Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Pierson posted:

It even works with quest/roulette rewards? That's nuts.

There are now twelve combat classes/jobs to level, and many of them start at level 1. 4.x will presumably add more still.

If anything it's a necessary helping hand, so make use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

whoever complained enough to get ARF put into a duty roulette needs to be shot

gently caress that place and its ilevel sync

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it's me, I did that, and I'm not sorry. get owned

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ARF is great and it's my preferred dungeon to run in the 60 roulette. Fractal comes up second.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
ARF actually owns, would not be run at all by anyone if it weren't in a roulette, and reduces the chance of getting Neverreap, so it is 100% cool in my book.

Now we just need Googly Moogly added to the level 50 DR (and eso added to it) and we're golden.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

Uh no, it owns now. With newbie bonus it's 290 esoterics on roulette. Legit want it to come up everyday now.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
ARF also had an extra 100 Esoterics tacked onto its completion so it's kind of an awesome treat to get when you're working on your anima weapon. I was kinda "meh" on getting it before but now it's a welcome addition to the 60DR.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/17/final-fantasy-xiv-gets-china-exclusive-sun-wukong-outfit-flying-cloud-mount/

Oh WHAT The gently caress my dream mount

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ilifinicus posted:

Source your quotes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skaw posted:

Uh no, it owns now. With newbie bonus it's 290 esoterics on roulette. Legit want it to come up everyday now.

I thought the newbie bonus was 50 making it one umbrite if you luck out.

It does take perhaps 50% longer than the other dungeons, but you get triple the (dungeon) reward out of it so its worth it in the end.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Given how badly people are abusing the Amazon offer for the Japan 7-11 codes we're never going to see this in the US. :negative:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

EponymousMrYar posted:

And didn't post about it the cretins :argh:

Yeah, sorry about that. :( In my own defense, I was more than half asleep. Thanks Alder!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Finally, I look as pretty as I feel.

I wish I could heal by flexing.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the newbie bonus was 50 making it one umbrite if you luck out.

It does take perhaps 50% longer than the other dungeons, but you get triple the (dungeon) reward out of it so its worth it in the end.

Yeah, First timer bonus is only 40. They doubled it up from 20. Never the less, it's still the most time efficient dungeon to run for esoterics now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Outfit is pretty dope too.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

spot the posters who are not mad about their DPS dropping to half what they're used to doing and spending 25 minutes in a dungeon instead of 10

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah. It's me. I'm that poster when it's a better esoteric farm than running without a ilvl cap.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ilifinicus posted:

spot the posters who are not mad about their DPS dropping to half what they're used to doing and spending 25 minutes in a dungeon instead of 10

I mean, the enemies also have lower HP

The second boss of ARF was one of my absolute favorite moments from Heavensward and I'm glad I get to relive it in roulette sometimes. I just wish it turned into Rafflesia and did a nerfed Blighted Bouquet instead of turning into the snake.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

ilifinicus posted:

Hey buddy, what's up?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I haven't done ARF since they added that in (too busy keeping caught up with Lore and gold saucer stuff and ARGH STILL GOTTA GET SHELLS AND SEEDS) but it's a pretty cool place with a proportionate reward. Makes sense to stick it in 60DR with that sort of reward.

ilifinicus posted:

something something, larger numbers are meaningless, something something, parsers are the devil.
potential retort: spot the poster who doesn't have all combat classes at 60 and should therefor be used to ilvl shenanigans by this point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

Haha, oh my god.

"I guess you aren't mad cause you aren't doing sick dps to notice the ilevel sync :smug:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Arf sucks because it doesnt drop loot for me to desynth or hand in for seals, both of which i care about more than esos even being on the latest anima step. Also its slow.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
People are up in arms over yoship suggesting a so-called "jump potion" so people can skip the main story quests and zoom right into the lore fun-tornado. Apparently letting people skip the easy as balls story quests will make the top level roulettes full of terrible players according to these people

however, as someone with a real life friend I am excited for the eventual opportunity to play with my buddy without making him go through two months of story all alone

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Completely 100% skipping that content is silly.

If the 'jump potion' gave a cliffnotes cutscene of everything that happened that would be cool and infinitely better.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Arf sucks because it doesnt drop loot for me to desynth or hand in for seals, both of which i care about more than esos even being on the latest anima step. Also its slow.

That's a gripe I can get behind. I'm OK with the Esoterics bonus since I want my Umbrite but if they're useless to you, then the lack of items to break down or exchange for GC Seals is really crappy. I mean, have you seen how much those Whetstones are going for on the Excalibur AH? It's a ridiculously easy way to get money.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

If the 'jump potion' gave a cliffnotes cutscene of everything that happened that would be cool and infinitely better.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if they just threw it in as an option to let you watch just the key cutscenes, with brief exposition dump entries between them, while still needing to do the required dungeons and trials(but not the solo duty filler battles.) Trim out all the time consuming and unimportant fat but keep the substance that makes the overall story still coherent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I'd totally support a fast track path in 4.0 where the game spends about 3-4 hours summarizing the 2.x and 3.x plot, levelling you up super fast, and giving you blatant instructions on how to play the game and your class. Leave the 2.0 and 3.0 quest starters lying around so people can start them if they really feel like it and justify them as echo flashbacks.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

well, lovely players will be terrible regardless so whatever

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I still remember booting the game up the first time and spending plenty of time in just LL enjoying all the things going on and watching people run around without just getting thrown at "kill 5 squirrels" immediately like most MMOs

Streamlining the gently caress out of quests between dungeons after level 15 yeah

Edit: Helps that LL is the best main city. God if I had started in Gridania I might have quit forever

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I would like a jump potion for alts once I hit lvl 60. I didn't mind the MSQ before HW which took approx a week of questing but I can see how other players would rather not. Also clearing out some of the extra quests would be nice that way I can see actual locations too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the best way to abuse this Amazon deal? I was gonna get the 60 days of FFXIV time but i do the entry pricing because I've only ever had the one character, so that's not really that great of a deal for me. I was considering getting the $20 blizzard bucks and just dumping it onto Overwatch.

Any recommendations?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
ARF's level sync is annoying but not a deal breaker. The real downside is a lack of crappy gear to turn in for seals, desynth...etc.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Coil stuff is pretty easy and chill if you run it unsynced with FC people!

People in the FCs will also usually be happen to run you through Coil because newbie bonus tomestones are always good for the anima weapons and their need for tens of thousands worth of tomestone items.

:same:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

What's the best way to abuse this Amazon deal? I was gonna get the 60 days of FFXIV time but i do the entry pricing because I've only ever had the one character, so that's not really that great of a deal for me. I was considering getting the $20 blizzard bucks and just dumping it onto Overwatch.

Any recommendations?

I was going to anyway but this was the push for me to pre-order FFXV. 20% discount for physical order thanks to Amazon Prime.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I kinda like all the poo poo you have to do between the big bits in ARR's storyline, mostly because of how pretty much all the minor NPCs from it show up later in the MSQ/in Postmoogle quests, but yeah it definitely should be optional.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean, I can't recommend this game to my friends anymore since they'd have to play through 2.5 full-length JRPGs to hit level 60. It just will not continue to be sustainable into 4.0. I'm sure S-E has already spent a lot of time brainstorming how to stop the correct advice from being "buy the expansion when you hit the previous level cap, it's worthless before that".

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 18, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's a lot more sustainable for the 3.0 stuff since overall the MSQ's have been decently short and to the point.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

EponymousMrYar posted:

In theory, this is the kind of niche The Unending Journey should be filling, but it's not great for that (no good indicator of the real major story beats) and nobody knows it exists anyway.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What are the other ASTs planning on doing with their anima? I can start dumping stats into mine, but I'm not sure which are the best. Det/Spd seem like the choices I'd pick overall, but I don't know if point per point they're actually worth it compared to crit. Piety seems like a waste since I don't have mp issues on AST, and Acc doesn't really impress me since I don't do savage raiding. I can dps fine in any of the content I do.

Not that my stat allocation is really going to matter, but it's nice to be part way optimized.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Unending journey is cool, but the lack of an autoplay for scenes that have like 10 cutscenes that are 20 seconds long really sucks. Short term it should get "pay all"button, longer term it needs a visual timeline to show how the various scenes flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, I can't recommend this game to my friends anymore since they'd have to play through 2.5 full-length JRPGs to hit level 60. It just will not continue to be sustainable into 4.0. I'm sure S-E has already spent a lot of time brainstorming how to stop the correct advice from being "buy the expansion when you hit the previous level cap, it's worthless before that".

I'm of the opinion that there's a lot of fat that could be trimmed in the MSQ without much lost in characterization or plotting. Cut out any leveling dungeons that aren't absolutely critical to the plot, get rid of some of the aggravating sidequests it sends you on (looking at you, Titan and Garuda), and compress the 2.0 MSQ leveling curve so that you're into Heavensward by the time you're level 50.

• Locked thread