's much more self-reliant. With Lucio I also generally just have an intuitive sense of where I should be --- wherever that number under my crosshairs is closest to 5 -- but with her it feels like I never know where to stand.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As you've 90% figured out if your team is too dumb to protect you and enemy flankers are too good to die to your pistol Lucio is a much better healer with all the survivability advantages he has.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zoness posted:

also people who don't switch off symmetra after point A might be ok but people who switch TO a second symmetra on the last point on payload probably deserve some special kind of hell

Symmetra is strongest when the enemy team is clumped up and has tunnel vision on an objective, so the last point of a payload map is where she really shines. As long as the player knows how to flank without alerting anyone, wait until the enemy team is grouped, and then prioritize targets (healer>anti-flank>dps>tank), they can hack the legs off a push at worst or team kill at best.

I've literally never been in a match where another Symmetra did this though so in a way I agree with you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

demota posted:

Unrelated: I like playing support, but it's maddening when I join quick match and nobody else knows how to do a proper team composition. If I go ahead and be the change I want to see in the team, we end up with no support, and that would be even worse. It's a tough situation with no real solution.

Not having a support is not actually worse. A support is only as good as their teammates - a Mercy healing five absolute dimwits isn't going to win the game for those dimwits, no matter how good the Mercy is.

Imagined posted:

How do you stay alive as Mercy though? I know you have her Shift ability but whenever I play her I feel like I spend half the game running back from spawn. If I stay at the back of the team then I get picked off by Reapers and Tracers and Genjis because my team's not looking back, and if I hit Shift and fly to the front I instantly get focus-fired down by the frontline of the other team. I want to git gud at her but for some reason she feels wwwwwwaaayyyy squishier than Lucio, with whom I can get through entire matches with like 1 death. She's way less fun than Lucio to me because with her you have to depend on your team (who are usually idiots) to protect you, whereas he's much more self-reliant.

Mercy's gun is surprisingly good, and healing an idiot isn't actually THAT important. If you see them coming, you can probably drive off a Tracer with your gun. Against Reaper and Genji, there's not much you can do except pay attention to notice them flanking and try to stay away from where they'll pop out. She can't possibly outdamage Reaper at close range (though if she notices him coming and preemptively avoids him, she can pepper him down pretty well from outside his range), and she's unlikely to outdamage a decent Genji. Other than that, sadly, there's not much you can do if your team isn't up to the task. This is a game of picks and counterpicks and hard counters, and if your team isn't willing to protect their squishy supports from characters who specialize in killing squishy supports, the best you can do is either use clever positioning to avoid them or just play a different character. I'll say it again - getting healed is a privilege, not a right, and if your team doesn't deserve a Mercy then there's no shame in switching.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm ashamed to say I was taken out by two mercy players healing each other and shooting me as Reaper on KOTH.

They then teabagged me. I feel it was deserved.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Not having a support is not actually worse. A support is only as good as their teammates - a Mercy healing five absolute dimwits isn't going to win the game for those dimwits, no matter how good the Mercy is.

That is when I go for something more self sufficient, even if it wouldn't be my first choice for a role. 76 for DPS or Roadhog for tank being my top two in this situation.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Imagined posted:

How do you stay alive as Mercy though? I know you have her Shift ability but whenever I play her I feel like I spend half the game running back from spawn. If I stay at the back of the team then I get picked off by Reapers and Tracers and Genjis because my team's not looking back, and if I hit Shift and fly to the front I instantly get focus-fired down by the frontline of the other team. I want to git gud at her but for some reason she feels wwwwwwaaayyyy squishier than Lucio, with whom I can get through entire matches with like 1 death. She's way less fun than Lucio to me because with her you have to depend on your team (who are usually idiots) to protect you, whereas he's much more self-reliant.

You have to know where to position yourself in the moment. Can't be at the front when there's fighting there and can't be right at the back when there's a flanker. You have to move yourself to the least dangerous position (which can change it disappear quickly) and be ready to fight back or get a health pack. If your team can't cover you enough for you to not keep dying then there's probably not that much you can do aside from tell them the problem and what you need them to do and hope they don't go dota on you in chat.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

demota posted:

You can actually hurt the team by playing Mercy if you have no help from your team. I was getting the poo poo kicked out of me last night on Mercy on a Reinhardt/doubletTracer/Genji team, so I switched to Mei, who I am reasonably strong with, and we actually did much better as a group and ultimately won in large part because it wasn't a 6v5 with a permadead Mercy anymore.

Or you can just view Tracer/Tracer/Genji/Hanzo/Reaper teams as an opportunity to get better with someone you don't play much. Why yes, we do need a third tracer!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If two people instalock Tracer/Mccree/Genji/Hanzo within the first 5 seconds of joining a match, it is your duty to get the rest of the team to pick that class as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

demota posted:

http://kpfightmaster.tumblr.com/post/146030377349/more-antics-from-the-attacking-team-everyone-sure

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Symmetra is strongest when the enemy team is clumped up and has tunnel vision on an objective, so the last point of a payload map is where she really shines. As long as the player knows how to flank without alerting anyone, wait until the enemy team is grouped, and then prioritize targets (healer>anti-flank>dps>tank), they can hack the legs off a push at worst or team kill at best.

She's also really good during the payload push portion of the map but ONLY if your team is capable of arresting the payload progress, because a good Symm will (imo) always be setting up turrets just in front of where they next payload fight is going to be. If you're at the stage in a game where you've fought off the enemy and are nudging they payload back a little and you have a Symm that is NOT sticking up forward sentries you have a bad Symm. You can make every fight a total meatgrinder once you have a sense of where the enemies will be coming from, but you also need a team that will proactively fight around them instead of just pulling back. If the push has a huge amount of momentum you can't do nearly as much, though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Imagined posted:

How do you stay alive as Mercy though? I know you have her Shift ability but whenever I play her I feel like I spend half the game running back from spawn. If I stay at the back of the team then I get picked off by Reapers and Tracers and Genjis because my team's not looking back, and if I hit Shift and fly to the front I instantly get focus-fired down by the frontline of the other team. I want to git gud at her but for some reason she feels wwwwwwaaayyyy squishier than Lucio, with whom I can get through entire matches with like 1 death because I know when to hit the speed boost and run away. She's way less fun than Lucio to me because with her you have to depend on your team (who are usually idiots) to protect you, whereas he's much more self-reliant. With Lucio I also generally just have an intuitive sense of where I should be --- wherever that number under my crosshairs is closest to 5 -- but with her it feels like I never know where to stand.

The answer is "if you're pugging with pubbies, play Zen and headshot fools, if people can't stay alive with your harmony orb on them then they were just going to drag you down as mercy with them anyways".

In an actual group with communication and an actual composition, "calling out the flankers before they've flanked you to death" and "having snipers/builders in positions you can fly away to easily" are your go-tos. Also worth noting is that a lot of pubbies are more concerned with their KDR to the exclusion of, you know, actually winning the game, so a bunch of them running 3/4ths of the way across the map to chase you down while your team takes the payload on a leisurely sunday drive to the B point is, while frustrating, both "helpful to your team overall" and "not something another group that's actually playing to win is going to do". Also also, if the person you're healing is aware enough to duck behind a corner and start going to town on the person that's jumped you (because you called it out in voice), either the person attacking you is going to die fast because they're not paying attention to the person lining up chain headshots on them, or they'll turn to focus on the person you're healing.

e:

Broken Cog posted:

If two people instalock Tracer/Mccree/Genji/Hanzo within the first 5 seconds of joining a match, it is your duty to get the rest of the team to pick that class as well.

If the first two people to lock pick the same two people, I always assume that today is monobattle day and lock in with that person as well. Win or lose, it's usually entertaining.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 17, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
If you really care about winning and think you have a bad comp because of all attack/no support/no tank then Lucio is a solid bet.

Pub games are 98% random chance and he's the best shot at swinging it in your favor IMO. Getting mad at losing a pub game is like getting mad at coin flips.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think I found Shayed's alt account

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ddraig posted:

I think I found Shayed's alt account

I can't imagine hating myself that much

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I grouped with a dude who had 20+ hours on Zenyatta, and this was before the Widowmaker nerf. That's some Grade A masochism.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

She's also really good during the payload push portion of the map but ONLY if your team is capable of arresting the payload progress, because a good Symm will (imo) always be setting up turrets just in front of where they next payload fight is going to be. If you're at the stage in a game where you've fought off the enemy and are nudging they payload back a little and you have a Symm that is NOT sticking up forward sentries you have a bad Symm. You can make every fight a total meatgrinder once you have a sense of where the enemies will be coming from, but you also need a team that will proactively fight around them instead of just pulling back. If the push has a huge amount of momentum you can't do nearly as much, though.

Are you Ickarus, because holy poo poo did she annihilate our team with an offensive Symmetra last night. Just chainsaw eliminations stacked on chainsaw eliminations, it was insane.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Edmond Dantes posted:

It just keeps going. :allears:

Counterpoint: jumping from a balcony or ledge on the enemy team and triggering Rein's ult in midair is amazing. :colbert:

Confirmed. I got bounced in the air by a Junkrat mine as I started the ult. I ended up surfing towards the enemy team and I didn't do the Hammerstrike until after I hit the ground.

Very satisfying.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I ran into this winner the other day.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

teams that try to forward hold on numbani are the worst

it never works, just stop

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think organized forward holds do work but you have to do the vertical hold properly which is not something that works well in pub games. The point itself isn't really an elegant choke.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I lose far more when we try to just hold the point. I like setting up for a first hold at the bus under the bridge. You just have to cover the 4 points that all filter into the choke. Once that breaks you need to immediately retreat though.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Today I learned genji can reflect junkrats traps if they're in the air. Horseshit.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fibby Boy posted:

Today I learned genji can reflect junkrats traps if they're in the air. Horseshit.

I accidentally took out a Torbjorn's turret with my conc mine thanks to this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
genji should really start a marketing campaign called "Will it Bounce?"

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I wish I could create a second profile for practicing heroes I am bad at or for letting a friend try out the game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MY ABACUS! posted:

I wish I could create a second profile for practicing heroes I am bad at or for letting a friend try out the game.

no, not my stats!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

demota posted:

I ran into this winner the other day.

their average solo kills is just under 5 :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

:zenpop:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It must be because they win their games so quickly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If your average objective time isn't 40 seconds minimum I'm gonna make fun of you :colbert:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

I did it last night

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Broseph Brostar posted:

How much do you wanna bet that 51 'Most Eliminations' game came from playing braindead AI?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the attacking team has to be phenomenally bad to hold them from their spawn on that map

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

How much do you wanna bet that 51 'Most Eliminations' game came from playing braindead AI?

I don't think the game saves any stats from AI/Brawl matches

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
It does, but the AI stats are on a different page. The drop down menu up there shows Quick-Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Right now I only play Reaper if it's a koth map or I'm responding to a tank-heavy composition, and even on Koth I'm usually responding to tanks. I'm trying to find situations that recommend him on his own merit. Talking with a friend we were theorycrafting about whether he's an adequate tank/support escort on attacking payload maps since he hits like a truck against flankers, can keep tanks from bullying through Reinhardt's shield, and can sort of break off to freelance with Shadowstep if you run into a distant problem like a sniper.

Any thoughts/experience on this?