Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

an overdue owl posted:

I think this is a wonderful thread, BravestOfTheLamps and you've made a lot of really excellent and interesting points. Rothfuss is also a terrible writer, make no mistake about that! I think you might have been jumping the gun a bit here though. The simile here is really overwrought and not very effective, but it does make sense. When he evokes the hint of a sunset against grey clouds I suppose he wants to make the reader think of a subtle tint or a slight cast of colour against an overwhelmingly dark background. The 'emotion' in his voice is subtly effecting his otherwise stoic demeanour. It's clumsy, especially in context, but it does make sense.

quote:

he said, emotion touching the edges of his voice like a hint of red sunset against the slate-grey clouds.

If you looked at just the simile without any of the context, what is it trying to say? To me, a red sunset is something beautiful and experiencing it after slate-grey clouds is a nice experience. Is it pride, love or happiness after being so gloomy all of the time?

Also a lot of Rothfusses descriptions are very elemental for some reason - comparing things to stones and fire and thunder and...clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

He was Nameless in three parts.
Don't. Even. Joke. About. That.

Flattened Spoon posted:

Also a lot of Rothfusses descriptions are very elemental for some reason - comparing things to stones and fire and thunder and...clouds.
I still don't understand how the stone on a riverbed metaphor for lethality is supposed to work.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy the Literary Works of Patrick Rothfuss; they are Works of Merit; the Criticism presented in this Thread is in valid; and based upon Prejudices; Out Dated Notions; Lyrical Pretensions; Not Seeing The Forest For The Trees; I can not condone this Insulting Conduct.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Enhydra lutris posted:

I enjoy the Literary Works of Patrick Rothfuss; they are Works of Merit; the Criticism presented in this Thread is in valid; and based upon Prejudices; Out Dated Notions; Lyrical Pretensions; Not Seeing The Forest For The Trees; I can not condone this Insulting Conduct.

This honestly hurt to read. I'm impressed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a rereg of some old poster. I recognize the annoying bold bits and poo poo opinions.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's a rereg of some old poster. I recognize the annoying bold bits and poo poo opinions.

I assumed it was a joke based on TV Tropes?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It may be, but they used to post in the bad thread for a while and every now and then I would bump into them on GBS or TVIV and s/he would be typing the same exact way for everything. Been awhile and I can't remember the old user name though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Avshalom is a treasure.

Read-through cancelled until Solice Kirsk apologizes for his unkind words

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Avshalom is a treasure.

Read-through cancelled until Solice Kirsk apologizes for his unkind words

Avshalom is good. Enhydra lutris is not Avshalom. If they are in fact the same person, the Avshalom gimmick is the one they should have stuck with because the shine's gone off the "schizophrenic tagmeister" schtick.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I didn't check the reg date and thought it was another new alt.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Meh, never liked Avshalom's schtick. But if an apology is what it takes to keep this thing moving then:

Apologies are pale shadows of forgotten slights. As slights have power, apologies have power. Apologies can light fires in the minds of men. Apologies can wring tears from the hardest hearts.

And for that reason, I apologize.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
????? Do not Insult me; I am expressing my Opinions and Facts in a courteous manner.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Apologies are as deadly as a sharp, pokey stick hiding under tall grass

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Apologies are as lethal as a secret dog turd lurking under a lovely leaf pile beckoning to be leapt into

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Apologies are as lethal as a secret dog turd lurking under a lovely leaf pile beckoning to be leapt into upon.

:colbert:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Her gossamer eyes beckoned me, but with malice underneath, like the deadliest fart pooling beneath the covers

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Turdis McWordis posted:

I do need a particularly goony looking Rothfuss-inspired avatar, however. I'm leaning towards this:

It's time. What's the best Rothfuss word vomit to accompany this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"It was a beard in three parts."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.

I learned things of a less academic nature as well. Some of my Arcanum bunkmates taught me a card game called dogsbreath. I returned the favor by giving an impromptu lesson in psychology, probability, and manual dexterity. I won almost two whole talents before they stopped inviting me back to their games.

I doubt you can really understand how embarrassing it is to only own two shirts, to cut your own hair as best you can because you can’t afford a barber. I lost a button and couldn’t spare a shim to buy a matching one. I tore out the knee of my pants and had to make due with the wrong color thread for mending. I couldn’t afford salt for my meals, or drinks on my rare evenings out with friends.

So. With slow care rather than stealth we must approach the subject of a certain woman. Her wildness is of such degree, I fear approaching her too quickly even in a story. Should I move recklessly, I might startle even the idea of her into sudden flight.

I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 17, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.

how did I never notice how painfully neckbearded this line is

I mean, I'm pretty sure that were you to repeat this out loud, you would be serenaded by a chorus of fedora-wearing atheists while Dick Dorkins himself presented you with a ribbon labelling you "The Most Enlightened"

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

"Okay, sure, you may have actually gotten somewhere with her...but she's my waifu and she'll always love me best. (All those other men don't really mean anything to her. We have this pure and special connection that allows me to know these things on a level you just can't understand.)"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I mean he's literally the fantasy embodiment of the nerd who posts frantically on the internet about the unfairness of the friendzone

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Solice Kirsk posted:

"It was a beard in three parts."

That was the first one I thought of.

If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.

I learned things of a less academic nature as well. Some of my Arcanum bunkmates taught me a card game called dogsbreath. I returned the favor by giving an impromptu lesson in psychology, probability, and manual dexterity. I won almost two whole talents before they stopped inviting me back to their games.

I doubt you can really understand how embarrassing it is to only own two shirts, to cut your own hair as best you can because you can’t afford a barber. I lost a button and couldn’t spare a shim to buy a matching one. I tore out the knee of my pants and had to make due with the wrong color thread for mending. I couldn’t afford salt for my meals, or drinks on my rare evenings out with friends.

So. With slow care rather than stealth we must approach the subject of a certain woman. Her wildness is of such degree, I fear approaching her too quickly even in a story. Should I move recklessly, I might startle even the idea of her into sudden flight.

Alas, most of these are too long.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending
sweaty trash

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I feel this one would go with the picture fantastically. Might want to include quotation marks for your own safety.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

New av looking good! Well, so to speak.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
I went looking for fresh vomit in his Twitter account, but it's surprisingly restrained, awkward parenting anecdotes and lots of outside projects aside.

Wait. This is the soft bigotry of lowered expectations, isn't it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I feel this one would go with the picture fantastically. Might want to include quotation marks for your own safety.

It really does show the problem with Kvothe as a character. I can imagine some curmudgeonly Winston Churchill type character delivering that line and it being hilarious, but in the mouth of a 15 year old it becomes laughably creepy.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

I mean he's literally the fantasy embodiment of the nerd who posts frantically on the internet about the unfairness of the friendzone

Thing is, in the mind of a 15 year old nerd, it's a totally normal thing to think! In the mind of a 20-something adult with broad life experiences recounting being a 15 year old nerd? Not so much.

In the mind of a 30-something fantasy author pretending to be a 20-something adult with broad life experiences? :yikes:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

See, and when reading the book I actually thought it was a decent passage - the context is that this guy Denna's with is hilariously desperate to keep her attention and Kvothe is, while a little melancholy because he's head over heels for Denna, taking solace in the fact that at least he's her friend. The problem is that without context the line is basically concentrated autism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thought that was about Fela. Not like it matters, all the female characters are interchangeable.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ChickenWing posted:

See, and when reading the book I actually thought it was a decent passage - the context is that this guy Denna's with is hilariously desperate to keep her attention and Kvothe is, while a little melancholy because he's head over heels for Denna, taking solace in the fact that at least he's her friend. The problem is that without context the line is basically concentrated autism.

See, though, I don't think it's solace at all. I read it as him genuinely thinking that he and Denna have a deeper connection than she and any other guy she dates. She's meant to be him because he's seen her (ostensibly) true face or whatever.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thought that was about Fela. Not like it matters, all the female characters are interchangeable.

IIRC, Fela never got much more than compliments on how good looking and intelligent she was. She wasn't the love interest, and there was never a risk of her being the love interest, because Denna is a perfect angel.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
You guys might be talking about different quotes. The one in my avatar is about Fela. The longer, goonier one is Denna.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You've really taken that gimmick and run with it, huh

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
No reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where's jivjov been? I'm starting to get worried guys. What if he's started writing Doors of Stone again?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
He's hanging out in the Nintendo 3DS thread I think. Or the Zelda thread. The two are interchangeable.

The point is he's in Games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Where's jivjov been? I'm starting to get worried guys. What if he's started writing Doors of Stone again?

Hi, how are you?

I'm reading Wheel of Time at the moment, but after that I may do a Kingkiller reread!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

jivjov posted:

Hi, how are you?

I'm reading Wheel of Time at the moment, but after that I may do a Kingkiller reread!

Surely you haven't exhausted the entirety of the western canon and can spend time reading something that isn't pure garbage instead? Why don't you grab "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" for a change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

jivjov posted:

Hi, how are you?

Well, a change is as good as a rest, I suppose.

• Locked thread