Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've turned disconnected the phone wifi from our network, and changed the IP from the custome Static one back to DHCP - that should mean that the downstairs computer will go back to using wifi normally right? I don't have to do anything else to get the PC working normally?

I'll have a chat with the tech guys at my job tommorow. Honestly I only wanted to get wifi connected at home to save my data use when using Apps - I'll use a computer for most of my broswing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Android No Name
or just
Android Name

An Android has No Name.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey dudes I have a Sprint LG Tribute 5, model number LG LS 675. When I try to move apps to the external storage card it prefers to use the internal storage virtual :airquote:storage card:airquote: instead of the actual 32 gig SD card that is installed. I'm sure the external card works, I can browse to it with the file manager and see that photograph have been saved on it with the camera but when I do settings/apps/Move to SD card I can see that the files end up on internal storage/Android instead of on the SD card. It looks like this is a feature that the carrier has built into this build of Android (5.1.1) it isn't something I can change without doing something drastic (rooting the phone). Is there something that I'm missing that would let me get around this so that I can actually store apps on the SD card? Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Hey dudes I have a Sprint LG Tribute 5, model number LG LS 675. When I try to move apps to the external storage card it prefers to use the internal storage virtual :airquote:storage card:airquote: instead of the actual 32 gig SD card that is installed. I'm sure the external card works, I can browse to it with the file manager and see that photograph have been saved on it with the camera but when I do settings/apps/Move to SD card I can see that the files end up on internal storage/Android instead of on the SD card. It looks like this is a feature that the carrier has built into this build of Android (5.1.1) it isn't something I can change without doing something drastic (rooting the phone). Is there something that I'm missing that would let me get around this so that I can actually store apps on the SD card? Thanks.

That's how SD cards in Android works and you'd have to root to change things.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What happens if I unmount the internal virtual SD card?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

What happens if I unmount the internal virtual SD card?

How would you go about doing that?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Skeezy posted:

An Android has No Name.

If you see an android in the street, root it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LastInLine posted:

How would you go about doing that?

Well I was hoping for a way to do that without Root but I guess you can't, that sucks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

OldMemes posted:

I've turned disconnected the phone wifi from our network, and changed the IP from the custome Static one back to DHCP - that should mean that the downstairs computer will go back to using wifi normally right? I don't have to do anything else to get the PC working normally?

I'll have a chat with the tech guys at my job tommorow. Honestly I only wanted to get wifi connected at home to save my data use when using Apps - I'll use a computer for most of my broswing.

Here's an analogy for what you just did so you can understand it.

"My mail wasn't getting delivered, so I fixed it by painting my neighbor's address on my house. But now I keep getting all of my neighbor's mail and he isn't getting any??"

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Flesh Forge posted:

I have been a big apologist for removable storage in Android for some time but the truth is that Google is just never going to make it loving work, ever, for apps and games. If you want to put a bunch of animu or music or whatever media on the external SD - great, but trying to store apps and their related data on a removable SD card, even in 6.x Marshmallow and its :airquote: format as internal storage :airquote: works for gently caress all. You will fight bugs that deal with available storage space, and app updates randomly installing to internal storage, and apps with widgets breaking, and Google official apps being 100% not moveable, and apps that you moved to your external SD randomly not being available after a reboot, and numerous other things.

That being said, "extra" internal storage is a pretty big revenue stream so I hope you don't buy from a company that charges you $50 for 16GB more internal space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"I'm an apologist for a thing that by my own admission doesn't work at all but god forbid you should spend a pittance on something that does!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well I have found a workaround for it but it requires root

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Well I have found a workaround for it but it requires root

Yeah, you can symlink the external storage and then it will appear to the OS that the external is the internal storage. It's a bad idea to do it, but you can.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm pretty sure TurboCharge is broken on my not even year old Droid Turbo 2. Battery was kind of low last night. Hooked it up to the QuickCharge plug, phone was dead this morning.

Checked multiple times last night that the icon showed charging. Made sure screen wasn't turned on.

Wife's Moto X 2014 TurboCharges just fine on the same plug, but mine just seems to suck out more energy when its connected.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, you can symlink the external storage and then it will appear to the OS that the external is the internal storage. It's a bad idea to do it, but you can.

Why, because you don't have control over how files are distributed between the internal virtual SD and the external one?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Why, because you don't have control over how files are distributed between the internal virtual SD and the external one?

Because if something happens to the SD card it's going to take the whole system down with it, it's going to prevent updates from working, and you'll be consigned to constantly keeping a janked-up system barely working when Samsung and your carrier are actively trying to stop you from doing so.

It's way better to use the device as intended.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've really improved my Android Thread reading experience by doing the following:

If you see "SD card" in a post, scroll past the next 20 posts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well how it's intended to be used seems to be "be out of space after installing 3 apps" :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Well how it's intended to be used seems to be "be out of space after installing 3 apps" :shrug:

Yeah, you bought a garbage phone :/

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Flesh Forge posted:

32 GB NAND or better should be required to license Google Play Services, agreed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm pretty sure TurboCharge is broken on my not even year old Droid Turbo 2. Battery was kind of low last night. Hooked it up to the QuickCharge plug, phone was dead this morning.

Sounds like you should get a new phone from your local Verizon® Wireless √™ Authorized Retailer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, you bought a garbage phone :/

tbh other than this, which I guess I can live with, it's pretty wonderful for my needs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

tbh other than this, which I guess I can live with, it's pretty wonderful for my needs.

If your needs include eventually never getting any app updates and having SMSs silently fail due to lack of storage then yes, I suppose it does.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eh I can free up something like 3gb and change if I absolutely have to and I'm never going to be one of those dudes that has their entire life stuffed into their phone :shrug:

I just can't leave multiple giant rear end games installed permanently and I'm ok with that.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Because if something happens to the SD card it's going to take the whole system down with it, it's going to prevent updates from working, and you'll be consigned to constantly keeping a janked-up system barely working when Samsung and your carrier are actively trying to stop you from doing so.

It's way better to use the device as intended.

I agree with what you're saying, but the sperg in me compels me to point out that Samsung doesn't support adopted storage, their implementation is actually useful.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

In unsurprising news, OnePlus continues to be bad

http://phandroid.com/2016/06/17/oneplus-3-ram-management-fix/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Coming from a hardware development perspective: gently caress removable media

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

XIII posted:

In unsurprising news, OnePlus continues to be bad

http://phandroid.com/2016/06/17/oneplus-3-ram-management-fix/

"For those who don't agree with our bad design choices, go root your phone and compile our own OS build."

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

"For those who don't agree with our bad design choices, go root your phone and compile our own OS build."

The OnePlus Four will just be a box of parts, a soldering iron, and the marketing phrase, "Fine, you do better"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I agree with what you're saying, but the sperg in me compels me to point out that Samsung doesn't support adopted storage, their implementation is actually useful.

And I agree with you. He was asking why not root and symlink to the removable storage so that it appears internal. He's much better using the stock implementation, flawed as it is, as it will at least work as intended.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

And I agree with you. He was asking why not root and symlink to the removable storage so that it appears internal. He's much better using the stock implementation, flawed as it is, as it will at least work as intended.

He's not using a samsung though

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

My second Nexus 6P charger crapped out this morning (the first one was dead pretty much out of the box). Is there a goon-recommended charger that would provide a comparable charging speed?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ringu0 posted:

My second Nexus 6P charger crapped out this morning (the first one was dead pretty much out of the box). Is there a goon-recommended charger that would provide a comparable charging speed?

I bought this one to keep at work and I'm happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJ90J6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If you've also got regular USB devices you might want to charge at the same time, this is only $5 more and really good, Anker make good stuff. Both of them will charge as fast as the stock charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...6FwL&ref=plSrch

chippy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

poo poo, I had him mixed up with someone who had some Galaxy [not S] in some other thread. That's my bad. I blame too many weird budget phones and not enough sleep. :(

That makes rooting an even worse idea since at least Samsung gives you some way to go back to stock once the house of cards collapses, I'm not sure LG offers such a tool.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

poo poo, I had him mixed up with someone who had some Galaxy [not S] in some other thread. That's my bad. I blame too many weird budget phones and not enough sleep. :(

That makes rooting an even worse idea since at least Samsung gives you some way to go back to stock once the house of cards collapses, I'm not sure LG offers such a tool.

Well, they suddenly seemed perfectly happy with their phone and totally didn't need more storage, so i suppose it wasn't that important anyway.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zom Aur posted:

We'll hang on then, are the downsides not the same?

Zom Aur posted:

Well, they suddenly seemed perfectly happy with their phone and totally didn't need more storage, so i suppose it wasn't that important anyway.

I just came in with some questions, and at least one or two people seem ready to fight over it so if it's a touchy issue then I don't need to talk about it :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2016

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Samsung has their own solution probably, i don't know

Flesh Forge posted:

I just came in with some questions, and at least one or two people seem ready to fight over it so if it's a touchy issue then I don't need to talk about it :shrug:
It's funny when someone goes from "can't install more than 3 apps" to "no, no, it's fine, plenty of space" within 2 or 3 posts

But yes, phones are a very touchy issue

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zom Aur posted:

It's funny when someone goes from "can't install more than 3 apps" to "no, no, it's fine, plenty of space" within 2 or 3 posts

Am I supposed to pull out my katana now, I'm not a regular poster here :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

On Samsung phones sd cards are treated as external storage for media, with the option to move apps to the card. If you remove the card the app disappears from the phone until you put the card back in.

Basically you can put your huge rear end games on the card without worrying that if it fails it'll take your whole phone down with it.