Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've had two of the Win 10 Pro keys from Kinguin. One's on a friends PC and one on my mothers i3 system. Also had a 7 Pro key from Kinguin for repairing an ageing laptop.

All three worked out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How on earth did they gently caress up something as fundamental as search
It's never worked at any level but perfect for me, but I 100% attribute that to Cortana not being available in my country and therefore it not using some Bing-based algorithm.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bing up Cortana's rear end

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

havenwaters posted:

To get a windows 7 style start menu back you can install classic shell. It still works the same in windows 10 as it did in windows 8/8.1

I don't visit SHSC that often but I'm kinda surprised this isn't in the op. Classic Shell has always worked flawlessly and gives a start menu that's better than anything MS could ever conceive.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SinineSiil posted:

I got a orange screen of death while I was playing a game. What the hell is it? I have never heard of it. Also after that reboot, Windows started installing updates with another restart.

What is orange screen of death? Google hasn't been very helpful about this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Haha gently caress so it really isn't just me then

Any fixes for this?

I keep sending MS feedback for this loving broken rear end search trash.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Snow Fire posted:

I tried, and search could not find it, checking the index, it's there. Doing some research, it seems exe files despite being in the search index, get filtered out by search itself for whatever reason.

It's annoying that search doesn't find them, but Windows probably has a whole lot of .exe files around that you are never supposed to run manually. 563 .exes under C:\Windows\System32\ alone. So it would make sense to only include the ones that have a shortcut.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Saukkis posted:

It's annoying that search doesn't find them, but Windows probably has a whole lot of .exe files around that you are never supposed to run manually. 563 .exes under C:\Windows\System32\ alone. So it would make sense to only include the ones that have a shortcut.

Windows doesn't index files inside the Windows folder, or many places for that matter. The only locations indexed are Internet Explorer History, OneNote, Offline Files, Start Menu, and everything in the Users folder excluding the AppData folders. Also, by default, encrypted files are excluded from the index. To add more locations and add encrypted filed requires you modify the index settings-nya~

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone find Windows 10 drivers for the old 690G northbridge AMD poo poo? My brother has this dumb little Windows 7 system that runs his barcode labeling for his farm. It's ancient but just works and farmers never throw poo poo out unless its really broken. I get a call from him that Windows 10 installed itself on there but that the video display is messed up. I check it out and its just using a basic display driver with poo poo resolution. Somehow it upgraded itself without a compatible device driver which I thought wasn't possible. It's an Asus M2A-VM, some old integrated Athlon X2 thing. Normally I would tell him to simply replace it but there's nothing wrong with it. I can't find display drivers for this thing and the Windows 8.1 drivers won't install because of a version check.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone find Windows 10 drivers for the old 690G northbridge AMD poo poo? My brother has this dumb little Windows 7 system that runs his barcode labeling for his farm. It's ancient but just works and farmers never throw poo poo out unless its really broken. I get a call from him that Windows 10 installed itself on there but that the video display is messed up. I check it out and its just using a basic display driver with poo poo resolution. Somehow it upgraded itself without a compatible device driver which I thought wasn't possible. It's an Asus M2A-VM, some old integrated Athlon X2 thing. Normally I would tell him to simply replace it but there's nothing wrong with it. I can't find display drivers for this thing and the Windows 8.1 drivers won't install because of a version check.

I'd consider rolling it back to Windows 7. I had a client's laptop eat its own hard disk due to driver issues under Windows 10 that I couldn't solve no matter what drivers I tried. It worked normally under Windows 7 so I just reinstalled that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I'd consider rolling it back to Windows 7. I had a client's laptop eat its own hard disk due to driver issues under Windows 10 that I couldn't solve no matter what drivers I tried. It worked normally under Windows 7 so I just reinstalled that.

I wish I could do that but he ran disk cleanup because it was whining about free space due to the old Windows Install. So of course he nuked it. Windows 10 or bust now I guess. Oh well, I will keep looking or tell him to upgrade the hardware I guess. Just such a waste, they've got default drivers for everything except the display which makes no sense to me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's silly but you could toss in a cheap video card like a 6450 or a GT620 that will have compatible drivers:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Profile-PCI-Express-R6450-MD1GD3-LP/dp/B004X6ABTM/ <- I have two of these and they're fine for basic use in Win10 even though they're not that recent
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P3-2621-RX <-this one is b-stock refurbished but comes with a year warranty

If his system is that old you may want to ask him what he's going to do if the hard disk dies or something else breaks just so he starts thinking about backups or replacements.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Gunslinger posted:

Somehow it upgraded itself without a compatible device driver which I thought wasn't possible.

This absolutely happens. Seen it myself, seems Microsoft have done no real testing/don't give a single gently caress about effectively crippling machines.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So I'm upgrading my CPU/Mobo tomorrow. From the looks of things in the OP, this might mean my Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7 will become invalidated? My current plan was to install the new parts, plug in my SSD with my current install, attempt to activate it if it lets me, then do a System Reset to clear previous drivers from the last mobo since that apparently keeps your system activation status. Anyone with experience doing this? I'm kind of in a pickle due to not knowing where the box with my Windows 7 cd key is, so I'm hoping this works so I don't need to hunt it down.

E: Couldn't find my Windows 7 box, but I did find my old HD with the Windows 7 install I previously had before I upgraded to a SSD. So I was able to copy the key with Jellybean Key Finder. Hopefully that'll be what I need.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 17, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Gunslinger posted:

I wish I could do that but he ran disk cleanup because it was whining about free space due to the old Windows Install. So of course he nuked it. Windows 10 or bust now I guess. Oh well, I will keep looking or tell him to upgrade the hardware I guess. Just such a waste, they've got default drivers for everything except the display which makes no sense to me.

Sometimes what'll work will be Windows 7 drivers even if Windows 8/8.1 drivers throw a fit and refuse to install. Give it a try, it can't hurt!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I tried, no joy. Oh well, I'll tell him to get a $30 videocard like rexxed suggested or just upgrade. I took a complete backup with Veeam for when it dies anyway so what the hell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the current Insider build of W10 Mobile (143xx, I forget the exact build) I can mark photos as favourites in the Photos app and set the live tile to show those favourites in the settings, but I can't do either of those things on 10586 on desktop. I assume that's just not a part of the current public build?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So I'm upgrading my CPU/Mobo tomorrow. From the looks of things in the OP, this might mean my Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7 will become invalidated? My current plan was to install the new parts, plug in my SSD with my current install, attempt to activate it if it lets me, then do a System Reset to clear previous drivers from the last mobo since that apparently keeps your system activation status. Anyone with experience doing this? I'm kind of in a pickle due to not knowing where the box with my Windows 7 cd key is, so I'm hoping this works so I don't need to hunt it down.

E: Couldn't find my Windows 7 box, but I did find my old HD with the Windows 7 install I previously had before I upgraded to a SSD. So I was able to copy the key with Jellybean Key Finder. Hopefully that'll be what I need.

Please report back on how this goes once it's over!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My Google-fu has failed me...

Is there any way to slipstream the 1151 update into the Windows 10 installer?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Do you mean the 1511 update?

You could always just search for an .iso file using the checksum.

The .iso I have has a SHA1 checksum of 875ec108288b9f581e5d8099cf0edb79f0f3e483

Even if you get it from a torrent site, so long as the SHA1 matches you know you've got yourself an unadulterated copy of the official MS release.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, Windows 10 bricked my home laptop. It won't even power on anymore. At least I have an external backup and can go back to an OS that works.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A lovely Reporter posted:

Welp, Windows 10 bricked my home laptop. It won't even power on anymore.

I really don't think windows 10 did that.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Welp, Windows 10 bricked my home laptop. It won't even power on anymore. At least I have an external backup and can go back to an OS that works.

EFI?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It happened during an attempted file restore. It locked up, turned itself off, then wouldn't power on again.

Edit: What's EFI?

Edit 2: Also it kept crashing after the update to 10. Took 15 minutes to start up, and File Explorer kept throwing errors during normal use.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 17, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DeaconBlues posted:

Do you mean the 1511 update?

You could always just search for an .iso file using the checksum.

The .iso I have has a SHA1 checksum of 875ec108288b9f581e5d8099cf0edb79f0f3e483

Even if you get it from a torrent site, so long as the SHA1 matches you know you've got yourself an unadulterated copy of the official MS release.

Derp, yeah, I meant 1511.

Ah so a ISO with 1511 included exists?

I know the official utility from MS' website to make a Windows 10 installer doesn't include it yet...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My laptop can't see my cousin's wifi network, but my Android phone can just fine. I set up a connection with the correct information anyway, but it didn't matter. What the hell is this about?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

My laptop can't see my cousin's wifi network, but my Android phone can just fine. I set up a connection with the correct information anyway, but it didn't matter. What the hell is this about?

Maybe the network is only available on 5 GHz band and your laptop doesn't support that.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I tried, no joy. Oh well, I'll tell him to get a $30 videocard like rexxed suggested or just upgrade. I took a complete backup with Veeam for when it dies anyway so what the hell.

poo poo, for :10bux: I've got a 512 mb video card that I know works on Windows 10 (was using it until a friend of mine gave me a way better card).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It happened during an attempted file restore. It locked up, turned itself off, then wouldn't power on again.

Edit 2: Also it kept crashing after the update to 10. Took 15 minutes to start up, and File Explorer kept throwing errors during normal use.

This rather sounds like your hard drive or RAM was already hosed up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

stevewm posted:

Derp, yeah, I meant 1511.

Ah so a ISO with 1511 included exists?

I know the official utility from MS' website to make a Windows 10 installer doesn't include it yet...

If you download a fresh copy of the latest Media Creation Tool, it will download version 1511 with updates up to April 2016.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 17, 2016

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

How on earth did they gently caress up something as fundamental as search

They've been loving it up since Win7, it's my single biggest beef

BTW the SM in Win10 only searches stuff within your C:\Users folder, if you have a redirected onedrive folder or any other files/folders outside that indexed you will have to hit "My Stuff" for it to search outside of C:\users

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

No. You had failed or failing hardware already and the stress of installing/updating to a new OS pushed it over the edge.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Won't power on again isn't likely to be the fault of software. Is it actually powering on but not booting? There isn't much hope for your backup saving the day if it really won't turn on.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

EFI == Extensible Firmware Interface, it replaced BIOS as a PC firmware standard a few years back since BIOS is old enough to have a college education and really needed replacing.

If the PC isn't even showing the boot-up screen then there's no way Windows did it, your laptop just happened to die at the wrong time. If it's getting to the boot process and that isn't working then something could have gotten screwed up with the install but it sounds like you probably have a hardware failure.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the help everyone. The thing doesn't even start at all. No fans, no lights, no sounds, the screen never activates. Guess the thing just kicked the bucket then. It was over a decade old at this point, but generally worked for what I used it for, mainly internet and playing older games. Thanks again.

Edit: The backup is on an external SSD that wasn't attached when the computer died, so hopefully it's intact.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm sure the backup is fine, I just meant it probably wouldn't be able to bring your computer back to life. Try taking the battery out of the laptop, unplugging it, and letting it sit for a few minutes, then try powering it up. It's possible the firmware that handles power on/off is in some kind of bad place and it won't reset until power is really removed.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Already tried that, no success. It happened about a week ago and I've been posting from a tablet with an add-on keyboard since then.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ToxicFrog posted:

Please report back on how this goes once it's over!

Good news, my Windows 7 key did successfully reactivate Windows once I put the new CPU/Mobo in. I'm doing the System Reset now to clean out all the previous stuff I had installed. I believe with the keys, Retail keys do work for multiple different Windows 10 upgrades since Retail licenses allow you to put the key on any computer you want, as long as only 1 is activated at once. OEM keys have their 1 computer limit, so you don't qualify for multiple Windows 10 free upgrades if you have an OEM key.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nielsm posted:

Maybe the network is only available on 5 GHz band and your laptop doesn't support that.

This was it exactly. Goddamn, Lenovo, put better poo poo in your laptops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

This was it exactly. Goddamn, Lenovo, put better poo poo in your laptops!

Don't even bother trying to replace the lovely stock wifi card with a better one. Lenovo whitelists which cards are allowed and refuses to boot if a different one is detected unless you're comfortable running a modded BIOS.

The takeaway from this is and all the prior event factory-bundled MitM attack and malware vectors: Never buy Lenovo, ever.