Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is this the appropriate place to ask about headsets? You know for gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little Bitch Man posted:

Is this the appropriate place to ask about headsets? You know for gaming?

buy headphones and then buy a mic like an antlion, modmic, or even a desktop one
dont buy "gaming" gear unless you are okay with the 50% markup you pay for the convenience of mediocre headphones with a built in terrible mic

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fauxtool posted:

buy headphones and then buy a mic like an antlion, modmic, or even a desktop one
dont buy "gaming" gear unless you are okay with the 50% markup you pay for the convenience of mediocre headphones with a built in terrible mic

This is the correct answer.

ATH-M50x or SHP9500 + a modmic (or DIY modmic)

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

Idk, my sound blaster arena headset had a pretty good quality mic, though only one side of the speaker works now.

I'll check out these modmics, I didn't know they were a thing, thanks.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little Bitch Man posted:

Idk, my sound blaster arena headset had a pretty good quality mic, though only one side of the speaker works now.

I'll check out these modmics, I didn't know they were a thing, thanks.

im positive it isnt actually a "good" mic, just comparable to the garbage that everyone else is using. Good mics are really noticeable. Go on twitch and listen to a top viewed streamer wearing headphones and then compare it to one of the girl streamers wearing a gaming headset.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just get a ModMic or a desktop mic like a Blue Snowball or something. Though if you're getting a Snowball, hopefully the game you're playing supports push-to-talk since people will hear everything in your drat room. Or you can go the streamer route and get a fancy mic, boom arm, shock mount + pop filter from all the donation$$$

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Man I'm loving bummed. I have 3 pairs of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros because they are my favorite headphones, but each one of them had the right ear fail after 6-12 months. So when I was younger and reckless with money, I would just buy another pair instead of trying to fix it.

Today I tried fixing one of them and neither ear gets audio now. Is there someone or a service that puts a new cable on headphones for a reasonable price (I don't need super fancy fashionable wiring)? My soldering skills aren't up to par for this kind of work I guess, or I'm doing something wrong.

e: also to the above discussion, my solution is a Blue Yeti Microphone, shock mount, a boom arm, and a desk mount drilled into my desk. Bit of an investment but I've been using it for 4-5 years without any problems, whereas headsets and cheap mics would crap out much sooner.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 4, 2016

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Budget - I'm looking for something under $70
Source - Desktop PC, motherboard audio
Isolation Requirements - Not sold either way, but lean isolated.
Preferred Type of Headphone - circum-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't have any preferences here.
Past Headphones - I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD497 I bought in 2003. I loved that, but it leaked a little too much sound.
Preferred Music - These will mostly be for VoIP and games but I listen to some rap, metal, progrock, chillwave

I've been buying lovely cheap "gaming" headsets for the last 10 years and replacing them every 1-2 years as the mic or headphones break. I have a cheapass desktop mic that sounds fine and need headphones to go with it. Sharing a study with my partner, so I would prefer isolation. They sit about 6 feet away, wearing their own pair of headphones so I just don't want to be distracting. I listen to music pretty loud sometimes. How would the Sennheiser HD 518 work for me? It's within my price-range and a brand I trust from before. I know they're open but one of the amazon reviewers said it's not so bad as other open headphones like the 598. It seems like open designs have a better pricepoint in general. This should be a comfortable pair since I'll be wearing them 3+ hours a day.

e: ended up doing some more reading in this thread and elsewhere--gonna buy SHP9500 which are the same price on newegg. I'll just deal with the leakage

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 5, 2016

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone have mee audio m6 pro? It seems to have what I'm looking for IEM with memory wire and an inline mic. The headfi reviews look pretty good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have a decent closed back headphones and desktop mic. I have some trouble talking on voicechat because i cant really hear my own voice when i talk. Is there a setting for that or do i need less isolating headphones?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Turn on the mic input monitoring.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am looking for a under $200 wireless over the ear headphone that I can use at work. I work in a post office plant so I need something that will be durable, good battery life, and not fall off my head easily. I have seen a few people with the Beats wireless headset, but not sure if they would be the best option. Thanks for any suggestions

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I've had an LG Tone+ headset that I used constantly on a daily basis for over two years, but yesterday one of the earbuds finally failed. I don't have the time/inclination to learn soldering to fix it, and need a new pair of bluetooth headphones for work/jogging. I am in love with the IEM style, especially since regular earbuds and most headphones end up hurting my ears after a short time. I listen primarily to rock and electronic music.

I spent $80 for the Tone+ back when, and would like something similar in terms of style and price, but there are roughly eight billion different types of these headsets now, apparently, and reviews seem mixed on basically all of them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a recommendation for a pair of Bluetooth headphones for running. My dad bought a pair of RedFox brand buds, and they're apparently pretty poo poo. Preferably they'll be as compact as possible and sweat proof/resistant; my budget is about $150 but could maybe stretch a bit. Ideally it'll be something available on Amazon so I can get easy, quick shipping.

Thanks!

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

lostleaf posted:

Anyone have mee audio m6 pro? It seems to have what I'm looking for IEM with memory wire and an inline mic. The headfi reviews look pretty good.

I just ordered a set, should be here by Friday, I'll let you know how they turn out. Seems like the main complaint is that they can be a bit piercing in the high end, but I'm sure that's nothing some EQ can't adjust. There doesn't really seem to be anything else in that price range that had what I was looking for (durable/replaceable cables, and it comes with 2 sets! One with in-line mic/controls, and a regular stereo set). It was between these and the Shure SE215s; and at half the price, I figured It was worth a shot.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

So I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums before realizing that I really can't stand the 'cup' style of earpad, especially compared to the flat earpads on my old Grado pair. Does anyone have experience with replacing or modding the pads with some flat ones (or hell, some well-shaped foam)? Aside from this the headphones fit pretty much all my needs.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Are these things replacing the Piston line?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Happy birthday to me. :toot:

Likely/hopefully my last headphone purchase, as I'd like to keep these forever. I've already listened to a couple albums through a Schiit stack and they sound amazing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hey guys, I have two questions:

1) Where can I buy a headphone jack that has screw terminals, rather than soldering? My at-home headphones jack is gone and I'd rather not solder. I'm in Australia, which makes this trickier.
2) My at-work headphones are currently being driven by onboard/motherboard sound. Most audio I listen to comes from Spotify Premium, soundcloud, pocketcasts, the likes. Would there be any benefit to purchasing a DAC/Headphone amp for this environment? I can't hear any particular distortion, but there is a very, very faint hum.

Both sets are Audio Technica M-50s, if that helps.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

68k posted:

Likely/hopefully my last headphone purchase, as I'd like to keep these forever. I've already listened to a couple albums through a Schiit stack and they sound amazing.

You'll want to replace the ear pads and headband padding eventually, and probably take it apart to clean out hair/dust from the driver, but they should last basically forever. I've had mine for well over a decade and they're still going strong (and arguably my favorite all-around pair of headphones).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Amazon has Sennheiser HD 518s for $45.

I couldn't resist and snagged them. They'll be my first open-backed headphones. I love my ATH M40Xs, but the isolation can be a bit much if my roommate needs to ask me something. I'm interested in the extra lean towards bass as well rather than neutral studio output.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NewFatMike posted:

Amazon has Sennheiser HD 518s for $45.

I couldn't resist and snagged them. They'll be my first open-backed headphones. I love my ATH M40Xs, but the isolation can be a bit much if my roommate needs to ask me something. I'm interested in the extra lean towards bass as well rather than neutral studio output.

They're sold out at that price, but at $50 they're still a great deal.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mine just came in this evening, and first impressions are such:

These are way comfy. Super comfy. They are a little more firm on my head than my M40Xs, but I imagine that they will need a little break in time on my enormously sized head.

Since this is my second pair of "serious" headphones, I had heard people talk about sound stage, but now I think I get it especially coming from sealed studio monitor style headphones. It's hard to describe aside from the now cliche "it's like you're where they're playing the instruments".

Being open back is definitely changing how it sounds, but I also haven't really noticed any sound leaking in yet aside from my laptop keyboard clacking in every once in a while. Even singing along to a few tracks, I couldn't hear myself so I guess being enveloped in the sound is still a bonus if you're like me and don't want to hear anything else.

On a few tracks (especially from the album Run the Jewels 2) the bass can be a little overpowering to the detriment of some of the other elements of the music.

Overall, I'm extremely happy I picked them up especially at the price. I'm partially deaf in my right ear, so I thought that different headphones would have really limited returns but I'm surprised once again! I'll have to investigate for the next pair I pick up, which at this rate will be sometime in 2017. They're still on sale, but not for as deep a discount. If you like feeling like you're there rather than hearing every little thing like the M40Xs/MDRs do, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these. Caveat emptor on super bass heavy stuff, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just wanted to chime in and say that if anyone is thinking they're going to wear a helmet over their Mee RX18P, they're wrong.

I got a pair from massdrop ($10 grab bag thingy) and HOLY gently caress are they uncomfortable under a helmet.
They're fine outside the helmet but they hurt like hell when they're being pinched against my antitragus. Also they don't seat well in the canal even outside the helmet. Inside it's impossible to keep them where they need to be to actually create bass. I'll get them just right for like a second then yawn or burp or breathe too hard and gently caress everything up.

Also, they don't sound that great, but I wasn't expecting much for $10.

Mudfly
Jun 10, 2012
Hi, I would like to listen to music in the car but don't wish to drown out ambulance or police sirens. My car's wired such that I can't upgrade the stereo without spending big bux. I'm thinking of getting some open headphones for this reason - I really like the look of the Sennheiser 598s. I also like the look of the HD 25's, but I fear the closed design would be too insulating - would they?

There aren't any laws in my area about wearing headphones and I've been listening to the ones that come with my IPOD for ages which has been fine safety wise, but they sound terrible. I've tried a lot of headphones in stores in the past few days, I liked the Bose headphones aside from the heavy bass signature they have. The Sennheiser momentum lineup were all a bit bass-ey too.

edit: I want them primarily for listening to music at home and when I go on walks. I was just hoping an open back headphone would be similar to my car speakers in that they'd provide very little insulation. I have never owned a pair so I don't know.

Mudfly fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 15, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you wear headphones while you drive, you're an rear end in a top hat

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
any extra quality you'd get from going to open backed headphones is going to be diminished by ambient noises. you aren't going to be able to really enjoy the music. less so if you have a passenger. since music sounds so awful in your car maybe try talk radio? yeah it's boring but you really need to be focusing on driving anyway

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you wear headphones while you drive, you're an rear end in a top hat

Its also probably illegal in most states. I know it is in CA.

EDIT: gently caress I can't read he said its cool in his area I guess.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mudfly posted:

Hi, I would like to listen to music in the car but don't wish to drown out ambulance or police sirens. My car's wired such that I can't upgrade the stereo without spending big bux. I'm thinking of getting some open headphones for this reason - I really like the look of the Sennheiser 598s. I also like the look of the HD 25's, but I fear the closed design would be too insulating - would they?

There aren't any laws in my area about wearing headphones and I've been listening to the ones that come with my IPOD for ages which has been fine safety wise, but they sound terrible. I've tried a lot of headphones in stores in the past few days, I liked the Bose headphones aside from the heavy bass signature they have. The Sennheiser momentum lineup were all a bit bass-ey too.

Yeah, this makes you a pretty big goddamned rear end in a top hat.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Mudfly posted:

With all the other road and vehicle noise, it's just not the best environment for audio in a car. You might be better off saving up for an upgrade to higher quality parts if they seem exceptionally cheap, or to a head unit with more features or a specific input if yours lacks that, like an aux jack, or various other things a replacement head unit offers.
Cars are just not great for listening to stuff in general.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My Sennheiser HD598s are rather quiet on volume when attached to my Vive. I solved this on PC with a sound card with built in amp, but the Vive has its own built in sound driver. Are small in-line amplifiers like this FiiO thingy up to the task? Or should I be looking for something else to boost volume inline and portably?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hey guys, so Father's Day is coming up and I was researching my dad's Home Theater system that I got him a few years back (Sony BDV-N7100W), and I wanted to get him some Bluetooth over-ear headphones that would help him not drive my mom batshit by blasting the volume, because he's in his late 70s and his hearing is going and he refuses to wear his hearing aids in the house.

He is not an audiophile by any stretch, so PLEASE refrain from suggesting some ridiculous Audio Technica $400 headset or something. He doesn't need a mic, nor would he use it for anything else other than maybe connecting it to his iPad to listen to movies while sitting in bed. He's not that tech savvy, I had to setup a Harmony remote for that system so that he could watch cable but also swap to Netflix and a foreign channel streaming box (Jadoo) that he watches a lot.

Requirements:
1- Bluetooth connectivity
2- Decent battery life with a rechargeable system that doesn't require swapping out batteries (charging dock is fine, I think he'd be okay with that, but a charging cable would be easy for him, too)
3- On headset volume control of some sort, ideally with big buttons
4- NOT noise cancelling... the last thing my mom needs is him being even harder to rouse from his shows when the phone rings or whatever
5- Decent sound quality
6- Non-exorbitant (sub $150 seems reasonable, ideally under a hundred) pricetag, because he will look up the price and get really upset if I splurge on him since I don't make that much money
7- EASY connectivity... I realize that system has a weird and stupid UI, but I'm hoping I can set it up such that he would just have to turn on the headphones and they'd automatically sync and start transmitting... I know that system can do it, I just need headphones that would cooperate
8- Comfortable... he's old and bald

Any suggestions, please?

EDIT: OH YEAH, and SUPER Important:

NOT HEAVY

My dad had C-Spine surgery about 3-4 years ago, and the bones haven't completely fused... he's functional and has no range of motion issues, but I'd rather not exacerbate his neck issues with a really bulky headset. He would definitely prefer over-ears, though, because he has earbuds that he uses on the plane and currently with his iPad, and while they're okay he complains that after awhile his ear canals hurt, so I'd prefer he has something that's more comfortable but won't break his neck.

EDIT2:
Think these would work?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 16, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

My Sennheiser HD598s are rather quiet on volume when attached to my Vive. I solved this on PC with a sound card with built in amp, but the Vive has its own built in sound driver. Are small in-line amplifiers like this FiiO thingy up to the task? Or should I be looking for something else to boost volume inline and portably?

The Fiio would be perfect for what you need.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Any recommendations on Bluetooth headphones for sports and general use? Up to maybe 100 and something British pounds?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

grack posted:

The Fiio would be perfect for what you need.
Killer, FiiO E6 ordered. Thanks awfully :tipshat:

Lichy posted:

Any recommendations on Bluetooth headphones for sports and general use? Up to maybe 100 and something British pounds?

I picked up some Aftershokz Bluez 2S for cycling a couple of weeks ago and have loved the things to death. They're bone conductance rather than IEMs or traditional cans, but they've sounded quite good to me still while doing 20mph on the bike.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Does anyone have any experience with these headphones? I want an isolating wireless pair of headphones for gym/work (I stock a beer cooler so there's a constant AC whine and I don't want to run the risk of a wire clipping a precariously perched bottle), and these seem to have pretty good reviews.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got a new pair of HM9's last week and holy poo poo are they built solid. The HM5's are good but the headband is flakey. Get the HM9's, they destroy a lot of really good headphones out there for less than 150$.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Hey guys, so Father's Day is coming up and I was researching my dad's Home Theater system that I got him a few years back (Sony BDV-N7100W), and I wanted to get him some Bluetooth over-ear headphones that would help him not drive my mom batshit by blasting the volume, because he's in his late 70s and his hearing is going and he refuses to wear his hearing aids in the house.

He is not an audiophile by any stretch, so PLEASE refrain from suggesting some ridiculous Audio Technica $400 headset or something. He doesn't need a mic, nor would he use it for anything else other than maybe connecting it to his iPad to listen to movies while sitting in bed. He's not that tech savvy, I had to setup a Harmony remote for that system so that he could watch cable but also swap to Netflix and a foreign channel streaming box (Jadoo) that he watches a lot.

Requirements:
1- Bluetooth connectivity
2- Decent battery life with a rechargeable system that doesn't require swapping out batteries (charging dock is fine, I think he'd be okay with that, but a charging cable would be easy for him, too)
3- On headset volume control of some sort, ideally with big buttons
4- NOT noise cancelling... the last thing my mom needs is him being even harder to rouse from his shows when the phone rings or whatever
5- Decent sound quality
6- Non-exorbitant (sub $150 seems reasonable, ideally under a hundred) pricetag, because he will look up the price and get really upset if I splurge on him since I don't make that much money
7- EASY connectivity... I realize that system has a weird and stupid UI, but I'm hoping I can set it up such that he would just have to turn on the headphones and they'd automatically sync and start transmitting... I know that system can do it, I just need headphones that would cooperate
8- Comfortable... he's old and bald

Any suggestions, please?

EDIT: OH YEAH, and SUPER Important:

NOT HEAVY

My dad had C-Spine surgery about 3-4 years ago, and the bones haven't completely fused... he's functional and has no range of motion issues, but I'd rather not exacerbate his neck issues with a really bulky headset. He would definitely prefer over-ears, though, because he has earbuds that he uses on the plane and currently with his iPad, and while they're okay he complains that after awhile his ear canals hurt, so I'd prefer he has something that's more comfortable but won't break his neck.

EDIT2:
Think these would work?

Bump?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The best way to do this is go to a store with a lot of headphones and let him try on some. Fit is very personal and if it's as big an issue as you think it will be there's really no other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, that requires me to not be working when stores are open. Ah well, guess I'll scour Amazon reviews and just pick one.