Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

It would pretty much be the ultimate test of my hypothesis that Trump is going to have a meltdown and call for violence. In my view ratfucking Trump carries a non-zero risk of resulting in Cleveland being burned to the ground in riots/triggering more Malheur-style militia standoffs.

Even in a non-violent scenario the screeching from Trump's supporters will massively drive every sane person away from the GOP.

Basically ratfucking Trump at this point is like a patient with a terminal illness choosing to end their lifellow by their own hand rather than waiting for the disease to kill them.

Though I disagree on the level of it, yeah, it would get a bit ugly. And in exchange they'd still lose the election (and probably the Senate (and maybe even the House)) anyhow as disaffected Trump supporters fail to unify behind the party that hosed them. Sure, they "save" themselves from Trump, but what are they left with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/SpideyScouting/status/743914909306609664

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

I 100% unironically fear for the safety of everyone in Cleveland during the convention.

I used to live there and have lot of friends in the area so I'm stressed about this more than I probably should be, but still.

Arms may not be allowed in the arena, but you can bet the Trumpstaffel will be in full force outside and armed to the teeth. Pretend I posted that pic of those two douchebags with the riot shields here.

e: riot

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 17, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Hollismason posted:

How badly would it damage the party if Donald got ratfucked at the convention? Cause that would be amazing.

It's one of the few things that might cause the party to meltdown badly enough to risk losing the House to say nothing of the Senate and WH being forgone conclusions at that point.

Though to lose the House this year the GOP would need to fracture and end up with a lot of people going and voting Libertarian/Constitutionalist/Freedom/etc instead of Republican. There would almost certainly be bloodshed on the convention floor (and at other gatherings) as well. Trump supporters attack and pepper spray protesters. Those crazy fucks will absolutely kill people if Trump gets ratfucked out of the nomination.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Lol which one? Donald Trump the Third?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
~*~FUTURE PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP~*~

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fans posted:

Trump will pin the blame on someone for them to go after, the only question is who because he can be really random in who he sticks with his ire.

This isn't really that hard to figure out. If Trump loses he probably won't even have a majority say in the target of choice. Look at the last few elections Democrats won on a national scale. There was everything from talk of jury rigging the election, to it being the Democrat's fault, to the system just being nebulously "broken" and needing to be torn down by force.

Hell, since at least the Clinton era the SOP for any nationally acclaimed democrat seems to have been to have a bunch of think tanks, ambitious politicians, and media darling's just constantly throw poo poo at the person in question in the hopes of seeing what will stick. Really, it's an extension of the same strategy used to keep the base together. Only used on the offensive against a rival while acting as part of the defensive justifications when they lose.

I mean, holy poo poo, a lot of the bigotry and hatred currently taking place in the GOP currently have their "rebranded" roots in that stuff from the beginning of Obama's term. That's why I have to shake my head when people say the GOP is going to fall apart. Radical and tabloid right wing media sites like Breitbart, Drudge, etc, etc, will blanket their little informational bubble with all sorts of talking points and conspiracy theories about who it is to blame.

Failing that, minor (and very crazy) hard, hard, hard, right wing blogs will most likely pick up the slack and give larger sites a story to trumpet. See the origins of the "Obama is a secret Muslim." and "9/11 was a false flag attack" conspiracy theories as an example. Along with literally anything to do with crisis actors as an example of how a good portion of Trump's voting base will spin themselves into loops to avoid approaching a situation honestly. And that's when they aren't at rallies literally screaming bigoted threats and calling for the suffering/death of others like what's been posted a few times.

This time, it will most likely either be a minority group, the nebulously titled (across various articles that can't seem to agree on an enemy to focus on) "establishment", or the usual fall back of a general "Democrats" that gets the blame. Along with Hillary when she gets elected. The GOP establishment will most likely not take a hit out of losing this election outside of losing a few down ticket races among GOP senators and maybe congressmen who didn't initially tow the Trump line or ended up on the wrong side of the PR inside in-party politics.

While there's so many ways for them to handwave their behavior they'll always have at least something of a hard core group of supporters. Couple that with certain major media networks chasing ratings and "donations" instead of integrity (IE: All the reports coming out of places like NBC/Politico/other sites of journalists being asked or forced to give Trump a whitewashing of all his horrible poo poo. A few times of which coincided with donations to the company's themselves.) and by the time the next election season rolls around there will be a whole new bunch of batshit insane and incredibly offensive talking points to unify and whip the republican base into a frenzy.

The real thing people have to worry about is whether one of the nastier factions within the GOP or the associated media arm can get themselves and/or their base under control enough to phrase the messaging behind what they want in less of an abhorrently evil sort of way. Some of the greatest radical conservative victories over the past half century have been when they were able to find ways to make downright bigoted ideas and policies seem reasonable and even handed to the general public.

A lot of their current (and failing) strategy seems to be dependent on that too. You still see a lot of Republican politicians trying the tactic of making GBS threads all over someone else to push an agenda, get re-elected, or to make a quick buck off the backs of the people. This is despite the fact that decades of using fear, lies, and "otherizing" of vulnerable minorities has increasingly radicalized the base to the point where the curtain covering what they really mean is repeatedly being drawn back. Often with the result of disgusting and horrifying most people who don't obsessively observe politics to the degree most people on this thread/forum do.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 18, 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's one of the few things that might cause the party to meltdown badly enough to risk losing the House to say nothing of the Senate and WH being forgone conclusions at that point.

Though to lose the House this year the GOP would need to fracture and end up with a lot of people going and voting Libertarian/Constitutionalist/Freedom/etc instead of Republican. There would almost certainly be bloodshed on the convention floor (and at other gatherings) as well. Trump supporters attack and pepper spray protesters. Those crazy fucks will absolutely kill people if Trump gets ratfucked out of the nomination.

Yeah, honestly even the way they're talking about it so publicly is likely to cause trouble now Trump's supporters are in the mind that he has it cinched. If they're going to do it (they really shouldn't), it needs to be like ripping off a bandage or setting a broken limb. Don't gently caress about, just do it all sudden like and without warning.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/743892553133490176

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ohio is an open carry state too, expect lots of nutjobs with guns outside of the RNC playing 'security'

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also, given how Romney, Mccain, Bush, and pretty much every recent GOP politician magically went from being the savior of conservative values in the US to a RHINO loser when they didn't score the nomination or the office I can't help but think that Trump is going to loving lose it when he loses the election. His own base probably won't give him the time of day once he loses.

Like, seriously. It'd probably be a good idea for an aide to get him some valium or something in advance. He doesn't act like the sort of guy who takes being told he's a loser well at all. He goes off on people at the slightest suspicion he's being criticized.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 18, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Fluffy posted:

As long as there are actually Democrats running for the seats, if Hillary can run the margin up to like 10 points there's a chance without the GOP fracturing. Especially in districts that aren't red as the devil's rear end. It's a lot harder to convince yourself that Trump is winning and that you should go vote for him if you're constantly being confronted with Hillary votes in your day to day life. Where I'm at, Republicans are way less in your face about the candidate than in the last few cycles and more people are vocally anti-Trump. If this keeps up it's going to depress the turnout of all the voters who sometimes show up to vote or only vote in Presidential elections.

Given the way that the gerrymanders are usually set up, if it does tip it's going to tip hard. And if Hillary can put up a complete shellacking, like near or over 400 EVs, then not only is the House in play but the successive narrative from the Republicans is going to be much harder to spin. It's a tall order, but if any cycle were positioned to do it, it's this year. Her best bet is probably the NeverTrump people rallying to Johnson and bleeding off just enough votes to split Republican states without tipping the state Libertarian.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A rat gently caress probably just means extremely low turnout. Old white people don't riot in the streets.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh Im sure some minorities will be shot.

Interestingly, Clinton finds herself in a position where her negative ad buys are decreasingly effective and can instead focus on her own message/persona

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

She should start running ads for the Libertarians

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's going to be a weird mix. You can probably expect 1968-1972 levels of people turning out to protest the convention. Regardless of what happens, some faction of the Republican party is going to be deeply unhappy. There's going to be a lot of kindling and lighter fluid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Honestly? With how things are looking I think a map like this might be the floor.

And is it too hard to think that a ratfuckery or a continued Trump meltdown might put Utah, Indiana, or Missouri at serious risk? poo poo maybe even Texas.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 18, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly believe that things will turn violent at the Republican Convention between outside Trump supporters and protesters. It's just ratcheting up and up and up.

I mean things are already violent now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Epic High Five posted:

She should start running ads for the Libertarians

I would be extremely surprised if there aren't at least a couple Democratic Funded Super PACs that do nothing but get out the fiscally conservative message of the Libertarians in places like Utah and Kansas.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honestly? With how things are looking I think a map like this might be the floor.

And is it too hard to think that a ratfuckery or a continued Trump meltdown might put Utah, Indiana, or Missouri at serious risk? poo poo maybe even Texas.

I wouldn't be too surprised at Missouri being up for grabs this time. poo poo, Kansas had a poll out recently showing Clinton up. If they play their cards right with fake Libertarian media, they could conceivably deny Trump a couple states by turning them Libertarian while also picking up one or two by getting the Republican vote to split just enough.

Hollismason posted:

I honestly believe that things will turn violent at the Republican Convention between outside Trump supporters and protesters. It's just ratcheting up and up and up.

I forget where I heard/read it, but someone pointed out that at this point Trump rally attendees have been conditioned to not only expect protestors but they would be disappointed if they didn't have any to yell at and push around. They're to the point where they're actively looking for the protestors and informing on their fellow travelers. Add in how angry Trump makes people, and there's very little possibility of things not spinning out of control outside the convention. I hope the cops are out in force and adequately sepperating the two groups. I'm somewhat worried that protestor witch hunts will break out within the Trump crowd and they devolve into civil war over who is the true Trumpketeer.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 18, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

The question should be will they eat their own or go on a rampage after Trump gets hosed.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

A nasty thought occured to me recently. If Trump really is on the receiving end of a full-on Mondale-scale shafting, what happens if he decides the best way of getting more narcissistic supply is to call for his supporters to rise up and tear down the evil election-rigging Democratic government? Given that they're the ones with the guns and all. Obviously he'd be in jail within the day, but wouldn't the country still be totally hosed?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gyges posted:

I would be extremely surprised if there aren't at least a couple Democratic Funded Super PACs that do nothing but get out the fiscally conservative message of the Libertarians in places like Utah and Kansas.

I wouldn't be too surprised at Missouri being up for grabs this time. poo poo, Kansas had a poll out recently showing Clinton up. If they play their cards right with fake Libertarian media, they could conceivably deny Trump a couple states by turning them Libertarian while also picking up one or two by getting the Republican vote to split just enough.

I forget where I heard/read it, but someone pointed out that at this point Trump rally attendees have been conditioned to not only expect protestors but they would be disappointed if they didn't have any to yell at and push around. They're to the point where they're actively looking for the protestors and informing on their fellow travelers. Add in how angry Trump makes people, and there's very little possibility of things not spinning out of control outside the convention. I hope the cops are out in force and adequately sepperating the two groups. I'm somewhat worried that protestor witch hunts will break out within the Trump crowd and they devolve into civil war over who is the true Trumpketeer.

As an Akron native I have very severe doubts about Cleveland PD's conmpetence in a situation like this. They aren't accustomed to handling events even 10% this chaotic, on top of the fact that the Cleveland PD is notoriously incompetent, badly managed, and even for a metropolitan police force are unusually blatant in their racism.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 18, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

pumpinglemma posted:

A nasty thought occured to me recently. If Trump really is on the receiving end of a full-on Mondale-scale shafting, what happens if he decides the best way of getting more narcissistic supply is to call for his supporters to rise up and tear down the evil election-rigging Democratic government? Given that they're the ones with the guns and all. Obviously he'd be in jail within the day, but wouldn't the country still be totally hosed?

You vastly overestimate the fraction of his supporters who would actually get off their fat rear end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

that might be the dumbest fear in a thread full of dumb fears

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Archonex posted:

Also, given how Romney, Mccain, Bush, and pretty much every recent GOP politician magically went from being the savior of conservative values in the US to a RHINO loser when they didn't score the nomination or the office I can't help but think that Trump is going to loving lose it when he loses the election. His own base probably won't give him the time of day once he loses.

Like, seriously. It'd probably be a good idea for an aide to get him some valium or something in advance. He doesn't act like the sort of guy who takes being told he's a loser well at all. He goes off on people at the slightest suspicion he's being criticized.

I figure he'll just start throwing out conspiracy theories and blame before he even concedes. I have to wonder though does he not know how far behind he is in the polls? For someone who talked them up all primary season he doesn't seem to be aware that his actions and words are having seriously bad effects on his numbers.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm gonna give that one a big "No, definitely not going to happen and definitely not hosed even if it did."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

how is it possible to be so wrong :psyduck:

Ooh let's see what this week's episode is...foreign policy with Jeffry Goldberg. And he's taken seriously.

Yep stupid show for stupid people.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

pumpinglemma posted:

My own personal worst-case scenario is maybe three or four Malheur style militia uprisings occurring in the immediate aftermath as well as a great deal of rioting and violence in Cleveland, and possibly a spate of mass shootings here and there. It wouldn't gently caress the country so much as be inconvenient/dangerous for anyone who happens to live near an areally where Trump protestors are flipping their poo poo. Also a massive spike in hate crimes that persists for a few years.

The absolute extreme almost-certainly-not-going-to-happen worst case scenario in my view might result in low quadruple digits of people injured/killed, which is horrific but not society ending.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 18, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

pumpinglemma posted:

Why would they attack the Democrats when the GOP hosed him over?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
alex jones everybody

https://vine.co/v/ilgMphHJaQd

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It would be fitting if Trump goes down in history as one of the most despicable men in the history of the United Sates. Like, up there with Benedict Arnold, John Wilkes Booth, and Lee Harvey Oswald.

But no he's not going to loving inspire a god damned armed insurrection jesus christ you're stupid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given that Trump has 30 people running his election right now, will the results be clear enough to get a real examination of the difference a ground game makes in a vacuum?

pumpinglemma posted:

Aside from the absolute stomping they'd receive from the authorities for something so stupid, and the fact that getting off your fat rear end and doing something is much harder than posting slash fic about you and your gun showing the world what for, it's probably among the worst case scenarios for the GOP. On top of getting crushed in the election they're suddenly a bunch of rear end in a top hat sore losers who are lone wolfing all over the place. It would be about as valuable for the right wing militia types as the Oklahoma City Bombing was.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 18, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

mandatory lesbian posted:

hey guys what if donald trump starts civil war ii: this time it's yuuge

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The absolutely worst case scenario of a Trump rebellion would be Malheur 2.0 Electric Dildolooo.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the 2016 spray-tan uprising

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Yellow Turban Gold Coifed Rebellion

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

The Yellow Turban Gold Coifed Rebellion

You mean Orange right?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hollismason posted:

Cleveland is in real bad shape. They don't have the gear ready, PD's are dropping out of supporting the Cleveland PD as back up due to poor planning, and the funding is far short of what it should be.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the National Guard get's called in last minute for support.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/06/12/is-cleveland-ready-for-republican-national-convention-critics-say-no.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
There's no way that America's rejection of Trumpism results in a viable insurrection. Everybody chill the gently caress out.

• Locked thread