Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Really good game here!

I've been playing it through on Harbinger for my first run through as I imagine if I don't i'll breeze through it in no time from what people have been saying.

I've run into a couple of interface bugs:
In the settings menu where the graphics options can get cut off in what I assume is the last entry.

The other more serious bug is that interface elements from the different game states can carry over. For instance sometimes when I open the menu to restart the mission, a weapon/modification screen will come up over the top of it, and has to be cancelled. I was being pretty rough with the UI when I noticed this happening. Typically mashing esc to restart right after losing an interceptor.

Controls and gameplay wise the game is excellent, figuring out a strategy that works is cool, and I really like how boosting and drifting work together.
I just hold down the boost button 24/7 and feather the drift button to change direction.
You can orbit targets doing this and the high acceleration means you don't get hit by the AI unless its using flak. Its a lot of fun.

I think these mechanics would make for some awesome multiplayer. Definitely blows the current crop of space sims out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Thanks for playing! I'm gonna try to see if I can reproduce the menu bug over here. Knowing that mashing ESC after dying is super helpful.

I have been adding a ton of options, so it's probably no wonder you are seeing the list cut off there. I'll take a look at that too. Thanks!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This game is awesome. Thanks for making me feel like I'm a fighter in Homeworld; I never knew how much I wanted it.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Having fun with the game so far, but I've got a strange issue when trying to play via Steam Link. I can run the game fine on my desktop, but launching through Link on my TV results in an unplayable, stuttery mess that has no sound. When I say stuttery I mean it's bad enough that I have trouble getting out of the game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

General Battuta posted:

Oh poo poo, does it actually work? I got so much use out of the beam lance that I barely tried it — and I figured it was glitched or something.

I'm getting worried about the repair drone nerf, all my flagship killing strats basically require the frigate to reach beam range :(

I could never get the beam frigate to work like artillery does. I just loaded up the arty, set three torpedo destroyers to defend it with either repair/flak drones or onmiflak (you want to be able to shoot down carrier/flagship missiles), and it just goes to town on everything. You can run around taking care of all the objectives while your capships clean up everything bigger than a destroyer. If you get shot up, gap drive to your capship fortress and call a defend order.

I think my preferred setup was:
torpedo/omniflak, repair drone/extra thrust
artillery/omniflak, literally anything/extra thrust

The longer the capship squadron is engaged for the better, hence thrust mod. If all you want to do is kill the flagship, use shields instead of thrust IMO.

I never found the shorter range setup as effective. Damage is high in this game, so being in range for longer is a massive boost to how much a ship gets done.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love that there is an Achievement for ramming a life pod to death.

But my favorite is shooting them with a torpedo.

While I am at it, kamikaze does not trigger when ramming life pods. I have mixed feelings on the matter.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think torpedoes should get another shot, bombs should be six single shots, and the upgrade should be "50% more special weapon ammo".
But that's just me.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, I used an Arty frig. It tore flagships and carriers apart, and I never bothered with repair drones.

I noticed it seems to miss destroyers and the like. Not that destroyers warrant frigate usage anyway, but still.
Is the nerf already on the beta branch? My capital flotilla is suddenly less survivable.

Section Z posted:

I love that there is an Achievement for ramming a life pod to death.

But my favorite is shooting them with a torpedo.

While I am at it, kamikaze does not trigger when ramming life pods. I have mixed feelings on the matter.
Does ramming a lifepod do any damage at all to you?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I bought the game at release but I have not had much of a chance to play it,
What I did notice in the tutorial mission is that there are no subtitles for the radio chatter, and I am finding the radio chatter a bit hard to understand (slightly diminished hearing, and english as a second language does not help).
Is there any chance for subtitles for the radio chatter instructions?

Edit: Or I am an idiot and I could not find the options on the options menu, haha. Whatever the case, whenever possible I always activate subs in games for those reasons.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The radio chatter doesn't provide any information you need, it's more flavour and confirmation of kills combined with some ship status updates. You get a better understanding of that from looking at the hull/shield bars on the ship icons at the bottom of the screen, though.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

GotLag posted:

The radio chatter doesn't provide any information you need, it's more flavour and confirmation of kills combined with some ship status updates. You get a better understanding of that from looking at the hull/shield bars on the ship icons at the bottom of the screen, though.

The tutorial radio actually does have directions to follow. It being hard to understand has been brought up before.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Doesn't it have on-screen instructions for everything you need to do, though?

Is there any way to issue a move command to your destroyers/frigate? Missions like Brood Mother are a real pain in the arse because I can't seem to get my ships to reliably attack targets on the other side of an asteroid.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

GotLag posted:

Is there any way to issue a move command to your destroyers/frigate? Missions like Brood Mother are a real pain in the arse because I can't seem to get my ships to reliably attack targets on the other side of an asteroid.

Hit Y instead of X to issue move commands from the tactical view?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Tanith posted:

Hit Y instead of X to issue move commands from the tactical view?

or press M

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GotLag posted:

Doesn't it have on-screen instructions for everything you need to do, though?

On the subject, is there way I'm overlooking to order a mass move, instead of individually selecting every single ship I want to go somewhere?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Section Z posted:

On the subject, is there way I'm overlooking to order a mass move, instead of individually selecting every single ship I want to go somewhere?

No there isn't. It isn't hugely important to move guys -- I was even debating removing the order altogether!

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Section Z posted:

Move one thing, order everything else to defend it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Night Shade posted:

Move one thing, order everything else to defend it.
Or just order everything to attack a target then select one ship and tell other ships to defend it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If you're using a mouse, you can draw a selection box around friendlies.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I've completed every mission on every difficulty including Harbinger. I still can't equip the artillery for my frigate. Assuming this is a bug, but I really do want to try it out. Should I restart?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

I've completed every mission on every difficulty including Harbinger. I still can't equip the artillery for my frigate. Assuming this is a bug, but I really do want to try it out. Should I restart?

Assuming you're on the Beta branch, just redo the Tannhauser mission again to completion. That should nett you the weapon.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Or reset campaign and do them again!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I wish the Ember Lance was more useful. I just used it to destroy the flagship on The Cartographer but that was only because I knew where the flagship would come in, pre-positioned my frigate to be almost in range, and had three destroyers guarding it with repair drones. Even then I think it was mostly the destroyer missiles and interceptor bombs that did the damage.

The best fit-out for the frigate to use the Lance appears to be AP rounds and carapace armour, with destroyer repair drones. The armour soaks up all the flagship torpedoes, and the AP rounds are required to actually do meaningful damage to the flagship.

On a related note, is there ever a reason to equip destroyers with cannon instead of torpedoes?

Kairo posted:

No there isn't. It isn't hugely important to move guys -- I was even debating removing the order altogether!

Move orders to ambush enemy reinforcements are the only thing that makes the Ember Lance useful and the frigate not total dead-weight before it gets artillery :colbert:

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I don't know why trying to play Elite Dangerous in VR is a nightmare, and on the other hand playing this in VR is a dream, but it is. Awesome game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GotLag posted:

Move orders to ambush enemy reinforcements are the only thing that makes the Ember Lance useful and the frigate not total dead-weight before it gets artillery :colbert:

Nah, I killed all the flagships in the game with the ember lance! I was running speed boost/shields and repair drone destroyers. Love that thing.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Alright I finally beat Tannhauser Gate on Harbinger (and every other mission, and all the endings). There are still 2 secret achievements I haven't unlocked yet. Are there secret endings or is it for as-of-yet-unreleased content or is something bugged?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kairo posted:

Woah, now. Sure, most of the time it's a non-issue, but there's at least one mission (the optional objective in the mission where you kill the Prince comes to mind) where my preferred strategy hinges on hiding behind certain rocks. While there is another strategy I could use, reducing the number of viable ways to beat a mission is the exact opposite of what I want from this game- I already feel like there's just a couple of optimal strategies per mission and have to go out of my way to find much replay value.

Having a move order is also pretty important just for flavor: for some reason, it evokes that Homeworld feel of "you're really commanding a space fleet!" much more strongly than just assigning objectives does. And it gives me a significantly greater sense of freedom and control, even when I don't need it.

What I'm trying to say is, please don't ever do something like that, you'd streamline your game down to a nub.

Anyway, the lack of mass orders for complex functions is a problem for more things than just movement. It's one of the first frustrations I ran into with the game. I want to be able to order all my fighters to bomb something, or get multiple ships assigned to defend something without having to do every one individually. Sure, the radial menu from in-cockpit does exactly that, but it's awkward to have basic controls split across two interfaces.

What I'd like to see is buttons turn into a dropdown menu or partial radial if you hold them. For example, have it so if you highlight an enemy carrier and hold the 'attack with fighters' button instead of just pressing, you'll get additional options for 'everybody bomb this' or whatever else.

For defense of friendlies, the unused A button could be put to use, with an additional submenu to select what type of craft to assign.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Smoke effect from Flagship's bridge is weird. You can compare it with smoke effect from destroyed turret.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What effect does destroying the bridge actually have?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I want to say it does a ton of damage and completely disables the ship for 90 seconds or so.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I think it says there are fires detected on the bridge when you shoot it enough, so maybe they have to have an OSHA review and that would really take up a lot of their time.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I had a sensible chuckle at the, TheMostFrench.

Helter Skelter posted:

I want to say it does a ton of damage and completely disables the ship for 90 seconds or so.

Do the flagship weapons actually shut down? I recall nuking the bridge, but then saw another missile volley pop out so I ran. Probably remembering wrong, though, game plays fast and tight.

Wouldn't mind a percent chance of critical catastrophic event on sub-system damage.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Ok so how are you supposed to navigate the campaign map? I have tried using/remapping menu buttons and radial buttons and I can't do anything other than select the highlighted mission. Tried reinstall but made no difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Wynand posted:

Alright I finally beat Tannhauser Gate on Harbinger (and every other mission, and all the endings). There are still 2 secret achievements I haven't unlocked yet. Are there secret endings or is it for as-of-yet-unreleased content or is something bugged?

All the secret achievements are ending related. Have you gone back and redone the final mission since you've gotten the first three endings?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Banano posted:

Ok so how are you supposed to navigate the campaign map? I have tried using/remapping menu buttons and radial buttons and I can't do anything other than select the highlighted mission. Tried reinstall but made no difference.

"Flick Select Vertical"
"Flick Select Horizontal"

This is also useful in the tactical mode. The new version of the middleware I'm using lets me create at least a semi-generic version of the controls for all flight sticks and I'm setting that up now. Hopefully it'll be better in the future.

Edit: And "Menu Confirm" launches the mission.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Complete all the objectives, kill the enemy flagship, destroy all the enemies for no loss, coming around to line up on the exit marker, screen suddenly goes black.

INTERCEPTOR "ORO" HAS BEEN DESTROYED
INTERCEPTOR "WHENT" HAS BEEN DESTROYED

Nice flying, rear end in a top hat :mad:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just checking in to say this is a Good Game and it makes me happy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Gap Drive with the recharge on kill upgrade is fun as heck

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I feel stupid for not really getting into the drift mechanic until now. I guess I was too used to Freelancer where it was only of marginal utility (namely exploiting an error in the enemy AI to drift backwards and make them fly away from you to "chase" you).

Now I'm listening to fast music and doing drive-bys, it's like a whole new game again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can anyone tell me if the soundtrack from the trailer in the OP is present in the actual game? Felt very BSG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Same dude that did BSG Diaspora (Freelancer 2 mod) I think.

• Locked thread