Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Love the lighting/expression combos on these... :parrot:

MORE OWLS!

There were three owlets and an adult up in one grove, two sleeping and two eyeing the tourists below.

(not owl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I are majestic egret, really!
That horn is weird, I've never noticed or seen it before (then again I haven't seen many white pelicans).

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Linedance posted:

That horn is weird, I've never noticed or seen it before (then again I haven't seen many white pelicans).

They're only horny during the breeding season.

:rimshot: :parrot:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Great owlet shots, Alpenglow and InternetJunky. I'm jealous - the only occupied raptor nests I've found this year are at the tops of very tall trees.

I'm continuing to make regular visits to watch for Wood Duck nesting behavior at Sequoia Park. I saw a female take off into the trees a bit ago and found a tree cavity the was right in her flight path, but I didn't see any activity there when I came back and staked it out for the better part of an afternoon. During my last visit, the only Wood Ducks that left the pond ended up perching over 100 feet off the ground in a huge redwood, so I don't think there's a nest yet. Last year's ducklings emerged at the very end of June and were fully grown with time to spare before the fall migration, so I guess there's still time for nesting this summer. In the mean time, there's usually been at least one drake at a time on the pond to photograph.

duck-bath by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

They've stocked Freshwater Lagoon with trout a few times over the last month, so I've been trying to get out and film/photograph the Ospreys as much as I can while they're all coming to feed at the same place.

osprey-takeoff (1) by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I set up a GoPro to capture a wide angle of the Ospreys diving, but both of them that dove near me ended up landing just outside of the frame. I'm still pretty pleased with what I was able to film on the long lens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HT9VDTZKtg

A Great Blue Heron wandered too close to a Red-winged Blackbird's nest.

RWBB-GBH-combo by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

GET THE gently caress OFF MY BEACH

blackbird-strut by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Some Spotted Sandpipers doing a courtship display while I was waiting for Osprey activity to pick up:

spotted-sandpipers by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

White-tailed Kite:

kite-kiting by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Duckling wad:

duckling-cluster by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I finally got a picture of an owl today! Several of you have been knocking things out of the park with owls (and everything else), so my efforts aren't quite at that level, but I had some help from an extremely agitated Robin.
Sleepy Owl and Angry Robin by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Fish Creek Park, Calgary, Alberta.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

ExecuDork, that is a Great Horned right? It looks very silver compared to the west coast ones.

Moon Potato posted:

:wotwot: heap of amazing photos as always

How can that blackbird fly with such giant cojones? :stare: Love how the heron gets going with that lunatic on its back.

Last bird photos from last weekend in Utah. One was taken in an aviary, see if you can guess which!

Lazuli Buntings everywhere, it was awesome.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Alpenglow posted:

ExecuDork, that is a Great Horned right? It looks very silver compared to the west coast ones.

How can that blackbird fly with such giant cojones? :stare: Love how the heron gets going with that lunatic on its back.

Last bird photos from last weekend in Utah. One was taken in an aviary, see if you can guess which!

The eagle shot is killer, aviary or not!

The robins are right to freak out about that owl. I was in Montana a few years ago and saw a great horned that was plucking nestlings one at a time from a robin's nest to feed to its big fluffy babies.

adult_gho_montana 222 on Flickr

owl_eating_robin 220 on Flickr

40-year-old-owl 219 on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Alpenglow posted:

I thought so, too. I don't think it's a geographic-regional thing, I've seen GHOW in Saskatoon that were much more the typical brown colour. I've got photos of that owl somewhere, but I can't find them right now.

Another look at that angry Robin
Angry Robin with worm by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And some closer shots of the GHOW - the colour of the feathers is an incredibly close match with the colour and pattern of the bark of the poplar tree the owl is trying to sleep in.
Sleepy Owl 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sleepy Owl 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The robins are right to freak out about that owl.
[babies eating babies]
I'd never seen or heard a Robin mob a larger bird before, though I'm not surprised they do it because every other small-to-mid-size Passerine seems to engage in that kind of behaviour. What was more surprising was the lack of interest from other, nearby Robins and other small Passerines. A couple of years ago I watched a flock of Black-billed Magpies grow from about 4 to around 20 in about 5 minutes, drawn in by the calls of the first Magpies to spot the GHOW in a large spruce tree in Saskatoon. I didn't see the owl until it finally got sick of that poo poo and took off, pursued by the entire shrieking flock. This angry Robin was ballistic for at least 10 minutes before I tracked him and the owl down, and only one other Robin was paying any attention to the loud goings-on.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Keep the owls and owlets coming! I've had bad luck finding raptor activity lately, aside from the Ospreys.
Nice. That's a great pose and I like how the contour of the out-of-focus log in the background follows the shape of the eagle's head.

I saw my first Snowy Plover. The ones that remain on the Pacific coast to breed are extremely rare, so I just froze in place as soon as I realized what I was looking at and watched the little guy run around looking for flies in the dune plants. I took a ton of photos, but the heat coming off the sand was distorting the air so much that only a couple came out in focus.

snowy-plover by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Caspian Tern:

tern-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Mallard Ducklings fleeing from an otter that was hunting in their pond:

duckling-dash by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The mother was splashing around and quacking up a storm to distract the otter while her ducklings fled into the reeds.

mallard-mother by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A friend tipped me off about a Green Heron nest. The parents are still sitting on eggs, so I'm not going to try setting up with a blind for an extended stay yet. In the mean time, they seem fine with people walking by on the trail.

green-heron-nest by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Love all the owls.

The weather has started to get really beautiful here in Seattle, and just in time for lots of late springtime bird activity.

Here's a few from Discovery Park on Monday (and one from this morning).

A lazuli bunting made a surprise appearance. They're not unknown here, but generally they don't come as far north-west as Seattle.

HAY GUYZ WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD (I imagine this house finch is yelling)

Northern flickers are even more conspicuous than usual

yum yum

young rufous hummingbird

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Baby hawk contemplating taking its first flight.

BabyHawk.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Went out to find photography in suburban Kansas, came across a soaring bald eagle. Did not anticipate seeing one of these, so my 17-55mm was the only lens I had on hand. drat it.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Shooting birds with a 50mm because too lazy to bring the 70-200 to Europe :negative:

IMG_0307 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_0259 by Hannah, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A Barn Swallow feeding its newly-fledged chicks:

Feeding fledglings by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

fledglings-begging2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

feeding-fledglings2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Some Yellow-breasted Chats have moved into Arcata Marsh.

yellow-breasted chat by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A pair of Ospreys have nested on a tower at Humboldt Bay's north spit. They're incubating eggs now, and switch off nest duties every so often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHC5A7yqk7c

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Crossposting from Landscapes as I had no shortage of good photographic subjects on the weekend.

Ridiculously un-afraid of people Crimson Rosella's abounded, much colour. This one is a juvenile by all the green feathers.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Beautiful shots! I love those barn swallows, and the rosella is just gorgeous. And cute.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah wicked shots guys!

Oct 28, 2003

This thread is amazing. Sadly, all I can contribute is some boring backyard birding.
https://flic.kr/p/HXf4qS
Is this a peregrine falcon?
https://flic.kr/p/JnQkqF
Had a group of these guys roll through last time it was close to 100 degrees. There seemed to be some fledglings in the group that were begging for food from some of the adults. I think there were ~15 individuals in the group.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

138 posted:

This thread is amazing. Sadly, all I can contribute is some boring backyard birding.
https://flic.kr/p/HXf4qS
Is this a peregrine falcon?
That's a Cooper's Hawk. Nice shot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I thought owlet banding season was over but I got a couple of late opportunities recently.

Great Grey

Long-eared

Moon Potato posted:

Awesome shot, I love it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Moon Potato posted:

fledglings-begging2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

feeding-fledglings2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Feeding swallows are a loving goldmine for photos. Those are fantastic. I took this in Yellowstone a few years ago:
Tree Swallow Feeding Time1 by Josh, on Flickr

This is a garbage cell phone photo, but I was letting our dog out yesterday and followed the sound of upset songbirds to the hedge bordering our yard. Sure enough, this Western Screech-Owl was hanging out just trying to get some rest. They're tough to find around this area ever since Barred Owls moved in and started eating them.

Western Screech-Owl in the backyard. by Josh, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Eastern Kingbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
American Goldfinch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Mountain Bluebird (female) by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Mountain Bluebird (male) by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Brewer's Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Cedar Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Mountain Bluebird (female) by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Starlings by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Made it out for a bit this week, having better luck with the lens now that i'm not trying to make it do things that most lenses cant do.

Snack close up by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Close up by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Flying Geese by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Green Heron by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
So I ended up getting the Canon 100-400 II before my trip to Magee this year. So far I'm really enjoying this lens. Here's some choice shots of the warblers and other species I saw at Magee. I tried to embed the images but they were enormous, so here's a link..

http://imgur.com/a/1megw

ntrepid fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 25, 2016

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ntrepid posted:

So I ended up getting the Canon 100-400 II before my trip to Magee this year. So far I'm really enjoying this lens. Here's some choice shots of the warblers and other species I saw at Magee. I tried to embed the images but they were enormous, so here's a link..

Getting your money's worth- those are great shots.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Love the owlets, InternetJunky.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Feeding swallows are a loving goldmine for photos. Those are fantastic. I took this in Yellowstone a few years ago:
Tree Swallow Feeding Time1 by Josh, on Flickr
Nice. I was hoping to get some more like that this weekend since I'm pet-sitting for someone that has a Barn Swallow nest on their back porch, but it looks like they've fledged already.
Edit: The fledglings are back in the nest for the night. I'll try to get some shots of them tomorrow morning.
Edit2: These fledglings are a bit older than the last set, and the parents are trying to chase them away from the nest and make them hunt on their own now.

One of Arcata Marsh's Great Blue Herons let me set up pretty close to it the other day, then walked right up in front of me to catch a couple sculpins.

The super camera-friendly egret that hunts in the same area has been gone a lot lately (it probably has a nest at the nearby rookery), but it made a visit to its favorite feeding spot this week.

bruce-neck by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

An Osprey beginning a dive by flipping upside-down:

osprey-flip by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Violet-green Swallow skimming for insects:

violet-green-splash by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Pelagic Cormorants greeting each other at their rookery on Patrick's Point:

pelagic-cormorants by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 26, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Another long-eared shot:

All great stuff, but the bluebird with that green background is especially eye-popping. I would be tempted to crop vertical and get rid of the oof branches.

ntrepid posted:

These are incredible! Great job and congrats on the new lens.

Moon Potato posted:

One of Arcata Marsh's Great Blue Herons let me set up pretty close to it the other day, then walked right up in front of me to catch a couple sculpins.

An Osprey beginning a dive by flipping upside-down:

osprey-flip by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
I'm jealous you can get so close to herons, and even more jealous you can get everything in focus when they grab something. Poor fish seems to be crying out.

That's a fantastic osprey pose as well.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Made it out for a bit this week, having better luck with the lens now that i'm not trying to make it do things that most lenses cant do.
Whatever you're doing seems to be working as these shots are super sharp. They do seem pretty dark on my monitor however.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Another long-eared shot:

LOL, looks like you forgot to lock the aspect ratio when you resized. Great photo.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

White pelicans have been in town the last few weeks:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Another long-eared shot:

Were you out last week with the owl banders? Couple guys I know on Flickr were posting pics of this long-eared owl with the weird right eye

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Were you out last week with the owl banders? Couple guys I know on Flickr were posting pics of this long-eared owl with the weird right eye
Yeah, this was taken when the chicks were being banded. I owe a lot of my owl shots to those two guys.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wood pigeon by Spookygonk, on Flickr

A regular visitor to my garden not giving a poo poo about the sudden rain storm.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_1716.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_1805.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_1899.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Ducks by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Ducks by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice ducklings, Fart Amplifier. Are those Black Terns in the middle shot?

InternetJunky posted:

I'm jealous you can get so close to herons, and even more jealous you can get everything in focus when they grab something. Poor fish seems to be crying out.
That heron is incredibly mellow around people with the exception of dog-walkers and joggers. After I sit around for a few minutes to let it get used to my presence, it lets me crawl over to the outcropping above its favorite tidal sluice, and it won't even look up from fishing. Getting everything in focus was pure luck, though - I just hit AF-on and the shutter as soon as it started to shake its head, and everything happened to be within the field of focus.

There are a few Marsh Wren nests under construction in plain view right now. This little guy is carrying up cattail fluff and feathers to line the nest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXBhk6QfnA

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love watching him work. :allears: That nest must be fluffy heaven.

Those are some awfully nice duckling photos for a guy named Fart Amplifier. :kimchi:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

"Feed us"

Gulls by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

"Feed me"

Duck by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm sorry if it's poor form to talk about gear here, but I'm having a dilemma with which lens to get for my 60D. It's a toss up between the 70-200 F4L IS and 70-300 F4-5.6L. I do enjoy wildlife/bird photography but I've been let down by the optics in my cheapo 50-200.

The plan is to eventually to get the Sigma 150-600 to use at home, so the 70-200 or 70-300 will mostly be a travel lens. Is the 70-200 too short? The 70-300 too slow? I hate choosing lenses. :smith:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

I'm sorry if it's poor form to talk about gear here, but I'm having a dilemma with which lens to get for my 60D. It's a toss up between the 70-200 F4L IS and 70-300 F4-5.6L. I do enjoy wildlife/bird photography but I've been let down by the optics in my cheapo 50-200.

The plan is to eventually to get the Sigma 150-600 to use at home, so the 70-200 or 70-300 will mostly be a travel lens. Is the 70-200 too short? The 70-300 too slow? I hate choosing lenses. :smith:

I haven't used the 70-200 but I do have the 70-300L. It's not a real specialized birding lens, but it's fantastic as a general landscape/people/wildlife walk-around. IS is great. One thing to note is that it only takes some 3rd party TCs. I've been super-thrilled with mine, and don't find it redundant with the much larger 150-600.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have the 70-200 and while the optics on it are fantastic, and the autofocus works faster than any other lens I've ever used, it is pretty short specifically for birding. Unless you have a tendency to be able to get pretty close to the birds you're shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ijyt posted:

The 70-300 is also too short to be honest.

e: A goon is selling a 70-300 in SA-Mart btw.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 5, 2016