Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

I was 11 years old when this happened, on summer vacation with my family in Florida at my grandparents' house.

I don't think I went to sleep until 3 or 4 AM when it happened because I couldn't peel myself away from the TV. None of us could. It was surreal; like a weird dream of some kind. I was switching between CNN and network news listening to all the talking heads and ex cops and lawyers giving their take on what could happen.
I was in India with my mom and my brother, way back before the Internet age and when India broadcasted Western media, so my dad told us all about it in a handwritten letter.

As a dumbass 14-year-old my first reaction was literally "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE NAKED GUN MOVIES"

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sam bradford lmao posted:

As a dumbass 14-year-old my first reaction was literally "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE NAKED GUN MOVIES"

Once the 'holy poo poo' had worn off after that Bronco chase this was definitely my first reaction.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
These are some brutal photos.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i still can't get over this entire thing being nationally televised.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Where is it, Mr. Fung?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

swickles posted:

These are some brutal photos.

Dude exactly what I thought. Holy poo poo. Like drat.

loving blood everywhere. Showing the body pics. Jesus.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Darden should have never practiced law ever again after that

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Dunno if I should spoiler or not but they literally show Nicole's almost severed neck at one point so you might want to watch out for that. Now I know what a person's airway looks like :smith:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

Darden should have never practiced law ever again after that

I feel bad for Darden, dude was a rookie who was brought in only because he was black. Dude got kicked around at every point.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Peter Hyams got to include the word of the summer in his interview, glad we got that in there. The story is relevant to this day.

ESPN announced tonight that tonight's showing will be the only time this will be broadcast on television with the photos completely shown.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
oh god damnit that loving photo why.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drat, that was some super murder. Like, each person had 2-3 distinct injuries that alone are mortal.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Oh boy, it's racist shithead cop time

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Getting stabbed to death and dragged around would be a rough way to go out.

Jesus rolling up on that as an investigator.

Also my boss thinks OJ is innocent.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cochran invoking Hitler before it was commonplace to do that

Sick

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My favorite part has been: "OJ hated Buffalo. It was like getting sent off to Siberia..."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

Cochran invoking Hitler before it was commonplace to do that

Sick

I would have loved to hear the phone call that night between Cochran and Shapiro.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Poonerman posted:

oh god damnit that loving photo why.

What is this? The TFF Survivor Discussion thread??

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
So does anyone have an explanation for my earlier question

like what was the context in which that cop started yelling friend of the family a bunch. he was getting interviewed for a movie script, which I don't know why it was him but w/e, and he just started throwing friend of the family around?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:stare:

Yeah I must have totally missed this part.

Also I forgot OJ was attempting suicide during the Bronco chase.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Scionix posted:

like what was the context in which that cop started yelling friend of the family a bunch. he was getting interviewed for a movie script, which I don't know why it was him but w/e, and he just started throwing friend of the family around?

The first utterance was when he was trying to cheat lapd into granting him a pension. The second series was when he was being interviewed by someone who like wanted a realistic portrayal of cops and he claims he was acting over the top racist for "dramatic" purposes.

fsif posted:

Hardly anyone—including Bills fans—would associate the name “OJ Simpson” with the player that rushed for 2000 yards before they would with the man in the white Bronco. It sort of implicitly states that his on-field contributions were more important than his off-the-field actions. It's just really tasteless.

His on field accomplishments are separated from his personal life. Let's say an author wrote a masterpiece but later we found out he had some racist views or did something criminal. Do we not acknowledge that he wrote the book or do we retroactively burn every copy of that book? If we take O.J.s name down it doesn't suddenly mean he didn't rush for 2,000 yards. I get why people feel that way, I'm just saying for me it's easy for me to separate the young football player from the middle aged murderer. Probably there are some people who were pretty damned lovely in the Hall of Fame.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 18, 2016

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

pasaluki posted:

The first utterance was when he was trying to cheat lapd into granting him a pension. The second series was when he was being interviewed by someone who like wanted a realistic portrayal of cops and he claims he was acting over the top racist for "dramatic" purposes.

yeah the first one is just like :stare: I was just having a hard time wrapping my head around the context for the tape recordings.

also has there ever been a crime/justice docu where jurors didn't come off as incredibly dumb assholes

e:also I never really like whitewashing people from history, we can put our big boy pants on and recognize OJ simpson was a historically good football player while also a murderer and megolomaniac

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Scionix posted:

also has there ever been a crime/justice docu where jurors didn't come off as incredibly dumb assholes

The jurors were dumb, witless fucks, but the prosecution was somehow even worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Scionix posted:

Maybe she gave him signals that she is okay with it, racists will open up rather quickly if you are seen as sympathetic.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

pasaluki posted:

The jurors were dumb, witless fucks, but the prosecution was somehow even worse.

litigators don't really like having intelligent juries

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah having a court room of your peers when racial tensions were real bad at the time in LA probably doesn't work out well....

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

"Scionix" posted:

Smart people don't get locked into a 6month job that pays 10 bucks a day and has them isolated from interacting with the world all that time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Scionix posted:

e:also I never really like whitewashing people from history, we can put our big boy pants on and recognize OJ simpson was a historically good football player while also a murderer and megolomaniac

No one is advocating removing him from the record books—the question is specifically about his name on the Bills Wall of Fame. The criteria for inclusion is already capricious; some white collar Ralph Wilson lackey named Pat McGroder is on the drat thing. It's not a historical document. But oops, my pants, these are not the big boy ones..

pasaluki posted:

His on field accomplishments are separated from his personal life. Let's say an author wrote a masterpiece but later we found out he had some racist views or did something criminal. Do we not acknowledge that he wrote the book or do we retroactively burn every copy of that book? If we take O.J.s name down it doesn't suddenly mean he didn't rush for 2,000 yards. I get why people feel that way, I'm just saying for me it's easy for me to separate the young football player from the middle aged murderer. Probably there are some people who were pretty damned lovely in the Hall of Fame.
I hear where you're coming from, but OJ Simpson is fundamentally different from an author who "had some racist views or did something criminal." And, again, I don't want to burn any books, I just want to take him off a loving hype wall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Carl Douglas should be interviewed for all courtroom documentaries.

Scionix posted:

"I don't respect any woman who takes a beating" is such a loving depressing sentiment.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Henchman of Santa posted:

Carl Douglas should be interviewed for all courtroom documentaries.

"I don't respect any woman who takes a beating" is such a loving depressing sentiment.

From a woman too :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She also blamed her for staying in the relationship as if she didn't get divorced.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish I would get picked for jury duty on a crazy murder case. I want to be sequestered for half a year and then write a book and retire.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

For some reason the thing that affected me most so far in this documentary was Ron Shipp getting choked up about the first homicide he covered.

Just to see something so horrible and for it to still hit you like that all these years later :smith: ugh

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ehud posted:

For some reason the thing that affected me most so far in this documentary was Ron Shipp getting choked up about the first homicide he covered.

Just to see something so horrible and for it to still hit you like that all these years later :smith: ugh

Yeah, despite being a cop he comes off as about the only honest person in all of this. And OJ smeared the poo poo out of him on tv in court :commissar:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I was thinking, who does come off looking good in all this? Because there is only like one or two really so far.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
somehow the district attorney doesn't come off as a cartoon villain, which is an accomplishment

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If your talking about that cop who broke down then yeah.

I think he generally was OJs boy. And was like dude what the gently caress did you do?!?!?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So this is before my cognizant time. How can one be found not guilty for murder but guilty in civil court for murder?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So this is before my cognizant time. How can one be found not guilty for murder but guilty in civil court for murder?

Different legal requirements. In criminal trial you need "beyond reasonable doubt". In civil you only need a "preponderance of evidence". You could even rephrase that to a more football friendly "more likely than not".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I know that much but it does kinda feel like murder is an on/off switch. The legal system is fascinating

• Locked thread