Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't the tinkerer on daredevil anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

greatn posted:

Isn't the tinkerer on daredevil anyhow?

I don't think so. I think you're thinking of Melvin Potter The Gladiator.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I know it's all but confirmed that Vulture is the villain but I'd love to see Scorpion in a movie, I thinks he's an underused villain in general.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Shriek, Kangaroo, or Slyde please. :pray:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

He can be an up-his-own-rear end media mogul that's slightly older than Parker, super sure of himself, abrasive and constantly getting in the way of the Bible's success.

I love what autocorrect has done here

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I never knew JJJ was a satanist

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really hope it's not Vulture and The Tinkerer as the villains like they are speculating.

What are you talking about? That would be amazing!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

He can be an up-his-own-rear end media mogul that's slightly older than Parker, super sure of himself, abrasive and constantly getting in the way of the Bible's success.

Kind of like a Shane Smith, hipper-than-thou type who cynically blasts Spider-Man for wearing a dorky costume and saving people and having supposedly altruistic motives?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I had check who they got to direct Homecoming, and it's another complete non-entity.

This is what people want for DC movies too, apparently. Trust the machine, indeed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

wake up, comic book movie sheeple

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone but Green Goblin would be great.

I agree - I'd personally love to see Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be pretty funny if all these people they're casting were all playing the Chameleon.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Squizzle posted:

Shriek, Kangaroo, or Slyde please. :pray:

Oh hell yes, I've been wanting a cinematic Slyde for eons.

I don't even know why. Just love me some Slyde.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mirage posted:

Oh hell yes, I've been wanting a cinematic Slyde for eons.

I don't even know why. Just love me some Slyde.

*rips off shirt, revealing "SLYDE OR DIE" chest tattoo*

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Shocker and Cardiac.

Oh wait, they just did an electric villain and it didn't go over so well. :v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-Men Apocalypse looks to limp its way off its theatrical run, with Box Office Mojo predicting a $6 million third weekend (even though it's underperformed to low expectations every time, so it's quite possible we see a five or even four million third weekend). At present it's got a $140 million total domestic BO so it looks like it'll struggle to hit 155-160 million in total domestic. Depending on how badly it does this weekend it might not even break $150 million.

In direct contrast, Civil War is going to break $400 million total domestic receipts this weekend, becoming only the fourth Marvel movie (behind both Avengers films and IM3) to do so. Depending on how much longer it gets to run in theaters it might - might - beat Iron Man 3 in domestic receipts, which'll be pretty significant.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

X-Men Apocalypse looks to limp its way off its theatrical run, with Box Office Mojo predicting a $6 million third weekend (even though it's underperformed to low expectations every time, so it's quite possible we see a five or even four million third weekend). At present it's got a $140 million total domestic BO so it looks like it'll struggle to hit 155-160 million in total domestic. Depending on how badly it does this weekend it might not even break $150 million.

In direct contrast, Civil War is going to break $400 million total domestic receipts this weekend, becoming only the fourth Marvel movie (behind both Avengers films and IM3) to do so. Depending on how much longer it gets to run in theaters it might - might - beat Iron Man 3 in domestic receipts, which'll be pretty significant.

For comparison, Days of Future Past had a $233m domestic gross, and played in fewer theaters (3,996 to 4,150).

I expected XM:A to disappoint but I thought $600m was still a pretty safe bet after Future Past. Now it's looking like $550m will need a miracle. This isn't anywhere near "Aw man Fox is done, it'll sell X-Men back to Marvel in a week" bad, but it's bad enough that now I'm not so positive Fox will never sell X-Men back to Marvel. Fox does have some potential for redemption in the New Mutants, X-Force, the planned TV shows, etc but if they don't really take off, the only remaining safe money printing license Fox has left from Marvel is Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds will probably play Deadpool for as long as Fox lets him, but I'd wait for at least one other really well performing Deadpool movie/movie prominently featuring Deadpool before declaring the X-Men totally safe with Fox again.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 17, 2016

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Fox would gleefully set piles of money on fire to keep the X-Men gun out of Disney's holster any profit at all is icing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't think there will ever, ever, ever be a circumstance where FOX sells the rights to X-Men back to Marvel. They're too pot-invested at this point and both Hellfire and especially Legion are going ahead (the latter FX has placed Noah Hawley, one of the biggest superstars of the TV writer world with his work on Fargo, on) and New Mutants and X-Force rumored to be in heavy development. FOX has thrown so much money behind their Cinematic Universe being with the mutants that they'll never get rid of them any more, because at this point it's a multimedia franchise that they're throwing two television networks behind in support and planning at least two spinoffs for.

The mixed critical reception and total thud that Apocalypse landed with in the box office, especially domestically, mostly means that Bryan Singer will probably be taken off the tentpole franchise as its architect if the idea of a "main" X-Men title isn't scrapped entirely, at least for a little while. They really need fresh blood and a new creative vision.

But yeah, no chance I see FOX selling back the X-Men license (and to be honest I wonder how much Marvel would even want the X-Men at this point). I could totally see Apocalypse grossly underperforming in the box office as the impetus for FOX to at least explore the possibility of selling back the FF rights, because they've tried three movies and they've all been critical failures with the last two being financial ones. It just doesn't seem like FOX knows what to do with FF as a franchise and I really hope they decide to just wash their hands of it entirely.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Fox being tight-handed with the Fantastic Four of all things is actually the reason why I don't see them ever selling XMen.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It costs them noting to sit on the FF rights until they lapse. They'd have seven years (from the last movie) to see if anyone can come up with a FF film idea that stands a chance of working commercially, and they'd hold on to the rights for a bunch of IP that Marvel Studios wants to use. (They know Marvel wants to use them, given Marvel's attempt to negotiate expanded X-men rights to Fox in exchange for some FF properties.)

I'm just a simple country shitposter and don't know much about the sparkly world of film-making, but seems to me that Fox would need their whole studio to be in bad shape (like post-hack, everything-is-on-fire Sony) to consider letting the Fantastic Four go before contractually obligated.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

That is a fair point, Fox is so much larger and more stable than Sony that even if the X-Men movies started bombing, not even making up the initial production costs, they can afford to step back and reboot the franchise in a few years, and there's enough inertia behind their X-Men stuff that unless literally everything they do from now until 2020 bombs, they'll probably just keep making X-Men until comicbook movies stop being A Thing.

Plus with Singer's upcoming break from the X-Men, that's a pretty good opportunity to find someone who can make movies about superpowered folks saving the world fun and/or interesting.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
X-Men has already survived 2 movies that were arguably worse than Apocalypse. I guess the only thing that changed is that the bar for amount of money you have to make to not be considered trash failure has risen since '06 and '09 with Disney's hits.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm not even sure what Marvel could/would do with the X-Men if they got them. I can see them wanting F4 pretty badly though.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Last I heard, Marvel has backup plans of some sort if they do ever randomly get the X-Men. I don't think Marvel has room for a full X-Men movie, but I could totally see sprinkling a Cyclops cameo here, a Deadpool solo film there, tossing Wolverine onto the Avengers, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You could absolutely have the X-men come out and say "Yo we've been hiding for a while but you've made people with weird powers sliiightly more socially acceptable so we're taking a chance"

I mean, you couldn't make it fit the Fox continuity at all and you'd probably have to hold back Wolverine for a bit so people get used to Hugh Jackman not being in an X-film, but it would absolutely not be impossible to do. As long-running and modernized as it is, the MCU is still basically close to where the Marvel comics were in like... 75, with only a few established heroes and the Avengers as the big team. Nobody knew who the gently caress the X-men were back then.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I had check who they got to direct Homecoming, and it's another complete non-entity.

This is what people want for DC movies too, apparently. Trust the machine, indeed.

Cop Car was really good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just want Marvel to get their hands on FF so they can do Doom justice.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've mentioned it before but you could basically tie in even the current FOX take on the mutants with the MCU with very little trouble - have the Inhumans do their version of the end of Infinity, releasing Terrigen mists all over the world, in response to the outbreak of M-Pox the mutants are forced to come out of hiding to beg the Avengers for help. Explain away the inherent plot contradictions by giving Xavier some sort of power amplifying MacGuffin that augments his/Jean Grey's powers and allows him to cast a global forgetfulness spell thus justifying how nobody can remember that mutants exist.

Thus this reintroduces the mutants to the MCU, sets up the Inhumans/Mutants blood feud which is one of the more interesting aspects of both groups' relationships, and gives humans a reason to irrationally hate and marginalize mutants, from a combination of offense at having their minds violated and justified fear that one or two mutants could mind control the whole world so effectively for so long.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: why does the MCU need 40+ new superheroes?

CelticPredator posted:

Cop Car was really good.

Homecoming will no doubt be competent.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 17, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So there can be even more MCU movies coming out that you complain about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Homecoming will no doubt be competent.

As long as the characters are quite good I'm content.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Cop Car was really good.

I think you mean Kevin Bacon Cop Car

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't really think anyone at Marvel's dumb enough to insist on introducing every mutant they intend on using day one. I'd imagine it would probably be the O5 plus Xavier, more trickle in as needed. I'd be more curious what villains they'd start out with since most of the major ones are either too big to start off with or the Fox movies used them too recently. Maybe Juggernaut on his own?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

As long as the characters are quite good I'm content.

I am holding out for Homecoming being a minimalist piece about Spider-Man dealing with a single criminal on his way to the Homecoming dance.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I just want the F4 rights back so that the next big Infinity War scale Avengers movie is the whole MCU taking down Galactus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am holding out for Homecoming being a minimalist piece about Spider-Man dealing with a single criminal on his way to the Homecoming dance.

So long as that criminal is Kevin Bacon im down

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I had a big post written up about reasons Fox should get ff back to Disney, then I remembered that they already reverted the dd rights and that let Marvel make their awesome Netflix series.
What do you think Fox's Daredevil guy is up to? Think he feels smart?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

StumblyWumbly posted:

I am a little sad, Joe Carnahan will never get to do the Daredevil movie he pitched to Fox. It was going to be set in the 70's wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

I've mentioned it before but you could basically tie in even the current FOX take on the mutants with the MCU with very little trouble - have the Inhumans do their version of the end of Infinity, releasing Terrigen mists all over the world, in response to the outbreak of M-Pox the mutants are forced to come out of hiding to beg the Avengers for help. Explain away the inherent plot contradictions by giving Xavier some sort of power amplifying MacGuffin that augments his/Jean Grey's powers and allows him to cast a global forgetfulness spell thus justifying how nobody can remember that mutants exist.

Thus this reintroduces the mutants to the MCU, sets up the Inhumans/Mutants blood feud which is one of the more interesting aspects of both groups' relationships, and gives humans a reason to irrationally hate and marginalize mutants, from a combination of offense at having their minds violated and justified fear that one or two mutants could mind control the whole world so effectively for so long.

That doesn't sound very good to me, as it's a whole lot of time, plot beats, and most likely dialogue dedicated to exposition, retcon, and setting-up-the-board jiggery pokery instead of actually moving a story along.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I had a big post written up about reasons Fox should get ff back to Disney, then I remembered that they already reverted the dd rights and that let Marvel make their awesome Netflix series.

At this point, keeping something out of Marvel's hands has to be worth something to the other studios, doubly so if it's something Marvel has indicated they have a great idea for. Marvel could offer to sell licenses that don't actually grant rights to make anything, but only deny Marvel the ability to use one of their own properties; someone would be willing to pay for that.

• Locked thread