Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tacodemon. (Credit to Robzilla/Goonzilla for finding it :cheeky:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I managed to make a rising platform with a switch and everything and it works fine, but now i'm struggling with Babby's First Door :')

nvm it werx now

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 17, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It has been a while since I've built a door (like 15 years) but it's easy. Make a sector with floor height = ceiling height = the floor height of the surrounding sectors, and attach the door effect to the linedefs that connect to the surrounding sectors. Optionally, put a door texture on the upper textures of those same linedefs so it looks like a door. Also, you can unpeg the textures of the walls on the inside sides of the door so they don't move with it when it opens.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Can a door have more than 2 working sides?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

Can a door have more than 2 working sides?

It can have as many as you want (or even 1 side if you want it to lock behind the player) and be in whatever shape you want. All you need to do is make sure that the door trigger linedefs are facing the right way, i.e. away from the door, and that it starts in a closed position.

edit: Okay you don't have to make doors start in a closed position, but when they close on their own after being opened for the first time they'll lower entirely to the floor rather than their starting position so it's weird if they aren't closed initially

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 17, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Samuel Clemens posted:

You mean spawn the Spider Mastermind? Eventually yes, although on my second run, it took quite a while for him to teleport in.
It's actually only supposed to spawn him in the third time you try to pick it up. It's supposed to teleport away from you the first two times.:D If anyone can figure out why it's not working as intended, please let me know. If not, I'll just have to rearrange that room to streamline things.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LogicalFallacy posted:

It's actually only supposed to spawn him in the third time you try to pick it up. It's supposed to teleport away from you the first two times.:D If anyone can figure out why it's not working as intended, please let me know. If not, I'll just have to rearrange that room to streamline things.

Sounds like something that Doom64 would pull.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I saw something in the list of effects about Outdoor Fog in a sector. That's not something Doom does right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Feedback on "Very Cross":

- Do another pass on doors. Some don't have the same texture on both sides, and many don't have their tracks unpegged.
- The flickering light in the start room is weird. Far too dark when off, and same light level as the rest of the area when on.
- I'd suggest switching around the door to reach the secret with the automap, it's a bit odd to have to go through what looks like a solid midtexture.
- There's no way to lower the cross elevator once you're in. Maybe put a switch or teleporter for those who want to backtrack? I found out near the end I had missed one monster and one secret (because I don't like jumping in lava).
- A supershotgun (or a berserk pack) would be nice to take down the bullet sponges faster.
- Texturing themes were a bit all over the place. It's okay if it's a deliberate choice, it's just that I've become used to thematic consistency in most levels.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
oh god switching to hexen broke EVERYTHING

fuuuuuuck this was a huge mistake

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

edit: thank god I have the google drive version as a backup.

editx2: Okay, here's what I'll do: I'll fix the sectors the immobile chaingunners are in. I'll fix the one misaligned texture no one has noticed. I'll rig a stop at the last boss fight. Some of the doors I'll match textures on, but some of them that was a deliberate choice. Otherwise this is staying as Doom2 for now, so no scripting and no configurable light flickers. Sorry, but I don't have the skill to fix this quickly to work with the hexen format, and I don't have the knowledge to make very basic things work yet.

extra edit: haha, somehow the flickering light in the start room is fixed!

Final DooM edit: Here's version 1.01. Unless I broke something while making edits and fixes, this is the last iteration I'm going to do of this map. A lot was learned doing it, and I wouldn't have been able to get as far as I did without you guys. Download it here from Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwC0_bVs2ISnbjBHMDhoT2tLTlE

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 17, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

oh god switching to hexen broke EVERYTHING

Yeah, all the line types and thing flags are changed.

There's an old conversion program that can do it for you, though: zwadconv. It's included among the editing utilities on the ZDoom download page.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, all the line types and thing flags are changed.

There's an old conversion program that can do it for you, though: zwadconv. It's included among the editing utilities on the ZDoom download page.

Am I blind? I don't see it there.

edit: I am blind. thanks.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 18, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

A.o.D. posted:

Am I blind? I don't see it there.
It's packaged in the editing utilities download.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thyrork posted:

I forgot to comment on this earlier but it's cute :kimchi:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why isn't the run bar with the argument "C:\Doom Builder 2\zwadconv.exe <verycross.wad> <verycrossz.wad>" or "C:\Doom Builder 2\zwadconv.exe verycross.wad verycrossz.wad" working? I keep getting a Windows cannot find the file... etc, even though it's right loving there. Is it not compatible with Win10?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

Why isn't the run bar with the argument "C:\Doom Builder 2\zwadconv.exe <verycross.wad> <verycrossz.wad>" or "C:\Doom Builder 2\zwadconv.exe verycross.wad verycrossz.wad" working? I keep getting a Windows cannot find the file... etc, even though it's right loving there. Is it not compatible with Win10?

Hold shift and then right-click in the folder with zwadconv.exe in it, then choose "open command window here." Then try the command again in that window and see if that works. Windows probably isn't happy with the space in the path.

edit: alternatively, I think putting quotes around the path and name of the executable will tell it that the spaces are part of the path

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Hold shift and then right-click in the folder with zwadconv.exe in it, then choose "open command window here." Then try the command again in that window and see if that works. Windows probably isn't happy with the space in the path.

edit: alternatively, I think putting quotes around the path and name of the executable will tell it that the spaces are part of the path

That worked. Thank you!

edit: and so does every linedef, entity, and trigger in the converted map, so that's nice.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 18, 2016

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Thyrork posted:

drat if that ain't my new steam avatar, boys.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My map has been updated.

• Added co-op starts... like anybody's gonna play this thing in co-op.
  • Changed some of the scripting in the last room of the Gold Floor and added the repeatable flag to the teleporter, to prevent any problems in co-op.
  • Renamed the sprites for the metal chair gibs to fix a conflict with Smooth Doom.
  • Added unique gib sprites for the monitors so they no longer spew out chair legs.
  • Adjusted one of the platforms near the start of the blue floor, so that you can no longer get stuck behind one of the lava containers.
  • Adjusted the geometry of the Chainsaw secret in order to make the secret easier to trigger consistantly.
  • Fixed a HOM bug with Monster Lockers on the gold floor.
  • Fixed the exit not triggering in the ending. Oops.
  • Made the Powerpoint a little slower, by request.
  • Removed the "cutoff" on the outside window areas on the Gold Floor.
  • Added a little polish to the falling-to-your-death sequence.
  • Minor tweaks to the sounds to reduce filesize.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What are some of the most gorgeous, detailed, or atmospheric custom Doom levels/megawads out there? I was always disappointed with the design of the original Inferno episode, and have looked for levels/megawads with a more dark, detailed Hellish feel. I remember a megawad for BD from a few years ago called Beyond Hell & Earth that had some cool-ish and creative hell levels, and I've liked really detailed dark stuff like that one map from DUMP 2 that was heavily reminiscent of Doom 64 (I love doom 64's atmosphere and design) and that one Giger-inspired map that was never finished. I'm not too concerned with difficulty or fair enemy/item placement so much as aesthetics. What else am I missing out on?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You really want to play Hellbound. The Hell levels especially in that game are pretty goddamn cool.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Back to Basics" isn't strictly in Hell, but it's a Shores of Hell episode replacement that fits the theme of the original levels while doing the corrupted base thing a lot better. The only complaint I have with it is that it doesn't have you stepping off a portal at the start of the first level. Not that the original E2M1 looked even a bit like the endpoint of the E1M8 portal though.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/a-c/b2b

It's one of the first wads I saw that skillfully used the game's fleshy textures for demonic growths. Doom has fantastic texture work but a lot of it is pretty underutilized in the original levels. (exception being that Romero's levels in Knee Deep in the Dead made drat good use of the techbase textures)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Origami Dali posted:

What are some of the most gorgeous, detailed, or atmospheric custom Doom levels/megawads out there? I was always disappointed with the design of the original Inferno episode, and have looked for levels/megawads with a more dark, detailed Hellish feel. I remember a megawad for BD from a few years ago called Beyond Hell & Earth that had some cool-ish and creative hell levels, and I've liked really detailed dark stuff like that one map from DUMP 2 that was heavily reminiscent of Doom 64 (I love doom 64's atmosphere and design) and that one Giger-inspired map that was never finished. I'm not too concerned with difficulty or fair enemy/item placement so much as aesthetics. What else am I missing out on?

If you haven't already, I recommend checking out:

-Ultimate Torment and Torture
-Demon Eclipse (unfinished project, but had an either finished or 95% finished hell episode)
-ZDCMP2
-A few maps from ZPack (I recommend Terror Cube, Fried Fortress, and Blackrock off the top of my head as atmospheric hell maps. Probably some others as well.)
-The Void of Hell
-Whispers of Satan
-The Eye (single map by mouldy)
-Unloved

As a fellow Doom hadeophile, I can attest that at least some of these ought to turn your crank. There are probably more but this is what I have off the top of my head.

e: Oh, despite its somewhat polarizing reputation, I recommend KDIZD as well if you want visuals and hellish corruption and gameplay is no object.

e2: CChest4

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 18, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh man, KDIZD has some really good hell corruption poo poo in it. It's just too bad about its gameplay. I like how in the first level it tried to do something different with how you have to find a bomb to blow open a cracked wall, but then by Computer Station you're just collecting keycards of every colour you can think of. (or 6, whichever is fewer colours)

edit: Also it went more than a little overboard with the new enemies didn't it

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I didn't really find KDIZD's gameplay to be that bad (I even found the secret map exit on my own the first time :smuggo: ) but I know pants were shat about it so I figured I'd include the disclaimer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed my playthrough of it and I'm probably going to play it again eventually (edit: mostly because I loved the poo poo out of the architecture). I just can't think of any way to describe KDIDZ's added keys and enemies as anything other than "that's enough, holy poo poo stop"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 18, 2016

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I found the worst part of KDIDZ was that awful underground section added to E1M3. Just when you think you've beaten the map, you get thrown into a confusing underground mine and have to go and hunt for ANOTHER set of keycards in order to beat the map, but this time the keycards are placed in obscure locations!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Origami Dali posted:

What are some of the most gorgeous, detailed, or atmospheric custom Doom levels/megawads out there?

Sunder
Sunlust
Valiant
Ancient Aliens
Back to Saturn X
Hell Ground
Frozen Time
The Ultimate Torment and Torture
ZDCMP2
ZPack

Note that the atmosphere and detail isn't necessarily hell-themed in all those, but they're interesting vistas nonetheless.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you for the feedback, CJacobs.

CJacobs posted:

I feel like the opening Cacostorm 2016 is a bit unfair to the player since they might, like me, not realize they can climb the pillars and thus not see the rocket launcher up there. Personally I'd go one more quarter turn around the pillar with the platforms, so that it's just barely in view at the start so the player knows it's there. There's really no way to survive the level without it.

I see what you are saying - I didn't want to change the geometry, but I added a trail of rockets leading up the steps to give some indication that the player can get up there.

Samuel Clemens, I couldn't reproduce that missing texture bug in your screenshot; the textures, linedefs and light levels seem to be correct, and I can't see the issue in GZDoom. Hopefully the DUMP team can help me squash this one. Thanks for replaying the level and giving me feedback again!

E: Can anyone recommend a (preferably free) tool for editing/creating MIDI files?

NAG fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 18, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NAG posted:

E: Can anyone recommend a (preferably free) tool for editing/creating MIDI files?

Sekaiju is probably the best MIDI editing freeware.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NAG posted:

Thank you for the feedback, CJacobs.

No problem man, I think the rocket crumb trail is a good compromise. I know full well the pain in the rear end it can be to rearrange weirdly shaped geometry. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Whispers of Satan has very impressive hell maps from map21 onwards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Just dropping back through to throw Unholy Realms and Bloodstain on the list for beautiful hell/hell-corrupted levels. Bloodstain MAP29 alone is worth the price of admission.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplYljHn8DE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This isn't the minecraft thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dance! Dance, bonegundaddy!

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdygPfL3-g

I found a crappy but awesome midi of "it's my life" by bon jovi and now I am absolutely loving determined to put this in a Doom wad somewhere.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 19, 2016

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hi guys I'm more or less done with my DUMP3 map, if any of you have time to give it a quick spin I'd appreciate it.

Here's the link. Edit: Uploaded the file before I touched it in SLADE, might be less hosed.

I tried to add some music with SLADE. Importing the file, HighVolt.mid, then creating a MapInfo entry that looks like this:

map (MAP01) "CLOVERHOUSE"
{
next = "EndGame1"
music = "HighVolt.mid"
}

But none of this seems to work. I'm probably not adding the entry the right way, I'm guessing. Also I can't seem to get it to load directly into the map when setting it first in the ZDL load order, I have to type "open clvrhaus.wad" in gzdoom. This is probably noob poo poo 101 but if you know how to get it working that'd be nice :)

Actual map stuff:
First map ever, difficulty / pacing / gameplay might feel off, but should be sorta okay.

Icept fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

This owns

CJacobs posted:

Dance! Dance, bonegundaddy!

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdygPfL3-g

I found a crappy but awesome midi of "it's my life" by bon jovi and now I am absolutely loving determined to put this in a Doom wad somewhere.

Do eeeeeeeeeeeet!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Icept posted:

Hi guys I'm more or less done with my DUMP3 map, if any of you have time to give it a quick spin I'd appreciate it.

Here's the link.

I tried to add some music with SLADE. Importing the file, HighVolt.mid, then creating a MapInfo entry that looks like this:

map (MAP01) "CLOVERHOUSE"
{
next = "EndGame1"
music = "HighVolt.mid"
}

But none of this seems to work. I'm probably not adding the entry the right way, I'm guessing. Also I can't seem to get it to load directly into the map when setting it first in the ZDL load order, I have to type "open clvrhaus.wad" in gzdoom. This is probably noob poo poo 101 but if you know how to get it working that'd be nice :)

Actual map stuff:
First map ever, difficulty / pacing / gameplay might feel off, but should be sorta okay.

How do I get the map to run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Uh, I sorta had it in my gzdoom folder and typed "open clvrhaus.wad" in the console when running gzdoom. I don't know why it wont open per default when setting the wad as a command line argument for the program.